• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Bowlie

Banned
I'm in the same boat as Edwardo here. The last time I played was during WotLK, little after ICC came out; I don't even know how post-Cata world looks like and suddenly I feel like playing again.

I have a few questions for you guys, if it's not a problem:

1 - I can see in the store that there's only one "WoW" product, then Warlords and Legion. Does that mean that all expansions up until and including MoP merged into a single product?

2 - Is there any instance / mount (like that purple birdie that dropped in Auchindoun, or the bear from Zul'Aman) / reputation that's not available anymore?

3 - Is there a specific server where I could play so I could get together with you all?

4 - How's resto/balance tauren druid been going these days? I miss playing as a cow.

Thank you all c:

Tacitus_

it's carlos larkin

Oh they just hired a dude who sounds like Metzen.

I'm in the same boat as Edwardo here. The last time I played was during WotLK, little after ICC came out; I don't even know how post-Cata world looks like and suddenly I feel like playing again.

I have a few questions for you guys, if it's not a problem:

1 - I can see in the store that there's only one "WoW" product, then Warlords and Legion. Does that mean that all expansions up until and including MoP merged into a single product?

2 - Is there any instance / mount (like that purple birdie that dropped in Auchindoun, or the bear from Zul'Aman) / reputation that's not available anymore?

3 - Is there a specific server where I could play so I could get together with you all?

4 - How's resto/balance tauren druid been going these days? I miss playing as a cow.

Thank you all c:

1) yes, everything up to MoP comes with the base game
2) maybe, most have just gone to really rare drops
3) no, there is no gaf server

strafer

Also, The Lich King is probably not a full blown character like in Wrath. I think he's just involved with the Questline with the legendary.

Doesn't seem like he's up for the fighting this time.

Zelias

Banned
I actually kinda like that the Lich King seems to have retained his arrogant, wrathful personality even with Bolvar in control. Presumably the Ebon Blade is now following him willingly.

ampere

I think it's fine to bring the Lich King back for a minor role. All denizens of Azeroth are combining forces for fight the Legion, would be weird if the Lich King let the Legion rule

Definitely notice the difference in the economy between servers. There's low level crafting materials--200 Stack of Linen/Wool/Silk/etc. Cloth--I could count on moving on the AH on my old server fairly quickly for a reasonable price that just go nowhere on my new one. Judging by the differences in bag prices on the AH, there seems to be fewer tailors overall. I've just started sitting on certain mats in my reagent tab for alts.

Edwardo

I don't know how the economy is, but is buying WoW Tokens fairly expensive? It would be nice to not spend cash on subscribing.

cdyhybrid

I don't know how the economy is, but is buying WoW Tokens fairly expensive? It would be nice to not spend cash on subscribing.

What region? They're ~38k in the US, which you can easily make in a month with a few 100s that have garrisons set up for gold gain.

Lomax

Ok cool. If I sub for a month, I can still play even though I don't have the latest expansion, right? I completely forget lol. I might just do that to see if i'm still feelin it.

Ya I figured there would be a lot of stuff. Thanks.

If you haven't subbed in a long time just go into your battle.net account and you'll almost certainly be able to add a week of free time to try things out.

ZenaxPure

Instances: Lots of changes here over the years. SFK, Deadmines, ZA, ZG, Scholo, SM, UBRS all got changed slightly and updated for max level in the various expansions, none of their original forms still exist. The changes range though, ZA for example simply went from a raid to a dungeon but the bosses and mechanics are all the same while ZG was a bigger redesign with new bosses and none of the same mechanics (and is much smaller in scope with some areas being cut off). This is also not including other dungeons which were changed at one point or another in some way, examples: BFD was updated this expansion with new bosses and a storyline that isn't stuck in vanilla WoW anymore. In Sunken Temple they removed the entire dungeon except for the Eranikus area of the dungeon (so basically a circular room and like 4 hallways leading to other rooms).

Mounts: Only mounts I can think of off the top of my head that were completely removed are the ZA bear you mention (when ZA was turned into a dungeon it was replaced with a reskinned version that had more brightly colored armor), a wolf that came from clearing the final raid of Mists on normal/heroic before Warlords came out, and similarly a moose mount that comes from clearing the current final raid tier before the Legion pre-patch comes out (so this one is still in the game for now).

That said there are some other mounts like the ZG mounts and a Corehound mount from the 10 year WoW anniversary event that can no longer be obtained from their original methods and can only be obtained from the Black Market Auction House which is a NPC driven AH added in Mists where old rare items will appear for players to bid on.

Reputation: Don't think any were removed per se, but there are some reps you can't really gain anymore like the Dire Maul rep and the ZG rep. Also fairly related in Mists of Pandaria they had an expansion-length legendary quest chain that rewarded a bunch of different stuff including a legendary cape at the end. That was removed for Warlords and thus all the rewards/quests associated with it are gone. There is a similar (though dramatically toned down) version of that in Warlords for a legendary ring that will be removed for Legion.

Some other stuff as well, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting but I think that is the gist of it.

JSoup

Banned
Nothing puts me off leveling more than quests glitching on me. :/

Reputation: Don't think any were removed per se, but there are some reps you can't really gain anymore like the Dire Maul rep and the ZG rep. Also fairly related in Mists of Pandaria they had an expansion-length legendary quest chain that rewarded a bunch of different stuff including a legendary cape at the end. That was removed for Warlords and thus all the rewards/quests associated with it are gone. There is a similar (though dramatically toned down) version of that in Warlords for a legendary ring that will be removed for Legion.

Both centaur reps have been removed as well.

Nothing puts me off leveling more than quests glitching on me. :/

What zone/quest?

Last seriously screwed up quest I encountered was as a Forsaken in Hillsbrad Foothills. There was a series of events that wouldn't trigger. An NPC would get killed too quickly for you to loot it and then a mount wouldn't appear, it would take so many abandons as well as logging in and out to get the sequence to properly trigger and it was a breadcrumb quest to the next questing hub too.

Played through nearly 1800 quests in the vanilla zones and HFP on this loremaster run, been lucky to not encounter any progression blockers like that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do wonder how alts will figure into gold making in Legion. Surely they learned from their mistakes, but I specifically have all my alts on Zul'jin to funnel gold simply via Garrisons. Obviously there's always trade skill cooldowns and the like to play with and make gold with, but that never amounted to the quickness and sheer ease of just having a bunch of alts on one server passively generating gold.

I'm wanting to join a guild that has the "Working Better as a Team" achievement so I can buy heirlooms. How common is it for a guild to have that achievement? How should I go about looking for a guild that has it and would accept me?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I actually kinda like that the Lich King seems to have retained his arrogant, wrathful personality even with Bolvar in control. Presumably the Ebon Blade is now following him willingly.

I think it's more that they are keeping a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't go full Lich King, not working for him.

JSoup

Banned
What zone/quest?

Part of the Talador opening quests. Draka says 'get this stuff' and some of the stuff glitches. Game is acting like I already got it, won't let me touch the item again and the NPCs won't offer the next quest. Without getting the mech, I can't continue the quest line to assault the forces wrecking stuff up.

Bowlie

Banned
1) yes, everything up to MoP comes with the base game
2) maybe, most have just gone to really rare drops
3) no, there is no gaf server

Cool that they changed some dungeons (I just hope that they were good after the changes). From what you said, I guess I didn't lose much; I remember that that Dire Maul rep was necessary to an achievement that'd give you some cool title. But at this point I don't even know how titles or achievements work, haha

Thanks for the answers, guys.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I knew it was coming, but I still think it's dumb. Eventually the Red Lich King will be a bad guy, and we'll have a Northrend rehash.

Shahadan

Why? Is he supposed to do nothing forever, especially when the legion is around?
If anything he should be fighting them personally.

No major character, especially such a powerful one, should remain idly somewhere else while the legion is invading.

Part of the Talador opening quests. Draka says 'get this stuff' and some of the stuff glitches. Game is acting like I already got it, won't let me touch the item again and the NPCs won't offer the next quest. Without getting the mech, I can't continue the quest line to assault the forces wrecking stuff up.

That is the exact same quest that glitched out on my friend when we were playing through that instance together. He couldn't do anything to complete it.

ZenaxPure

Why? Is he supposed to do nothing forever, especially when the legion is around?

No major character, especially such a powerful one, should remain idly somewhere else while the legion is invading.

Clearly once a character isn't directly part of what is going on in a specific expansion they should just vanish off the face of earth never to return. Because that clearly makes logical sense.

JSoup

Banned

Five minutes of Med'an being on the field and you'll be singing a different tune.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Clearly once a character isn't directly part of what is going on in a specific expansion they should just vanish off the face of earth never to return. Because that clearly makes logical sense.

Are you guys kidding or something? This isn't the stupid part, this is 5 years after the stupid part. It was dumb when we kill Arthas and we get this dumb hamfisted out of no where thing that "there must always be a lich king".

We stopped it, it's done. The second Bolvar puts on the helmet I knew years down the line he was eventually going to turn evil and we'd have to fight the lich king, again.

It's terrible storytelling.

Shahadan

Damn, you must have some good inside sources! What are the new races in that expansion?

Well, he's right on that point, it's kinda obvious.

I don't dislike the idea of a powerful foe returning in a different form however. Still better than Nefarian.

Also, the fact that a single entity is needed to prevent undead to annihilate everything isn't the dumb part imo. If all undead suddenly had free will and each started to do their own thing and raise corpses, things could get ugly real fast.

The dumb part is, while there is this new Jailer of the Dead, why aren't we eradicating undead across the world.

ZenaxPure

The dumb part is, while there is this new Jailer of the Dead, why aren't we eradicating undead across the world.

Who knows, the end of wrath is one of the dumbest things in the game story-wise and they've never bothered to explain anything about it. The only way I'd accept the Lich King coming back into the story in a major way would be if they cleaned up that nonsense somehow.

If I leave could leave the Horde or Alliance, join the Argent Crusade and just burn everything between Eversong Woods and the Arathi Highlands to the ground, I would.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Well, he's right on that point, it's kinda obvious.

I don't dislike the idea of a powerful foe returning in a different form however. Still better than Nefarian.

Also, the fact that a single entity is needed to prevent undead to annihilate everything isn't the dumb part imo. If all undead suddenly had free will and each started to do their own thing and raise corpses, things could get ugly real fast.

But at that precise moment, Arthas' plan was to raise us as the ultimate scourge champions. At that point, we had taken out everything undead that was a major threat. What was really left that wouldn't be considered mop up at that point?

Bolvar King unfrozen and apparently directing the Ebon Blade around while also sounding really evil and menacing is the beginning of the 'return of the lich king' expansion soonish. I've been dreading this for a long time now.

Tenebrous

If I leave could leave the Horde or Alliance, join the Argent Crusade and just burn everything between Eversong Woods and the Arathi Highlands to the ground, I would.

I'd join the Earthen Ring in a heartbeat. It's a shame we're way past the point of being able to break up the binary system.

Shahadan

But at that precise moment, Arthas' plan was to raise us as the ultimate scourge champions. At that point, we had taken out everything undead that was a major threat. What was really left that wouldn't be considered mop up at that point?

Well we spend most of our time cleaning the world of small threats about to do something big or summoning something stronger than them so...
I'm not saying it would be an unstoppable threat killing us all, but we even have real world examples of small cells fucking shit up.
There a a lot of powerful corpses to raise across the world. Undead were mostly contained within Northrend after all.

Not to mention that, and that would probably be the most important thing, if no one is in control, some characters would be more than happy to step in and use them to do some damage.

I'm still curious how they will use bolvar in the future, they can't do Arthas 2.0 so...I just hope it's not something shitty like nerzhul taking control or some shit. Although undead could be useful against Titans once we have to kill them.
I'm not sure if there is enough to do a whole expansion with him as the final boss anyway. Unless he melts all of Northrend, lol. And fire enemies are dull, no more of that please.

cdyhybrid

I'm guessing it might have been because of the batshit crazy black dragon backed by Old Gods trying to end the world.

Or the Hitler-esque leader of the Horde trying to end the world.

Or the alternate dimension orcs trying to end the world.

Or the Burning Legion trying to end the world.

Or the Burning Legion trying to end the world for real.

Shahadan

I'm guessing it might have been because of the batshit crazy black dragon backed by Old Gods trying to end the world.

I'm guessing that would be the official stance when presented with this problem :p
Not really convincing but yeah

ZenaxPure

To be fair, Führer Orc wanted to rule the world, not destroy it.

Although undead could be useful against Titans once we have to kill them.

Pretty much. Having us fight the Lich King again would make about as much sense as going to an alternate dimension to fight a bunch of dead guys. Only real way they could work him back into the main story is if he was on our side.

Which to be honest that could actually lead to some fun stuff. I doubt the horde or alliance would be very interested in having the Scourge try and become allies with them.

cdyhybrid

I'm guessing that would be the official stance when presented with this problem :p
Not really convincing but yeah

I'm just saying there are a lot more gaping holes in their storytelling than how they've handled Bolvar since he became the Lich King :p

Like, you know, the whole time-travelling alternate universe thing that basically gave us an entire expansion that meant nothing.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Well we spend most of our time cleaning the world of small threats about to do something big or summoning something stronger than them so...
I'm not saying it would be an unstoppable threat killing us all, but we even have real world examples of small cells fucking shit up.
There a a lot of powerful corpses to raise across the world. Undead were mostly contained within Northrend after all.

Not to mention that, and that would probably be the most important thing, if no one is in control, some characters would be more than happy to step in and use them to do some damage.

I'm still curious how they will use bolvar in the future, they can't do Arthas 2.0 so...I just hope it's not something shitty like nerzhul taking control or some shit. Although undead could be useful against Titans once we have to kill them.
I'm not sure if there is enough to do a whole expansion with him as the final boss anyway. Unless he melts all of Northrend, lol. And fire enemies are dull, no more of that please.

Nerzhul was purged from the helmet sometime in between TFT and WotLK. Arthas did something metaphorical with his humanity and 'destroyed' it? and the only thing left was "the Lich King"...but then when we defeat them Arthas is human again for a second.

But now Bolvar is all evil and sadistic in Legion, which doesn't make any sense. The Helmet shouldve just been a scourge steering wheel at that point.

But then again nothing has made a lot of sense since cata so whatever.

Shahadan

Nerzhul was purged from the helmet sometime in between TFT and WotLK. Arthas did something metaphorical with his humanity and 'destroyed' it? and the only thing left was "the Lich King"...but then when we defeat them Arthas is human again for a second.

Yeah that's why I said it would be shitty to retcon that. Although it wouldn't be unheard of, and as you said Arthas was kinda in this situation.
It's typical stuff in this kind of storyline.

I thought that that point was handled pretty well, with the whole matthias lerner stuff, the heart, Jaina being sure something was left, Tirion (iirc) trying to see if arthas was still inside and arthas teasing him with the redemption stuff...It was really interesting and something we never had again, and certainily not at such length. Deathwing had nothing at all.
When he dies he's not human again really, he's just not a lich king without the helmet. Just undead Arthas, still probably "evil". I appreciated that they didn't give him too much to say that could be interpreted as the helmet controlling him or some redemption shit. Just Arthas finally dying.

CassSept

Nearly 10 years passed since Bolvar took over the Scourge, you'd figure they'd able to do something about it in this universe.

Bolvar King unfrozen and apparently directing the Ebon Blade around while also sounding really evil and menacing is the beginning of the 'return of the lich king' expansion soonish. I've been dreading this for a long time now.

Avatar bet that there is no "return of the lich king" WoW expac.

Nearly 10 years passed since Bolvar took over the Scourge, you'd figure they'd able to do something about it in this universe.

Vanilla WoW launched around this time 11 years ago.

M.D

What's the ilvl required for the latest raid? I'm currently 687, my gear is all from heroic BRF
I wonder how good is the gear from mythic dungeons? maybe I could replace some of my gear with mythic dungeon gear..

CassSept

Vanilla WoW launched around this time 11 years ago.

I meant in-universe, during first years WoW story moved at about an in-game year per expac but there seems to be some timeskip after WoD since Blizz talked about Legion being set 'about 10 years after TBC', which would mean it's been around 9 years since Bolvar became Lich King.

With how quick things move in the Warcraft universe it's baffling that nobody did like, anything at all to sort out the scourge.

ZenaxPure

What's the ilvl required for the latest raid? I'm currently 687, my gear is all from heroic BRF
I wonder how good is the gear from mythic dungeons? maybe I could replace some of my gear with mythic dungeon gear..

Mythic dungeon gear scales from 685 to 725 in intervals of 5 as of this patch. Probably shouldn't be hard to replace some of your stuff if you're only 687.

Top Bottom