• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ZenaxPure

How's Tanaan compare to Timeless Isle? The Garrison grind killed the game for me after I got all my toons to 100, but would consider coming back if Tanaan had some of the fun of early TI.

I've been trying to think about how to compare the 2 and this is the best I can come up with: Imagine Timeless Isle and how it was designed. Now imagine if the weekly/daily events and treasures on TI rewarded 0 timeless coins. Then imagine if the rare spawns even the huge ones like the whale and pirate ship only awarded like 20 timeless coins. Finally imagine that each of the sub zones had a really shitty apexis-style daily tied to it and this was your only way of obtaining timeless coins.

That's basically Tanaan.

The zones don't feel alike at all to me. Timeless Isle rewarded you for everything you did on the island. Tanaan does not. The meat of Tanaan, the thing that is supposed to get you to come back every day and do stuff, is the apexis dailies. Once you are done with those there isn't really anything else to do in the zone. The rare spawns are very unrewarding and the treasures are all 1 time things (like other draenor zones). There is one exception to that in that there are chests that respawn infinitely (but only 1 person can loot them so you can't just run around constantly picking up chests) but they mostly have garrison resources in them. There is a chance for them to drop one of the ilvl 650 tokens (which can be upgraded to 695 with a burden of eternity-like item) but it's not all that common. Rare spawns also have a chance to drop these tokens, but again, not that common.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I was lost without master plan. Glad it's back.

Also, I sort of like the new zone but all of the garrison campaign, jukebox shit, Harrison dailies etc are still to be done and I have no will to do any of it.

The apexis grind is going to be something since I can use it to upgrade at least a few of my pieces. Especially my weapon yuck.

Also, I sort of like the new zone but all of the garrison campaign, jukebox shit, Harrison dailies etc are still to be done and I have no will to do any of it.

My situation as well. I'm going back to logging in twice a week for raids, maybe advancing the shipyard when I've met the requirements but once I've explored Tanaan I'm pretty much done with everything once my guild is tired of HFC.

Jag

I've been trying to think about how to compare the 2 and this is the best I can come up with: Imagine Timeless Isle and how it was designed. Now imagine if the weekly/daily events and treasures on TI rewarded 0 timeless coins. Then imagine if the rare spawns even the huge ones like the whale and pirate ship only awarded like 20 timeless coins. Finally imagine that each of the sub zones had a really shitty apexis-style daily tied to it and this was your only way of obtaining timeless coins.

That's basically Tanaan.

The zones don't feel alike at all to me. Timeless Isle rewarded you for everything you did on the island. Tanaan does not. The meat of Tanaan, the thing that is supposed to get you to come back every day and do stuff, is the apexis dailies. Once you are done with those there isn't really anything else to do in the zone. The rare spawns are very unrewarding and the treasures are all 1 time things (like other draenor zones). There is one exception to that in that there are chests that respawn infinitely (but only 1 person can loot them so you can't just run around constantly picking up chests) but they mostly have garrison resources in them. There is a chance for them to drop one of the ilvl 650 tokens (which can be upgraded to 695 with a burden of eternity-like item) but it's not all that common. Rare spawns also have a chance to drop these tokens, but again, not that common.

That's zero motivation for me to do anything. I should say I'm shocked they went this way but every thing about this xp seems to be designed to drive me away.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they're going to lower the amount of gold from missions on alts then they need to lower the gold requirement of level 3 garrisons.

ZenaxPure

That's zero motivation for me to do anything. I should say I'm shocked they went this way but every thing about this xp seems to be designed to drive me away.

It's almost like Blizzard didn't even understand why a lot of people enjoyed TI when it first came out. There is just really no replayability in Tanaan, once you do the dailies (which are all just the terribly designed fill up the blue bar garbage) nothing else there offers anything of value. Not many people are going to run around chasing rare spawns that drop 20 apexis crystals when you need 20,000 to upgrade a single piece of gear. You're better off just putting in some mage tower work orders and not playing a few days.

zugzug

Because that's a vague-as-all-fuck reason to treat that basically anything as "confirmed" even if it seems arguable or even probable. They pitch ideas all the time and have been talking about faster expansions for upwards of half a decade while never actually doing that.

I'm don't think we should treat Blizzard sort-of hinting at that as a confirmation given that having only 2 raid tiers creates a significant logistical issue, which is that they actually have to deliver expansion content faster. They can't just say they're going to, they actually have to deliver on a promise they've failed repeatedly. If they say they're doing it, its one thing. If they're vague about it, I think the correct assumption is that they don't actually know the answer, because this is how Blizzard has always worked.

its damn funny to see Angry Grimace hasn't changed since Cataclysm and still is the same.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You really gotta wonder why they planned it like this. Tanaan seems like a let down and that's pretty much all of the content other than the raid.

Maybe it sucks a lot because this expansion is by the cataclysm team. Mists was so much better than this expansion at this point.

It's almost like Blizzard didn't even understand why a lot of people enjoyed TI when it first came out. There is just really no replayability in Tanaan, once you do the dailies (which are all just the terribly designed fill up the blue bar garbage) nothing else there offers anything of value. Not many people are going to run around chasing rare spawns that drop 20 apexis crystals when you need 20,000 to upgrade a single piece of gear. You're better off just putting in some mage tower work orders and not playing a few days.

They're expecting Tanaan to work for a lot of people because of the flying chores list. This shit is not fun. I logged in today to do the dailies, it's only my second day and I just logged out. I can't go do another pointless grind again to get something that we should have gotten any way. I don't want to just be handed things, I have no issue putting in time to get something but the time expenditure for the reward is completely out of whack. Everything in this game has degenerated into a grind. Want to make something cool with your profession? 15-30 days worth of cool downs! Want to fly? Do these shit dailies and shit apexis dailies! Not even cool quest based shit, just stand in a zone and kill shit until this bar fills up. This shit is just not fun. TI was fun, this is just a whole zone that really shows everything wrong with this expansion in its entirety.

StMeph

I just d/ced following phasing issues trying to get back to my own garrison from the naval yard.

6.2 is a resounding success.

Tanaan Jungle has two main problems. Who was this built for and why is it so damned unrewarding?

It was supposed to serve as a 'gear catchup' for people jumping back into the game. The problem with this is how absurd it is that the upgrade tokens cost 20,000 apexis crystals. Who thought this was a good idea? Why do these not have any chance at all to drop off of rares like the burden of eternity? You are basically looking at 1-2 week per upgrade, all to get 695 gear. Why would someone do this when they can get 670 honor gear like candy or run mythic dungeons for 685 potentially 691?

As you said there is zero reason to even be on the island after yo have done your dailies which thankfully take zero time to do if you know what you are doing. I can easily hammer out all the dailies in an hour.

Side note, the gold price of the old apexis gear is laughable. 20,000 gold for a single 675 item, really now? Nah, I'll just get 670 honor gear that has set bonuses. Thanks though.

If they're going to lower the amount of gold from missions on alts then they need to lower the gold requirement of level 3 garrisons.

Wait for the additional gold to upgrade the shipyard.

ZenaxPure

It was supposed to serve as a 'gear catchup' for people jumping back into the game.

It does do that. You can easily chase down specific rare spawns and get a full set of 655 gear in a couple of hours. The 695 stuff is not meant as a catch up mechanic, it is a means of alternate progression for people that have little desire to slave away in raids or do dungeons. People have a bad habit of looking at all gear outside of raiding as catch up gear when that is not the intent at all, timeless isle was the same way, valor points/badges in cata/wrath were the same way. That is the best gear a lot of people are going to get so it makes sense for it to be a time consuming task.

Of course that doesn't excuse the fact that Tanaan is poorly designed as an evolution of the TI model.

Ultratech

*Plot stuff*

That's what happened. Don't ask to make any sense of it.

Edit: it's the end because Blizzard has stated at every possible turn that this expansion is a two-raid expansion, for multiple reasons.

Geez, what a mess...

Yeah careful what you wish for. Even in MoP they made ToT a troll raid.

Eh, they were present for the first quarter of ToT and that was it.

Everything else was either Mogu stuff or random creatures/monsters.

C'mon new Troll raid...

Yeah the droprate on baleful stuff is pretty bad. Especially with Tanaan being much less dense and harder to navigate than Timeless Isle. Just not fun really. Still salty I blew 30k apexis on armaments getting all 2Hers before getting a lucky drop one that turned into a 1Her. I have enough garrison resources to do a fuckload of missives, but really, that's not exactly expedient. It's really not much of a gear catchup mechanism compared to Timeless Isle unless you grind, grind, grind. Cause the 650 gear doesn't do much at this point unless you're a completely fresh 100.

IDK.

StMeph

It's really not much of a gear catchup mechanism compared to Timeless Isle unless you grind, grind, grind. Cause the 650 gear doesn't do much at this point unless you're a completely fresh 100.

That's not entirely fair, as Timeless gave just enough ilevel to qualify for SoO LFR. Baleful is 650, which is also the requirement for HFC LFR.

Obviously in both cases people will need a little something extra to actually hit the threshold, but in this sense it's still identical to Timeless Isle.

That's not entirely fair, as Timeless gave just enough ilevel to qualify for SoO LFR. Baleful is 650, which is also the requirement for HFC LFR.

Obviously in both cases people will need a little something extra to actually hit the threshold, but in this sense it's still identical to Timeless Isle.

Except for the fact that you could get Burden of Eternity on the island, timeless isle gear dropped much more frequently, timeless isle gear was BoA.

StMeph

Except for the fact that you could get Burden of Eternity on the island, timeless isle gear dropped much more frequently, timeless isle gear was BoA.

I think I've been pretty critical of all of WoD and 6.2, but this is mostly just not true. There's an empowerment available to kick it up to 695, only they're better than Burdens because you can use it after rolling the token so you know what secondaries you're getting.

It's a bit too early to say that the rate of finding Baleful gear is lower/slower than Timeless, but I will concede that it's not BOA. It's also not armor class restricted, but BOA would be nice for alts.

I think I've been pretty critical of all of WoD and 6.2, but this is mostly just not true. There's an empowerment available to kick it up to 695, only they're better than Burdens because you can use it after rolling the token so you know what secondaries you're getting.

It's a bit too early to say that the rate of finding Baleful gear is lower/slower than Timeless, but I will concede that it's not BOA. It's also not armor class restricted, but BOA would be nice for alts.

Shrug. Sure it is better to know the stats before hand but considering that the Burden equivalent takes a week+ to grind I think it is a bit moot. You are going to have to go through numerous items to get one with stats that you want. Not sure why they couldn't have dropped a cheap re-roll item in there for either gold, apexis, or garrison resources. Loving that versatility.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Can you even do shit in Tanaan if you're lower than 650? I'm 695 and it gets pretty scary sometimes.

I don't know why the baleful tokens arent BOA. Absolutely dumb.

Also the rares will spawn but I can't see them since the servers have that in-server phasing tech that a lot of MMOs use now, except it's still "seamless" and I can't choose what instance I'm in, but the rares still /yell for me and when I go to them, they aren't there.

It's absolutely fucking dumb and I'm already done with Tanaan because I can't actually see the fucking mobs.

Can you even do shit in Tanaan if you're lower than 650? I'm 695 and it gets pretty scary sometimes.

I don't know why the baleful tokens arent BOA. Absolutely dumb.

Also the rares will spawn but I can't see them since the servers have that in-server phasing tech that a lot of MMOs use now, except it's still "seamless" and I can't choose what instance I'm in, but the rares still /yell for me and when I go to them, they aren't there.

It's absolutely fucking dumb and I'm already done with Tanaan because I can't actually see the fucking mobs.

Whats funny is if you get a Baleful token from a naval mission it is BoA and armor type specific just like the old TI ones.

The phasing on the isle is really annoying without a doubt but it has to happen to make it even playable. Keep hearing Doom/Vengeance 'spawning' but it never does, ask in channel and no one sees it. W/e though, not like I'm sitting in TJ hunting rares after the daily is done, zero reason to.

TJ as a whole is a worse version of TI in nearly every way.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I can't even get the treasures off them though, or even try to.

And I would go after the 4 "champions" for the medallion of the legion...but I can never even see them!

I can't even get the treasures off them though, or even try to.

And I would go after the 4 "champions" for the medallion of the legion...but I can never even see them!

Yep, was having that problem earlier. Chests disappearing once you got in range because they are in a different phase (like ore used to).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I am loving WoD so damn much. There is so much to do in the overworked areas while questing. Treasures, rare mobs, all this awesome shit.

Milennia

so we are 9/13h in 2 runs right now, everything was pretty much a joke for us outside of tyrant who was annoying due to the split run dps check and healing comps, but we got through it.

Trokil

Banned
Tanaan ist terrible compared to Timeless Isle.

Timeless Isle was fun, because most of the things you were doing were actually useful. Collecting gear for your alts was great, so you could give them the gear they needed to enter Timeless Isles. Also because there were two chests with burdens everybody was getting, it was easy to update at least 2 items to ilevel 530.

Timeless Isle also had a lot of rares, dropping nice stuff like pets you could sell or even a mount. Some of them were so rare, you only killed them maybe once a month, like the giant. It felt very rewarding riding around TI. Tanaan is nothing like that, the rewards feel like crap already. If something drops, I don’t think; nice, my alt could use that. Even the pet battles against the legendary pets feel like they were just inserted, that people have something to do. Nothing compared to the tournament on the island.

Everything outside the raid feels rushed and as if the just threw us some bones we can chew on, while they plan the next raid. Timeless Isle had 5 world bosses, Tanaan has one and it was a joke to kill Kazzak. Of course, the TI bosses were not harder, but at least there was more, including something for people with the cloak. The just threw the stuff at my feet and ask now, are you not entertained.

lmao new ashran sounds horrible, insta horde queue with 14 players being basecamped getting nothing vs 3 hour ally queue with full raid but getting full geared quickily.

Leave it to blizz to make to fuck up something that was already garbage so bad that they made it even worse.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
lmao new ashran sounds horrible, insta horde queue with 14 players being basecamped getting nothing vs 3 hour ally queue with full raid but getting full geared quickily.

Leave it to blizz to make to fuck up something that was already garbage so bad that they made it even worse.

Haven't tried it on alliance because every time I have checked has been a 2+ hour queue.

So... they do a Q&A where they say that the reputations in WoD sucked and then they give us more of those, in an area that isnt' even interesting.

Okay.

Since the gold nerf I'm barely logging in. Since they killed professions there's no real money maker for me that I can find. Any suggestions?

I'm still shocked blizz could fuck this up so bad. Anyone else think that we're going to see an even larger sub drop for 2nd quarter?

lazygecko

So... they do a Q&A where they say that the reputations in WoD sucked and then they give us more of those, in an area that isnt' even interesting.

Okay.

Since the gold nerf I'm barely logging in. I'm still shocked blizz could fuck this up so bad. Anyone else think that we're going to see an even larger sub drop for 2nd quarter?

I wonder how much of that is going to come from people discouraged by the inflating gold costs of tokens in conjunction with the garrison nerfs. EU tokens are shooting up at over 60k now, and I can't help but feel that the introduction of this system is opening a pandora's box of people no longer willing to pay real money for subscriptions.

Daniel R

The gold nerf isn't so bad as I had feared. Instead of getting 15 k over 11 chars a day it seems like I'm getting 10 k. Setting missions twice a day.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Even with patch 6.2 launched, i don't even feel the urge to play like past major patches. I think I'd rather play a 2nd full playthrough of Witcher 3 than this(and I haven't found Ciri yet, even though I've been playing for a month), which would take me another +100 hours of my time.

What happened to WoW? Or maybe my mind finally had enough after nearly 10 years of playing it...

Quests not showing up until after you complete the map daily in Tanaan has got to be the most blatant show of disrespect for player time, especially ones that could so obviously be completed more efficiently together.

"Fuck you, you're gonna spend more time here grinding and you're going to fucking like it! Or you could just not get these reps for flying you know, it's all optional" *shit eating grin*

ampere

I don't like most of the patch, but I like the raid. So as usually I'll do the boring side stuff because I have to for raiding.

Fuck the shipyard to hell

Top Bottom