• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

I got my Prot Paladin up to 510 to do the new UBRS. Wiped a few times. First time was for pulling two mobs in that one room of trash mobs. 2nd was on that boss that you have to interrupt. I thought I did a lousy job and I apologized, but the healer and another DPS said UBRS was kind of broken and that I did an above average job. Tanking stresses me out because I want to do a perfect job and not have anyone die or wipe.

vocab

I got my Prot Paladin up to 510 to do the new UBRS. Wiped a few times. First time was for pulling two mobs in that one room of trash mobs. 2nd was on that boss that you have to interrupt. I thought I did a lousy job and I apologized, but the healer and another DPS said UBRS was kind of broken and that I did an above average job. Tanking stresses me out because I want to do a perfect job and not have anyone die or wipe.

Broken? Lol. Those guys are in for a bad time come wod.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hey Dresden
oo0qX21.png

Trickster

Broken? Lol. Those guys are in for a bad time come wod.

I look forward to the whine about heroics. Was so funny to read in Cataclysm. Hopefully blizzard won't nerf dungeons into the ground this time around however.

That second boss fucks half the pubs I join on my healer. I end up being the only one interrupting the gaze.

I say this as a tank myself. Tell your tanks to step up their game and interupt the damn boss, it's very easy.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
How much gold are you guys taking into the expansion and are any of you doing any last minute farming?

I've got around 60k but I feel like I'm gonna burn through that. Am I crazy?

Also first post, hi :)

Meia

3 more days to get my priest to lv 90 on Area 52. Think I'm better off saving the character boost I'll get to boost an alt on the realm for mining/herbalism(leveling the priest with mining/herb now to get enough mats to max alch/engineering before the expansion hits).

Daniel R

Is it possible to create alts on a server that is merged with your main server even if you have 11 characters on the main server?

Karl Hawk

Banned
I'm glad that I can level up nice and slowly again at Draenor. I felt kinda overwhelmed when I boosted my main to 90 a month ago and I missed out leveling in BC, WoLTK, Cata and MoP.

Then again, it would probably become a drag for me if I went the hard way (I did enjoy leveling, mind you.)

Trickster

How much gold are you guys taking into the expansion and are any of you doing any last minute farming?

I've got around 60k but I feel like I'm gonna burn through that. Am I crazy?

Also first post, hi :)

No plans to farm any gold or mats before expansion goes live. I'm probably just gonna read neogaf and spend some time leveling and alt for a bit

Hixx

I made about 30k on my Death Knight last week, just to start off in WoD and then I'd sell my first few 100 craftables to make the rest of the expansion easy when it comes to gold.

Then I decided last night I wanted to level my Paladin first. Who is on a different server. And faction. He has 3.3k gold. And Halo is coming today, so I'll be going into WoD skint.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have some interest in WoW but having never played it I'm rather intimidated and confused. I have questions.

1) Is there sensible solo progression with the story?
Explanation: I played Guild Wars 2 and I just started hitting these very strange grinds of repeating the same quests over and over to level into a safe range for the next zone. The whole time there was no story arc, just a general vibe about the condition of the area I was in. I had to do this because the story leveling went WAY FAST and kept outpacing my character.

2) Is the crafting accessible, to be worthwhile as you level?
Explanation: I've played maybe 6 different MMOs and in all of them the crafting seemed focused on level capped characters, and a terribly confusing and worthless waste of time until you're maxed out. This is very disappointing to me. There should be end-game crafting, of course, but one should be able to have fun customizing their character as they go instead of just being stuck with whatever mismash of strongest shit that dropped around them was.

3) How do the expansions work?
Explanation: It is my understanding that each pack has a new level cap. That gives me a very strange impression on say, if I started with WoD and then decided I wanted to go back to an old one. Would all the levels be super low for me? And do different packs limit what races you're allowed to use?

4) Do patches affect all expansions at once?
Explanation: I hear people saying how questing/leveling in MoP was super slow but in WoD it's a lot better paced. Well is that sort of adjustment something that goes back on the others retroactively, or are the older expansions not necessarily past their issues when better things come along?

5) Can you reasonably develop solo as a healer or is it a pain in the ass apart form a group because they are weaklings?
Explanation: It's a really common problem in RPGs, and I would rather approach a group already being worth a shit.

I won't even ask about the story because I'm sure it's a clusterfuck.

UnrealEck

To Dice:

1) In WoW you'll do a progressive series of quests per zone. Each zone sort of has a story to it and by the time you're done with the main story of the zone you'll be seemlessly moving into the next zone. Among those quests are other quests that don't necessarily have a big story but are little stories maybe tied to an NPC.
You won't really have to grind or repeat quests in WoW. It's a very progressive quest system.

2) Crafting isn't that useful at low levels because gear gets upgraded so fast.

3) If you buy WoW right now, you get all expansions apart from Warlords of Draenor. You also get 30 days of playtime (subscription time).
You will be able to play any class and any race apart from Deathknight because you need at least one level 55 (I think) character for that.
Expansions really just added new continents, zones, quests, professions and so on. You won't notice you're playing an expansion pack. The entire thing is seemless. The only thing you won't have access to is Draenor and gaining XP over level 90. Until you buy WoD of course.

4) Patches do affect all expansions. Like I said above, the entire game is one. It's all functional as one game. Everyone playing WoW is playing the same game. But if someone doesn't own WoD yet, they just can't access Draenor or level past 90. There's probably some other minor additions too but nothing big.
Levelling is even faster for lower levels I believe.

5) I've never really played a healer but they can solo because they do have offensive spells, though they're not ideal at all for levelling with. You do however get the option to buy a second talent spec with gold. That way you can switch between DPS and healing so you can do dungeons as a healer and solo as a DPS.
Oh I should mention that there's now proving grounds in the game that let you practice your talent spec. So if you're a healer you can practice in there and it goes through stages so you get better and better as you learn.

If you want to know about the story, check out wowpedia.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I have some interest in WoW but having never played it I'm rather intimidated and confused. I have questions.

1. The story will be hard to follow unless you went out of your way to begin at level one and do content exactly as it was released (which is also somewhat impossible due to the old world no longer existing) but because of the experience squish you will inevitably outlevel certain areas too quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if someone came to play this game with the goal of catching up with the story, they'd really have to go out of their way. It helps to know warcraft lore, especially old draenor lore from the first two games.

2. Crafting hasn't been worthwhile in a long time in this game, but when it was it was for unique bonuses and gear to fill certain slots. It's somewhat more worthless in wod as they took a lot of the uniqueness away. Crafting sucks in any mmo because it's grinding and the payoff in the end is never worth it.

3. Do you play mmos? This is tough to explain. However, think of this week's expansion as the only expansion as the other expansions are rolled into the core game. Basically, get to level 90 however you want to (even boost) and then 90-100 is the expansion. You don't "go back" to old ones, they're all seamless in the world. However, once you level past a previous expansion's cap, the enemies from the previous expansion (including final raid bosses) simply become easier to do.

4. When people say stuff like that they mean the entirety of an expansion. Once a new expansion rolls out the previous is rolled into the core game. So, now for WoD, the leveling from 90-100 is balanced to be a lot of content. At the end of WoD 1.5 years from now, they'll make the grind from 90-100 shorter to prepare for the next expansion. They always want to make it easier for someone to reach max level where the real content is.

5. There are multiple specs. When you're leveling just push a button and go dps spec, and then when you're in a group situation push a button and go back to healer. Any class can solo.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, so the old expansions are inside WoD? I was under the impression that if you wanted those locations/story arcs you'd have to buy them separate.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait, so the old expansions are inside WoD? I was under the impression that if you wanted those locations/story arcs you'd have to buy them separate.

When a new expansion comes out the rest just become blended together to form the core game. They're not going to make you pay for 5 expansions. You can buy wow right now and play up to where everyone is right now. On Thursday, you'll need WoD to see that content, but you can still exist in the same world as everyone else.. just pretend there's an island over there you can't get on the ship for until you get the xpac. Xpacs are like new islands (literally), but everyone still does stuff on the old islands.

mclem

1) Is there sensible solo progression with the story?
Explanation: I played Guild Wars 2 and I just started hitting these very strange grinds of repeating the same quests over and over to level into a safe range for the next zone. The whole time there was no story arc, just a general vibe about the condition of the area I was in. I had to do this because the story leveling went WAY FAST and kept outpacing my character.

You'll find that the quests are a little samey in terms of what you have to do, but in storyline terms, each zone has a reasonably well-designed continual plotline that leads to a climax when you're done with the zone. I'm not sure how levelling speed actually is for a new player who isn't drowned in heirlooms (items that you can hand from your high-level character to your low-level character to increase experience gains - unavailable for your first runthrough), I know some players tend to level faster than the zone pacing dictates but that might be down to heirlooms. Either way, if there's any mismatch in pacing, it's the story being *slower* than the rate you level.

3) How do the expansions work?
Explanation: It is my understanding that each pack has a new level cap. That gives me a very strange impression on say, if I started with WoD and then decided I wanted to go back to an old one. Would all the levels be super low for me? And do different packs limit what races you're allowed to use?

You're can only go through the expansions strictly linearly, but they're all bundled together these days with only the newest expansion being a separate purchase; you'd just want to purchase the Battlechest (which is everything except Warlords), and that'll give you a consistent 1-90 experience. Then, when you're ready for 90-100, you can pick up Warlords. Purchasing Warlords alone is *not* sufficient; you need to go through the content in order.

(Strictly speaking, Warlords does grant you a free boost of a single character to level 90, so you *could* buy the Battlechest and Warlords and then jump straight to 90 and the Warlords content. I don't think that's a good idea for your first character, though. Either way, you can't do it without the Battlechest)

4) Do patches affect all expansions at once?
Explanation: I hear people saying how questing/leveling in MoP was super slow but in WoD it's a lot better paced. Well is that sort of adjustment something that goes back on the others retroactively, or are the older expansions not necessarily past their issues when better things come along?

Expansions aren't independent games, they are bolted on to the existing game, and in real terms all they dictate is how much of the game you can access. Hence, a patch affects the entire game.

5) Can you reasonably develop solo as a healer or is it a pain in the ass apart form a group because they are weaklings?
Explanation: It's a really common problem in RPGs, and I would rather approach a group already being worth a shit.

Healers *can* deal adequate damage these days and can indeed level solo, although it's still beneficial to group up. Alternatively, every class has three specs (Except those crazy druids, with four), and every healing class has alternative damage-dealing specs if you'd prefer to swap to an out-and-out damage dealer rather than levelling directly as a healer.

Shahadan

I look forward to the whine about heroics. Was so funny to read in Cataclysm. Hopefully blizzard won't nerf dungeons into the ground this time around however.

Are they supposed to be hard again?
Looking forward to not find a group able to clear one up then!

I think I quit Cataclysm a week in because I was doing my job but the other people apparently couldn't.
That said BliZZ should learn that they shouldn't just make something hard when the last 10 hours have been piss easy. It doesn't work that way.

I'm an expert

Heroics were not hard in cata.. maybe for complete and utter nub pugs. We steamrolled everything at launch.

Tamanon

Banned
Are they supposed to be hard again?
Looking forward to not find a group able to clear one up then!

I think I quit Cataclysm a week in because I was doing my job but the other people apparently couldn't.
That said BliZZ should learn that they shouldn't just make something hard when the last 10 hours have been piss easy. It doesn't work that way.

They are reasonably hard again. Require actual interrupts and occasional crowd control. Also the bosses have multiple mechanic.

UnrealEck

Everyone plays the same game.
All expansions up to WoD are included in the base game now too so you buy the game, you get The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria.
All WoD does is unlock levelling past 90 and to 100, gives you access to any new dungeons and raid and access to Draenor (the new planet).

Also Warlords of Draenor comes with a level 90 boost so you can, if you want, buy WoW and WoD, make a level 1 character, login, logout and boost it to 90 and join everyone in the beginning of the new expansion.
That's what I'd probably reccomend you do but it's up to you. If you're dead-set on levelling, you don't need WoD until you hit 90.
But WoW is a progressive game. I'd say you really want to join in to the new stuff. You can always go visit Pandaria, Outland and Northrend later or level and alt.

You should really check out their main website which gives you everything you want to know about:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/

Wunder

Blade's Edge Mountains is a little annoying, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I actually did 80% of it while levelling an alt, b ut then Wowhead comments said I needed to be 70 to finish it? Do I have to do the Ogri'la dailies or some shit?

edit: I mean the intro quests to the dailies

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah I actually did 80% of it while levelling an alt, b ut then Wowhead comments said I needed to be 70 to finish it? Do I have to do the Ogri'la dailies or some shit?

edit: I mean the intro quests to the dailies

No, there's some stuff that comes from quest item drops. I don't think the Ogri'la stuff was required. Should be able to load your profile on Wowhead I think and see what quests you're missing.

Wunder

No, there's some stuff that comes from quest item drops. I don't think the Ogri'la stuff was required. Should be able to load your profile on Wowhead I think and see what quests you're missing.

Yeah I tried but it seemed buggy and spat out a bunch of weird information, including quests I *thought* I'd completed. I'll give it another go though, thanks!

mclem

Guild leadership dilemma time!

Early in Cataclysm, there was a bit of a schism in the guild. A bunch of people broke away and formed another guild. This hurt us significantly at the time - forced us back into 10s when we were doing okay in 25s. It caused some bad blood, and there's a few people who've opined that they never want any of those people back.

Fast forward to now, and yep, one wants back in.

Reasons to take them back:

+ It's been three or four years. I find it hard to resent someone for more than a few days at most.
+ They are a very good player.
+ They gave us first refusal on taking them back, when there's better guilds who'd grab them straight away.
+ We've taken back other people who've left; this just happened to be the biggest, most notable split.

Reasons not to:

- Fear of it happening again (The person in question appeared to be a ringleader at the time, but denies it now; it's possible we got the wrong impression in the confusion)
- My lack of resentment is partially due to the fact that in such situations, I tend to blame myself rather than the disruptive parties. That might be affecting my opinion on the matter.
- Some people *do* carry grudges. And what I'm not clear on if it's a grudge to the extent of leaving the guild over it.

I think the right thing to do is let bygones be bygones and give them a fair chance, but on the other hand, doing the right thing could feasibly hurt us more.

Wunder

Guild leadership dilemma time!

Early in Cataclysm, there was a bit of a schism in the guild. A bunch of people broke away and formed another guild. This hurt us significantly at the time - forced us back into 10s when we were doing okay in 25s. It caused some bad blood, and there's a few people who've opined that they never want any of those people back.

Fast forward to now, and yep, one wants back in.

Reasons to take them back:

+ It's been three or four years. I find it hard to resent someone for more than a few days at most.
+ They are a very good player.
+ They gave us first refusal on taking them back, when there's better guilds who'd grab them straight away.
+ We've taken back other people who've left; this just happened to be the biggest, most notable split.

Reasons not to:

- Fear of it happening again (The person in question appeared to be a ringleader at the time, but denies it now; it's possible we got the wrong impression in the confusion)
- My lack of resentment is partially due to the fact that in such situations, I tend to blame myself rather than the disruptive parties. That might be affecting my opinion on the matter.
- Some people *do* carry grudges. And what I'm not clear on if it's a grudge to the extent of leaving the guild over it.

I think the right thing to do is let bygones be bygones and give them a fair chance, but on the other hand, doing the right thing could feasibly hurt us more.

I think the last reason not to is important - I'm sure your guild has recovered since the split, why threaten it again with what could potentially be some hostile reactions. I feel like if your guild is doing well and morale is up and everyone's excited for WoD and to raid and level, why bring the mood down by bringing someone back?

ampere

So to get to the new content once the xpac hits...I just jump through ye old dark portal?

Pretty much. Go wait outside there and at midnight PST Khadgar will have a quest for you that sends you through

There are level 100 normal versions of all the dungeons now, so I don't think we'll see nerfs to the heroic versions. Even if they do, there's always CMs for people who want some more challenge.

And the CM daily gives a shot at raid finder loot (640) so it's a good way to get some pre-raid gear!

I don't know how you guys make money. I have various transmog greens that I post on the AH every week with TSM, somewhere around 100 pieces that sometimes sell, sometimes don't.

I have a hunter with maxxed out mining and Engineering. I can't seem to break the 10k bump, hes sitting at 5k gold right now.

Any suggestions?

Ugh, the dailies on the temple of the white tiger has been broken for at least 2 days now, i tried submitting a ticket but with the wait doesn't really help with a daily. What happened, I remember tickets took hours at most on WotLK days.

Top Bottom