• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Karl Hawk

Banned
Recently, I've been reading stuff about attunements across the web, even reading arguments from both sides. Whether attunements is a good way to measure a player's dedication and worthy enough to get into raiding, and whether Blizz should bring it back. I found it a rather... interesting topic.

So personally, I'd like to ask you guys this: Do you think raid attunements should return? Why or not? I'd like to hear what you have on this topic from your own point of view.

cdyhybrid

Recently, I've been reading stuff about attunements across the web, even reading arguments from both sides. Whether attunements is a good way to measure a player's dedication and worthy enough to get into raiding, and whether Blizz should bring it back. I found it a rather... interesting topic.

So personally, I'd like to ask you guys this: Do you think raid attunements should return? Why or not? I'd like to hear what you have on this topic from your own point of view.

No.

The barrier should be the ability to perform mechanics and beat the fights.

vocab

Attunements suck, and are awful for alts. Most people carry through people through attunements anyway so it has no measure of skill.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Attunements have always sucked, they never made any real sense and just served as an annoyance.

ampere

Attunements are cool as a nostalgia thing, but they aren't really good gameplay.

You could argue there's a pseudo-attunement in WoD anyway. The Legendary questline. You have to do a bunch of heroic dungeons for it.

ZenaxPure

You could argue there's a pseudo-attunement in WoD anyway. The Legendary questline. You have to do a bunch of heroic dungeons for it.

I feel similar. I actually enjoyed attunements, the quests themselves that is. Took you all over the world doing various things and they felt really grand story-wise compared to most of the quests in the game. That said though, having to do them to gain access to a raid is lame and I'm glad they aren't a thing anymore.

I feel like the legendary quest chain model in MoP/WoD captures what I liked about attunement quests without all the annoyances that came with them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel similar. I actually enjoyed attunements, the quests themselves that is. Took you all over the world doing various things and they felt really grand story-wise compared to most of the quests in the game. That said though, having to do them to gain access to a raid is lame and I'm glad they aren't a thing anymore.

I feel like the legendary quest chain model in MoP/WoD captures what I liked about attunement quests without all the annoyances that came with them.

Agreed. I liked the fact that there were huge quests spanning the entire world and would like to see more of that, but locking the raids behind these quests is just silly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Those are things that you're going to need to do in dungeons as well, though. Dispelling is a core part of healing, and paying at least a tiny bit of attention to what is going on is pretty important to dps not dying.
I've raid healed as disc priest in mop, resto shaman in vanilla and BC, and WHM in FFXIV. Not sure if you've done the silver healing PG or not but it is definitely NOT representative of heroics. Most heroics are slow timers, constant damage across dps, and tank damage. Debuffs exist in modern heroics but outside of the rare exception most largely use the "don't stand in the fire" mechanic.

I'm not saying I'm the greatest healer to ever play the game by a long shot. However I've healed enough years to know the PG trials are more puzzle oriented than real world training. This is proven by a clear delineator that takes the encounter from "omg hard" to nearly trivial. It's fine. It is what it is. Again, I just don't think it really accomplishes the "if you can beat this you can heal anything!!"
I would be okay with account-wide attunements.
They sort of already do this with account wide achievements. Achievements unlock level 3 blueprints, give you heroics access with just ilevel, etc. overall I'd be fine with that also. Though I do agree that they are still kind of dumb aside from the adventure aspect of it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The legendary questlines are the reason why I gave up on playing my alts in PvE, it's just far too tedious to go through that twice.

Some Vanilla attunements were really fun to do because they provided epic content with effects that could be experienced once per character and had a direct impact on the game lore (Onyxia).

As a gating mechanic they were deleterious on the health of any raiding guild. Either you raced new recruits through old content to bring them up to speed, or you picked your way through already-attuned applicants of questionable timber. In either case it made natural attrition more of a pain than it needed to be.

Attunements to raids should never be brought back the way they existed during Vanilla/TBC. I'm fine with requiring something to unlock access to a dungeon or raid (the way normal unlocked heroics back when). but there should always be a workaround like paying gold (Naxx40) or having access get unlocked account-wide (Ordos).

ZenaxPure

The legendary questlines are the reason why I gave up on playing my alts in PvE, it's just far too tedious to go through that twice.

I just don't bother with them on my alts. It's not like I am doing anything with those alts where they absolutely need the legendary items from those quests anyway. I pretty heavily played 2 of my alts through MoP but I only ever got the cape on my main, didn't really care as I had seen and played through the content already.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They sort of already do this with account wide achievements. Achievements unlock level 3 blueprints, give you heroics access with just ilevel, etc. overall I'd be fine with that also. Though I do agree that they are still kind of dumb aside from the adventure aspect of it.

I agree but in the case of a garrison thing it's just so you don't have to grind again.

But yeah, exactly the way they do it with the achievements would be my preference. Gives a sense of accomplishment that is different from only questing.

Sigh. More raid team turmoil. And there aren't any other teams in the guild that need a DK that would work for me.

Not sure yet but it might just be the tipping point for me to unsub awhile. I know BRF is just around the corner, but I don't think I have it in me to do a guild search right now.

Got some RL things I could be worrying about that are more important too.

Lore question; What are Gul'Dan, Cho'gall, Terongore and company up to? They oppose the Iron Horde, but they also oppose the Alliance and Horde. So what are they pushing for?

JSoup

Banned
Lore question; What are Gul'Dan, Cho'gall, Terongore and company up to? They oppose the Iron Horde, but they also oppose the Alliance and Horde. So what are they pushing for?

-Gul'dan is pushing to demon up the planet and continue fel flirting with Khadgar. It's anticipated that by 6.3, they'll be officially dating.
-Cho'gall is trying to screw with Highmaul and being a general dick to Gul'dan.
-Teron'gore is preoccupied with being dead, maybe. He falls of the platform in Auchindoun, so he's either dead or "what a twist!" is coming.

-Gul'dan is pushing to demon up the planet and continue fel flirting with Khadgar. It's anticipated that by 6.3, they'll be officially dating.
-Teron'gore is preoccupied with being dead, maybe. He falls of the platform in Auchindoun, so he's either dead or "what a twist!" is coming.

Teron'gor is definitely alive to some extent. The fight ends at around 10%, he's not dead dead. He'll be back for the Gul'Dan raid.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Spoiler for one of them:
Cho'gall is dead. You fight (and kill) him in mythic Highmaul.

I'm just trying to figure out what they're all working on. I was surprised to see Ner'zhul working with the Iron Horde. I thought these four would be working with the Burning Legion or something like that. Trying to figure out what they're endgame is in this time line, as it is not the same as the Iron Horde's.

ZenaxPure

Teron'gor is definitely alive to some extent. The fight ends at around 10%, he's not dead dead. He'll be back for the Gul'Dan raid.

Yeah, we don't loot his body or anything, it's pretty obvious that we're not done with him yet.

In general though the Shadow Council seems to be the focus of the legendary quest chain, their story is probably going to play out pretty slowly over the course of the expansion as we do our ring stuff.

edit: Ner'zhul working for the Iron Horde is because he had no choice pretty much. In the alliance SMV quest line there is a quest with his mate Rulkan where you learn that the Iron Horde forced them to join or die pretty much so he chose to join to protect his people. Rulkan doesn't agree and her and some others become exiles who oppose the rest of the clan.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm just trying to figure out what they're all working on. I was surprised to see Ner'zhul working with the Iron Horde. I thought these four would be working with the Burning Legion or something like that. Trying to figure out what they're endgame is in this time line, as it is not the same as the Iron Horde's.

Ner'zhul was actually never a fan of the Burning Legion. Gul'Dan's rise to power in the original timeline was actually due to the fact that Ner'Zhul started to reject Ki'lJaiden after finding out he was a demon.

cdyhybrid

Hate to throw away the legendary quest progress on my Mage...but if they're going to force me to go Rune of Power and Prismatic Crystal do good damage, I might never log that character in again.

Two of the clunkiest abilities I've ever used.

Sigh. More raid team turmoil. And there aren't any other teams in the guild that need a DK that would work for me.

Not sure yet but it might just be the tipping point for me to unsub awhile. I know BRF is just around the corner, but I don't think I have it in me to do a guild search right now.

Got some RL things I could be worrying about that are more important too.
Something must be in the water. Missed out on my guild's raid last night and came back today to discover our raid leader is gone and our nights are switching again. After a little poking around, there's more to the story and at this point I'm glad I'm just an extra body on the nights I can play versus being part of the main raiding group.

Renekton

He's some kind of body snatcher anyways, so he will never stay dead.

I liked attunements because it's a journey, and made you invested in your character.

Sadly it's not financially viable to gate the casuals anymore though (I'm a filthy casual myself now).

Preach gaming posted a video about why this is happening. It made a lot of sense. The very bad players can't beat silver proving grounds.

It's not the first time this has happened, either. Cata normals were much much harder than heroics because of the extremely low skill of the playerbase and the generally damaging (but largely avoidable) damage both trash and bosses could put out. People have generally learned to do nothing but mash AOE buttons all day and nothing else and nothing will dissuade them other than spending time in a pit where the rest of the population at their level makes their own lives miserable and they git gud or give up and quit.

I predict Blizzard will see the impact this wall will have on their subs in the next quarter and will do something drastic like nerf the shit out of every dungeon, give proving grounds a daily quest that awards a loot bag or apexis crystals and if all else fails make BRF LFR the new catchup mechanic and drop the ilvl ceiling in Proving Grounds to make the rest of WoW's playerbase feel like a French noble in 1789.

Something must be in the water. Missed out on my guild's raid last night and came back today to discover our raid leader is gone and our nights are switching again. After a little poking around, there's more to the story and at this point I'm glad I'm just an extra body on the nights I can play versus being part of the main raiding group.

Thinking of going back to my other MMO love, EVE Online. It's been awhile.

Finally downed Mythic Twin Ogron tonight. Had one brutal wipe with 176k left but killed them a few pulls later. Put a half hour into Mythic Brackenspore but didn't get anywhere. Happy to be done with the place next week.

cdyhybrid

Going to get to 100 by the time BRF is out. Dunno if I'll be geared enough unless I get lucky with drops, though. More than halfway through 95 right now as I'm about to log off.

M.D

casually joined a hc group without a lot of expectations and it turned it to be a really nice one which is really strange lol

we one shot everything (started at tectus and i was locked to kar and butcher hc anyway) and are now up imp

some people left for imp because they don't want to deal with potential wipes but we're doing it anyway.. hope we can make it, but i have my doubts ;p

hc ain't that bad!

Robin64

Slightly bigger.

AWugQiW.gif

Rapstah

Hey, what's with this trend of all the gold spammers being level 90? Are they all paying for a level 90 character boost or am I missing some part of whay they do that makes that make sense?

StMeph

I predict Blizzard will see the impact this wall will have on their subs in the next quarter and will do something drastic like nerf the shit out of every dungeon, give proving grounds a daily quest that awards a loot bag or apexis crystals and if all else fails make BRF LFR the new catchup mechanic and drop the ilvl ceiling in Proving Grounds to make the rest of WoW's playerbase feel like a French noble in 1789.

The idea of adding a daily quest for Proving Grounds is an interesting way of compelling people to re-try it after failing, but I don't think anything needs to be done if LFR is the end-game for this population anyway. What would Foundry LFR act as the catch-up for?

I'm probably being over-general here, but I would expect that most people who have completed at least Normal Highmaul are done with Heroic dungeons. Nothing else is really gated away. PUG raids for Normal or higher are based largely by ilevel, and Heroic dungeons won't yield anything better than LFR. Heroics are obsolete for everyone already.

If anything, that's probably why LFR has been further nerfed. It's basically for people who can't complete PG Silver.

Renekton

What do casuals actually do anyways?

For example my friend only collects mounts, achievements and sometimes visits old instances.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What do casuals actually do anyways?

For example my friend only collects mounts, achievements and sometimes visits old instances.

That's pretty much what I do... do LFR, do heroics(not much point after you've got epics in almost all your slots and done all the Inn quests that gives cool stuff though), do old raids and dungeons for mounts and achievements, do Apexis dailies, farm WoD reps, trap elites for Savage Bloods, do Garrison Missions...

All of this is enough to keep me busy on two lvl 100s. Although I only farm rep and do Apexis dailies on my mage. Once I'm done with the 125 Highmaul stones, I'll probably stop doing LFR until Blackrock Foundry is released. Might lvl a Horde alt and see that side of Draenor.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Does Alliance get the Durotan/Thrall/Garrosh storylines?

Those are really nice for me.

Durotan and Thrall? Not really. For Alliance, we fight through Garrosh base in Nagrand with Yrel(our new Draenei paladin hero) and near the end Thrall decide to come out of the bush he was hiding into to fight Garrosh for the final cutscene. And Durotan... again, comes out of nowhere for Talador's fight against Blackhand, again for the cutscene.
You quest through all of Talador without seeing him and Durotan suddenly show up next to our Draenei heros and Khadgar for the final battle quest.

There's little exposure for them for the Alliance.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Ner'zhul was actually never a fan of the Burning Legion. Gul'Dan's rise to power in the original timeline was actually due to the fact that Ner'Zhul started to reject Ki'lJaiden after finding out he was a demon.
And he was made the Lich King for his troubles.

Hate to throw away the legendary quest progress on my Mage...but if they're going to force me to go Rune of Power and Prismatic Crystal do good damage, I might never log that character in again.

Two of the clunkiest abilities I've ever used.
I don't mind Rune of Power (I could deal with a bigger buff radius, but I like the solid buff better than Incanter's Flow) but Prismatic Crystal is a piece of shit.

Does Alliance get the Durotan/Thrall/Garrosh storylines?

Those are really nice for me.
No, you get to watch purple hammer Jesus be cool rather than watch green hammer Jesus be cool, until the very end, where green hammer Jesus just enters stage right to play ride the lightning with the Illustrated Orc while you just kinda watch and say, "wow, that would have been really cool if I got to do that instead of you, green hammer Jesus".

Top Bottom