• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

TheYanger

tIwgij6.jpg

Tacitus_

Bummer, I used to use a macro that would cast ground mounts in non-flyable areas and flying in flyable ones. It even worked when they made all the new mounts worked on nonflyable areas, but it no longer works in Draenor. Just pulls out Galakras every time.

Same here. They probably ballsed up the zone tags for flying somehow.

glaurung

Played a bit during the EU launch window.

Everything broke and it was unplayable for a good 40 minutes following the midnight moment. For the first time in my life I also saw a battle.net app queue screen.

Once I finally managed to get in, I started experiencing the weirdest issues I've ever seen in WoW. I would port to Blasted Lands, fly all the way to the portal itself, only to be miraculously teleported back to the portal. Lose connection, respawn in Orgrimmar instead.

But once the first hurdles were overcome, it was pretty great. The cinematic going into the portal was awesome, as were many that follows. Also, a lot of truly great cut scenes rendered in glorious detail with the game engine.

The quests that precede the building of the garrison are actually very well made - in terms of allowing many players spam it at the same time. I did not have problems with the planting of the tree marker banners. Mob spawn rates were obviously crazy fast due to the player count.

Played all the way to building your first barracks in the garrison. Then I realized that I have work in the morning, and now I am here, sleepy as all hell.

Even with all the problems that were manifest at the beginning, this has been the coolest expansion launch in a long while.

Shahadan

Completed Shadowmoon valley, goddamn. What a magnificent zone. Beautiful vistas, skyboxes, and general architecture. Single handedly redeemed draeneis in my eyes :p
Final event and cutscene were great as well.
I would spend all my game time there if I could :lol:

On the other hand Karabor was superb, it hurts even more. ;(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They need to phase the entire starting zone for launches like this.

Fuck the MMO experience, this is literally unplayable. I'd rather play a playable single player game than an unplayable massively multiplayer game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They need to phase the entire starting zone for launches like this.

Fuck the MMO experience, this is literally unplayable. I'd rather play a playable single player game than an unplayable massively multiplayer game.

That would be stupid for anything past the first week of the launch, maybe even the first day.

It's just not gonna work for the first few hours, there's nothing they can do about it nor should they.

Got DC'd on Sarg. And Hearthed lol. Can't get back to draenor.

cdyhybrid

That would be stupid for anything past the first week of the launch, maybe even the first day.

It's just not gonna work for the first few hours, there's nothing they can do about it nor should they.

Why would it be stupid? You lose absolutely nothing by not seeing other people running around as you quest.

Dresden

Considering that the intro stuff including the garrison quest is all about you establishing your presence on Draenor, just instancing the damn things would make sense.

Like why the fuck are these hundreds of other people on my land.

TheYanger

1KO1J0C.jpg

By the cata portals. I had to google it. I shit you not, that amateur hour piece of shit is how you get back haha

Karl Hawk

Banned
Garrison has been built (Blizz was probably generous enough to complete that quest for everyone). Think I'll come back later for questing.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
1KO1J0C.jpg

By the cata portals. I had to google it. I shit you not, that amateur hour piece of shit is how you get back haha

I figured it out right after I posted, you have to walk through it if youre going through the big one in blasted lands, you can't be flying/on a mount.

Considering that the intro stuff including the garrison quest is all about you establishing your presence on Draenor, just instancing the damn things would make sense.

Like why the fuck are these hundreds of other people on my land.

It wouldn't matter how far in they had it instanced, people would just move through that part and get to a roadblock all the same. They specifically said they wanted to get back to the MMO feel the game used to have at Blizzcon.

cdyhybrid

I figured it out right after I posted, you have to walk through it if youre going through the big one in blasted lands, you can't be flying/on a mount.

It wouldn't matter how far in they had it instanced, people would just move through that part and get to a roadblock all the same. They specifically said they wanted to get back to the MMO feel the game used to have at Blizzcon.

MMO feel wasn't hundreds of people spam clicking a flag for an hour trying to complete a quest, last I checked.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
MMO feel wasn't hundreds of people spam clicking a flag for an hour trying to complete a quest, last I checked.

Don't be obtuse. Launch events are an outlier. Having the entire server in one spot will never happen after the first 24 hours of the expansion going live.

cdyhybrid

Don't be obtuse. Launch events are an outlier. Having the entire server in one spot will never happen after the first 24 hours of the expansion going live.

I'm not being obtuse. You lose literally nothing by phasing the content. They did it just fine in Tanaan Jungle. It won't happen after the first 24 hours because no one will be doing it anymore, at which point you (again) lose nothing by phasing the content.

ampere

Got my garrison, AND finished my first WoD dungeon. I'm happy, and that's enough for this launch. Going to rest up and play tomorrow evening :).

For everyone still playing... have fun y'all! May you get something awesome :D (Or hit server first or whatever!)

wow. lucky.

I still can't do the Garrison thing, but they are setting a hotfix now

How are people enjoying the new expansion?

Expansion itself is great so far, the hoirrble server lag where everything is delayed by 2-3 seconds and random crashes to the character select screen aren't :p

I'm now listening to a harp playing Draenei at the Lamplighter Inn. Her music is so soothing <3

Too bad the game isnt playable atm, because of the lag.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's absolutley amazing that Blizzard can still get launches so wrong. That they still don't have a temporary fix for the first week that they can bandage at will.

cdyhybrid

It's absolutley amazing that Blizzard can still get launches so wrong. That they still don't have a temporary fix for the first week that they can bandage at will.

Spending hours trying to complete a single level 91 quest is an integral part of the MMO experience. This is necessary for the health of the game.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Spending hours trying to complete a single level 91 quest is an integral part of the MMO experience. This is necessary for the health of the game.

Saying they should design their game around a single day of burst traffic is just forum QQ.

Anything they did to alleviate this would be absolutely pointless in 12-24 hours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just going to go play consoles or something. I want to actually enjoy my time with the expansion so forcing myself to put up with 10 second delay on everything is just hurting it for me.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Guess they wasted all that time phasing Tanaan Jungle for nothing then, eh?

The intro quest is the tutorial for boosted 90s, it's there to hook players into continuing playing while giving them a unique experience. It's there to learn your class and get your skills.

cdyhybrid

That's exactly why it is the way it is, so normal play wouldn't be impacted and have people seperated in different phases when it wouldn't be needed.

Except when I'm leveling up my fifth alt in 3 months, there will barely be anyone doing the quests anyway. Phasing it changes nothing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You realising thios is a networking issue and not that easy to fix right? :p

Destiny had none of these issues. Blizzard knew they were going to have a frontload on the zones because there's no new race or class to level, so they knew everyone would be in one zone. Yet they didn't phase it off, they didn't use the single servers instead of the merged servers temporarily, they didn't do anything to prepare for it because that costs money. And we don't like spending money.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Except when I'm leveling up my fifth alt in 3 months, there will barely be anyone doing the quests anyway. Phasing it changes nothing.

For all you know phasing Tanaan jungle for everyone to have their own personal zone is taking up server resources from the rest of the continent and making everyone else lag as it goes through those motions.

TheContact

I tried waking up at 3am (3 hours ago) but I couldn't do it. It's 6 now and I have to leave by 730 so at least I'll get an hour of game time in until I get home from work at 5

cdyhybrid

For all you know phasing Tanaan jungle for everyone to have their own personal zone is taking up server resources from the rest of the continent and making everyone else lag as it goes through those motions.

Yeah, and maybe 1% of the people online right now actually managed to get out of the first few zones by now. Blizzard screwed up, it's okay. It's not the end of the world.

TheContact

So I got a few quest deep, burned some huts, now there's no quest after that because of a bug. Can't do anything. So glad I didn't wake up at 3 lol

Edit--Found out what I needed to do: there's another set of quests on the map that I needed to do before I could continue

Top Bottom