• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

cdyhybrid

Why is Hunter armor all so ugly? :p

Any PVPers here? How are Ret Pallies/Warriors/Warlocks doing? I know they're all pretty good, but what're the differences between them?

Draxal

Why is Hunter armor all so ugly? :p

Any PVPers here? How are Ret Pallies/Warriors/Warlocks doing? I know they're all pretty good, but what're the differences between them?

I really liked the look of the boost armor (the dwarven rifelman); salty that shoulders are supposedly not transmoggable.

Also, on that normal/heroic thing, I'm wondering how many of those players are from south of the equator (my experience is that there's been very good brazilian players but when they go bad, THEY GO BAD).

Mordeccai

not right now. its only for the game store, apparently.

i think when they allow you to buy game time and sell it in game you'll be able to use balance for it. that should be shortly.

but you wouldnt pay for your sub, you would buy game time and use that as an in-game item that you can also sell/buy for gold

Oooooh, buying game time with gold? That's interesting. Thanks for the info!

TheYanger

funkiest bug I've seen in this game. on ptr tonight and hanz and franz was doing this to everyone, (or crashing some folks).
WXCwTpT.jpg

JSoup

Banned
Ha, looks like buildings will remember orders between moves. When I replaced my Trading Post for the Inn, I guess I still had a few orders going. They finished and I got them when I switch my Trading Post back in.

Lanrutcon

Preach gaming posted a video about why this is happening. It made a lot of sense. The very bad players can't beat silver proving grounds.

My WoW playing gf. My keyboard turning, manually clicking her icons, too scared to step into any instance, gears according to what looks good doesn't know her rotation BM Hunter playing gf cleared silver on her second try.

I find it super hard to believe there's a large community of players out there who can't get passed silver. I just can't.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Oooooh, buying game time with gold? That's interesting. Thanks for the info!

yeah but i cant imagine them being very affordable unless they flood the market.

also, it will be interesting to see what prices they end up at. i wouldnt mind saving a few bucks every now and then by offloading some gold, but we'll see.

Robin64

I find it super hard to believe there's a large community of players out there who can't get passed silver. I just can't.

This. Really? When I first hit 100, I was doing slightly under 10k dps and the silver proving ground was still so easy I was waiting between rounds twiddling my fingers.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Preach gaming posted a video about why this is happening. It made a lot of sense. The very bad players can't beat silver proving grounds.

He spends 10 minutes saying the same thing over and over what he said in the first 2 minutes. Annoying video.

Anyway, it is interesting. I guess we will see if mmo champion does a survey of armory characters

mileS

How well are survival hunters doing dps wise further into the expansion according to the sim thing?
Pretty far ahead of the other two specs. It will probably be like that for a while. Which is fine by me because its by far the most fun spec to raid as anyway.

Everyone is mostly using focusing shot now. Makes hunters less mobile then everyone who doesn't play one assumes we still are. Don't get me wrong, still extremely mobile but it takes some planning ahead now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
yeah but i cant imagine them being very affordable unless they flood the market.

also, it will be interesting to see what prices they end up at. i wouldnt mind saving a few bucks every now and then by offloading some gold, but we'll see.

Watch them making it 15k gold for a month.

M.D

Pretty far ahead of the other two specs. It will probably be like that for a while. Which is fine by me because its by far the most fun spec to raid as anyway.

Everyone is mostly using focusing shot now. Makes hunters less mobile then everyone who doesn't play one assumes we still are. Don't get me wrong, still extremely mobile but it takes some planning ahead now.

Any idea how it's doing compared to other classes?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I know 6.1 and brf aren't linked strictly, but what are the chances 6.1 will be released next tues?

Probably around 10%. Sucks too, I really want to play around with the warrior talent changes in BRF, but will have to wait until we're 2-3 weeks into the raid tier probably. Might even be later as they may want to coincide the 6.1 release with the end of the first warlords arena season (because of the pvp changes, especially the set bonuses), but who knows.

For anyone that cares, here's a doc that shows the theoretical dps gains from the t17 2pc/4pc for every spec. The Arms and Unholy sims are outdated as the spreadsheet doesn't include the recent changes.

ampere

Since 6.1 has tuning changes I bet they try to get it in for the first week of Mythic BRF

Would be awkward to do pre-determined tuning changes mid-Mythic, but they do that sometimes.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Since 6.1 has tuning changes I bet they try to get it in for the first week of Mythic BRF

Would be awkward to do pre-determined tuning changes mid-Mythic, but they do that sometimes.

True. And they usually prioritize PvE over PvP so wouldn't be surprised if they value the Mythic race over the pvp season. At the same time though, they could view the talent changes differently from standard tuning changes--the logic being 6.1 gives you more options by bringing talents A and B to talent C's level (ideally), but in the end, you're still performing at talent C's level.

JSoup

Banned

At the same time, I don't fully agree that getting silver is the perfect seal of quality.
Remember a bunch of pages ago that I was complaining about silver? Before clearing it, I visited a WoW playing friend who had just gotten silver on his mage.
This mage was a tad less geared than mine, but cleared silver after a bunch of tries. Before he gave me pointers, he let me set his mage up like mine (fire spec, same skills, etc.) and run a heroic.

I did fine, was top DPS and was complimented at the end of the heroic. Without ever getting silver myself, I did just damn fine. Which was pretty heartening at the time, as it confirmed that I did know how to mage, it was my rotation that needed work (and a spec change).

Silver isn't a perfect metric of ones abilities.

Bisnic

At the same time, I don't fully agree that getting silver is the perfect seal of quality.
Remember a bunch of pages ago that I was complaining about silver? Before clearing it, I visited a WoW playing friend who had just gotten silver on his mage.
This mage was a tad less geared than mine, but cleared silver after a bunch of tries. Before he gave me pointers, he let me set his mage up like mine (fire spec, same skills, etc.) and run a heroic.

I did fine, was top DPS and was complimented at the end of the heroic. Without ever getting silver myself, I did just damn fine. Which was pretty heartening at the time, as it confirmed that I did know how to mage, it was my rotation that needed work (and a spec change).

Still better than letting everyone enter them with only average item lvl as the deciding factor.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It isn't, you're right, but for DPS at least if you know your rotation it becomes more about avoiding the various things that will kill you or interrupting spells.

I will admit I have noticed that when I do run heroics, which I haven't for a little while now, I'm not nearly as enraged by the end as I remember being in Cata or WotLK. People don't stand in fire, I don't have to interrupt literally everything, hunters turn growl off on their pets and I'm usually not top DPS.

So while silver proving grounds isn't necessarily a mark of quality, if you don't seek help in getting past it we're probably better off not grouping with you. I don't mean you specifically, as you did seek help fixing what you were doing wrong, I mean "you" in the more general sense of the players that don't bother trying to get better.

Kuntz

I'd like to start a pvp rogue.
Any general tips? I never played this class.
also : Would it be alright to use my 90 boost?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I posted a few weeks ago about how Proving Grounds (the scenario for heroics access) was ridiculously hard at ilevel 576.. Now at 605 I went through Bronze again just to see the difference... whoa... I mean I never even dropped below 90% mana. Silver took me a few times (actually a number of them) until I realized that you HAVE TO DISPEL.. I thought I remember the default UI (what I'm using) showing a big glowing border around dispellable debuffs on party members.. but it isn't right now.. I believe it IS still only showing dispellable ones but the lack of the border made me think I couldn't do that.. once I realized I could (needed to) dispell that bubble it was pretty easy.

my main complaint about the default UI is that (for a healer) your unit frame is a different size than everyone else's. I love in FFXIV how by default you are at the top of the list BUT you appear just like everyone else.

anyway, 5 more levels til I can do heroics.. should get that tonight with just a piece or two.

Jarnet87

Cancelled my sub. Haven't logged for weeks. I was playing a new disc priest before to try and spike some new interest. Just got back into Project 99 so that is filling for MMO fix for now. I have until Feb 26th to play so I may check our BRF and 6.1. changes look good so far.

Bisnic

so I posted a few weeks ago about how Proving Grounds (the scenario for heroics access) was ridiculously hard at ilevel 576.. Now at 605 I went through Bronze again just to see the difference... whoa... I mean I never even dropped below 90% mana. Silver took me a few times (actually a number of them) until I realized that you HAVE TO DISPEL.. I thought I remember the default UI (what I'm using) showing a big glowing border around dispellable debuffs on party members.. but it isn't right now.. I believe it IS still only showing dispellable ones but the lack of the border made me think I couldn't do that.. once I realized I could (needed to) dispell that bubble it was pretty easy.

my main complaint about the default UI is that (for a healer) your unit frame is a different size than everyone else's. I love in FFXIV how by default you are at the top of the list BUT you appear just like everyone else.

anyway, 5 more levels til I can do heroics.. should get that tonight with just a piece or two.

You know you can change the default UI to appear as raid frames, even for 5 mans dungeons? Your frame will be the same size as everyone else, and you can even put class colors or stuff like "health remaining" on the frames and can move them around your screen if you prefer to have them in the middle rather than the default top left corner of your screen. I vastly prefer healing 5 mans that way, it will make your healing job much easier and will make you think "Wtf was I doing all this time?".

ampere

You know you can change the default UI to appear as raid frames, even for 5 mans dungeons? Your frame will be the same size as everyone else, and you can even put class colors or stuff like "health remaining" on the frames and can move them around your screen if you prefer to have them in the middle rather than the default top left corner of your screen. I vastly prefer healing 5 mans that way, it will make your healing job much easier and will make you think "Wtf was I doing all this time?".

Yeah borghe I highly recommend you follow this advice if you are a healer. You don't need an addon for healing frames, but raid style party frames are a massive upgrade IMO. You can stretch them out and move them around too. It should look like this:

And you can remove the border, enable/disable class colors, enable/disable power bars, change width/height, change position, etc.

Mordeccai

Nah probably will be closer to 150k.

holy hell. if it is anywhere near this then I will finally have found a way to solve my gold woes. I am terribad at making money in WoW, all I know how to do is sell my profession crafted gear and farm old instances for vendor trash/battle pets.

TheYanger

As expected, the Unholy set bonus is garbage. Might have to switch to Frost in Foundry.

Mage is already pretty strong, so that 10% boost will be even bigger.

No surprise of course since that unholy bonus is legitimately "WTF" inducing. I still can't believe anyone seriously made it what it is. I did like a quadruple take the first time I read it.

borghe

did not know that.

will do the second I get home and turn my mac on..

speaking of... is that at the system level or UI level.. i.e. will that follow me across characters, servers, and/or Mac/Windows?

Bisnic

did not know that.

will do the second I get home and turn my mac on..

speaking of... is that at the system level or UI level.. i.e. will that follow me across characters, servers, and/or Mac/Windows?

You need to make that change per character.

i.e., if you do that change on your disc priest, it won't affect your holy paladin UI.

borghe

You need to make that change per character.

i.e., if you do that change on your disc priest, it won't affect your holy paladin UI.
cool! I actually never had problems healing 5-mans in MOP with the default frames.. just a combination of FFXIV defaulting to a raid-style frame and getting used to that, on top of (I'm assuming) Proving Grounds Silver trying to be super tricky about dishing out damage and debuffs (at least trickier than I EVER remember MOP being)

ampere

holy hell. if it is anywhere near this then I will finally have found a way to solve my gold woes. I am terribad at making money in WoW, all I know how to do is sell my profession crafted gear and farm old instances for vendor trash/battle pets.

Don't quote me on that... I am making a huge guess I just think it will be more than 10 - 15k

I just looked it up and a quick Google suggests that $4/10k. So we might be looking at ~40k gold for 1 month token if those rates are accurate and stay stable. I was way off lol. This could also cause the economy to alter a bit and that might not be the rate that people average out at.

Minion101

Banned
My WoW playing gf. My keyboard turning, manually clicking her icons, too scared to step into any instance, gears according to what looks good doesn't know her rotation BM Hunter playing gf cleared silver on her second try.

Why? This game has 10 million people playing it.

Probably around 10%. Sucks too, I really want to play around with the warrior talent changes in BRF, but will have to wait until we're 2-3 weeks into the raid tier probably. Might even be later as they may want to coincide the 6.1 release with the end of the first warlords arena season (because of the pvp changes, especially the set bonuses), but who knows.

For anyone that cares, here's a doc that shows the theoretical dps gains from the t17 2pc/4pc for every spec. The Arms and Unholy sims are outdated as the spreadsheet doesn't include the recent changes.

Yeah I want to give arms a go but I still don't have a heroic two hander and I'd feel like a dick to roll against those that still are using a 655 weapon. That two hander off the fourth boss in BRF looks near perfect in stats and the one handers off the first boss are perfect stats for fury.

borghe

beating silver DPS ~607 with destro lock and silver heal ~605 with disc priest..

silver PG isn't hard*

*until round 8 when they turn it from "perform your role" to "oh except we're going to make it a puzzle game. can yuo figure out the missing pieces?"

for healing it mostly comes down to the debuff spam. For DPS it comes down to running the amber things into the other dudes. if you can handle those then performance and/or gearing are largely irrelevant. though at 576 healing bronze was brutal :p

TheYanger

Those are things that you're going to need to do in dungeons as well, though. Dispelling is a core part of healing, and paying at least a tiny bit of attention to what is going on is pretty important to dps not dying.

Adaren

Wow, they changed the ilvl requirements for Proving Grounds?

I remember for WoD in the beginning, you had to be 610 to even go in.

Are you sure?

I recall hitting 100 and clearing Gold Damage with like a 585 ilvl as a Brewmaster. I didn't level terribly quickly, but I'm certain I hit 100 within two weeks of launch.

EDIT: Nevermind for me as well, then!

M.D

just finished a full guild run (normal)

i was locked to everything except kor'agh and imp and i wanted that imp trinket for so long
it finally dropped, 3 rolled for it

and i rolled 97

what are the chances ;p

Top Bottom