• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Been very hesitant to try this expansion.
I liked Vanilla and BC a lot more than the rest, how does this one look to old time WoW players from this thread ?

Are you looking forward to it ?

Thematically I think it looks more interesting than everything barring TBC, which it pretty much is.

Gameplay wise, I expect more of the same quality from pandaria which was great. The new premade group tool makes it easier to find higher difficulties than LFR if you're still not able to commit to a certain time schedule.

I don't really hold vanilla or tbc in high regard though, it took playing Wildstar to remind me that. One aspect I enjoy of tbc/vanilla is individual class buffs and niche roles like shadowpriests, I don't miss some classes being completely unviable though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol.. well I was going to hop back on tonight after a 15 month break and do some real quick end-of-MoP stuff and..... looks like I'm fucked!!!!!

oh well, my fault.. not blizz's..

so is there any point to hopping back on tonight? Or just wait until tomorrow?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a Orc Rogue on Mal'Ganis and I basically don't know anyone there (but I have 11 85+ on my main PvE server so I figured why not).

I don't suppose anyone on GAF has a guild there I can casually bum around in from time to time?

Edit: Now that I think about it I actually have 12, I have an 85 Shaman on Kel'thuzad I haven't logged onto in over a year.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't really hold vanilla or tbc in high regard though, it took playing Wildstar to remind me that.

BC/Vanilla love is generally people remembering how much they enjoyed the game at the time due to new experiences and fun times with friends. Nostalgia for that era of the game rarely has anything to do with actual mechanics and game design, and tends to be more about the setting and just the experience of the game still being fresh (even well into BC.) Which is totally understandable and makes sense, but doesn't really speak to the actual quality of the game then versus now.

There are obviously some missteps, but mechanically the game is so much better now than in those old days. About a year ago I tried to play on a BC-era private server and good god that shit is a mess by today's standards.

I do miss 2h enhance, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haste... doesn't give me... extra hots... anymore...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
bugged or working as intended? ouch.
Can someone please confirm, I might just turn crazy if haste only decreases cast time now...

Fjordson

lol.. well I was going to hop back on tonight after a 15 month break and do some real quick end-of-MoP stuff and..... looks like I'm fucked!!!!!

oh well, my fault.. not blizz's..

so is there any point to hopping back on tonight? Or just wait until tomorrow?
You should be fine tonight. Like I said before, MoP's launch was extremely smooth, but YMMV.

Salamando

Can someone please confirm, I might just turn crazy if haste only decreases cast time now...

It affects more than cast time. I'll just copy/paste what they said in the patch notes...

With some new tech we’re now able to calculate the effect of Haste on tick time dynamically. Any fraction of a full period left at the end of an effect will do a tick of damage or healing in proportion to the remaining time. In other words, there are no more Haste breakpoints; Haste now smoothly and accurately affects periodic effects for the entire duration.

Yoshichan

moar halp needed... help me sort all this shit, I barely remember what half of these are :( What should I save? What should I sell or delete?!

Q8f2hlF.jpg

Magnus

I'm so happy that tech solutions in place now eliminate garbage like breakpoints. Less numbers and analysis and more fun in the game, please and thank you.

vocab

Pretty sure extra haste to a breakpoint = extra tick. You just dont have reforge so breakpoints arent easily achievable.

Fjordson

I more meant, is there anything for me to even do tonight? or is really there no point in anything until tomorrow?
Well depends on where you're at. It launches at midnight tonight in the US so you could jump into Draenor and start leveling.

If you're elsewhere then not really. Just wait patiently lol.

Yoshichan

Sell your reagents on launch day. Make tons of money on people playing catchup.
Delete the honor point shit

What's the honor point shit?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All that stuff is worth buttloads of cash.

I made like 8000g just mining and herbing and selling crafting mats from 1-90 on my Rogue.

2g per unit of Silverleaf capitalismho!.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Aww yisss my CE has shipped from Amazon and is coming from a warehouse one state away. Will definitely have it tomorrow

Peachpies

Pretty sure extra haste to a breakpoint = extra tick. You just dont have reforge so breakpoints arent easily achievable.
there is not breakpoint for extra ticks anymore, your ability will always tick one last time with the damage of the last tick being proportional to the time since the second to last tick, so the total damage or healing of over time effects now always scales with haste instead of only scaling when you could make a new breakpoint

borghe

Well depends on where you're at. It launches at midnight tonight in the US so you could jump into Draenor and start leveling.

If you're elsewhere then not really. Just wait patiently lol.

physical CE coming from UPS. Won't be on my doorstep til probably 2pm tomorrow.

ampere

Damn that was good. I am ready to kill Orcs.

I can literally spam the shit out of rejuvenation without ever going minus on the mana. What's going on?

Level 90 pre-expac tuning. Will not be that way at 100

Free Level 90s was the perfect time to get that GAF guild going for shame

Already burned mine... but we could try to do some casual GAF raids with all the cross realm stuff

Haste... doesn't give me... extra hots... anymore...

It does. Smoothly so you get partial ticks if you don't reach a 'breakpoint'.

Yoshichan

Just noticed the haste-thingy! Thanks guys :)!

borghe

It does. Smoothly so you get partial ticks if you don't reach a 'breakpoint'.

so so so so fucking bad ass!!!!!!!!!! This is fucking awesome. No more need to reforge/re-equip right at breakpoints to get the advantages. Great design change!

RPGCrazied

Think I can get 1 100 in 5 days? Hope so, that is when my life is taken over by Dragon Age. And I don't know who to take first Hunter/Rogue/Mage/Death Knight/Paladin. My 90's!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Think I can get 1 100 in 5 days? Hope so, that is when my life is taken over by Dragon Age. And I don't know who to take first Hunter/Rogue/Mage/Death Knight/Paladin/. My 90's!

Even if you played 1-2 hours a night it should be do-able from what I Have heard.

Yoshichan

Core Hound thingy? Wait, the Molten Core raid will only be available for 1 week?

Kintaco

Think I can get 1 100 in 5 days? Hope so, that is when my life is taken over by Dragon Age. And I don't know who to take first Hunter/Rogue/Mage/Death Knight/Paladin. My 90's!
Yeah the pain of an altoholic. I have 12 90s, though I've narrowed it down to Alliance: Hunter, Pally, or Warlock and on Horde: Pally or Warlock.

I have a Orc Rogue on Mal'Ganis and I basically don't know anyone there (but I have 11 85+ on my main PvE server so I figured why not).

I don't suppose anyone on GAF has a guild there I can casually bum around in from time to time?

Edit: Now that I think about it I actually have 12, I have an 85 Shaman on Kel'thuzad I haven't logged onto in over a year.

Edscott#1446 I can probably get you in my guild though most of us are just starting back up after a long absence.

edit: was way off with that battletag

cdyhybrid

Alright, it's getting really busy at the Dark Portal now.

4 hours leeeeft!

I'm in the US so I have a lot of time left, but I'm sitting in Tol Barad hoping to get this drake and be done with the zone forever before the launch tonight. I'm at 184 commendations out of 200, with 6 dailies left available if they rotate in. That means I have to win 4 battles today and get lucky with the dailies.

CassSept

I can't even play tomorrow, it seems I'm gonna miss the first day of the expac for the first time since I started playing in TBC :(

Anoregon

So, who wants to bet that everything explodes the second the expansion is accessible?

When's the last time that even happened? I don't even think Wrath was messy.

Rizific

are any stores selling physical copies today? or am i pretty much forced to do a digital purchase if i want to get in as it starts?

Bc launch was the last time the servers were unusable

Wrath had some lag spikes but I was in at 1 am my time and played without any real issues ever since

Getting CE from best buy tomorrow to add to the collection of Every blizzard CE since warcraft 3

I can't decide to play my orc shaman or use my alliance priest that I'm boosting tomorrow

Also I'm stuck at work tomorrow until like 6 PM

I'm going to fight my boss

CassSept

When's the last time that even happened? I don't even think Wrath was messy.

Back in Wrath not that many people had access to codes before the launch, retail copies were still the way to go for most people back then iirc. 3.0 had dreadful stability problems and servers were down very often during raid hours but nothing of that sort at launch itself.

Cata and MoP launches were smooth though. The zones are overpopulated but the servers themselves work fine.

Top Bottom