• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Shahadan

I like the way they handled the raids. Highmaul is fun and keeping the Foundry closed for a short while allow people to try the different difficulties rather than just forget about it. Stones for the legendary quest help there too.

Of course a lot of people have cleared heroic and even mythic but generally the majority of guilds are just ending their progress or near it.

Blackrock foundry opening only now also hopefully prevents the 8 month drought before another patch/raid. I guess that was the idea, as well as to manage better the general progress.

I really didn't like past tradition of having two or three different raids open right at the start.

ZenaxPure

It certainly took away a lot of resources that would have otherwise been spent on endgame, that's for sure.

Absolutely, and despite knowing that it took up a ton of development resources that could have been spent on other stuff I still think it was the right call to revamp all of those old zones, they were incredibly off putting to new players coming to the game (which blizzard has said as much in the past). Too many group quests that were basically impossible to new players because on most servers not many people were leveling alts and the flow of zones was really weird, not to mention a lot of the weird quest placement. Want the SM quests as Alliance? I hope you're ready to travel all the way to the middle of no where in Desolace to do a quest chain that unlocks a dungeon quest on the other continent.

As an unrelated side note I actually miss the cata SM quests that got trashed with the redesign in MoP, that shit was weird and not serious in a way that was the complete polar opposite of the seriousness of the original SM but I loved it.

cdyhybrid

Is there any suggestion that Blizzard views this as a problem, or are they sort of okay with one faction being clearly superior for PvP?

It hasn't changed yet despite people telling them that the racials were broken for a long time, so I guess they don't view it as a problem.

Either that or they're just so painfully slow at getting things done that by the time they actually fix it, the damage will have been done.

So my cache gave me a Mythic cloak...

Which I already have the heroic, socketed version of. It's a minor upgrade at best.

Meanwhile, one of the other DKs in my guild got mythic warforged shoulders from Imperator a week or two ago.

GG.

Bisonian

Is there any suggestion that Blizzard views this as a problem, or are they sort of okay with one faction being clearly superior for PvP?

This is from Dec 5th:

Anyways, could you talk about the design decisions behind the balance of racials? I know I'm not alone here when I say it feels like the Alliance has a definite upper hand compared to the Horde.

Blizzard said:
Ah well, it is time for the alliance to shine. Horde has been quite the trendy thing for the last decade it seems. ;]

After the start of the pvp season.. are you guys committed to fixing the faction imbalance in arena due to racial passives?

Blizzard said:
I addressed this in another post but the TLDR answer is that we think there is more at play than racials at determing faction representation on the ladder. Specifically, you cannot play arenas cross-faction and people usually play arenas with their friends. People will decide that one faction is the "best faction" and go to that one (even if the advantage is marginal).

source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content...raenor-in-Patch-6-1-Hotfixes-for-December-4th

Opiate

Even if we were to agree that the Horde was disproportionately represented in the past (and I'm not sure we would in the EU, for instance), there is absolutely no way there was a time when 99.5% of the top PvPers were Horde as is the case right now in reverse.

Renekton

I asked Nahj and Venruki on twitch stream, they said the racials are not a big deal.

According to them, it's just that all the big PvP names decided to move to a specific faction + battlegroup, creating a silicon valley effect. If you want serious PvP, you have to get into the same community to find good supply of partners and matches.

cdyhybrid

I asked Nahj and Venruki on twitch stream, they said the racials are not a big deal.

It's just that all the big PvP names decided to move to a specific faction + battlegroup. Like the silicon valley effect, if you want serious PvP, you have to get into the same community to find good supply of partners.

Silly mindset when the reason people were there at all in the first place was for the racials.

Opiate

According to them, it's just that all the big PvP names decided to move to a specific faction + battlegroup, creating a silicon valley effect. If you want serious PvP, you have to get into the same community to find good supply of partners and matches.

That's one hell of a network effect. Using your example, it isn't as if 99.5% of all the America's tech companies (let alone the world's tech companies) are in silicon valley.

Mordeccai

Okay so this is a stupid question, but what would happen if a Frost DK was dpsing in Unholy stance? It gives a whopping 10% haste, but makes Frost Strike more expensive. With obliterate being my biggest source of dmg I am left wondering what the effects would be.

Rokam

What's the name of said guild? I don't think I've ever seen another GAFer from Maiev, and it was a pretty small community in BC/Wrath.

Understatement, was on Alliance for a tiny bit during BC, hit 70 and there would only be like 10 other max levels, if that, on at peak times. Poor Maiev :(.

Well, today I refunded my game time.

Sadly my guild fell apart
because our guild leader went to USA and fell in love and decided to get the US nationality
and none of the members continued to form or run anything and flee too.

JoeMartin

Can your class be a human? You should be human if you want to seriously PvP as it turns out having two DPS trinkets where everyone else has one is a rather big deal.

It's that easy.

Adaren

Even if we were to agree that the Horde was disproportionately represented in the past (and I'm not sure we would in the EU, for instance), there is absolutely no way there was a time when 99.5% of the top PvPers were Horde as is the case right now in reverse.

I don't think it's that unreasonable.

You want to be a best-in-the-world PvPer. Human racials are generally considered slightly stronger and race changes are relatively cheap. What are you going to do?

It's probably true that Humans have a slight PvP advantage, but looking at the most-hardcore-of-the-hardcore PvPers won't tell you how much stronger they are.

Draxal

That's one hell of a network effect. Using your example, it isn't as if 99.5% of all the America's tech companies (let alone the world's tech companies) are in silicon valley.

Not really, as it's incredibly easy to faction change instead of uprooting yourself to San Fran?

Bisonian

Oh shit, you're Adamant! That's why your name sounded familiar. I was good friends with Wowtenk in while we raided in Order of Medivh, before he moved to PWA. It's a small world after all.

Hey hey, small world =) Yeah, a bunch of the old guard came back for this expansion. Maybe it was the similarities in theme to TBC, or maybe it was just time after a couple of years of Pandas. We even helped <Wolfpack> with H-Imp the other day. Great to see so many familiar faces.

Usually the big names know each other, no? I mean, when I followed some League streamers like TSM or Curse, they were all buddy buddy with each other(To the point where there've been some 'poaching' issues amongs players, they don't know when to separate a friendly talk that can influence someones team decision to business).

Doesn't seem that farfetched for WoW.

Draxal

This week's Garrison Mission grants you a rapid spawning source of rep and iron horde scrap as long as you don't complete it lol.

And you can't get the followever even though the CM said the hotfix was live, so might as well not complete it.

edit, and I'm kinda salty at Blizz atm.

Follower means nothing in the long run, but it was an issue that was ignored on the ptr when people mentioned it, I'll just ignore Blizzard cm's at this point if they will only spread misinformation.

Renekton

Follower means nothing in the long run, but it was an issue that was ignored on the ptr when people mentioned it, I'll just ignore Blizzard cm's at this point if they will only spread misinformation.
No complaints from me, my followers gave me 670, 645, 645 which just barely qualified me for heroic PUG ilvls.

Lanrutcon

Oh lord.

Warlock
Talents
Demonbolt (Demonology) now deals 25% less damage against other players in PvP combat.

So if (if) you actually get a Demonbolt off on another player it'll hit like a wet noodle.

Because Demonology Warlocks were totally a threat in pvp. To someone. Somewhere. Probably. If that someone was asleep. Or brain dead. And not playing a class that can interrupt. Or silence. Or stun. Or sleep. Or fear. Or reflect.

vocab

Oh lord.

So if (if) you actually get a Demonbolt off on another player it'll hit like a wet noodle.

Because Demonology Warlocks were totally a threat in pvp. To someone. Somewhere. Probably. If that someone was asleep. Or brain dead. And not playing a class that can interrupt. Or silence. Or stun. Or sleep. Or fear. Or reflect.

Casters are fucking garbage in PvP its sickening. I just pretend PvP doesn't exist. Its a joke.

TheYanger

It's always been this way in the high end pvp community. They very literally just decide on a battlegroup/server/faction to go to, and go there. Has happened several times.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Now that the honeymoon is over, how would WoD rank in the annals of WoW expansions?

There are parts of it that are fantastic and beautiful, and being able to look back on some of the better parts of Burning Crusade and WC 1 & 2 are fantastic, and while they're still doing the whole "watch other people do the cool shit" cinematic thing, the lore is pretty well crafted. I like the garrison as an idea. It seems more like it's a demo of something they wanted to be more complicated but had to redline features because they realized that it would take them forever. Still, having customizable "housing" is a neat addition and it gives you a good set of goals beyond reputation farming.

However, the time gating has also been carried to a relatively nasty conclusion (I caught up just before WoD on the Mists content and thought the gardening was BS, but the crafting gates are something else) and I don't understand why they'd finally do things like let the professions craft full suits of gear (which we've asked for 10 years) and have it cost a fortune in mats that are already behind a large time and resource gate (some of which you simply can't back into from the AH with any reasonability) and still not let you wear the full suit you crafted because it might be "too much", even though to get to "too much" you have to spend even more time and resources on upgrades.

I still think Wrath is the best expansion they've put out. Burning Crusade was great at the time, but it's hard to go back to since it not only looks but feels old, since it was under the old "get some bear ass and come back to me, now go back to that same place and get some bear nose for me" questing model. I actually liked Cataclysm, so I'm the odd man out there. I wasn't around for Pandaria and like I said, just accelerated a guy through it to get ready for WoD, so can't really rate anything more than the Alliance leveling experience. I can say that WoD is the most visually appealing expansion as well, given the extra details they've been putting into things like landscape and the mobs, which is very obvious if you're a hunter and you pull out a BC-era pet and have it take on its counterpart (e.g. kaliri vs kaliri).

I like my Warlock quite a bit, but I don't kid myself... the reason it's not hell to play is because the AI's bound by a threat model that is too stupid to know that my voidlord is a silly distraction and that I'm the one they should be hurting. Humans don't have that problem.

ampere

Okay so this is a stupid question, but what would happen if a Frost DK was dpsing in Unholy stance? It gives a whopping 10% haste, but makes Frost Strike more expensive. With obliterate being my biggest source of dmg I am left wondering what the effects would be.

I'd recommend you sim your character in Frost Presence and then redo the sim in Unholy to see the difference.

https://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/wiki/Downloads?tm=2

The 15 RP cost reduction to Frost Strike and increased RP generation from Frost Presence are big

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
agreed.. 100 mats PER PIECE means you would be fully geared in 45 DAYS... in 640 gear. then another 68 days give or take to upgrade all of those to 655. So you are looking at 4 months just to get fully decked out in 655. I see no purpose in putting the 3 pieces limitation in there. (I am only talking about armor obviously.. not trinkets, rings, weapon, etc)

on an unrelated note, you have to become "crusader" with argent tourney to be able to buy heirlooms? holy fuck!!! that sucks....

ampere

agreed.. 100 mats PER PIECE means you would be fully geared in 45 DAYS... in 640 gear. then another 68 days give or take to upgrade all of those to 655. So you are looking at 4 months just to get fully decked out in 655. I see no purpose in putting the 3 pieces limitation in there. (I am only talking about armor obviously.. not trinkets, rings, weapon, etc)

on an unrelated note, you have to become "crusader" with argent tourney to be able to buy heirlooms? holy fuck!!! that sucks....

Well you could buy the pieces from the AH or make them on alts. So if there were no limit someone with an alt army could make full 670 gear (yea it would take a lot of bloods, but is possible).

I would wait on heirlooms until 6.1. Then you can buy them with gold

borghe

Huh, where did you read that? I've seen nothing on the PTR to suggest this is the case.

sry. talking about buying them with champion seals from the argent tourney.... not the upcoming heirloom tab.

I would wait on heirlooms until 6.1. Then you can buy them with gold

I am poor. Between my two mains I have like 16K... :( Heirlooms from the tourney and DMF take time which I have a tiny bit more of (not much) than gold.

Robin64

Ah right okay, yeah.

Also, they're only about 600g each from the heirloom vendor in 6.1. Think you can easily grab a couple every so often at that price without seeing any dent to your gold.

ZenaxPure

sry. talking about buying them with champion seals from the argent tourney.... not the upcoming heirloom tab.

They are also fairly expensive from the argent tourney, I think it takes a few days just to be able to buy one piece. Of course you can work on them every day instead of just once a month like the DMF so its not a big deal.

Mupod

guild is finally starting to get serious about Mythic progression. Got Twins and Kargath down as of last night, and we can now field 20 people without pugging. We're apparently going to start up DKP again too, ha. Would've been nice last night as I still have a 651 neck, and twins dropped two of their caster necks.

We should be a bit more respectable in Foundry assuming we can keep recruitment rolling. We had to have a longtime guild member sit out for our Twins kill because he was an hour late, people weren't used to this after weeks of 'sure, bring everybody' to normal/heroic. But that's the way it goes.

CassSept

Now that the honeymoon is over, how would WoD rank in the annals of WoW expansions?

For reference: my subscription lapsed earlier this month. I raided during TBC-WotLK, barely played during Cata and played casual/solo during Mists.

While leveling content is excellent, there is absolutely nothing interesting to do at 100. Yes, dailies in 5.0 MoP were pita, but at least they got you out into the world. LFR was at least interesting to do to fill your time. Pet battles were new, professions were improved, archeo was bad but at least you could fly to reduce time grinding stuff. For the first year the pace at which content was unlocked/added was handled quite deftly.

While you're going 90-100 it's easily the best and most fun experience WoW had ever provided. After that, everything is downhill. It's just uninteresting. As of now I'd put it between Wrath and Cata. TBC/Mists>Wrath>Warlords>Cata.

It's kinda Wrath redux in that regard. Leveling up to 80 was fun and then everything went downhill. 3.1 gave us Ulduar, but apart from that once you hit 80 the best part was over, sadly.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Due to our main raid being cancelled last night due to lack of attendance, we decided to do Heroic Highmaul with some people who stuck around.

I actually got to tank on my Brewmaster which was super fun! Got a couple of upgrades out of it.

Ciassu: Why did Brackenspore truck me so hard :(!

borghe

this whole flying thing follows the usual official forums "flavor of the week bitch-fest". Everyone wants to bitch, and then usually uniformly jumps onto one topic and beats it to a bloody pulp..

I can't fly in SWTOR
I can't fly in FFXIV
I can fly in DCUO
I could fly in COH (RIP)

The point isn't and should have never been about whether you can fly or not.. in a game, an expansion, whatever. It is and always has simply been about the environment the devs give us. If you can fly then it's because they created the level/world design in question for you to fly around. If you can't, then it's because they created it in a way that you weren't really meant to fly around. There is no "flying is right or wrong". Only "you can fly in this content. You can't fly in that content"

Frankly it sucks that the devs went ahead and stated right out their plans/intent (no flying in the near future), and the playerbase reacts by saying "I don't care that you have reasons and goals, I want it". People bitch that the devs give in to the play base too often, but then when the devs stand their ground people bitch that the devs don't give in to the playerbase.

While you're going 90-100 it's easily the best and most fun experience WoW had ever provided. After that, everything is downhill. It's just uninteresting. As of now I'd put it between Wrath and Cata. TBC/Mists>Wrath>Warlords>Cata.
The garrison stuff has actually held my interest quite a bit.. they've largely trivialized heroics (I really don't think they should have eliminated faction rep) and LFR is pretty shortly lived.. but at the same time they've also made so much of the previous content playable for us also... as someone who has beaten ALL of that content into the ground maybe not a difference.. but for me for example.. just doing the argent tourney stuff has been pretty fun the past week.

ampere

Ciassu: Why did Brackenspore truck me so hard :(!

Using Guard for each breath? Other than that and the adds at high stacks, the damage shouldn't be too bad. Elusive Brew during a breath and when add stacks are high helps out

Also helps if a Disc Priest is healing tanks since absorbs all work during breath

Hope the PTR class changes address Avatar and Slam. Would really like to see Avatar as a viable alternative, especially for fights with burst windows. They should rework Slam as well to assuage those that are upset with arm's rotation and make it viable.

I've stayed subbed longer than MoP (the premade finder tool is great), so far LK>WoD>MoP=TBC>Cata for me

Top Bottom