• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Tenebrous

I like the Whirlwind animation.

I'm funding lowbie 10-19 honor kill farmers on Bladefist/Zenedar/Frostwhisper (Horde EU). Here's how it works...

You make a char on my realm with all your BoA items. Either a feral, MM hunter, disc priest, really. Rogues can work, but Ferals are just better. When you get to level 10, I'll buy items for non-BoA slot items, throw the best chants on it, and ta-da. You'll have to enchant your own BoA shoulders & legs, obviously.

(If you have a high level hunter, it's 100% vital you make/equip a Flintlocke's Woodchucker).

After that, just BG farm until level 20, make new toon, and start again. My level 19 hunter has 5.2k HKs now.

Shahadan

Casting animations with weapons, I'll believe it when I see it. Casting animations are very much a big visual aspect of your character. Some people pick their race or gender because of them.
So unless they replace those completely (which seems highly unlikely) I don't believe it. Maybe if they add a on/off button for wepaon casting, but then why even bother.

I wouldn't mind though, I hate my night elf casting animation.

StMeph

No professions yet. Max flight except for draenor. And warrior.

1. Trading on the AH will always be the most lucrative option.
2. Farm Cata raids, ideally as 25-man Heroics, but on whatever level you can manage.
3. Get your garrison in shape.
4. Use your tradeskills.

That's probably where I'd rate the general efficacy of income-generating activities on a weekly basis.

ampere

I'm fairly new to wow. I just got to lvl100 (i608). Any good spot for earning some good gold? I feel pretty poor.

1. Trading on the AH will always be the most lucrative option.
2. Farm Cata raids, ideally as 25-man Heroics, but on whatever level you can manage.
3. Get your garrison in shape.
4. Use your tradeskills.

That's probably where I'd rate the general efficacy of income-generating activities on a weekly basis.

I'd def say the farm Cata raids option is a good one to start, especially if you are new to the game. Could be some neat transmog or mount drops for you to get, and the fights are interesting to see for the first time even at a higher level.

Daniel R

No professions yet. Max flight except for draenor. And warrior.

Edit: And I have around 9000 gold.

Definitely work on the flying achievement first of all.

Once you have flying you can easily do the 4 rares in Tanaan every day with a chance for Medallion of the Legion that sells on my AH for 3,5 - 4 k each. Use the groupfinder together with an addon that automatically tells you when there is a group for that boss (keywords: death, doom, veng, terr). I think it's the "rarity" addon that tells me when they're up. Premade group finder addon would also work.

Doing those rares also net you 400 oil per day which is enough to keep the shipyard going.

You can easily find better gear on the ground in Tanaan if you install an addon that show the location of treasure spawns. The same addon will show you all the extra garrison resource locations so you can more quickly get your garrison fully built.
Handynotes treasure I think it's called.

Do Kazzak every week and sell the Felblight if you need more gold. Be sure to have an extra bonus roll token. Buy it in Stormshield for apexis crystals.

lazygecko

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16883988517

I'm feeling relieved that I'm not the only one sick to death of this pandering power fantasy storytelling. It's just contrived as hell for a MMO setting and creatively bankrupt if they somehow feel that they can't tell a compeling story without making the player the center of the universe. It got especially bad with WoD, and Legion making you the leader of your class seems to be passing a threshold for how much people are willing to suspend their disbelief.

iirate

I'm feeling relieved that I'm not the only one sick to death of this pandering power fantasy storytelling. It's just contrived as hell for a MMO setting and creatively bankrupt if they somehow feel that they can't tell a compeling story without making the player the center of the universe. It got especially bad with WoD, and Legion making you the leader of your class seems to be passing a threshold for how much people are willing to suspend their disbelief.

I don't like it one bit, but I'm afraid we're out-numbered here. I do have a distinct identity for each of my characters, and none of them are leading the horde/alliance/their class against anything. I've just gotten used to ignoring what's outside of my own canon.

Zelias

Banned

Yeah, I'm not really on board with this either. My characters have always just been adventurers - leave leading to the actual lore characters.

Tenebrous

Yeah, seeing the Ashbringer quest chain just... What? Why would you do that?

It's disappointing for sure.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
But spellcasters have a lot of updated casting/spell animations as well...that they still shoot out of their hands.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it feels like the "it's still only alpha!" excuse is irrelevant, since they already updated the effects and animations for it...if they were gonna do casting through weapons it would either be incomplete or in already.

Just thought it would kind of make sense to cast drain life through the soul harvesting scythe, guess not.

Watching that paladin video posted earlier when Judgement is cast the character raises their weapon above their head. Maybe its just not in for all models?

StMeph

Yeah, I'm not really on board with this either. My characters have always just been adventurers - leave leading to the actual lore characters.

I agree that it makes for bland storytelling, and breaks immersion to always be the center of the universe in an MMO where everyone else is also the messiah, but it's not quite that simple.

Part of it has to do with the player's in-game accomplishments -- in raids, mostly -- with significant lore impact aggregated over the years. It's easier to write off earlier in the game's life, but as your achievements mount over the course of several expansions, it would also be strange to continue being a totally anonymous adventurer that also consistently also somehow defeated every antagonist thus far in the WarCraft universe.

It's not that easy to acknowledge your victories without turning you into a demigod, and Blizzard's never been subtle, especially in storytelling.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I agree that it makes for bland storytelling, and breaks immersion to always be the center of the universe in an MMO where everyone else is also the messiah, but it's not quite that simple.

Part of it has to do with the player's in-game accomplishments -- in raids, mostly -- with significant lore impact aggregated over the years. It's easier to write off earlier in the game's life, but as your achievements mount over the course of several expansions, it would also be strange to continue being a totally anonymous adventurer that also consistently also somehow defeated every antagonist thus far in the WarCraft universe.

It's not that easy to acknowledge your victories without turning you into a demigod, and Blizzard's never been subtle, especially in storytelling.

i remember people during TBC were saying that it was unrealistic that those that defeated Ragnaros, C'thun, and Kel'thuzad were treated like just another grunt. WotLK remedied this by having NPCs recognize who you were and, as you've written, its just built up from there over the years.

Tarazet

It would be cool if the NPC's responded differently depending on which raid encounters you had completed, especially ones which affected their part of Azeroth/Pandaria/whatever. That's something that Japanese RPG's have done right for decades.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I mean, the player characters have (arguably, I guess) achieved more notable, world-saving feats than the majority of the racial leaders and folks like Tirion have. The game lore basically assumes you've been a major participant for every major event in the history of WoW, from defeating Ragnaros right through saving AU Draenor from Archimonde, and every quest and dungeon in between. We are the boss motherfuckers of Azeroth that have stood against demons, undead, old gods, insane dragons, and whatever else the game as thrown at us. It makes sense that, after the big-name characters have their calamitous failure at the Broken Shore, that we would be the people folks turn to to start setting shit right.

Lumine

I don't like it either.

In a game like Skyrim I hated how only a few hours in I was suddenly turned from some unknown nameless dude exploring the world to this super legendary warrior who is only born once every thousand years and is the only who can kill dragons and thus the only one who can save the world. Like, what? Why are you throwing this in my face? And so soon into the game? It's supposed to be an RPG, I'm ok starting out as a nobody. It makes the world feel so small suddenly. On top of that nothing in the world reacted to this revelation. Guards still treated me as scum even though their mighty leader just called me their savior and gave me a title with it. Really ruined the immersion for me.

Anyway, my point is, it's even worse in a MMO. I know the game just told all these other players around me the same damn thing. We can't all be the number one leader! Nor can you tell me that I'm the only one wearing this super legendary weapon when I see it on so many other players too. You're really pushing the suspension of disbelief here and I don't see why you even have to. You don't have to make me the center of your world and story. In fact it fits the game much better if you don't.

Sorry for the rant, just saying I agree I suppose. Perhaps it has to do with Blizzard slowly turning this game into a completely instanced experience and less of an actual MMO.

Edit: I agree that it might not be easy to fix this so far into it. I'm sure there's a middle-ground to be found though. The game can recognize you for taking part in defeating some of the biggest enemies without having to constantly tell you that you are the hero of the game. Especially when you know you're just another player in the world.

Perhaps I'm just hoping for a little subtlety, but after LotV it's clear that's completely gone at Blizzard. :p

Said I wasn't going to resub until legion...

Find myself sitting in my garrison this morning before work...

Luckily I was able to just get a month with gold, so at least I'm not out any money.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We killed Deathwing, Ragnaros, Lich King, Illidan, Cho'Gall, Kil'Jaeden, etc

I don't know why you'd think we'd be anyone else BUT the one

Shahadan

No we should totally still be a random no name hobo, although we can wield the power of superman and the most powerful weapons and armor in two worlds and we save the universe on a yearly basis.

No your majesty, I'm just a simple villager! I don't want your fancy status and responsibilities! You should fight my battles in my stead! Well unless you're another random no name hobo following me in my garrison, in that case I don't like the competition and I will whine you're doing stuff instead of me.

Tenebrous

We killed Deathwing, Ragnaros, Lich King, Illidan, Cho'Gall, Kil'Jaeden, etc

I don't know why you'd think we'd be anyone else BUT the one

Because when everyone is the one, then no-one is the one, and being called the one is stupid.

There will be over half a million Paladin Highlord's... That's fucking stupid.

Shahadan

Because when everyone is the one, then no-one is the one, and being called the one is stupid.

Who the fuck cares, honestly, what other players are or aren't. You're playing your character not theirs.
What's fucking stupid is getting anal over details like this. Other players don't exist in quest lines or story or anywhere execpt on your screen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

There's already half a million wielders of the Warglaives of the Illidari, you can kill Garrosh using gorehowl from three expansions ago. What's the difference?

ZenaxPure

For some reason despite explicitly killing Ragnaros the Firelord, in the Firelands (where he can actually be legit killed!) every tuesday morning he comes back to life and I have to kill him again?!?!?!?

Blizz plz, muh immersion.

What a fucking stupid argument.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, seems like this complaint comes up every expansion. Immersion sacrifices have to be made for the sake of gameplay. If you don't like it, there are single-player RPGs that will scratch that itch.

Tenebrous

The thing is, the other things are just unavoidable side-affects of MMO games. Outright making you the Neo of the world is avoidable, yet they seem to be going all in on it. I'll never change my mind on it, and honestly, it just seems a lil desperate to me.

There's already half a million wielders of the Warglaives of the Illidari, you can kill Garrosh using gorehowl from three expansions ago. What's the difference?

At least Gorehowl is explained by z0mg alt universe!

Anyway, after WotLK, lore just... I lost interest. As long as Legion is somewhat fun to play, that's all that matters. WoW is shit for telling a story compared to WC3.

ampere

Like people have said, Blizzard is a gameplay first company. You're going to get weird story stuff to make the gameplay work.

I still think the overall universe is awesome, even if individual story elements can be very cheesy.

I would rather NPC's acknowledge the player character for their accomplishments rather than just treating you as a nameless grunt. That's why I like Goblins as much as I do. Blizzard populated Azeroth with characters from Kezan and the Lost Isle. To any other Horde player in questing in zones like Azshara, the Cape of Stranglethorn, or Tanaris, these goblins are just random quest givers but to a goblin player they're familiar faces. Even generic goblin NPC's in Azshara acknowledge your former status on Kezan, being one step removed from being the Trade Prince of the Bilgewater Cartel, before Gallywix decided to stab you in the back.

I wish every other race had a similar set of starting zone characters that were populated throughout the world. And that they persisted throughout the expansions. Random NPCs and quest givers to other races in your faction but a little narrative touchstone for you. It would be awesome to see Slinky Sharpshiv out in the world still.

Robin64

I do like being recognised, but up to a point. It's enough to be one of many champions who helped defeat Garrosh, for example. I don't need to be Highlord of the Paladin Order or whatever.

Feeling nostalgic? Listen to The Lament of Captain Placeholder or Big Blue Dress

Can't wait for Legion's pre-expansion event, hate that this shit is nearly a year away. I just want to wash WoD away from my memories

CVZ9_XsU4AE57NN.jpg:large

StMeph

I just want to wash WoD away from my memories

For everything WoD did wrong, it did also shower me with ridiculous sums of gold that allowed me to play the game without paying a sub and buy a bunch of vanity items like TCG mounts and T3 pieces from BMAH. WoD has been pretty good to me, even if I didn't like the content(s).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wonder if they could've turned WoD around with another patch. Add Farahlon and another raid or two.

i think after the verdict on garrisons came through on their end, they just wanted to waste as little time and resources on this expansion and get to the next one.

they needed to spend less time on Tanaan (raid zone only, maybe the random objective stuff as well), and make Farahlon the cool quest hub that sent you into Tanaan for some variety.

i think it was bad planning that they dedicated a whole unique zone to the leveling experience (though it was cool) and wasted time remaking the same zone they had already made. they didn't learn much from Cataclysm, it seems -- it was the same mistake except on a smaller scale

Eklipsis

Does everyone have the garn nightowl mount? I want to get it but can't seem to find a group even in the custom group finder. Also I will ding 100 on my Hunter tonight wohoo!(first lvl100)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I don't have it.

*Checks AH*

I have it now.

and to think i camped that thing for like 8+ hours with a raid group. people ninja-ing out the ass every other drop. what a waste of time.

it was probably the only "special" experience i had from WoD though.

Top Bottom