• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

TheYanger

I like both the 600 and the 13. The 600 I like because the build quality is more solid than a naga, but I also don't use all the side keys. So I can't answer that. It is easy to tell where my thumb is though, they're angled slightly differently (the first 2 rows and last 2 rows are all set so that the 'inner' part of those rows are lower, so it's likd two ridges of keys) and there's a bump on the center 2 keys.

The 13 I just always use when I play, almost every game. I only take my hands off of it to type in wow.

Is the mouse comfortable to hold with all the these side keys? is it easy to get to used to where every key is?
It's very comfortable but it will take sometime to get used to it. After maybe a week's worth of use you'll pretty much remember where everything is. The way it's angled helps out a ton to remember the keys.

iirate

I've tried the G13, but my hands are definitely too small for it. My thumb couldn't come close to sitting comfortably on the stick if I wanted the rest of my hand to actually be able to hit keys. It's a shame too, as I was really excited about it after everything I had heard.

TheYanger

I've tried the G13, but my hands are definitely too small for it. My thumb couldn't come close to sitting comfortably on the stick if I wanted the rest of my hand to actually be able to hit keys. It's a shame too, as I was really excited about it after everything I had heard.

How long did you try? It has a learning curve no matter what, it's easy to visualize how you want to use it, but it's STRANGE to use an analog stick with no resistance from your hand like on a controller, so I found my thumb getting worn the fuck out the first few days. Now I just gently rest my hand where it needs to be.

Also, the default thumbstick sucks dick and is basically a flight sim style hat switch. I replaced it with a logitech analog stick the first day nad that made it more comfortable (wider/fatter like a playstation analog).

Unrelated news, our first split got down Blackhand tonight, another oen tomorrow and done for the week :) Not bad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Had a fun trip down memory lane thanks to a GM. Even had the Totem of Wrath buff until it fell off.
CW6rpKA.jpg
I'm ready for Sarth 3D, captain.

iirate

How long did you try? It has a learning curve no matter what, it's easy to visualize how you want to use it, but it's STRANGE to use an analog stick with no resistance from your hand like on a controller, so I found my thumb getting worn the fuck out the first few days. Now I just gently rest my hand where it needs to be.

Also, the default thumbstick sucks dick and is basically a flight sim style hat switch. I replaced it with a logitech analog stick the first day nad that made it more comfortable (wider/fatter like a playstation analog).

Unrelated news, our first split got down Blackhand tonight, another oen tomorrow and done for the week :) Not bad.

I didn't try it for long, but it didn't take long to realize my hands were simply too small to ever use it comfortably. Seems like a nice product for someone else though.

M.D

Holllly shit do I suck!

My main and the character I played till 90 something (maybe even 100, I don't even remember) was a boomkin, and I just recently switched to feral and really enjoyed it
I always thought melee dps was way harder in terms of dealing with boss mechanics but realized its ranged that need to deal with all the crap thrown at the raid after raiding as feral

Now I am switching back to boomkin and it's the weirdest feeling ever

I sucked big time on twins which I have done a lot of times a feral and never found difficult, and even tho I knew what range had to deal with on this fight (which is not much), I made so many mistakes and could barely preform my rotation

Yes, it becomes second nature. I don't use that exact mouse (though I have a similar one) and honestly I could never go back to a basic mouse. Especially as someone who spent most of his life as a console gamer - having a bunch of mouse buttons emulates a controller without giving up all the benefits of having a mouse. 90% of my primarily used abilities are bound to my mouse buttons, I mostly use keyboard buttons for situational abilities.

I am actually looking to buy a new one at some point though, I have fairly small hands and my current mouse is not great for that, there are a couple of buttons I can't reach without moving my entire hand.

Microsoft used to make better mice than anybody else in the business.

Then they gave up, who the hell knows why. I only bought a Rival because it was the closest in fit and comfort to the intellimouse explorer.

It's very comfortable but it will take sometime to get used to it. After maybe a week's worth of use you'll pretty much remember where everything is. The way it's angled helps out a ton to remember the keys.

Alright guys, thanks for all the advice.

I'm gonna look to get a keyboard at this point, probably the Blackwidow, and maybe a mouse after but not sure about that just yet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone got a Horde 100 on a low-medium pop server? Trying to fill out my BNET with some servers I can use for farming dino bones and whatnot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any word if 6.1 is going to nerf exp requirements to 100? I kind of hoped it would since heirlooms are supposed to work all the way to 100.
The thought of going back in time on alt Draenor amuses me, yo dawg we heard you like time travel so what if we time traveled while we were time traveling.

If we were to time travel again, I'd prefer WC2 era Azeroth, honestly.

CassSept

What, does Wrathion take Grommash back in time to before the Sundering and then we get to fight seven Night Elf warlords?

But hey, this time is different because final boss of the expansion won't be an orc corrupted by demons, but a night elf corrupted by demons. The ideas, they just keep on coming!

Time travel is the resort of writers out of ideas.

I thought so to before I played Warlords. But then I played it and Blizzard did a really good job making not only a great expansion, but telling stories that are interesting. Much more interesting than those of Cataclysm and Pandaria.

ZenaxPure

I thought so to before I played Warlords. But then I played it and Blizzard did a really good job making not only a great expansion, but telling stories that are interesting.

There is a story in Warlords? Where at because I would like to find it.

Seriously, story wise Warlords has been a huge disappointment. I don't attribute it to them being out of ideas though, it should be obvious to anyone that the reason Warlords exists is because they wanted an excuse to show off a bunch of dead characters. Problem is after the excuse (Kairoz sending Garrosh back) they didn't bother actually adding an interesting story.

Tacitus_

Seriously, story wise Warlords has been a huge disappointment. I don't attribute it to them being out of ideas though, it should be obvious to anyone that the reason Warlords exists is because they wanted an excuse to show off a bunch of dead characters. Problem is after the excuse (Kairoz sending Garrosh back) they didn't bother actually adding an interesting story.

What I want to know is how we can merrily skip in between the timelines to get reinforcements from our timeline with just a puny mage portal.

ZenaxPure

What I want to know is how we can merrily skip in between the timelines to get reinforcements from our timeline with just a puny mage portal.

Based on random NPC text it would seem like it takes a very skilled mage to open a portal that can do that. There is also text implying that they can't make the portals very large (there are random alliance NPCs talking about how they wish they could get an airship into Draenor).... But yes, a more concrete explanation would be nice. I don't expect we shall get one though.

StMeph

They can't, because time travel makes it either too complicated or nonsensical.

Garrosh didn't just travel back in time, he also went to an alternate universe. This is significant so that anything we do in Alt-Draenor is self-contained. It also helps in that there can be minute differences in details without retconning things unintentionally, and also means that NOTHING MATTERS. It's an alternate timeline in an alternate universe.

Warlords of Draenor is basically one big Caverns of Time scenario extended in size and scope. It's fan service.

ampere

Time travel is the resort of writers out of ideas.

Disagree, OoT and Chrono Trigger were masterful time travel games, and the story in the latter was fantastic.

I am getting sick of the Draenor time travel a bit though. No compelling villains for me yet except maybe Gul'dan.

Warlords of Draenor is basically one big Caverns of Time scenario extended in size and scope. It's fan service.

Yup, exactly. It's "we have all these awesome Orc characters that happened before WoW... how can we use them in WoW?"

Except the really awesome one, Ner'zhul, dies in a 5 man dungeon. And the really boring one, Grommash, is the main villain. wtf

At least Gul'dan is cool

ZenaxPure

Preaching to the choir, I was being sarcastic. I am well aware why Warlords is what it is. I've talked about the same things in my past posts on that topic (like for example I see the destruction of the Dark Portal 10 minutes after we step into Draenor being entirely so they don't have to deal with alternate timeline stuff leaking into the main timeline). You can see it in the questing as well, look at Velen sacrificing himself in SMV, the only reason that exists is because despite blizzard not using him for anything Velen is a ridiculously powerful character. Having 2 Velens alive and doing stuff is not a great idea, hence he's gone.

StMeph

Disagree, OoT and Chrono Trigger were masterful time travel games, and the story in the latter was fantastic.

I am getting sick of the Draenor time travel a bit though. No compelling villains for me yet except maybe Gul'dan.

Those games were written with time travel in mind. It's central to the plot.

Without having sat in any Blizz HQ meetings or shot up Chris Metzen with sodium pentathol, I still feel pretty confident in saying World of WarCraft was not plotted with Warlords of Draenor in mind.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
True Fax: WoW hasn't had compelling villains since WOTLK. And I LOVE Cho'gall, Gul'Dan and Garrosh but Cho'gall in Cata was poorly handled, it's too early to say with Gul'Dan and Garrosh should have never been turned into a villain.

Deathwing always sucked as a lore character. So boring. At least C'thun and Yogg were kind of mysterious. Deathwing was 'he's so crazy because of the old gods!' like we haven't done that song and dance before. I also like how Garrosh seems mostly normal after the Heart died. Like, you'd think over a year of an Old God in your head would be more mentally scarring.

ZenaxPure

Deathwing always sucked as a lore character. So boring. At least C'thun and Yogg were kind of mysterious. Deathwing was 'he's so crazy because of the old gods!' like we haven't done that song and dance before. I also like how Garrosh seems mostly normal after the Heart died. Like, you'd think over a year of an Old God in your head would be more mentally scarring.

I didn't really mind Deathwing that much, he was the original "driven insane" character and I am alright with one of those, not that I really want to see another story like that though.

Can't say I agree with no compelling bad guys though, the Klaxxi were incredible and the Mogu are probably my favorite version of the "curse of flesh" storyline. Lei Shen was a cool dude who actually got shit done. I mean that guy was never even beaten before we got to him, his empire literally ended because he died of old age. Who else was that successful in Azeroth.

DW on point. Specific to WOD, I'm struggling to find a reason to dislike Grommash. He shows up in Taanan as a menace but you literally dismantle his main vector of invasion the second you portal in. After that it is less a story of your garrison vs Grommash as it is you vs random minor nuisances who may or may not be taking orders. The shadow council sure as hell not in it to serve the Iron Horde and Grommash is literally MIA until the very end of the current Garrison campaign, where he just kinda shows up to growl at you again before taking his ball and returning to the jungle. As weak as deathwing and the Sha were in cata and mists they were given PRESENCE and you felt their influence wherever you went. At this rate it feels like I have no compelling reason to kill Grommash, so sither Blizzard is about to pull a massive bait and switch (lol it was Gul'dan all along) or this expansion's major conflict is going to feel like less of a war and more like a class action lawsuit.

ZenaxPure

Can't wait to see alternate dimension Illidan make his return.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at some point. I mean remember all the talk a few years ago of how bringing back Illidan would be cool? My original response to the comment was a resounding UGHHHH (because I really don't care about zombie Illidan, I'd rather new characters have the spotlight), but, WoD is the perfect place for that to happen. Especially since this expansion is just fan service anyway, I'd rather see them embrace it and go crazy than what they are doing right now.

I swear I can't go one single run without losing my Darkmoon Faire XP buff on my Shaman. Need better groups in queue please. It's almost like a curse.

ampere

CoT is amazing, but the Hellscreams are terrible terrible antagonists.

I want more CoT related to Medivh, Garona and Gul'dan. Medivh is such an awesome character

But they need to retcon Me'dan out of existence. Not a good character, too 'super amazing awesome the best ever at everything'

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
But they need to retcon Me'dan out of existence. Not a good character, too 'super amazing awesome the best ever at everything'

Blizzard is aware of how poorly he has been received, which is why he is pretty much never even acknowledged in the game itself.

StMeph

CoT is the best series of dungeons. :<. I loved seeing all the old lore.

Honestly, it'd be nice to see a little bit more content exploring WC3 lore, imo, especially on the Alliance side.

CoT is easily the least impactful series of dungeons, as outside of creating an underused antagonist in the Infinite Dragonflight (also resolved out-of-game), none advanced or revealed much lore.

WC3 itself has also been fully mined out already, with all of its major antagonists dead. TBC let players kill Illidan, Kael, and Vashj, even repelling Kil'Jaeden and restoring the Sunwell; WotLK ended the Lich King/Ner'zhul/Arthas arc and resolved any lingering weirdness from Varimathras loitering in Undercity.

ZenaxPure

What, you didn't like the first Shampriestmagealadin added to the lore?

I think the only acceptable way to add Med'an to the game is if the opening quest chain with him involves him either losing his ridiculous power set or him being immediately murdered. It's almost a shame he will never be added because I always wanted to know what a part human/orc/draenei would look like with an in-game model.

On the topic of CoT though, I've always loved the Infinite Dragonflight, they were a really cool way to incorporate time travel into the game. It actually bums me out they used WoD as a way to do more time travel instead of just having an Infinite expansion. I would kill for an expansion that was just random zones from Warcraft lore strung together in a fake continent (connected by the timeways clearly) where the Infinite Dragonflight was trying to do Infinite Dragonflight stuff.

ampere

On the topic of CoT though, I've always loved the Infinite Dragonflight, they were a really cool way to incorporate time travel into the game. It actually bums me out they used WoD as a way to do more time travel instead of just having an Infinite expansion. I would kill for an expansion that was just random zones from Warcraft lore strung together in a fake continent (connected by the timeways clearly) where the Infinite Dragonflight was trying to do Infinite Dragonflight stuff.

That could be really cool, only problem would be making it feel whole.

Maybe even throw in some messed up gravity areas where things aren't behaving as physics would dictate. I love the floating platforms in Outland Nagrand

ZenaxPure

I love the floating platforms in Outland Nagrand

Me too :D

The first thing I ever did when I got a flying mount in BC was fly over to Nagrand and hang out on one of those floating platforms, it was pretty awesome.

As for where the Infinite Dragonflight came from, everywhere and everywhen really. They were just bronze dragons that didn't like what they saw in the future and wanted to attempt and change it. To be honest that is kind of the major flaw/beautiful thing about them. Yeah we killed Murozond but they are time traveling dragons, there are countless other Murozonds out there. Makes it hard to try to use them in any major storyline but to be honest that is kinda what I've always liked about them.

idlewild_

I guess no 6.1 this week either? Man, not even a content patch, don't know why its taking so long.

They are still adding and tweaking some of the stuff on the PTR. The heirloom UI and some DMF stuff just got added recently. There are also quite a few class changes in the patch, they may be leaving a lockout or two of BRF mythic before the patch so that it doesn't impact the progression race for those super hardcore guilds.

I guess no 6.1 this week either? Man, not even a content patch, don't know why its taking so long.

I think it's very positive that they are staggering raid instance and patch launch, and I hope that happens in the future. Gives some hope of server stability on Tuesday...

Mythic unlocks this week, so expect we'll see 6.1 in another week or two.

JSoup

Banned
Based on random NPC text it would seem like it takes a very skilled mage to open a portal that can do that.

It's a bit of a mind fuck that some of the stronger mobs can't be solo'd (or at least not easily) by my mage when I can teleport to Org and back whenever I want. I mean, this isn't just popping over to the corner store and back. Every time I mage port to Ashran, I'm basically time traveling across an alternate universe.

ZenaxPure

It's a bit of a mind fuck that some of the stronger mobs can't be solo'd (or at least not easily) by my mage when I can teleport to Org and back whenever I want. I mean, this isn't just popping over to the corner store and back. Every time I mage port to Ashran, I'm basically time traveling across an alternate universe.

Yeah it's really weird. The obvious answer is that they just hand wave it away as a necessary game mechanic similar to dying and running back to our body as a ghost. Just one of the things you have to look past.

JSoup

Banned
Yeah it's really weird. The obvious answer is that they just hand wave it away as a necessary game mechanic similar to dying and running back to our body as a ghost. Just one of the things you have to look past.

I...seem to recall something in lore trying to explain away the whole deal/spirit world thing. Or it at least stated that there is dead and then there is DEAD, one is reversible, the other less so.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I...seem to recall something in lore trying to explain away the whole deal/spirit world thing. Or it at least stated that there is dead and then there is DEAD, one is reversible, the other less so.

I think it's pretty much the hero altar mechanic from Warcraft 3

ampere

Killed Blackhand tonight... on Normal. Bleh was not expecting to have so much trouble with a Normal mode boss given that we have ~680 ilevel. Wasn't too bad once we had a good strat for P2/P3, but what an unforgiving boss with odd mechanics. I feel like it's a bit overtuned, idk.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/08/fall1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol, a new dead.gif

[quote="Data West, post: 151348532"]Got my lock to 100 today. Last day to do raids for this weekly lockout so I figure 'what the heck'

then that happened.[/QUOTE]

Grats

Top Bottom