• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Robin64

It's total shit, but fortunately they don't have to be successful missions. So you can fail 15 and say fuck the shipyard at least. Terrible, terrible "content".

But you will need a good fleet to pass the 4 or 5 Legendary missions that you do have to succeed on.

I now know the real reason they added flying the way they did. No one would do these godawful rep grinds in Tanaan otherwise. But now, look, it's successful content!

StMeph

How's Tanaan compare to Timeless Isle? The Garrison grind killed the game for me after I got all my toons to 100, but would consider coming back if Tanaan had some of the fun of early TI.

It doesn't.

All shas look the same to me

thatsracist.gif

I now know the real reason they added flying the way they did. No one would do these godawful rep grinds in Tanaan otherwise. But now, look, it's successful content!

I'm willing to bet 6.2 would have stayed on the PTR with more time for tweaks and improvements if not for XIV Heavensward forcing their hand.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so I just saw the cutscene on the front page of MMO-champ and that certainly looks like a "final patch"-ending... isn't WoW only at like 6.2 right now? What're the other major contents for WoD gonna be about?

Robin64

Okay so I just saw the cutscene on the front page of MMO-champ and that certainly looks like a "final patch"-ending... isn't WoW only at like 6.2 right now? What're the other major contents for WoD gonna be about?

What other major content for WoD? That's it, we're done here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What other major content for WoD? That's it, we're done here.

What the fuck? So what happened, lore-wise? Also, why is a "x.2" the final big content patch? It's never done that early, how come it is now?

StMeph

What the fuck? So what happened, lore-wise? Also, why is a "x.2" the final big content patch? It's never done that early, how come it is now?

1. Prime-Wrathion conspires with ALL THE TIMELINES-Kairozdormu to release Prime-Garrosh and send him to Alt-Draenor to prepare for a coming ???-Legion invasion.
  2. Prime-Garrosh murders ATT-Kairoz, establishes the Iron Horde with Alt-Grom by rejecting Alt-Gul'dan's gift of demon blood, and assaults Prime-Azeroth because reasons.
  3. Prime-Khadgar leads a team into Alt-Draenor to attack the Iron Horde because he has a little experience shutting down Dark Portals.
  4. Upon entering Alt-Draenor Tanaan you find Alt-Gul'dan and his liutenants being used to power the Iron Horde's portal... and then you free them.
  5. Prime-Khadgar spends his time trying to find Alt-Gul'dan because he's the Real Evil despite Prime-Garrosh still hanging around.
  6. You find and kill Prime-Garrosh in Nagrand and Thrall kill steals you at the end of a short quest chain. You get a blue helmet though.
  7. The Iron Horde is destroyed with Patch 6.0. Alt-Grom retreats to Tanaan.
  8. 6.1 happens and brings things that should have been in at launch. New Blood Elf models.
  9. Alt-Gul'dan approaches the broken Iron Horde again with his offer. Alt-Kilrogg takes it.
  10. 6.2: You need to build a naval yard and ships to assault their fortified position in Tanaan. Durotan/Yrel breaks in through the front gate anyway.
  11. Alt-Teron'gor is retconned into becoming Alt-Gorefiend by drinking too many souls.
  12. You defeat the new fel Horde and Alt-Archimonde takes his ball Gul'dan home.

That's what happened. Don't ask to make any sense of it.

Edit: it's the end because Blizzard has stated at every possible turn that this expansion is a two-raid expansion, for multiple reasons.

Yoshichan

Best summary ever, thank you... and holy shit, what a mess. Such an anti-climatic bullshit ending to something that showed so much premise.

Yoshichan

edit: wrong thread...

Jag

1. Prime-Wrathion conspires with ALL THE TIMELINES-Kairozdormu to release Prime-Garrosh and send him to Alt-Draenor to prepare for a coming ???-Legion invasion.
  2. Prime-Garrosh murders ATT-Kairoz, establishes the Iron Horde with Alt-Grom by rejecting Alt-Gul'dan's gift of demon blood, and assaults Prime-Azeroth because reasons.
  3. Prime-Khadgar leads a team into Alt-Draenor to attack the Iron Horde because he has a little experience shutting down Dark Portals.
  4. Upon entering Alt-Draenor Tanaan you find Alt-Gul'dan and his liutenants being used to power the Iron Horde's portal... and then you free them.
  5. Prime-Khadgar spends his time trying to find Alt-Gul'dan because he's the Real Evil despite Prime-Garrosh still hanging around.
  6. You find and kill Prime-Garrosh in Nagrand and Thrall kill steals you at the end of a short quest chain. You get a blue helmet though.
  8. 6.1 happens and brings things that should have been in at launch. New Blood Elf models.
  9. Alt-Gul'dan approaches the broken Iron Horde again with his offer. Alt-Kilrogg takes it.
  10. 6.2: You need to build a naval yard and ships to assault their fortified position in Tanaan. Durotan/Yrel breaks in through the front gate anyway.
  11. Alt-Teron'gor is retconned into becoming Alt-Gorefiend by drinking too many souls.
  12. You defeat the new fel Horde and Alt-Archimonde takes his ball Gul'dan home.

That's what happened. Don't ask to make any sense of it.

Edit: it's the end because Blizzard has stated at every possible turn that this expansion is a two-raid expansion, for multiple reasons.

Holy crap, I was prepared for a long search to sum up the recent content patches, post release, but this is pretty much perfect!

My guess is they are focused on ending WoD and speeding up the expansion cycle. They can't ignore the huge revenue bump they get from launching new expansions. And they clearly have thrown the "When It's Done(tm)" philosophy out the window.

Yoshichan

The worst part is, WoD was the most expensive expansion so far.

Yeah because of the advertising though, right? It was advertised so, so much.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
2z0VDbS.gif

There's a pretty big difference between "Blizzard has stated at every possible turn" and "guys on the internet assume". They did an interview like 3 weeks ago where they said they are working on more content (they certainly didn't promise a raid, I'll give you that) in WOD. However, they have never said "this expansion is a two-raid expansion" ever. No, really, they never said this even once despite people (such as this post) quoting them as saying this.

They're intentionally vague and always have been.

JSoup

Banned

13. Prime-Khadgar gazes into the demon portal Alt-Gul'dan was sucked into and wishes he had just asked him out sooner. States that he'll see him again, wiping a tear from his eye.

2z0VDbS.gif

There's a pretty big difference between "Blizzard has stated at every possible turn" and "guys on the internet assume". They did an interview like 3 weeks ago where they said they are working on more content (they certainly didn't promise a raid, I'll give you that) in WOD. However, they have never said "this expansion is a two-raid expansion" ever. No, really, they never said this even once despite people (such as this post) quoting them as saying this.

They're intentionally vague and always have been.

Way back in August last year when they did rounds of interviews they pitched the idea that there might be less raid tiers than normal if they could get the next expansion out faster. Then in February they got asked straight up and popped a level 1000 Evasion on the question. So yes, that does not meet your absolute and exact wording standards, but it's been pretty clear for a while that two raid tiers is what we're getting/what they've been planning, especially after knowing what the T18 raid is, and how BRF got delayed. Everyone/"some guys on the internet" assume it because you'd have to be blind and deaf to not connect the dots.

But ok. Yes. You can have your adamant victory that they might not have come out and directly stated it to us in a dev watercooler. /patpat

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Way back in August last year when they did rounds of interviews they pitched the idea that there might be less raid tiers than normal if they could get the next expansion out faster. Then in February they got asked straight up and popped a level 1000 Evasion on the question. So yes, that does not meet your absolute and exact wording standards, but it's been pretty clear for a while that two raid tiers is what we're getting/what they've been planning, especially after knowing what the T18 raid is, and how BRF got delayed. Everyone/"some guys on the internet" assume it because you'd have to be blind and deaf to not connect the dots.

But ok. Yes. You can have your adamant victory that they might not have come out and directly stated it to us in a dev watercooler. /patpat

"pitched the idea"
"expansion out faster"

lol

Angry Grimace

I don't know what you're loling about, Sax Russel is 100 percent correct.

Because that's a vague-as-all-fuck reason to treat that basically anything as "confirmed" even if it seems arguable or even probable. They pitch ideas all the time and have been talking about faster expansions for upwards of half a decade while never actually doing that.

I'm don't think we should treat Blizzard sort-of hinting at that as a confirmation given that having only 2 raid tiers creates a significant logistical issue, which is that they actually have to deliver expansion content faster. They can't just say they're going to, they actually have to deliver on a promise they've failed repeatedly. If they say they're doing it, its one thing. If they're vague about it, I think the correct assumption is that they don't actually know the answer, because this is how Blizzard has always worked.

Because that's a vague-as-all-fuck reason to treat that basically anything as "confirmed" even if it seems arguable or even probable. They pitch ideas all the time and have been talking about faster expansions for upwards of half a decade while never actually doing that.

I'm don't think we should treat Blizzard sort-of hinting at that as a confirmation given that having only 2 raid tiers creates a significant logistical issue, which is that they actually have to deliver expansion content faster. They can't just say they're going to, they actually have to deliver on a promise they've failed repeatedly. If they say they're doing it, its one thing. If they're vague about it, I think the correct assumption is that they don't actually know the answer, because this is how Blizzard has always worked.

But an offhand Gamescom interview comment about future plans isn't the only reason people are thinking two raid tiers. It's how the expansion has been/is playing out too. I can't arrange for Mike Morhaime to give you a personal call and confirm it, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see =P

I think the correct assumption is that they've failed spectacularly this time around and we have a just as long if not longer wait for the next expansion AND only two raid tiers. Maybe they'll get a Ruby Sanctum-like thing out, if we're lucky.

Angry Grimace

But an offhand Gamescom interview comment about future plans isn't the only reason people are thinking two raid tiers. It's how the expansion has been/is playing out too. I can't arrange for Mike Morhaime to give you a personal call and confirm it, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see =P

I think the correct assumption is that they've failed spectacularly this time around and we have a just as long if not longer wait for the next expansion AND only two raid tiers. Maybe they'll get a Ruby Sanctum-like thing out, if we're lucky.

My biggest issue is that I don't think its a tenable business decision for them to stick with 2 raid tiers and go into dev-hiberanation as usual. If they just went 3 and did it again, history has shown people would put up with it.

StMeph

It's not vague as fuck, though. It's how large organizations behave.

If you have a massive project, and you predict/expect less output, while also missing your deadlines, that's it. You get less, AND later. By planning for two raids and then moving on to a new expansion, they more or less set in stone two raids. Whether we wait 6 or 12 (or 18) months for another expansion now is entirely separate from the first thing.

I would wager that a Ruby Sanctum clone appears (with demons) if it gets close to or exceeds 12 months just as a stop-gap measure.

It's not vague as fuck, though. It's how large organizations behave.

If you have a massive project, and you predict/expect less output, while also missing your deadlines, that's it. You get less, AND later. By planning for two raids and then moving on to a new expansion, they more or less set in stone two raids. Whether we wait 6 or 12 (or 18) months for another expansion now is entirely separate from the first thing.

I would wager that a Ruby Sanctum clone appears (with demons) if it gets close to or exceeds 12 months just as a stop-gap measure.

I'll wager that they deliver nothing until the next expansion, apologize for the year of no-content, and promise to make better on it next expansion.

StMeph

I'll wager that they deliver nothing until the next expansion, apologize for the year of no-content, and promise to make better on it next expansion.

No bet.

Seriously, though. Think about WoD.

Nearly everything in 6.1 should have been in at 6.0. Foundry was delayed just to stretch it out a bit, and then had to get another +5 ilevels because people had so much time in Highmaul that +10 wasn't enough to be rewarding. Farahlon has been obliterated. Ashran was forced into becoming the main city hub instead of just a PvP island offshoot. Tanaan was put off to combine with 6.2.

Nothing Blizzard has done with WoD suggest there being a 3rd raid in the works or relatively close to on time for a raid schedule (in 3-6 months). If there's going to be one, it's going to be jury-rigged by recycling something and slapping it together with minimal dev time investment.

My biggest issue is that I don't think its a tenable business decision for them to stick with 2 raid tiers and go into dev-hiberanation as usual. If they just went 3 and did it again, history has shown people would put up with it.

I don't think it's what they wanted to do. I think they planned for two raid tiers and a faster expansion, whether or not they were upfront about it, but along the way (because of the increased dev team size? lots of new people?) they ran into development/pipeline problems and this is the result. So hopefully this all gets tightened up/sorted out and everything is delivered next time around.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's still impossible for me to imagine another raid tier in Draenor. The Iron Horde threatened an invasion and that was basically squashed. Gul'dan asserted control over the remnants of the Iron Horde and now we've ousted him from Draenor. That is it. There's no logical next step for Draenor because all player ties to the world/timeline have essentially been cut. It is literally impossible for any event to occur on Draenor that would warrant further player intervention. I'm mad as heck that another version of Gul'dan gets to exist outside of time and space. Like Jesus Christ how stupid. If we were to assume infinite timelines existed there would just be like a billion Gul'dans who find themselves in the same situation. Maybe fighting off an army of Gul'dans is the next expansion.

Angry Grimace

It's still impossible for me to imagine another raid tier in Draenor. The Iron Horde threatened an invasion and that was basically squashed. Gul'dan asserted control over the remnants of the Iron Horde and now we've ousted him from Draenor. That is it. There's no logical next step for Draenor because all player ties to the world/timeline have essentially been cut. It is literally impossible for any event to occur on Draenor that would warrant further player intervention. I'm mad as heck that another version of Gul'dan gets to exist outside of time and space. Like Jesus Christ how stupid. If we were to assume infinite timelines existed there would just be like a billion Gul'dans who find themselves in the same situation. Maybe fighting off an army of Gul'dans is the next expansion.

If this expansion follows the lead of the last two expansions, we're gonna have a raid where Gul'dan come back to assault Pandaria because for some fucking reason we keep randomly going back to the last expansion for a raid tier.

Robin64

If this expansion follows the lead of the last two expansions, we're gonna have a raid where Gul'dan come back to assault Pandaria because for some fucking reason we keep randomly going back to the last expansion for a raid tier.

Hahaha, that made me laugh far too much, because it's true.

StMeph

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Maybe they'll get a Ruby Sanctum-like thing out, if we're lucky.

It's still impossible for me to imagine another raid tier in Draenor. The Iron Horde threatened an invasion and that was basically squashed. Gul'dan asserted control over the remnants of the Iron Horde and now we've ousted him from Draenor. That is it.

What about a raid where you assault your own Garrison?

WAIT GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT.

A long time ago Blizzard said that Grom would be the final boss of the expansion.

Grom's not a boss in Hellfire Citadel. Now they're obviously not going to build yet another orc raid for this, and trolls don't even make sense here, thank god, so it's going to be a Ruby Sanctum style raid on Grom.

...maybe in your own Garrison.

Top Bottom