• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I recently hit level 100 and 4 new dungeons opened up. Any suggestions on which I should play first? I did Upper Blackrock Spire on normal and it was very difficult. Are they all the same difficulty? Did I just get a bad group or not play well or both? My ilvl is 597, should I focus on getting that higher first?
Your item level is fine. Normal dungeons can pose a fairly high difficulty because they can be entirely filled by new players, while more experienced players can take advantage of their other characters to bypass the content and move straight to Heroics and beyond. You can use the dungeon journal (ctrl+j) or the map (and then click on the boss) to briefly brush up on boss mechanics that might be giving you trouble.

Tenebrous

You can get gear between 650-695 very easily in Tanaan Jungle if you follow the shipyard questline in your level 3 Garrison.

Don't even need the shipyard go go around farming rares - Just ask someone with a 2-seater to help you out.

You could also fish for good Ashran games. That's very easy gear, too.

phierce

Any suggestions on leveling lets while the pet bonus is in effect?
My suggestion would be to level pets instead of lets during the bonus event.

But...to answer you, there's a few super quick methods you could do. I'd just google it. Much easier than me explaining it, but basically, just group low levels with 1-2 level 25s that you know can win. Start the fight with the low level, do some action, swap out, win, get xp. Can do the battles around your garrison for quickness. Of course there are better spots, but it's all super quick/easy.

If you don't have a 25 you can easily win with, start there.

The lack of apparent community spirit & socialization. Being social isn't forced upon you anymore - You're now forced to look for it.

It sorta depends on the realm. I found what you're saying to be true of my experience on Kilrogg--medium population, Alliance biased, heavily cross-realmed with Winterhoof and Proudmoore--but not true of Dalaran. On Dalaran there's a crew of regulars I see at certain times every day in trade chat, the Bilgewater Honour Society is organising pvp raids on Allied cities almost every day (which I hope to join in on once this 97 shaman is 100), along with the usual mix of trolls, gold and carry sellers.

Are they still using Mooncloth bags? How is that even possible?

I have full D2, two sets of D3, T1-16 complete, full AQ20/AQ40/ZG gear, 20 or so unobtainables (Onyxia attunement stuff, Quel'serrar, etc), 50~ pieces of non-set gear (Timewalking/Xmog), shitloads of crafting mats in my bags, every teleporting item available (inc all the engineering ones)...

Even then I usually rock with 60 bag spaces free, 80~ in the bank, and a few in void storage.

I don't get it.

Yeah. Imagine the people who have had the same main since Vanilla! I have some guildies who have "2 or 3 bag slots open" lol

I would have been one of those people. I've got all hexweave bags on my toon and bank, the reagent tab and void storage that are all almost full already. I can see why people have level 1 bank alts they funnel bags and stuff to.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It sorta depends on the realm. I found what you're saying to be true of my experience on Kilrogg--medium population, Alliance biased, heavily cross-realmed with Winterhoof and Proudmoore--but not true of Dalaran. On Dalaran there's a crew of regulars I see at certain times every day in trade chat, the Bilgewater Honour Society is organising pvp raids on Allied cities almost every day (which I hope to join in on once this 97 shaman is 100), along with the usual mix of trolls, gold and carry sellers.

Was just about to say something similar. My experience on Dalaran (Alliance) has been far better than what I got on Emerald Dream. The other night I joined a fresh guild on my mage that was centered around Star Wars. So you could choose to be on the Jedi or Sith side and it would affect your rank progression through the guild. Also just hanging out in some of the cities or zones there's actually other players around having conversations.

I'm broke as fuck on this server, but I've been have a hell of a lot more fun than before.

The realm makes such a huge difference, my Space Goat Holy Pali was basically playing a solo rpg on Kilrogg, which is supposed to have an Alliance biased population and was cross-realmed with one of the largest Alliance servers. Meanwhile Dalaran, whose population is still Alliance biased, has this constant stream of chatter going on in the Horde hub cities and even though it's a PVE server the factions are constantly messing with each other on an almost daily basis. I used to hate world pvp when I started playing WoW, but even if it is griefing it's one of the rare moments that random players will not only start talking to one another but band together and help each other. I grin when the Crossroads is being attacked because I know it's retaliation for what was done to Goldshire, some lowbies flag to fight a 100, and eventually a giant rolling fight will happen once some high level Hordies show up.

Tenebrous

Maybe I need to transfer... It's just hard, y'know? As dead as this realm is, after rerolling here 9 years ago, I've never looked back. It's home!

I did try rerolling on Defias Brotherhood (EU-RPPvP server), and while Stormwind seemed quite alive, it didn't seem that much more happening & vibrant than my realm. Everyone recommends Argent Dawn, but I'll never be caught dead playing on a PvE server.

My suggestion would be to level pets instead of lets during the bonus event.

But...to answer you, there's a few super quick methods you could do. I'd just google it. Much easier than me explaining it, but basically, just group low levels with 1-2 level 25s that you know can win. Start the fight with the low level, do some action, swap out, win, get xp. Can do the battles around your garrison for quickness. Of course there are better spots, but it's all super quick/easy.

If you don't have a 25 you can easily win with, start there.

I'm starting to level now. I have a few 25s but I'm looking to maximize XP gains. The common theme seems to be to do the trainers in each area. I think that's where I will start because I want to get the safari hat.

Preciate it, sir.

ShinMaruku

The old Hilsbrad councilmen reminded me of Jesus therefore I called them "Jesus guys"
Any mobs in this game remind you of something else?

phierce

I'm starting to level now. I have a few 25s but I'm looking to maximize XP gains. The common theme seems to be to do the trainers in each area. I think that's where I will start because I want to get the safari hat.

Preciate it, sir.
Yeah, if you're just starting out, definitely do the quests/trainers for big xp.

My fault, I just assumed you already had some leveled. Should have covered both possibilities.

Meier

You could also fish for good Ashran games. That's very easy gear, too.

Can you explain this a bit? Done a decent amount of fishing by the skill ups are sooo slow. Do you need really high level to get anything other than fish/bait/hooks/etc. from it?

Granadier

The realm makes such a huge difference, my Space Goat Holy Pali was basically playing a solo rpg on Kilrogg, which is supposed to have an Alliance biased population and was cross-realmed with one of the largest Alliance servers. Meanwhile Dalaran, whose population is still Alliance biased, has this constant stream of chatter going on in the Horde hub cities and even though it's a PVE server the factions are constantly messing with each other on an almost daily basis. I used to hate world pvp when I started playing WoW, but even if it is griefing it's one of the rare moments that random players will not only start talking to one another but band together and help each other. I grin when the Crossroads is being attacked because I know it's retaliation for what was done to Goldshire, some lowbies flag to fight a 100, and eventually a giant rolling fight will happen once some high level Hordies show up.

Right!? It's awesome. The first night after I made my worgen there was a huge group of Hordies that took over Goldshire. Made the world feel so alive.

I seriously get old school vibes from Dalaran. The influx of new players that have been directed to this server has revitalized it's social environment.

Maybe I need to transfer... It's just hard, y'know? As dead as this realm is, after rerolling here 9 years ago, I've never looked back. It's home!

I did try rerolling on Defias Brotherhood (EU-RPPvP server), and while Stormwind seemed quite alive, it didn't seem that much more happening & vibrant than my realm. Everyone recommends Argent Dawn, but I'll never be caught dead playing on a PvE server.

You should! At least make a new character on the realm and try it out.

Can you explain this a bit? Done a decent amount of fishing by the skill ups are sooo slow. Do you need really high level to get anything other than fish/bait/hooks/etc. from it?

I think what he meant is realm hopping or finding a group for a good Ashran game. That's a really solid way to get a ton of Honor that you can use to buy PvP gear. It's one of the fastest ways to gear up a fresh 100 character. Especially if you have a Gladiator's Sanctum in your garrison to turn in bones for Honor.

Does anyone else get an error where the equipment manage sometimes just chooses to 'do not include' on a bunch of slots on all of your equipment sets? This happens to me like once a week and it drives me crazy.

Also driving me crazy: getting rejected from mythic dungeon pugs because of "PVP gear". I'm 715 ilvl with 8/8 CM golds and mythic dungeons are faceroll easy.

phierce

Does anyone else get an error where the equipment manage sometimes just chooses to 'do not include' on a bunch of slots on all of your equipment sets? This happens to me like once a week and it drives me crazy.

Also driving me crazy: getting rejected from mythic dungeon pugs because of "PVP gear". I'm 715 ilvl with 8/8 CM golds and mythic dungeons are faceroll easy.
Devil's advocate here, but are you in full PVP gear? Did you buy a carry for those 8/8 golds? People assume no PVE gear means you probably don't PVE and don't want you in mythics.
Most mythic dungeons, at this point in the game, are speed runs for valor and the above assumption doesn't fit the equation.

Devil's advocate here, but are you in full PVP gear? Did you buy a carry for those 8/8 golds? People assume no PVE gear means you probably don't PVE and don't want you in mythics.
Most mythic dungeons, at this point in the game, are speed runs for valor and the above assumption doesn't fit the equation.

No? You can't get to 715 with only pvp gear. Anyway, unless you raid or got lucky with mythic warforged pieces PVP gear is the best available for most slots. For gearing my alts it's the most obvious option. There are plenty of pugs that say "680+ NO PVP PIECES" which is just stupid.

phierce

No? You can't get to 715 with only pvp gear. Anyway, unless you raid or got lucky with mythic warforged pieces PVP gear is the best available for most slots. For gearing my alts it's the most obvious option. There are plenty of pugs that say "680+ NO PVP PIECES" which is just stupid.
Fair enough. Which is why I asked. I'm a raider. Don't touch PVP at all and have no idea if the gear is 680, 700 or 715.

However, you say unless you raid, PVP gear is the best you can get which is possibly why people don't want PVP geared toons? They want PVE people.

I level a new alt and he's 680-690+ as soon as he dings 100 with zero effort. Then, take crafted plus boa baleful shit from the shipyard, and the 695 baleful enhancement that is boa and it makes it extremely easy to get 695+ as soon as they ding.

I wasn't questioning or condoning anything, just trying to give you an idea as to why people may say no to you.

If you can't get to 715 without raiding, I have no idea why they would have an issue with a 715 in some PVP gear.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You gotta put "Hi" in the comment. Just that. Nothing else. Gets you in every time.

Fair enough. Which is why I asked. I'm a raider. Don't touch PVP at all and have no idea if the gear is 680, 700 or 715.

However, you say unless you raid, PVP gear is the best you can get which is possibly why people don't want PVP geared toons? They want PVE people.

I level a new alt and he's 680-690+ as soon as he dings 100 with zero effort. Then, take crafted plus boa baleful shit from the shipyard, and the 695 baleful enhancement that is boa and it makes it extremely easy to get 695+ as soon as they ding.

I wasn't questioning or condoning anything, just trying to give you an idea as to why people may say no to you.

If you can't get to 715 without raiding, I have no idea why they would have an issue with a 715 in some PVP gear.
I think the point is that Mythic Dungeons are very easy, and generally drop gear worse than pvp gear. So asking for people who only have raid gear is pretty silly. I guess the demand for mythic dungeons is so high that people can be choosy, though. As soon as I get all the heirloom trinkets I'll be over it.

You gotta put "Hi" in the comment. Just that. Nothing else. Gets you in every time.
This actually worked for me just a minute ago.

I think the point is that Mythic Dungeons are very easy, and generally drop gear worse than pvp gear. So asking for people who only have raid gear is pretty silly. I guess the demand for mythic dungeons is so high that people can be choosy, though. As soon as I get all the heirloom trinkets I'll be over it.

What's the drop rate on those trinkets? I wanted to run mythic dungeons but haven't gotten my feet wet. I'm a 699 DK tank. Are they difficult?

What's the drop rate on those trinkets? I wanted to run mythic dungeons but haven't gotten my feet wet. I'm a 699 DK tank. Are they difficult?

Everything hits a little harder and has more hp, but you'll barely notice at 699. You just can't ignore mechanics the way you can in heroic mode. It has the extra CM mechanics too. It will be very easy at 699.

The trinket drop rate isn't that great. I've done ~40 mythic dungeons across my characters and have only got the healer one (which sucks).

phierce

That's probably the case. The demand is so high to upgrade that raid gear and people only want raiders.

Thanks for the insight on the PVP gear.

phierce

I guessed I used up all of my RNG mojo getting Mim's head on the first try.
hahahahaha yeah don't ever bitch about another drop. Ever.

I have all trinkets except the healing one which is perfectly fine because I will never, ever, ever, ever heal in any game.

I still don't have Mim's head after way too many runs though!!

Everything hits a little harder and has more hp, but you'll barely notice at 699. You just can't ignore mechanics the way you can in heroic mode. It has the extra CM mechanics too. It will be very easy at 699.

The trinket drop rate isn't that great. I've done ~40 mythic dungeons across my characters and have only got the healer one (which sucks).

Alrighty, thanks for the response. I may queue up a bit this week then and see how it goes. Is there an iLvl I should be looking for when I start a group or stick to joining someone else's?

Granadier

Had the pleasure of talking with a "my uncle works at Nintendo" type person in guild chat. Here's a few of the "inside details" he shared with us:

• Secret guild achievement for when you hit gold cap (999kg). He was at 400k and couldn't wait. (Gives a rare pet too!)
  • Another secret achievement called "Shackles" for doing who knows what.
  • In 2017 Blizzard is going to remove the concept of leveling from WoW. Progression will be based on stat increases only.
  • All raids in Legion will be timed. If you don't make the time you lose out on all gear. (Close on this one, since he was referencing the new Challenge Mode)
Also he's going to build the guild website with Java and Shockwave.

giphy.gif

Made a new character on Moonguard to attempt the Iron Man Challenge. So far my scariest experience was walking past the Goldshire Inn.

Kurita

The lack of apparent community spirit & socialization. Being social isn't forced upon you anymore - You're now forced to look for it.

I see, thanks for the feedback.
Any big changes to the game mechanics since Cataclysm? Since there has been two expansion packs I assume some stuff might be a little different.

Anyway, I grabbed Warlords of Draenor since it was only 15 euros on the store, can't wait to be back.

ZenaxPure

I see, thanks for the feedback.
Any big changes to the game mechanics since Cataclysm? Since there has been two expansion packs I assume some stuff might be a little different.

Nearly every aspect of the game has changed in one way or another over the past few expansions, the degree of those changes and how big or small they are really just come down to what you care about personally.

Tenebrous

That's ridiculous. I walk into dungeons as a 711 tank in 50% PvP gear and no-one batters an eyelid. The PvP gear is great.

Anyway, my Heart of Fear runs. After 18~ runs I have...

The crafting mats for all 4 of the non-epic JC mounts (20 of each gem, 16 living steel, 8 serpents eye)
25x Serpent's Eye
300x Green qualitry MoP gems
37x Non-mount blue gems
34x Spirit of Harmony (used over 60 to get the Steel)
425x Exotic Leather
755x Windwool Cloth
29,840 gold - Sold 11 Living Steel Bars & 100 Trillium Bars. Rest is entirely from vendors/looting.
Total = 33-35k

Cheapest panthers on my AH are 33k each, so a 13k saving per mount, 4 times, 52k+33k leaves me having saved/made a grand total of 85k.

Can't moan with that, honestly! Now all I have to do is do it all again so I can get me the epic (although I'm in no rush seeing how the 4 blue mounts will get me to 250).

ZenaxPure

I think the pvp gear stuff with Mythic dungeons is mostly people looking for those to be insanely face roll. Yes the pvp gear is overkill for those dungeons but there is still a pretty big difference in damage between someone who is ilvl 710 with pvp gear and someone who is ilvl 710 but has their HFC set bonuses, legendary ring, and archimonde trinket.

Tenebrous

I hope they go back to older style setbonuses in Legion. The current bonuses, as you say, make such a huge difference to what's otherwise stat-similar gear. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a difference, but right now, the difference is way too big.

Zelias

Banned
I hope they go back to older style setbonuses in Legion. The current bonuses, as you say, make such a huge difference to what's otherwise stat-similar gear. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a difference, but right now, the difference is way too big.
I agree. I've had shit luck getting tier for my DK so far and it's frustrating as hell to know it's probably having a major effect on my DPS potential.

Robin64

I liked how many of the the Firelands set bonuses really fit the theme of the raid, doing extra damage or flair as fire type.

Edwardo

I think the pvp gear stuff with Mythic dungeons is mostly people looking for those to be insanely face roll. Yes the pvp gear is overkill for those dungeons but there is still a pretty big difference in damage between someone who is ilvl 710 with pvp gear and someone who is ilvl 710 but has their HFC set bonuses, legendary ring, and archimonde trinket.

Would it matter as much with healing? I'm an ilvl 704 Mistweaver and would like to start trying Mythic dungeons.

Had a super insanely lucky weekend. On the last day of festivus, I got 2 fkn mounts!!! I learned one and threw the other up on the AH. I am having a smidge of buyers remorse selling it right away. I probalby should have waited a few weeks to see if I could have gotten a bit more gold, but Im pretty happy with 55k. Im finally over 1/2M for the first time ever (Id be well over 1M if i didnt buy a crapton of mounts.)

Meier

I think what he meant is realm hopping or finding a group for a good Ashran game. That's a really solid way to get a ton of Honor that you can use to buy PvP gear. It's one of the fastest ways to gear up a fresh 100 character. Especially if you have a Gladiator's Sanctum in your garrison to turn in bones for Honor.

I gotcha. I've been pretty impressed with the find group tool for doing dailies and the like. I haven't done any PVP though in the new expansion but I keep getting put onto pvp servers with the tool which is a little weird to me. I've been on Lothar since TBC came out and I started a new account but no one I began with actually plays nowadays so it's a little lonely. I swapped to a new guild the other day since my old random one was completely dead but this new one is pretty minor as well which is a shame. I just end up coming back for a month or two a year or two after an expansion comes out since it's cheaper to get it at that point.. unfortunately no one I know does the same.

Im finally over 1/2M for the first time ever (Id be well over 1M if i didnt buy a crapton of mounts.)

I'd like to buy game time with gold but it seems like it's gonna be tough to get to that magic 30-35k number. Outside of selling a mount for 55k, what has been your best tactic for making money? I keep spending so much on my garrison and the like that it seems difficult to accrue much (around 8k right now). I've only been playing again for 8-9 days so obviously I have a lot of room for growth but I also still have a ton to spend.

Made a new character on Moonguard to attempt the Iron Man Challenge. So far my scariest experience was walking past the Goldshire Inn.

They should give an achievement for that. Seriously. Never have I turned off general and local defense chat more quickly than when I quested through that area. Even the Barrens was more tolerable back in the day.

I gotcha. I've been pretty impressed with the find group tool for doing dailies and the like. I haven't done any PVP though in the new expansion but I keep getting put onto pvp servers with the tool which is a little weird to me. I've been on Lothar since TBC came out and I started a new account but no one I began with actually plays nowadays so it's a little lonely. I swapped to a new guild the other day since my old random one was completely dead but this new one is pretty minor as well which is a shame. I just end up coming back for a month or two a year or two after an expansion comes out since it's cheaper to get it at that point.. unfortunately no one I know does the same.

I'd like to buy game time with gold but it seems like it's gonna be tough to get to that magic 30-35k number. Outside of selling a mount for 55k, what has been your best tactic for making money? I keep spending so much on my garrison and the like that it seems difficult to accrue much (around 8k right now). I've only been playing again for 8-9 days so obviously I have a lot of room for growth but I also still have a ton to spend.

You need four to ten 100s to make easy bank. You need the level 3 Inn and about 10-12 followers with +gold from mission passive per alt. You also need them at ilvl 675. It will probably take 2 months to get there, but once you do, you just do missions and make stupid amounts of gold. The gold from missions seems to be account capped, but the more alts you have, the more chances you have at rare missions giving sellable items (ogre cache, honor token, rep token, ect). You will also want to get a level 3 salvage yard. Ive made 600k gold since Oct 13th just from doing garrison missions once a day on 5 characters.

Also do the primal spirit missions. Savage blood sells for 100g each or there abouts i usually get even PS to buy 4-5 a day.

Edwardo

You need four to ten 100s to make easy bank. You need the level 3 Inn and about 10-12 followers with +gold from mission passive per alt. You also need them at ilvl 675. It will probably take 2 months to get there, but once you do, you just do missions and make stupid amounts of gold. The gold from missions seems to be account capped, but the more alts you have, the more chances you have at rare missions giving sellable items (ogre cache, honor token, rep token, ect). You will also want to get a level 3 salvage yard. Ive made 600k gold since Oct 13th just from doing garrison missions once a day on 5 characters.

Also do the primal spirit missions. Savage blood sells for 100g each or there abouts i usually get even PS to buy 4-5 a day.

Are there garrison missions for primal spirits?

Meier

Thanks for the tips! I really like the Garrison stuff but I've never been one for doing a bunch of grinding with alts. I've got one guy I got up to 77 and that's it. I do have my token to jump one to 90 so maybe I'll do that with this druid I made based on people's suggestions. It seems like going from 90-100 is pretty easy to do so it wouldn't be very difficult to say have 3 guys at a high level.

For now, the most I've seen is something like 40 gold on my missions which is fairly pathetic but that's good to hear they grow. I tried one of those missions to get a 615 ilvl item for a follower but sadly failed it (had about 54% chance or so). I'll keep at it though. I wish you could do the garrison missions remotely like the AH!

Are there garrison missions for primal spirits?

Yes, they are 660 and 675 and give 20/30 respectively. I get them all the time. You need a level 3 garrison and followers at 675. Ive gone through 2-3000 PS just from mission rewards. I have probably 4k more across my 5 characters.

Top Bottom