• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Renekton

Just wanted to pop in and relate my current EVE experience to the WoW crowd in here (love you guys). Before I mostly did solo stuff or Incursions which are sort of equivalent to highly organized PUG raids (albeit with much less variety and completely mapped out - like doing SoO, but with the same content for 2-3+ years...yeah)

Anyway, previously I was only in my own corporation (guild) for safety/tax purposes after a brief stint in a GAF corp that fizzled out (sound familiar?). Joined a Wormhole corp today (live in "unknown" space + all that's associated with that - a bit difficult to explain briefly if you're not familiar). It's a huge jump. Basically like going only roaming around on a PvE server to the bloodthirstiest PvP Timeless Isle.

And this comic is so true (well, it's an understatement for high-end raiding guilds in the first panel, but still):

To join any corp of merit you have to submit an API Key which lets them see your mail, wallet transactions, assets, etc. in order to guard against spies which can be a real threat. Like an armory/logs check on steroids.

So yeah. Definitely different.
WoW is definitely far more solo-friendly than EVE. Lots of people can get AotC while guildless, and you're generally self-sufficient with garrisons.

EVE was pretty brutal (which I guess was CCP's intention at the time) - from newbie missions which sent my caldari ass into low sector to get podded, to joining corporations which taxed the sht out of my meager mission earnings. I have friends who tell me I have not experienced the "True EVE Online" (stuff you see on youtube) so with their help I got into their war (faction warfare? not sure) with my laughably pathetic ship, got instantly booted from server.

Now that I have a level three salvage yard (I was busy building other things and finally got around to it), I'm getting all these greens that I have no idea if anyone is even interested in them for transmog. What's the best way to see the value of the item for before I go ahead and DE it?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Now that I have a level three salvage yard (I was busy building other things and finally got around to it), I'm getting all these greens that I have no idea if anyone is even interested in them for transmog. What's the best way to see the value of the item for before I go ahead and DE it?

See if it looks good.

If it does, post it on AH or try to sell it in trade. If no one bites, vendor it.

See if it looks good.

If it does, post it on AH or try to sell it in trade. If no one bites, vendor it.

To this I'll add my anecdotal experience:

- You are better off vendoring 90% of the weapons you get from crates. It will almost never be a unique/attractive enough model to fetch a good price.
- Nobody wants capes, bracers or boots unless they're part of an extremely fashionable set or match a highly saturated color scheme.
- Double check every low level piece of gear. Some stuff (like the Scarlet mail set) no longer comes from any other source in the game and still sells for thousands of gold.
- wowhead has an extraordinary amount of detail for the 'transmog set' that any given piece of armor is likely to match.
- Most of the time nobody buys the aformentioned 'transmog sets' from Mists of Pandaria or Wrath unless they are epic weapons. The notable exception are the Zul'Aman armor recolors for plate and mail wearers.
- Not every good looking piece of gear matches a full transmog set. So even if it's rare and very pretty, it won't sell for much, if at all.
- I've found gear that looks sexier on female toons is in higher demand (duh).

I've probably banked around 20k gold since I started auctioning off transmog gear from my salvage yard. It's good for pocket money but it becomes exhausting if you have more than one level 3 salvage yard across alts.

dat earthquake;

FoolishDelayedAttwatersprairiechicken.gif

Looks annoying. I wouldn't want to guess where the edge of the AOE is in battlegrounds and in PvE as with green warlock fire I fear I'd struggle to distinguish it from a lethal boss effect on the ground.

Thanks for the tips! Will keep it in mind. :D
To this I'll add my anecdotal experience:

- You are better off vendoring 90% of the weapons you get from crates. It will almost never be a unique/attractive enough model to fetch a good price.
- Nobody wants capes, bracers or boots unless they're part of an extremely fashionable set or match a highly saturated color scheme.
- Double check every low level piece of gear. Some stuff (like the Scarlet mail set) no longer comes from any other source in the game and still sells for thousands of gold.
- wowhead has an extraordinary amount of detail for the 'transmog set' that any given piece of armor is likely to match.
- Most of the time nobody buys the aformentioned 'transmog sets' from Mists of Pandaria or Wrath unless they are epic weapons. The notable exception are the Zul'Aman armor recolors for plate and mail wearers.
- Not every good looking piece of gear matches a full transmog set. So even if it's rare and very pretty, it won't sell for much, if at all.
- I've found gear that looks sexier on female toons is in higher demand (duh).

I've probably banked around 20k gold since I started auctioning off transmog gear from my salvage yard. It's good for pocket money but it becomes exhausting if you have more than one level 3 salvage yard across alts.

davepoobond

wait, what? is Scarlet mail set really not dropping anymore?

I'm glad i completed my set during Cata, then. That's what I transmog to, except for the helmet i use one of the red jungle hats from leatherworking. I also have the matching pieces from BC from the Blood Knight set.

.......you're kidding me right? Dammit! Why didn't I have an addon that tells me stuff about money.

item restore?

wait, what? is Scarlet mail set really not dropping anymore?

I'm glad i completed my set during Cata, then. That's what I transmog to, except for the helmet i use one of the red jungle hats from leatherworking. I also have the matching pieces from BC from the Blood Knight set.

item restore?

Meh, it's going for 700 on my server. I could buy 1000 of them if I wanted to.

Mordeccai

Oh man, people werent kidding about normal dungeons being a mess.

I'm gearing up a priest alt and randomed UBRS. Tank immediately starts dungeon off by pulling three rooms with the glyphs in them, and gets rekt. I'm pulling 20k hps on meters in 607 gear. He immediately says WTF heals. I ask him to please pull one pack at a time. He replies 'they arent cigarettes you moron they are mobs so call them mobs."

We hit the first boss, nobody is opening up the electrified cages. So I drop angelic feathers and do it myself.

Hit second boss, nobody interrupts fixate, I do that as well.

At this point, the shammy and tank who qued together begin to shit on the rogue in the group. He's doing 4k dps, which sucks, but they weren't being constructive and we really didnt need him to dps more as stuff was dying anyway. I tell them it's not the best time for him to learn his rotation, tell the rogue to visit icy veins, and ask to continue on.

The shaman does not give up. Through out the entire third bossfight he is typing in all caps for the rogue to do more dps. I tell him to STFU that dps doesnt matter in normals and let's just get through this.

Then he starts going on about how he has three level 100s and he never sucked this bad at dps and calling me a shit healer. I let him die three times on the way to ragewing by not healing him at all.

Shammy stops dpsing during ragewing because I'm not healing him and just heals himself. Wishes us good luck with enrage timer (lol). I just spam smite and penance and boss goes down no problem.

I type "problem shammy?" and dude FLIPS out. He and the tank accuse me of being a chinese gold farmer despite the fact that I've typed perfect english. Says he will rape my wife and kick my dog.

Then the group boots me. LOL. I have never laughed so hard about being kicked in my life.

Robin64

Also, lol at monitoring DPS in a fucking normal dungeon. I was only doing 10k when I hit the 615 needed for Heroics, and even they went fine. Being angry at someone who maybe just dinged 100 for doing 4k is stupid.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
this got me. holy shit.

There's so many great moments in that story, I love it. I want to level an alt just to experience the insanity.

Also, lol at monitoring DPS in a fucking normal dungeon. I was only doing 10k when I hit the 615 needed for Heroics, and even they went fine. Being angry at someone who maybe just dinged 100 for doing 4k is stupid.

Isn't between 4 and 6k like the expected dps for a normal? I can't imagine it taking more than that.

Zelias

Banned
I've not had any experiences quite like that, but in my experience heroic dungeon runs have gone much better for me than normals. Guess the Proving Grounds requirement really works.

Mordeccai

As interesting as the experience was, I just crafted two 640 pieces with some left over mats on my tailor and JC just so I don't have to screw around in normal, even if I only need two or three runs more to bump up to heroic. It is a purgatory I would really rather not be stuck in.

A few other choice quotes from the tank/shammy: "He should have learned his rotation 99 levels ago" to which I just replied LOL. "heals stop pulling ffs I cant take aggro from you" (I pulled one pack of trash before second boss) I told him to thunder clap moar. shammy "I never once have pulled under 8k dps even on my fresh 100s"

I think you can always jump in normals too, no matter what your gear is? Might be fun to pop in on a main, half ass your dps, and see where the road takes you. I ran four total today and only had the one bad experience so YMMV.

davepoobond

As interesting as the experience was, I just crafted two 640 pieces with some left over mats on my tailor and JC just so I don't have to screw around in normal, even if I only need two or three runs more to bump up to heroic. It is a purgatory I would really rather not be stuck in.

A few other choice quotes from the tank/shammy: "He should have learned his rotation 99 levels ago" to which I just replied LOL. "heals stop pulling ffs I cant take aggro from you" (I pulled one pack of trash before second boss) I told him to thunder clap moar. shammy "I never once have pulled under 8k dps even on my fresh 100s"

I think you can always jump in normals too, no matter what your gear is? Might be fun to pop in on a main, half ass your dps, and see where the road takes you. I ran four total today and only had the one bad experience so YMMV.

jesus. you should have saved the whole chat log lol. those are some grade A quotes. i love those guys.

So which itemlevel is recommended for the new raid? Thinking about doing it with some friends on normal with group finder, we're all about 645.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Man, that whole thing sounds choice. You should have saved the logs or something. I need me some of that stupidity.

So which itemlevel is recommended for the new raid? Thinking about doing it with some friends on normal with group finder, we're all about 645.

It shouldn't take more than that, but I guarantee you people will be asking for 670 and up just for normal.

M.D

HC BLACKROK FOUNDRY - NEED 1 DPS 100K+ OR KICK ALSO NEED TO BE A SUBSCRIBER SINCE DAY 1 AND AT LEAST 200 MOUNTS. IM CHECKHING ARMORY!!!!

Robin64

How to figure out what ilvl people will ask for for raid pugs: Look at what ilvl drops in that raid. There's your answer.

Lanrutcon

HC BLACKROK FOUNDRY - NEED 1 DPS 100K+ OR KICK ALSO NEED TO BE A SUBSCRIBER SINCE DAY 1 AND AT LEAST 200 MOUNTS. IM CHECKHING ARMORY!!!!

Flip side of the coin: if you're not packing 655+ at this point then you're not really trying.

Chromax

You forgot the ilevel requirement! Which better be 100 higher than the raid you're applying to. While we're at it also post the ilevel of your character for 5 other MMO!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't even watched any BRF videos yet beyond a few streams because I didn't expect me to be back to raiding already.

So today I get to binge that and binge reading warrior strats/specs for each fight.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Nah, to keep things simple they will probably just be asking for AOTC: Blackhand an hour after the raid opens :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
oh man... the Cata portals in org aren't automatically opened up for boosted characters????

Man... that sure makes the Crown Chemical daily a damn pain...... damn....

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
oh man... the Cata portals in org aren't automatically opened up for boosted characters????

Man... that sure makes the Crown Chemical daily a damn pain...... damn....

Is that still in Uldum?

I guess you could take a portal to Dalaran(either from a mage or from your Shrine in Pandaria) then use the Tanaris/Caverns of Time portal from the tower.

660 PvP staff get!

CR is up to 1500 now in 2s with a fury warrior

Starting to really gear up to the point where people don't even try to kill my priest now. Health is 400k+ :lol

StMeph

Immediately upon hitting 100 on my warlock alt, I was ilevel 615 with one crafted 640 item. The rest was quest gear from Nagrand and low level 610 garrison follower stuff. Then with banked 615/630/645 tokens from other garrison follower missions I was able to immediately hit 626. Never stepped foot into normal dungeons.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Can't you just use the DF..?

not the SFK daily. The "blow up the cart and 5 workers" daily. It's still in Uldum for level 85+ characters.

kind of bummed. I wish I would have read up on the holiday before hand. I would have rushed my 87 to 100 to get 3 shots a day at heart shaped box. Ironically that character has TWO roses from... umm.. guessing the 2011 event.

Is that still in Uldum?

I guess you could take a portal to Dalaran(either from a mage or from your Shrine in Pandaria) then use the Tanaris/Caverns of Time portal from the tower.

ok, didn't know about Tanaris portal. "better". Yeah I am already using guild cloaks to org, HS to Shrine, garrison HS, and scrolls of recall (to shrine) on my scribes to do this stuff.. Not complaining.. oh except that that 87 is my mage who would make this whole thing SO MUCH easier.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just do the Uldum intro quest chain on all your alts. Takes like 6 minutes. I've done it for all of mine so I can run Four Winds weekly.

Milennia

My second mage is like 3 ilvl off my other mage at 683 and 686.. I like how long hightail has been out, like a sweet spot really

My whole raid is either highmaul bis or ridiculously close, alts also out gear foundry crap

They did good with this delay as opposed to the last one for me

I mean, the last delay didn't really affect me either TOO much, but was cutting it close to complete shit, the t14 one.. But I know it affected most

XceptioN

Neo Member
So I just resubbed last week. If you're still reading this after that sentence then thank you. I stopped playing after doing some of the initial raids in Cata. I am really only trying to dip my toe in to see all of the changes made over the last 3-4 years. So I am not getting WoD expansion unless I really get hooked. However I would very much like to experience as much of the content that I missed for example I haven't leveled up an alliance character through cata content yet.

While leveling new characters is pretty straight forward, my biggest issue is with my 85 shadow priest (My only max lvl character at the time). I don't even know where to start. I realize that I can just hop right into MoP content, but I find myself staring at the new talent set up and the the huge changes that have been made to this class and I have no clue what I am doing. I have watched a few new spriest rotation guides but so many moves do different things, I feel like the second I step on Pandaria to take down some mobs I am really going to struggle. Talents almost seem cosmetic in some way to how you play your class and some spells have been completely revamped. Also shadow orbs?

That being said, does anyone have an good techniques or tips or videos for getting accustomed to high level characters after such a long length of time? I was thinking of just leveling a new spriest to like 30 just so I get the core feel down. But I feel like that is a bit of a time sink.

Also, I have no clue how garrisons work. I know I don't have access to them without WoD but they have really peaked my interest. Does anyone have a good video guide link? Everyone keeps talking about their followers leveling up and I am just so confused.

Thanks

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I just resubbed last week. If you're still reading this after that sentence then thank you. I stopped playing after doing some of the initial raids in Cata. I am really only trying to dip my toe in to see all of the changes made over the last 3-4 years. So I am not getting WoD expansion unless I really get hooked. However I would very much like to experience as much of the content that I missed for example I haven't leveled up an alliance character through cata content yet.

While leveling new characters is pretty straight forward, my biggest issue is with my 85 shadow priest (My only max lvl character at the time). I don't even know where to start. I realize that I can just hop right into MoP content, but I find myself staring at the new talent set up and the the huge changes that have been made to this class and I have no clue what I am doing. I have watched a few new spriest rotation guides but so many moves do different things, I feel like the second I step on Pandaria to take down some mobs I am really going to struggle. Talents almost seem cosmetic in some way to how you play your class and some spells have been completely revamped. Also shadow orbs?

That being said, does anyone have an good techniques or tips or videos for getting accustomed to high level characters after such a long length of time? I was thinking of just leveling a new spriest to like 30 just so I get the core feel down. But I feel like that is a bit of a time sink.

Also, I have no clue how garrisons work. I know I don't have access to them without WoD but they have really peaked my interest. Does anyone have a good video guide link? Everyone keeps talking about their followers leveling up and I am just so confused.

Thanks

At the very least, the "core abilities" tab of your spellbook tells you what you should be casting with a very general priority list. It should be enough to get you started. Talents overall don't have a huge impact on your overall gameplay, especially while leveling so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That being said, this might be helpful to you:
http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/priest-leveling-guide

As for garrisons, it's honestly best just to organically go through the experience as you level from 90-100, rather than spending too much time reading about it or watching videos. The game does a pretty good job of explaining it to you at a slow pace as features unlock.

Milennia

Thanks

For shadow, I find the spec easier than it was in cataclysm, so there's that (in terms of understanding, things are a little rough in terms of high level play at the moment)

Orbs are your resource, mind blast and shadow word death generate orbs, devouring plague spends the orbs

Leveling is pretty easy this time around, you can get away with just mind blasting/spiking/DP the mobs, power word shield yourself etc

For high level play drye has a good guide over at howtopriest shadow priest raid discussion forum

Since your not max level yet and are just curious about what to do until your max level, I would hold off from the guide until level 100 unless your curious as to how the whole grand scheme works

For leveling mind spike is now affected by your damage increase mastery, so spamming it on mobs drops them fairly quick single target, just mind blast on cd, death if the mob is under 20% and DP at 3 orbs

Top Bottom