• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

M.D

I'm having a blast with my demo warlock so far

fun abilities that work well with one another, but the class also requires some level of complexity to manage demonic fury and the alternated abilities

I'm honestly excited leveling up after reading some of the abilities that you get
really good raid utility as well

also, it makes a fine job making you feel like a warlock.
having a druid as my main and playing as balance for the majority of the time, I always felt lame and not really a druid, although I'm not sure what a druid should feel like ;p

just wish I wasn't playing on a pvp server with horde constantly killing me while leveling

Robin64

just wish I wasn't playing on a pvp server with horde constantly killing me while leveling

My PvP character just hit 45 and it's been a bit of a slog because of clearly bored level 100 characters. Actual levelling PvP with people of a similar level has been a blast, though, so it makes up for the level 100 wankery.

Renekton

having a druid as my main and playing as balance for the majority of the time, I always felt lame and not really a druid, although I'm not sure what a druid should feel like ;p
Probably the best druid hybrid feel is late Vanilla and early TBC, when you can hybridize somewhat effectively for non-raid situations.

Nerf Druids 4 <-- looks lame by today's standards but was druid dream when it first came out.

StMeph

(unless you're unholy in which case lololgofuckyourself).

I really don't understand how the UH T17 set bonuses made it past the PTR. HOW?!

The expected 37% buff to Necrotic Plague might make up for the difference with 2H Frost, but having a bad set bonus is not fun. :<

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really don't understand how the UH T17 set bonuses made it past the PTR. HOW?!
You don't understand? Because I thought 6.0 was incredibly eye opening about how many issues Blizz was ignorant of. Remember all the wild swing ability stat buffs/nerfs hotfixes?

WHOOPS I meant crutch, not crotch, in that last post~

I still use recount. As long as I'm on top of the list, I'm fine. I know my guildies are pretty good, so it's not like everyone elses dps is bad. Simulations are nice, but I don't really listen to them. Just like I don't read how to play a character, I just learn and ace it.

StMeph

You don't understand? Because I thought 6.0 was incredibly eye opening about how many issues Blizz was ignorant of. Remember all the wild swing ability stat buffs/nerfs hotfixes?

It was mostly rhetorical. I've played Blizzard games long enough to know there's always FOTM classes, builds, and races. Brood War was a happy accident, and probably the only exception that proves the rule.

But what I really don't understand is how feedback/math from the playerbase on Beta/PTR builds is discarded. I know that they do it, I just don't understand how it's ignored so easily, or so randomly. Some things are super serious, and others are not. The current racial PvP imbalance is infinitely more lulzy than the Unholy T17 bonus, because I can easily respec to 2H Frost. Faction changing is way more impactful, even ignoring the cost involved.

Mupod

I'm having a blast with my demo warlock so far

fun abilities that work well with one another, but the class also requires some level of complexity to manage demonic fury and the alternated abilities

I'm honestly excited leveling up after reading some of the abilities that you get
really good raid utility as well

I played balance/resto for a lot of vanilla (when I wasn't pretending to be a tank) and I always liked that playstyle. Mobility, DOTs, heals and big slow powerful starfires, very fun in PVP which is what I mostly did back then.

The modern day moonkin was really weird at first but I enjoy it a lot now and play it as my main spec. Can't heal for shit but displacer beast is the best talent ever and the dps 'rotation' is fun. No interest in PVPing on it though.

Probably the best druid hybrid feel is late Vanilla and early TBC, when you can hybridize somewhat effectively for non-raid situations.

Nerf Druids 4 <-- looks lame by today's standards but was druid dream when it first came out.

Those first few weeks of BC were absolutely nuts. Nobody seemed to realize how broken bears were until I was doing 40% of my group's total damage in Karazhan while tanking. I had full PVP gear almost the instant I hit 70 and could win 3v1s no problem.

After things got toned down a bit I still liked the niche druids had as the 'perfect offtank'. Your bear gear (aside from trinkets/jewelry) was the same as your cat gear, so you could do pretty good damage once your add was dead. Extra battle rez too.

Dysun

Final night of Mythic Highmaul for a bit today. I'm excited to do something else for awhile, hopefully Tectus goes down and we finish 5/7M

ampere

Final night of Mythic Highmaul for a bit today. I'm excited to do something else for awhile, hopefully Tectus goes down and we finish 5/7M

Good luck! That fight goes from miserable failure wipes after 30s to kill in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Our officers opted to have us not start Mar'gok last week since we won't kill him in 1 night and probably won't come back until a while into BRF. I'm sure a lot of Mythic BRF bosses will be easier, not Blackhand but some of the earlier ones.

That's the main problem with 2 night raiding, you get stretched really thin when there are 17 bosses out.

Dysun

I think we're closing in on 60 wipes of Mythic Tectus. We've just started to kill the two shards of Tectus during their phase 2 upheaval. Hopefully with a good turnout we can finish it

Mupod

Mythic Tectus seemed really annoying. We wiped a lot, but they were very quick wipes - maybe we're just too range-heavy. We ended up trying Brackenspore instead and made solid progress, we were getting him around 50-60 before we called it a night. Haven't done any progression stuff since Thursday and tonight's an off night too - giving people a break before Foundry I guess.

Mythic Tectus is like a 3-4 minute fight though. So you can wipe and recover and get back fairly quickly. Not something like Imperator or Heroic/Mythic Garrosh (pre-6.0) that are agonizingly long, close to 10 minutes.

Robin64

Okay the necks are dropping at 635 from the Love is in the Air boss. Might have been hotfixed at the start of the event as they were definitely 600 on Wowhead yesterday.

635 is still pretty bad though.

Why am I get the dampening effect in arenas as soon as the match starts? Isn't it supposed to be after 5 minutes? And of course it's only a healing debuff so sucks to if you're a healer

It's like I'm being punished for winning too many games

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The length of Garrosh was the worst because of the whispers in the phases. 'You're too tired to go on'

Yes I am, Old God. I am tired of how long this fight takes and how easy it is to fuck up.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The length of Garrosh was the worst because of the whispers in the phases. 'You're too tired to go on'

Yes I am, Old God. I am tired of how long this fight takes and how easy it is to fuck up.

It's still one of the best expac-end bossfights, IMO. Second to Lich King, but definitely better than Deathwing. And mechanically it's definitely more advanced than either of the BC big boss fights (Illidan/KJ)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's still one of the best expac-end bossfights, IMO. Second to Lich King, but definitely better than Deathwing. And mechanically it's definitely more advanced than either of the BC big boss fights (Illidan/KJ)

The mythic version was definitely a high ranker on my 'most butthole clenching wow moments' list.

ZenaxPure

Well if we're just talking big boss fights H Rags still rests at the top of my personal wtf list. 4 phase fight with 2 intermissions and in all 6 of those stages had things that could easily fuck you over. My favorite was World in Flames, it had nothing to do with the other mechanics in the fight, it was just an extra fuck you, it was like an intermission all on its on: Hey, take a break from this fight to avoid this 9 second long one shot mechanic and then you can get back to the fight kthx.

I mean don't get me wrong, I loved H Rags (probably my favorite fight in Cata) but it haunted me at the time. Especially in a 10 man guild where we only had 2 ranged DPS most of the time.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Tailoring is gonna be pretty consistent, but the startup cost is a bit higher than most professions. Bags will retain value long beyond gear though.
Bags are one of those things people don't think about until they do things like start an alt or start doing a lot of raids, and at that point people are willing to pay whatever to get the pain to go away.

Milennia

ahhhhh new content time, where i get to play a spec i hate for half of the instances bosses -.-

i pray the gear level i hit come M blackhand will be high enough to sustain a slightly suboptimal spec swap
a decent length fight like that would require more crit as opposed to mastery from me, which will be a fucking feat in this instance judging from how my coining is going to look until that point

Milennia

Ah, assuming the spec you hate is Fire? :p

I'm going Arcane/Fire, so I'll have to deal with the same thing...but I hate Arcane instead of Fire.

no other way around, arcane is complete balls imo.

was my best spec for such a long time, then mop hit and scorch weaving on heroic sha of fear soured me.

if i could play fire for the rest of my wow career i would, hands down.

Milennia

Ah, I see.

PC and ROP are shit.

i can live with pc, ROP is used on like 2 fights in next instance (possibly even just 1) so I'm ok with that as well, its just when everything comes together shit sucks to play.

my most hated talent is nether tempest by far and it always has been for various reasons, ROP was my most hated for the second part of mop, i didn't have an issue with it in t14 because i felt the movement on the fights justified it well.

my arcane ui has been shit since t14 and it hasn't improved at all tbh, so I'm dealing with that.

im excited for foundry, mounds more than i was for highmaul at least however.

just annoying having to swallow that pill of playing a spec i don't like for the next 2 weeks, if i have enough crit as opposed to mastery by blackhand, i will just swap to fire for it all things considered.

BY FAR the biggest thing going into it is my need for 4 pce, its near mandatory, so i need to worry about that constantly, so thats about 7 coins on my first run through, then 3 left for the next.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If you guys hate Arcane so much, why not trying Frost instead? Of is it just not viable enough for hardcore raiding?

Milennia

If you guys hate Arcane so much, why not trying Frost instead? Of is it just not viable enough for hardcore raiding?

Frost hasn't been as strong as arcane on any encounter since the buff weeks ago, the tier bonuses only make it worse.
(Fights where it's not blatently obvious you would play fire on)

Fire tops frost on ST as well with tier

ampere

Going to PUG the first heroic boss 15 times on Tuesday :p. Or this week, at least.

I get what you are going for here, but BRF follower missions come out with 6.1 so there's no immediate rush to get 15 heroic boss kills.

Also, who knows, that number could be higher for BRF since it's 10 bosses instead of 7.

Bosses*2 + 1 = 21 possibly? Total speculation on my part.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
YO MAN FUCK YO NUMBERS. YOU CAN SIMULATE MY FINGER./jk

I don't really listen to simulations. I got to my DPS by myself, and well, usually topping the charts has worked out for me. I still use the basic UI and I've never had an issue topping out the charts. I don't listen to the simucrap, it's too much of a crotch.

We had a guy in our guild for a while that didnt use addons, not even DBM. He said "add ons are a crutch"

We still make fun of that guy, we kicked his ass out and he was one of the worst DKs we ever had

"Addons are a crutch" is one of my guilds quotables. We have lots like that.

We had a guy in our guild for a while that didnt use addons, not even DBM. He said "add ons are a crutch"

We still make fun of that guy, we kicked his ass out and he was one of the worst DKs we ever had

"Addons are a crutch" is one of my guilds quotables. We have lots like that.

Good thing no one has ever complained about my dps. If anything, I always get pugs who are the same class asking me how I do it ;p

ch0mp

Why am I get the dampening effect in arenas as soon as the match starts? Isn't it supposed to be after 5 minutes? And of course it's only a healing debuff so sucks to if you're a healer

It's like I'm being punished for winning too many games
Playing healer-dps in 2s? It's so you don't have to wait 15 minutes before anything happens.

My guild is dead, has been dead since before this expansion. It's literally just on life support now. I got to 655 in pugs. Horrible pugs. And it's not even like 655 is especially good. My followers are 655.

I hope that's gonna be good enough to do the first couple of bosses in heroic BRF. :/

davepoobond

Good thing no one has ever complained about my dps. If anything, I always get pugs who are the same class asking me how I do it ;p

Well it depends on what your aspirations are. My guild has always done 25 man heroics/now 20 man mythic.

If all you want to do is normal raids or LFR, you're fine, but if you want to test yourself and see how well you can actually do... You NEED to read up, research, improve, simulate etc. and using addons is a basic tool to succeed in that environment.

When I was in my first shitty guild that i was an officer of, I was #1 dps most of the time, depending on the fight. But I was playing with people who didnt enchant or gem their gear 100% while I was. There are different levels of play, and if you are satisfied where you are, no one should take that from you.

But there is more to the game than pugging with randoms.

TheYanger

Right, it's perfectly fine to play at whatever level you want. It's mostly annoying to see people espouse ignorance as a virtue, which is what you're doing when you say " You don't need that shit" or "It's a crutch"

No, it's a tool, and you are 100% guaranteed nowhere near as good as you could be if you properly used the tools that exist out there. If you don't want to that's cool, telling other people they're bad or wrong for doing it, or telling other people that are TRYING to improve not to, is pure folly.

davepoobond

Choking on all the elitist fumes here.

jk

Mods are helpful, useful, and most serious guilds require you to have them installed afaik.

That being said, you don't *need* them to play the game. My partner has default UI and no mods except Skada. He's also a number crunching purist that researches and runs sims... loves theorycrafting. I'm opposite-- I couldn't play the game without at least Bartender. As shadow priest, I don't think I'd survive without nameplate mods, too... how will I keep track of all my dots? That's insane. PvE would be much harder without DBM as well, especially if you heal.

Different strokes for different folks. At the end of the day, enjoying what you do should come first, right? After all, it's just a video game-- for most of us, it's NOT our livelihood. What constitutes as "more to the game" should really be an individual decision.

Yeah and I agree with all of what you said. I hope I'm not coming off as elitist, cause that wasn't the intent. There is being elitist and there is being stubborn. In the end it is about what is fun for you, but after a certain amount of hours wasted in pugs and a crap guild, I just wanted to play with people on the same level as myself. I've hit that plateau, personally and at this point I'm not even regularly raiding anymore since I've gotten past that point in the game. I'm only a backup, but it was a lot of fun being a core raider for 3 years or so at a high level of play.

I'm sure they'll hotfix this soon... you get better blues from normal 5 mans.

I could swear this was also a problem with drops from the last Direbrew/Horseman drop tables and they never fixed those, either. I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: Looking ahead to the existing stats for 2015's Direbrew/Horseman events if they fix Love is in the Air they should remember to fix those, too.
But they wont lolololol

Kraftwerk

dat earthquake;

FoolishDelayedAttwatersprairiechicken.gif

Well it depends on what your aspirations are. My guild has always done 25 man heroics/now 20 man mythic.

If all you want to do is normal raids or LFR, you're fine, but if you want to test yourself and see how well you can actually do... You NEED to read up, research, improve, simulate etc. and using addons is a basic tool to succeed in that environment.

When I was in my first shitty guild that i was an officer of, I was #1 dps most of the time, depending on the fight. But I was playing with people who didnt enchant or gem their gear 100% while I was. There are different levels of play, and if you are satisfied where you are, no one should take that from you.

But there is more to the game than pugging with randoms.

Actually, my guild was pushing mythic Highmaul(The only reason we didn't progress after Ogrons was because raiding during the holidays was a bit iffy as a group). I despise pugging, I've had too much of it back in the day. And the funny thing is, I only run 2 addons-DBM and recount. I push myself by striving to be the first in my guild. I dislike researching or using other rotations-I find figuring out what to use and when, to be the challenge. That is how I push myself, by perfecting my own technique. Ever since I've been playing(Since Cata!) I've only ever used DBM and recount. During that era, on my old server, I was one of the top 20 mages(The others were in the hardcore guilds) DPS wise. (Ok maybe that's hyperbolic, but goddamit when I'm cocky I do good).

I leveled my mage with Frost circa Cata. I had to switch to Arcane in order to do competitive DPS. When Dragon Soul came out, Fire was on top and I learned that too. To me, the best way to succeed is to learn blindly with little to no help, and if you're able to master that spec and come out on top of the charts, than to me...that's all I need ;)

Edit-Not to say addons and tools don't have their use. To me though, I view them as a crutch-If I were to use them, then to me that would be giving up my challenge of playing competitively. That's simply me. Sorry if I uh, if you thought I was insulting anyone else. It did come off a bit dickish. But when it comes to competitive DPS, I get cocky as fuck.

Just wanted to pop in and relate my current EVE experience to the WoW crowd in here (love you guys). Before I mostly did solo stuff or Incursions which are sort of equivalent to highly organized PUG raids (albeit with much less variety and completely mapped out - like doing SoO, but with the same content for 2-3+ years...yeah)

Anyway, previously I was only in my own corporation (guild) for safety/tax purposes after a brief stint in a GAF corp that fizzled out (sound familiar?). Joined a Wormhole corp today (live in "unknown" space + all that's associated with that - a bit difficult to explain briefly if you're not familiar). It's a huge jump. Basically like going only roaming around on a PvE server to the bloodthirstiest PvP Timeless Isle.

And this comic is so true (well, it's an understatement for high-end raiding guilds in the first panel, but still):

To join any corp of merit you have to submit an API Key which lets them see your mail, wallet transactions, assets, etc. in order to guard against spies which can be a real threat. Like an armory/logs check on steroids.

So yeah. Definitely different.

cdyhybrid

Just wanted to pop in and relate my current EVE experience to the WoW crowd in here (love you guys). Before I mostly did solo stuff or Incursions which are sort of equivalent to highly organized PUG raids (albeit with much less variety and completely mapped out - like doing SoO, but with the same content for 2-3+ years...yeah)

Anyway, previously I was only in my own corporation (guild) for safety/tax purposes after a brief stint in a GAF corp that fizzled out (sound familiar?). Joined a Wormhole corp today (live in "unknown" space + all that's associated with that - a bit difficult to explain briefly if you're not familiar). It's a huge jump. Basically like going only roaming around on a PvE server to the bloodthirstiest PvP Timeless Isle.

And this comic is so true (well, it's an understatement for high-end raiding guilds in the first panel, but still):

To join any corp of merit you have to submit an API Key which lets them see your mail, wallet transactions, assets, etc. in order to guard against spies which can be a real threat. Like an armory/logs check on steroids.

So yeah. Definitely different.

Image doesn't work :(

Top Bottom