• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Hixx

Frostweed is like 15g per unit :(

I'm hoping it tumbles when more people have their herb gardens. Ore was always going to be cheap as it's easy to get to 92 to open up your mine on alts.

StayDead

gecyKHx.jpg

:D:D

Grats

This reminds me I have a huge bone to pick with Hemet's presence in Draenor. Dude and his son are normally in charge of epic beast hunts, culminating in some usually challenging battles for the level you're asked to tackle them at. This time he just sits, chilling by a pond drinking his booze while you accidentally wander into the area and have a psychotic break telling you to kill every beastie within a certain radius of him. Such a nihilistic capstone to the saga of butchering in the name of Nesingwary.

lazygecko

Yeah, I don't think I'll be playing my shaman much at all until they fix the class. I can barely even do the level 100 dailies on my own as elemental. 3 mobs on that roost island in Shadowmoon will completely tax my char even when blowing cooldowns and there's a good chance I'll die from them. I've checked through all the class forums and the shaman ones are going absolutely bonkers compared to everyone else so it doesn't just seem like a case of the grass being greener. Also no wonder how a DK guildie beat me to 100 when I had almost a whole level of a headstart, with how sluggish my combat performance has been.

If you're maining shaman I suggest you focus on one of your alts unless you want to deal with major headaches. Shamans usually underperform at the start of each expansion but this is on another level.

ampere

Yeah, I don't think I'll be playing my shaman much at all until they fix the class. I can barely even do the level 100 dailies on my own as elemental. 3 mobs on that roost island in Shadowmoon will completely tax my char even when blowing cooldowns and there's a good chance I'll die from them. I've checked through all the class forums and the shaman ones are going absolutely bonkers compared to everyone else so it doesn't just seem like a case of the grass being greener. Also no wonder how a DK guildie beat me to 100 when I had almost a whole level of a headstart, with how sluggish my combat performance has been.

If you're maining shaman I suggest you focus on one of your alts unless you want to deal with major headaches. Shamans usually underperform at the start of each expansion but this is on another level.

How is your gear? Maybe try the group dailies.

I just started leveling my shaman alt, level 91 now with 557 ilevel as enhance. Enhance feels pretty good, will probably do that and restore.

lazygecko

Wait, there are level 100 dailies?

From your garrison you can choose between solo and group dailies, for 800 or 1000 apexis crystals. It was the solo one I was doing, but just gave up halfway through.

How is your gear? Maybe try the group dailies.

I just started leveling my shaman alt, level 91 now with 557 ilevel as enhance. Enhance feels pretty good, will probably do that and restore.

Gear don't really have anything to do with. I know another shaman who spent quite some time decking himself in full PvP gear, and he can't even kill freshly dinged 100s in it.

Enhance is a bit better but it's not saying much really. Any other melee will steamroll them. All specs feel like they did in MoP pre-patch when you're starting out in your early 90s since you will be way overgeared compared to the mobs. Once you get to Spires of Arak you get a significant difficulty spike.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
From your garrison you can choose between solo and group dailies, for 800 or 1000 apexis crystals. It was the solo one I was doing, but just gave up halfway through.

Oh, I thought there was something I was missing. I did the group one last night, and today the group one was giving out 800 apexis crystals again, so I just grabbed the solo one.

Chris R

PRO TIP

If you have Windows 8.1, disable automatic Windows Updates.... I almost had to requeue through 5k more people because of that bullshit.

Dresden

They'll probably just buff shamanism again.

lol.

Apt101

I should have upgraded my mine earlier. It's huge at level 2.

I'm waiting to get my trading post to level 2 prior to heading over to Shattrath so I can unlock the reputations first. I want thems armors.

Edit: wow shamans sound like they have it hard. Good thing I didn't use mine. As a ret pally I can literally just click buttons and beat elites.

lazygecko

They'll probably just buff shamanism again.

lol.

I think the spec needs some serious redesigns. It really doesn't help that they've sucked a lot of the joy out of playing it. I loved the elemental playstyle throughout Cataclysm and Pandaria. Now we can't cast lightning bolt while moving anymore, which really stiffens the playstyle. And Unleash Elements is not a targeted damage ability anymore, it's just a short term buff to get our Lava Burst up to an acceptable level of damage. It's not fun to cast at all anymore and just feels like you're jumping through hoops with it.

It's high time they changed things up in a major way. I think one lost opportunity is how caster shamans use shields but they're the only shield-using class who don't have any sort of active ability revolving around their shield. They should think up something fun for that.

mileS

The new crafting system is kind of garbage. I get what they are trying to but... smh.

Should I take about 2 weeks to make engineering goggles. or get free 640 helm from the Molten Core WoW anniversary? not a very hard choice. Yeah you can upgrade the goggles slightly more but the mats required are silly.

For as simple as they made most of the game, changing profession crafting to what it is now is taking a step backwards imo.

The new crafting system is kind of garbage. I get what they are trying to but... smh.

Should I take about 2 weeks to make engineering goggles. or get free 640 helm from the Molten Core WoW anniversary? not a very hard choice. Yeah you can upgrade the goggles slightly more but the mats required are silly.

For as simple as they made most of the game, changing profession crafting to what it is now is taking a step backwards imo.

The bullshit with professions is that it takes like 15-30 days to make ANYTHING worthwhile. I don't really know WHY they've gone that route either. It's more frustrating than anything.

Dresden

I think the spec needs some serious redesigns. It really doesn't help that they've sucked a lot of the joy out of playing it. I loved the elemental playstyle throughout Cataclysm and Pandaria. Now we can't cast lightning bolt while moving anymore, which really stiffens the playstyle. And Unleash Elements is not a targeted damage ability anymore, it's just a short term buff to get our Lava Burst up to an acceptable level of damage. It's not fun to cast at all anymore and just feels like you're jumping through hoops with it.

It's high time they changed things up in a major way. I think one lost opportunity is how caster shamans use shields but they're the only shield-using class who don't have any sort of active ability revolving around their shield. They should think up something fun for that.

Think the most players can hope for are some band aid fixes, and it's all you can do to hope that they'll be the right ones. Their odd fixation with making eles use 'earth' spells is here to stay for at least the duration of the xpac so I'm not too hopeful. There's no way shamans will get a class redesign in the middle of WoD, and I doubt they'll see one going into Azshara or whatever.

PVE wise they can at least fiddle with the numbers to bring them up to par (so obviously they'll just buff shamanism again, and maybe increase crit damage for LvB). Really don't see it getting better on the PVP front though, it's the single worst spec in the game for it.

Do I need to build up all my garrison for my alts? I really got burnt up in gorgron.

I need to log in like 1 month daily to have all the enchants spells, goooooooooood lord.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
With DFA, the new perks, and the new combo system? I think rogues are officially number two behind warriors on the most fun class to play.

With DFA, the new perks, and the new combo system? I think rogues are officially number two behind warriors on the most fun class to play.

Isn't DFA like the worst talent in that row? Last I heard it was barely a dps increase.

But yeah rogues are insanely fun right now.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was excited for Ashran but it is horrible. Tiny map and it is just a zerg playing tug of war in a narrow tunnel. Seems like a giant mess, and a boring one at that.

Chris R

2nd horde zone not as much fun as the first so far, but I always hated everything that wasn't Nagrand or Netherstorm in Outlands.

Apt101

The high res cinematics look great. I like how they look like the in-game engine.

The fight for Shattrath was awesome. I loved it when Yrel popped the angel wings and buried Durotan's axe in Blackhand, then he leveled him with her mace. Looked great.

Artanisix

As a shaman main, I have no idea what you're talking about.

vocab

As a shaman main, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I do. elemental is pretty exhausting with the shit ass haste. I only died in nagrand on the final storyline because i pulled multiple elites and the boss, but if I was a dk or monk I would of easily handled stuff better.

My damage is pretty competitive compared to some of my guildes. I kept up with a 620 ilvl warrior and im 605.

It feels weak, but the lack of haste makes the spec just messed up.

Maddrical

Just upgraded my garrison to level two and started getting into mining/engineering work orders. How does this change professions? Having your own mine with a tonne of nodes, plus all these work orders.. it seems like they've changed professions hugely, no? I'm low level engineering/mining as I RAF'd this toon up to 90 over a week so I haven't had time to level professions.

I played WoW from Vanilla to Cataclysm, quit right before MoP came out as I didn't like it at all. Coming back, I can't get over how EASY everything is. I haven't died questing once, wiped in maybe one dungeon, every second quest seems to give a rare (how can items be rare when they're from an easy quest?) and flight points galore! It's pretty crazy.

I also don't understand the new scaling of this game. I LOVED the reduced stats of the new patch, it was much needed. A ranged weapon at level 90 is about 90 odd DPS, for about 1 DPS per level. Yet I checked the first ranged weapon of the new raid, and it's something like 400 DPS. Is the linear scaling only for previous expansions? I presume so. A bit disappointing IMO.

Tarazet

Just upgraded my garrison to level two and started getting into mining/engineering work orders. How does this change professions? Having your own mine with a tonne of nodes, plus all these work orders.. it seems like they've changed professions hugely, no? I'm low level engineering/mining as I RAF'd this toon up to 90 over a week so I haven't had time to level professions.

It doesn't change a whole lot. In fact, with the way everything is gated behind costly daily cooldowns and the production rate of your garrison not really being adequate for that, crafting without having the proper gathering skill is harder than ever. Not only that, but the skills that produce BoE armor pieces require different gathering skills, so dust off those gathering alts, folks.

Maddrical

It doesn't change a whole lot. In fact, with the way everything is gated behind costly daily cooldowns and the production rate of your garrison not really being adequate for that, crafting without having the proper gathering skill is harder than ever. Not only that, but the skills that produce BoE armor pieces require different gathering skills, so dust off those gathering alts, folks.

I knew garrisons were going to be like an iPhone/Facebook game and was okay with that because it's a sort of mini-game within WoW. But the fact that they've roped professions in on this is a bit disappointing to me. Eh, I suppose I can't judge until I start crafting stuff.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm really surprised Blizzard isn't pushing the secrets/treasure thing harder. Some of the zones are just packed with cool secret areas that have puzzle elements built into exploring them, and it's the best way to earn your initial Garrison Points. The treasure maps that they sell in the Ashrand capitals are really valuable.

For example, here's a really basic Smuggler's Den that's tucked away in the side of a cliff:
If you touch the ropes a rigged gun will blow you back to the entrance. Avoiding the booby traps to get the treasure isn't super hard, but it's a really nice touch and these zones are just packed with cool things to find.

Also, gliders >>> flying.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In late beta it was beating shadow reflection and venom rush handily.

No, Death from Above is the worst talent because none of the specs should take it.

DFA is just worse for Assassination and Combat because it costs too much energy to use. This could be different when Rogues have more haste later in the expansion but for now, you'd lose DPS using it over the alternatives. Its basically the same thing DPS-wise as Shadow Reflection, but it also is significantly harder to use to the same level in practice. All you do is press some one button for more damage with SR.

Venom Rush is highest for Combat and SR for the other two, although you can get away with Venom Rush in Assassination at a small DPS loss.

Maddrical

I'm really surprised Blizzard isn't pushing the secrets/treasure thing harder. Some of the zones are just packed with cool secret areas that have puzzle elements built into exploring them, and it's the best way to earn your initial Garrison Points. The treasure maps that they sell in the Ashrand capitals are really valuable.

For example, here's a really basic Smuggler's Den that's tucked away in the side of a cliff:

If you touch the ropes a rigged gun will blow you back to the entrance. Avoiding the booby traps to get the treasure isn't super hard, but it's a really nice touch and these zones are just packed with cool things to find.

Also, gliders >>> flying.

This is awesome, do they appear on your map or anything? I'm only level 92 but I haven't noticed any. Would definitely encourage me to explore a bit more rather than running point A to point B for every quest.

Also, what are all the ways to earn garrison points? Missions, quests, these treasures, anything else?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also, what are all the ways to earn garrison points? Missions, quests, these treasures, anything else?

Rares will drop Garrison Resources at least once when you kill them per toon.

Lumber Mill/Trading Post lets you earn 20 Resources every 4 hours, which is decent.

There's the cache by your Garrison headquarters, which creates 1 Resource every 10 minutes and 144 Resources over the course of a day. I'm not sure if there's a cap on stockpiled Resources in this cache since I loot it as much as possible.

ZenaxPure

This is awesome, do they appear on your map or anything? I'm only level 92 but I haven't noticed any. Would definitely encourage me to explore a bit more rather than running point A to point B for every quest.

They do not appear on your map by default but when you finish all the story quests in a zone you can buy a treasure map in Ashran that will mark the location of all treasure for that zone on your map. You still have to find the exact location when you get there (since everything is typically hidden) but it points you in the right direction (and serves as a checklist since the map icon will go away when you get the item).

As for garrison resources you can also get them fairly common from rare spawns. Not sure if it is all rare spawns or 100% drop chance but I farmed the 600 I needed for my T3 garrison today from rare spawns and treasures.

Maddrical

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going hunting for rare mobs tonight! I've seen one but ignored it because it looked like something you'd need a party for (like the Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula) but apparently not.

So probably 75% of my guild has at least one character already at 100. They're poking fun at me for only getting up to 94 today but I've been having a blast looking for things. That moment where you spot the highlighted purple object and then start to figure out how to get to it... it's rad. Also those moments where you discover something, go "fuck, how do I get to that??" and then you go through this long and complicated process thinking you're smart and they you realized there was an easy path all along. :p

I'm having fun going after the rares I can solo at my level too. I'm just really in no rush to get to 100, feel undergeared, and then slip into dungeons trying to make up for it.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going hunting for rare mobs tonight! I've seen one but ignored it because it looked like something you'd need a party for (like the Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula) but apparently not.

They function a lot different from classic rare spawns. They aren't really any more difficult to kill than most mobs in the area, and are guaranteed to drop a blue item and some garrison resources the first time you kill them. In some instances you don't even need to be the first one to tag it to get credit for killing it (happened to me 2-3 times, I suspect there are some that are intended to be killed often).

Sooo I have run into the Gorgrond kill fest. I am on KT and it is one of these 80-90% alliance servers and I am horde. I am constantly being ganked in the middle of the night. It is getting old pretty fast. Probably time to consider going to a PVE server.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish the damage was bugged and the tooltip accurate rather than the other way around.

I want to DPS with Force Lightning.

Top Bottom