• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Tenebrous

[18:03:54] You receive loot: [Life-Binder's Handmaiden].

Finally. Well over 100 Deathwing/Ultraxion kills to get my first Dragon Soul mount... Just 2 left, and 11 left for 250.

Just having the garrison up will have it passively generate resources through the garrison cache, so even if you return to your Loremaster run it's not a bad idea.

Yeah, then I would have two toons with garrisons. Plus it makes sense to make use of them before 7.0 drops and they whatever they're going to do to garrisons. The quests for Loremaster will always be there, the gold gain in garrisons might not be.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
awww fuck yeah. just got minion of grumps!

Cp62j1q.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It is kind of amazing to me that people still can't do LFR Blast Furnace right
There's not much incentive to learn the fights in LFR when players normally just get carried through.

I was kind of shocked by how bad some of the people in my Mythic dungeons were today. People between like ilevel 700-710 could be as low as 15-20k on fights, and the number of players that couldn't cope with very basic mechanics was kind of astounding. Even people with Heroic HFC gear well above ilevel 720 were dying to basic mechanics and putting out really abysmal numbers. I don't know if it's an alt thing where people aren't trained for their classes or something, but at a certain point it's kind of silly.

Single target fight, Mythic Nhalish in SMBG. Three Fury Warriors on DPS. I'm not very serious about the game or gearing myself out. I don't consider myself to be a very good player, but just...what is some of this?
LjDxUcp.jpg

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Sodacop/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Hhelspawnn/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Wardaddy/simple

It was like this the whole way through pretty much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So if you killed Lei Shen you could still go back and kill him to get his heart in MoP on any difficulty.

You can't do that with Blackhand. Blizzard is nothing if inconsistent

phierce

Nothing amazes me about how bad people are in LFR. I stay away from it as much as I can.
It is kind of amazing to me that people still can't do LFR Blast Furnace right
Have you guys ran HFC LFR? It blows my mind why they even have it. It doesn't teach anything as far as mechanics go. You don't have to do shit. Just keep the tank alive, dps a little and loot. The gear is worse than Tanaan gear. It's fucking pointless.

I know it's popular and I'll get crucified for this , but do away with this bullshit. If people can't do or don't have the time to try normal raids, fuck off and stick to whatever else you do to make you happy. LFR is a waste of fucking space.

Edit: and yeah, blame this valor shit for over inflated ilvls and shit players. It really hurts quality.

TBH the only real reason I go into LFR as of Mists is as a catchup mechanic for legendary BS. More of a factor on alts though, as I'm dedicated enough that I would run through normal or whatever for my main regardless to get what I need whenever I happen to fall behind.

If they remove the ability to do your legendary crap in LFR it would probably be for the best, but make it even more of a shit show since there would be zero reason for anyone half-competent to go in there.

Though it looks like that might be the way they're heading in Legion with those world drop legendaries? LFR might be an extra source of artifact power or whatever, but probably skippable.

phierce

Right. Do away with LFR all together. If you want to raid, there's normal. That shit is easy as it is.

Edit: out of 4 rings, I just did LFR two weeks ago for the first time. Thus my rant about how pure shit it is. I did a full clear on N this week.

Granadier

Just ignore the LFR if you dislike it so much?

It's seriously a godsend for people that don't play hardcore or don't play regularly enough to be part of a raiding group. Giving the ability to at least see the raids and see the content.

phierce

Just ignore the LFR if you dislike it so much?

It's seriously a godsend for people that don't play hardcore or don't play regularly enough to be part of a raiding group. Giving the ability to at least see the raids and see the content.
I have ignored it and will continue to do so. I just don't understand its existence. That's all.

I won't even bother arguing my opinion. Enjoy it...you're just not getting the full content.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have ignored it and will continue to do so. I just don't understand its existence. That's all.

I won't even bother arguing my option. Enjoy it...you're just not getting the full content.

Blizzard already said something similar, but it mainly exist so that casuals can see the raids, ie : people who can't understand something more complicated than "dont stand in fire" & "kill adds"(and even then...), or people who just can't bother optimizing their class, be it glyphs, talents or spells rotation.

And considering a huge part of their playerbase are just that (casuals who won't bother learning), I don't see this changing.

Tamanon

Banned
Blizzard already said something similar, but it mainly exist so that casuals can see the raids, ie : people who can't understand something more complicated than "dont stand in fire" & "kill adds"(and even then...), or people who just can't bother optimizing their class, be it glyphs, talents or spells rotation.

And considering a huge part of their playerbase are just that (casuals who won't bother learning), I don't see this changing.

Don't forget the third type of person who just doesn't have the time to dedicate to raiding.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't forget the third type of person who just doesn't have the time to dedicate to raiding.

Well yeah, but LFR just isn't fun to people like this third type(people like me). It's just so boringly easy, not to mention having to deal with shitty players.

If I'd like to do real raiding without the annoyances of a raiding guild and all the constraints they got, i'd just look a group looking for DPS for normal raids.

I don't know if that's really an excuse at this point. It's never been easier to find raids at times that work for you between the group finder and OpenRaid. A decent run will be faster than a full queue + run through LFR.

And even if you keep the oddest hours, there are guilds that raid at literally any time you could ever want, some even on one or two day schedules, you just have to look for them.

LFR is just sort of there - a blah experience for everyone involved. The removal of any kind of mechanics as of Warlords ensured that. If they really want a tourist mode, maybe they could just make all future instances have quests like the Stormstout Brewery one with Chen, or have a physical presence in the world like Temple of the Jade Serpent. For two quick examples.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mist LFR wasn't bad. It had a few mechanics to follow, but wasn't too hard. The gear wasn't great, but wasn't bad if you weren't someone who wasn't going to do any serious endgame stuff. Plus it didn't all look like shit so you could use it for transmog. I ran Mist LFR regularly.

WOD LFR is terrible. I ran it to complete my ring and never did it again. I don't think anyone would do it if it wasn't for the legendary quest.

The level scaling is so weird. I leveled this Shaman through Kalimdor, all of the Burning Crusade, most of Wrath of the Lich King and was 86 before I decided to just get to 90 through the dungeon queue. I kind of hope that they change the level requirements for the first four expansions so you can choose which two to play through before you get to WoD. The Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King--which someone in this thread mentioned was being discussed at some point already--and then Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria. It would be nice to be able to play through an expansion and not be horrendously outleveled before it's over.

Played through a bunch of MoP dungeons for the first time this afternoon, they were all pretty fun and I walked away with some pretty great looking gear. First time I've had a helmet that had holes for my toons ears to fit through and they didn't just clip through the sides.

dimb

Legion's take on leveling seems like a solution for WoW's current leveling speed issues. An open format where zones operate completely independently that players can move between at their own discretion. Unfortunately this is not something that can really be implemented back into the rest of the game, where story beats between zones can be fairly linear. At this point almost everything is independent enough for universal level scaling to be possible across the game though. This would have to fundamentally change how gear works though, removing hard stats for numbers scaled to player level.

Granadier

Exactly. My point above was that before you lumped everyone in LFR into the "casuals that can't play" category, but forgot about the players that don't have the time to invest into a raiding guild or a raiding group to go on the normal, heroic, and mythic versions.

I love raiding. It's one of the best experiences in gaming ever. But I'm long past the days when I could dedicate a day of the week to raiding without it negatively impacting my life. And not many groups are interested in a "shows up sometimes" player.

LFR means I can log in, press a button, wait for a Q to pop, and then snooze my way through a raid without negatively affecting a group that has prepared a run themselves.

biaxident

I remember doing LFR in early mists and just wiping endlessly. Now you never wipe but dont even have to look at the screen, but since 90% of the player base are casual they're not going to remove it.

On another note, any idea how much target dummy dps I should be doing around ilvl 690? I have a sub rogue and a bm hunter at that level (just baleful/a few pvp pieces spread around). I just feel like it should be higher than what i'm doing. Granted I don't have add ons to keep track of everything. I don't have time to raid so haven't really pushed myself dps wise.

Also have only done the grumpus quests 3 times, got a 300% potion and will probably save it, used it on my dk went from 94 to 99 in 15 mins, was great. Double edit, next alt gave medallion of the legion, epic. Wow then a minion of grumpus on my rogue!

Blackage

LFR Archimonde is still a wipe fest if you don't have people killing adds. Especially in phase 3, it is in your best interest to get in every banish and kill the star(and hope it doesn't target you).

LFR Archimonde is still a wipe fest if you don't have people killing adds. Especially in phase 3, it is in your best interest to get in every banish and kill the star(and hope it doesn't target you).

The star barely gives you a nudge in LFR. It's a joke.

Funny thing about Archy LFR. Was in it once like the week valor came out and had to step by step almost literally type out the dungeon journal because people couldn't be assed to read it beforehand and they hadn't been there before. Yes, LFR is a haven for illiterate people. That's how bad it is. Something like over half died to fire in P1 regardless.

phierce

Well yeah, but LFR just isn't fun to people like this third type(people like me). It's just so boringly easy, not to mention having to deal with shitty players.
Thank you for making my point from a hands on experience. I'm a raider so my words don't matter, but when you say this, it's music to my ears.

LFR IS PURE SHIT.

Here we go again...

Not complaining, I really enjoyed the questing experience in WoD. I know some people may not like how cinematic or scripted the questing/leveling experience is in WoD, but it's one of my favourite experiences in the game thus far. Even if the overall story is kinda slapdash.

Zelias

Banned
Over the course of this expansion I've come to hate LFR and I'm not even a dedicated raider. I'm not sure removing it is the best course of action - think the genie is out of the bottle on that one - but it should sure as hell be deincentivised: make better, or at least equivalent gear obtainable elsewhere (as is the case with Tanaan right now), remove legendary stuff from it, remove Valor from it. It should be tourist mode to see the content and nothing else.

I'd also like to see them do stuff like with 3.3 and 4.3, adding in 5-man dungeons related to the raid. Honestly, the 4.3 dungeons were better than Dragon Soul anyway (though I'm still salty WotA raid got cut into a dungeon just so we could have Asset Rehash: The Raid).

All of this LFR talk frightens me since pugging is likely the only way I'll run WoD's raid content. I just imagine it will be like solo-queue All-Pick in Dota, basically one of Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, only almost all of the chocolates are racism, nerdrage and sadness.

Daniel R

I am definitely going fire (Mage) first in Legion.
Since Multistrike is going away, more items will have crit instead.
If I am lucky with gear drops (from shipyard caches) I will be running with 65% crit self-buffed and 10200 spellpower starting in the pre-patch.

With Fireball and Pyroblast having the critical mass modifier of 1.3 it means they have an ~85% crit chance.

Having so much crit will make the talent Controlled Burn OP (hopefully). Controlled burn makes you go straight to a Hot streak instead of Heating up.

Can you say Pyroblast! turret?

It is gonna be so much fun :).

Uh the star gibs anyone it catches in LFR still, unless it has been hotfixed in the past 2 weeks

https://youtu.be/cYSnbfnklVY?t=7m1s

Can watch the DK run out, nobody attacks star and he gets blasted off platform despite standing in the center, 3rd portrait in group 2.

Maybe I was seeing things, but last time I did it (not sure when) I could have sworn I saw the guy with the star get nudged like 2 feet. Potentially was someone with a class that can cheese it, but it seems unlikely to see that level of play in LFR.

Though I'm not exactly inclined to run a bunch of Archimonde LFR to confirm one way or another. And I can't anyway as I'm out of town this week.

Granadier

Not complaining, I really enjoyed the questing experience in WoD. I know some people may not like how cinematic or scripted the questing/leveling experience is in WoD, but it's one of my favourite experiences in the game thus far. Even if the overall story is kinda slapdash.

Agreed. The questing experience there is one of the most enjoyable I've had.

Lomax

I think the "problem" with lfr is there seems to be motivation for raiders to run it on alts. That's bad design. Did any of you pug from trade chat during Wrath? I remember hours of wiping in Naxx, well after ICC had been released. But obviously there was no reason for anyone but non-raiders to pug Naxx back then. So it seems like the best suggestion is just to ignore LFR, just like the best suggestion is always to ignore trade chat.

Tenebrous

I think the "problem" with lfr is there seems to be motivation for raiders to run it on alts. That's bad design. Did any of you pug from trade chat during Wrath? I remember hours of wiping in Naxx, well after ICC had been released. But obviously there was no reason for anyone but non-raiders to pug Naxx back then. So it seems like the best suggestion is just to ignore LFR, just like the best suggestion is always to ignore trade chat.

I don't remember that. Usually there were enough ICC players to boost players on alt toons, and even the alts had decent badge gear at that point.

Anyway, how fun is HFC to tank? Tempted to buy a 13/13HC run for loot and rejoin one of my old guilds who are looking to raid again.

Granadier

I don't remember that. Usually there were enough ICC players to boost players on alt toons, and even the alts had decent badge gear at that point.

Anyway, how fun is HFC to tank? Tempted to buy a 13/13HC run for loot and rejoin one of my old guilds who are looking to raid again.

If you have the money, that mount itself is worth it in my opinion.

Meier

Just bought Draenor and signed up for a month. I've only played a Hunter, Warlock and Warrior (ages ago). I have my thing which can let me boost to level 90.. between Druid or Shaman, which would someone recommend I try for a different option?

Tenebrous

Just bought Draenor and signed up for a month. I've only played a Hunter, Warlock and Warrior (ages ago). I have my thing which can let me boost to level 90.. between Druid or Shaman, which would someone recommend I try for a different option?

Either is a good choice. Both have caster DPS, melee DPS, and a healing spec, but druids can also tank...

If you don't wanna tank, then I'd say go with Shaman. I personally find Enhancement more enjoyable than any of the druid specs.

Well Druids are in a better spot than Shamans right now, though Resto Shaman is more desired than Resto Druid if you're into healing.

At least from a raiding perspective. Personally I would probably go Druid. Can always do a Shaman later if they turn out to be awesome in Legion.

Meier

I usually just come back and play a month or two.. raiding is probably not gonna happen at this point in my life. Definitely don't plan to be a primary healer or anything -- think I'll try and be a Druid I suppose. Should be pretty fun.

Which race would you guys suggest? I'm Horde. Blood Elf Hunter (90) and Orc Warlock (77) are my two characters.

Tenebrous

I usually just come back and play a month or two.. raiding is probably not gonna happen at this point in my life. Definitely don't plan to be a primary healer or anything -- think I'll try and be a Druid I suppose. Should be pretty fun.

Which race would you guys suggest? I'm Horde. Blood Elf Hunter (90) and Orc Warlock (77) are my two characters.

Troll. Berserking is a pretty good all-round racial, while War Stomp is pretty shite outside of BGs. Plus Troll's get much sexier looking cat/bear form (although I believe that's changing in Legion).

For those of you who have played a Warrior, which spec do you recommend for soloing old content as well as newer things like Tanaan? I was going to go with Arms but after doing some research it seems to be pretty bad, according to everything I've read on it. And Fury requires really good gear. That leaves Protection and I'd rather solo using a DPS spec.

Just curious about everyone's experience with the Warrior class. I'm leaning towards it or a frost Death Knight.

Tenebrous

For those of you who have played a Warrior, which spec do you recommend for soloing old content as well as newer things like Tanaan? I was going to go with Arms but after doing some research it seems to be pretty bad, according to everything I've read on it. And Fury requires really good gear. That leaves Protection and I'd rather solo using a DPS spec.

Just curious about everyone's experience with the Warrior class. I'm leaning towards it or a frost Death Knight.

I've mained Warrior for about 8 years now, and in PvP gear (with a 725 weap), I find Arms to be a very decent soloing spec. I've not tried any MoP content, though... Maybe I should.

dimb

The gear requirement for Fury is probably not as high as they're sometimes made out to be, particularly if your goal is just soloing content. I've personally never had any problem with any of the specs for solo content, so if Arms or Fury are even remotely appealing you should try them out. It's pretty easy to switch between the two. I would say that Fury has a higher ease of use though. Prot is really strong for solo content, and the DPS it pushes out is high with or without Gladiator spec. It's probably the easiest spec of the three for people new to the class. Second Wind makes certain pieces of old raid content particularly non-threatening across all specs.

Half-remembering where a bunch treasures are in Frostfire Ridge while leveling/exploring and they're actually useful at this point. "15 Garrison resources, I can use that."

I have a totally crap geared Fury Warrior, it's ilevel 610, mostly quest gear with some axes made from my forge and have no problem solo'ing any content. My only complaint is it feels a little rng dependent at times, there's dead spots of me just auto-attacking and fishing for rage or waiting for one of my abilities to proc but its dps has never felt inadequate. If your skillbar lights up like a Christmas tree, things die, really quickly.

Also with Mighty Leap you can get to so many places other classes can't. I would recommend buying Goblin Gliders just in case.

Top Bottom