• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Lanrutcon

Things I have learnt:

- If you're gonna craft, start as early as humanly possible. Everything has cooldowns and stupidly intensive material requirements. Tailoring, for example, takes about 22 days just to get to 700, never mind actually making anything worthwhile. You can shave a few days if you get a lucky follower pull, but you ain't shortcutting shit in this xpac. BOP shit with 1 day cooldowns all around.

- Hit every rare and treasure you can while leveling. Skipping that stuff means that your garrison will suffer. Install the draenor treasure/draenor rare spawn mods to stay sane.

- Save up 2000 garrison supplies when you're getting near level 100. Start saving early, at around 96 or 97. If you hit 100 without having near that amount, then you haven't been hunting rares/treasures.

- Check every corner of the maps. There's so much content hidden away. You can get some nice followers and alternate vendors for your garrison if you look around.

Wunder

I'm really surprised Blizzard isn't pushing the secrets/treasure thing harder. Some of the zones are just packed with cool secret areas that have puzzle elements built into exploring them, and it's the best way to earn your initial Garrison Points. The treasure maps that they sell in the Ashrand capitals are really valuable.

For example, here's a really basic Smuggler's Den that's tucked away in the side of a cliff:

If you touch the ropes a rigged gun will blow you back to the entrance. Avoiding the booby traps to get the treasure isn't super hard, but it's a really nice touch and these zones are just packed with cool things to find.

Also, gliders >>> flying.

Yeah, it's actually amazing the number of little secrets and things that they've managed to pack in, along with all the rares and small upgrades/distractions they've put into the zone. I'm glad they aren't pushing it as much, because that's really what creates a sense of wonderment in a MMO, the feeling of discovery and the sense of "Holy shit, I just found this awesome thing" instead of the clinical "Lets follow this guide on wowhead/mmochamp because this drops 1,000 garrison resources" kinda thing, which feels a lot crappier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
At school... Wiish I could at least do my garrisons here through a phone app :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished treasure hunting in Frostridge. Disappointed that the 100 level stuff doesn't award resources or gear, just crystals and spirit. I guess they didn't want to make gearing up as easy as soloing a few 1 million HP mobs.

Still, it was really fun. I got a bunch of resource, gold, trash gear that sells for quite a bit, some flavor stuff, toys, and the chance to put my WoW platforming skills to the test. Gonna hit up Shadowmoon next I think.

Aon

Finished treasure hunting in Frostridge. Disappointed that the 100 level stuff doesn't award resources or gear, just crystals and spirit. I guess they didn't want to make gearing up as easy as soloing a few 1 million HP mobs.

Still, it was really fun. I got a bunch of resource, gold, trash gear that sells for quite a bit, some flavor stuff, toys, and the chance to put my WoW platforming skills to the test. Gonna hit up Shadowmoon next I think.

I think Arrakoa land has my favorite platforming in the game. Also platforming is so much fun when the servers are so busy, watching just streams of people communally figure out where they need to jump from.

Haly

I was running into other Treasure hunters/levelers and I had a good time interacting with them. Like for the Molten True Iron node in Frost Ridge. It was surrounded by lava so you couldn't stand next to it. There was a guy there checking it out, and I managed to nab it by standing on a rock outcropping.

I haven't felt a sense of discovery in an MMO like this since Vanilla, back when MMOs were new and full of possibility.

Fjordson

Got a solid four hours in after a long ass queue. Still loving my fury warrior, got him to 93.

I'm still not totally clear on Garrisons and what their long term benefit is, but they're interesting so far. I got an alchemy lab so that's cool. Not sure what it does yet, but yeah.

Expansion is awesome. The server problems are incredibly frustrating, but the new content is great once you get in.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The treasure hunting is probably the most interesting addition they've made to the game for a very long time. I really like finding some random things every now and then.

The treasures, rares, and garrisons kind of all compliment each other in these subtle ways that is really cool.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got to level 20! Riding feels good, man. Especially since I had a free mount from Heartstone or something.

davepoobond

Got to level 20! Riding feels good, man. Especially since I had a free mount from Heartstone or something.

I sometimes see players with two names. Not hyphenated, but just two names. I tried that and it didn't let me, so how do you do that?

The name after the hyphen is the server name.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I meant without hyphens, but I just found out they were titles. They were just more name-looking than title-looking.

Also for some reason the crit % my rogue is getting keeps going down as I level even though I keep getting more equipment that gives crit chance. I wonder if maybe I traded in some agility and that actually pays off better for rogue? It's subtle, under 2% change overall, but it did slowly go down.

davepoobond

I meant without hyphens, but I just found out they were titles. They were just more name-looking than title-looking.

Oh, those are simply "titles" -- you earn them mostly from achievements or quests or raids or whatever. It's mostly a cosmetic bonus for an accomplishment.

Some of the more illustrious ones are instantly recognizable for their amount of work involved like The Insane or The Undying etc etc

Also for some reason the crit % my rogue is getting keeps going down as I level even though I keep getting more equipment that gives crit chance. I wonder if maybe I traded in some agility and that actually pays off better for rogue? It's subtle, under 2% change overall, but it did slowly go down.

As you level, the amount of crit rating you need to get 1% crit increases.

For example, At level 10 you need x amount. At level 50 you need 5x the amount of crit to get 1%.

Lanrutcon

The numbers required for derived stats increase each level. Better gear isn't always...um...better gear. It's kinda annoying!

Hellers

I was just looking at the hotfix notes and saw this

Characters with over 600 skill should no longer continue to find catch-up items for the respective profession

What are catch up items? I was playing on my Hunter last night and found a couple of scrolls that said they made me draenor master at inscription and first aid but when I used them my skill points hadn't gone up at all.

Godan

So hit level 89 last night and will be getting 90 when i get home from work which will be my first level 90.

Started at level 73 or something on friday night but because me and my friend did the refer a friend thing we got the 3x xp boost. So what we did over the weekend was just do dungeons till we hit level 85 and skiped the questing in WOTLK and Cata. Is it worth going back to do these quests?

Ensirius

So hit level 89 last night and will be getting 90 when i get home from work which will be my first level 90.

Started at level 73 or something on friday night but because me and my friend did the refer a friend thing we got the 3x xp boost. So what we did over the weekend was just do dungeons till we hit level 85 and skiped the questing in WOTLK and Cata. Is it worth going back to do these quests?
I loved wotlk. My favorite expansion overall.

I also very much enjoyed the underwater quests in Cata.

Lanrutcon

Is it just me or is rare boesses in WoD zones really easy? I've been able to kill every single one I see with my hunter.

There are gold border bosses in some zones that you're welcome to fuck with. You even get rewards for beating them. There was this giant water thing that hit me for 10k at level 93, and fired in volleys of 5. It also did an AOE paralysis that lasted 20 seconds.

Godan

I loved wotlk. My favorite expansion overall.

I also very much enjoyed the underwater quests in Cata.

Yeah I didn't like the underwater part of Cata. Best Zones i have seen so far I think is MoP just like the style they have for it.

Now the decision tonight when i hit 90 is do I buy WoD or hold off a few weeks.

lazygecko

The main issue with Vash'Jir is that we are not used to navigating a world in 3 dimensions like that. Especially not with the way quests are designed around markers on a flat map rather than the quest text telling you more specifically where to go.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Does anyone else have a problem with the WoW Armory app? It gives me the ''The armory encountered an error handling this request'' message. To be honest, it's rather bizzare that Blizz never bothered to update the app with amounts of loot and shit that's in 6.0 and WoD. Hell, the app doesn't have a specific page for loot from HC (Now Mythic) SoO.

And since people forgot to answer it few pages ago, what kind of amazing WoW raiding videos should I keep my eye on? I've been in the mood to watch some youtube videos of WoW raiding.

Godan

If your server has no or very small queues I'd buy it.

Bloodhoof EU I am on. Had a few queues last week lasting no more than an hour but so its not all that bad.

I guess I would be best just continuing my leveling to 100 and go back and do anything I may have missed out on.

Interfectum

Really dove into the game over the weekend... level 45 and halfway through Gorgrond. I honestly thought post-WotLK WoW would never excite me as much as Vanilla/BC/Wrath but I gotta say so far this is the best WoW expansion they've made. Questing is enjoyable now thanks to the emphasis on exploring the lands, finding rare mobs, discovering caves with treasures, etc. Lore wise I'm loving all the voice acting and cutscenes that accompany some of the bigger moments. And the icing on the cake are the garrisons. I have my own base, I collect new followers Suikoden style, everyone around the world calls me commander making me feel like after all the years I've been saving Azeroth from annihilation I'm finally getting some in-game recognition... it's all very cool shit.

Aside from the server issues at launch this has been a knock out of the park for Blizzard imo.

Jarnet87

got to 96 last night, happy with the progress considering i played only an hour Thursday and none Friday. Was contemplating getting up early to play but decided to just go to the gym before instead of after work, now just have to pray Stormrage queue wont be so insane I can't play tonight.

Can anyone explain why the level 100 epic blacksmithing gear has a lower crafting requirments and higher stats than the blue counterparts? Why would I ever make the blue pieces?

Giggzy

Does the herb garden and the mine produce enough materials on their own to supplement not having to pick the professions up? I want my alt to be an alchemist and engineer, but not sure if I'll get enough mats from those two resources by themselves.

Jag

If the flashy Mission Complete animation bothers you, Curse has an addon called Breeze that removes it. Makes finishing the mission clicking much faster.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Does the herb garden and the mine produce enough materials on their own to supplement not having to pick the professions up? I want my alt to be an alchemist and engineer, but not sure if I'll get enough mats from those two resources by themselves.

So far, yes.

Boogdud

Blizzard really really really needs to fix Multistrike breaking CC's 15 yards behind me. It's getting me killed on these Apexis Crystal dailies.

Yup, I've tried to avoid ms gear every chance I get. It's like a death sentence sometimes. I'm hoping they will fix it so that multi strike doesn't hit cc'd mobs.

Sothpaw

Really dove into the game over the weekend... level 45 and halfway through Gorgrond. I honestly thought post-WotLK WoW would never excite me as much as Vanilla/BC/Wrath but I gotta say so far this is the best WoW expansion they've made. Questing is enjoyable now thanks to the emphasis on exploring the lands, finding rare mobs, discovering caves with treasures, etc. Lore wise I'm loving all the voice acting and cutscenes that accompany some of the bigger moments. And the icing on the cake are the garrisons. I have my own base, I collect new followers Suikoden style, everyone around the world calls me commander making me feel like after all the years I've been saving Azeroth from annihilation I'm finally getting some in-game recognition... it's all very cool shit.

Aside from the server issues at launch this has been a knock out of the park for Blizzard imo.

Hit 97 last night and agree totally, this is the best xpac so far.

So far, yes.

Not at level 1 they won't. The garden doesn't produce enough frostweed to supply th edaily catalyst/secrets cooldown for alchemists. I presume the same is true for the equivalent cooldowns required by jewelcrafters/blacksmiths/engineers. If you are gathering in the wild you'll get enough stone/seeds so that the work orders add up over time, but I wouldn't say the mine and garden are enough on their own to really fuel a production profession.

Haly

Mine will produce ore faster than you can make them into things.

Herb Garden, probably not. At least, not going by market prices.

Mine will produce ore faster than you can make them into things.

Herb Garden, probably not. At least, not going by market prices.

Correct. At least at level 2 mine.

Not sure how the herb garden holds up at level 3 though.

And gathering herbs is hell btw, as I mentioned before.

Got to 715 skill on my Tauren Druid and the nodes still only give 3 herbs max, besides being extremely spread out and scarce. Getting something like 1 herb/minute.

Manus

I feel like DK tanks are so boring to play now. They made rune strike passive and removed heart strike. Now we just spam death strike and blood coil. So fun.

Haly

I guess it was to make up for all those years where mining > herbing.

I feel like I'm having the exact opposite experience with Herbs so far.(I'm only 97 atm) I've had more herbs than I know what to do with and it seems like I have those random herb guys coming up about one in every five nodes giving me another 10-15 herbs.

Tacitus_

The mine provides a fuckton of stuff, but the garden is a bit iffier. It produces enough to cover your daily work order and daily cd needs with a bit left over.

Godan

What are the easiest flying mounts you can get without buying them with gold?

From what I can see they just drop from bosses or you have to get achievements. Are you able to do them solo or do you need a group?

Only got two griffins that you can buy from a vendor in Stormwind.

Haly

What are the easiest flying mounts you can get without buying them with gold?

From what I can see they just drop from bosses or you have to get achievements. Are you able to do them solo or do you need a group?

Only got two griffins that you can buy from a vendor in Stormwind.

Go play a game of Hearthstone. It'll reward you with the Hearthsteed, which is a flying horse.

Kacar

Learned last night that you can buy treasure maps for the Draenor zones. I was up all night and only finished 2 zones. :(

Got my garrison to tier 3. Can't beat the one aquatic pet though to open my pet building. Probably cause 2 of my 4 25s are weak against it.

Top Bottom