• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Taking a break from my goblin shaman to level up a gnome mage strictly through dungeon queue. Not going to do any questing on the gnome until I hit Draenor, which should be this weekend, maybe. Don't know what it is, but fire mage is really fun to play as. I think it's the slot machine action of free Pyroblasts going off. You hear that sound, see the aura effect on your toon and it's "JACKPOT, more burst, more DoTs!".

I've just been logging in twice a day on the shaman and passively gaining garrison resources. While most buildings are only level 2 currently, everything is starting to come online. My shipyard is up and running, the warmill is starting to pump out follower upgrades, the trading post is fueling the warmill, the scrapyard is providing vendor trash and follower upgrades, followers are getting the treasure hunter passive, their overall item level is 650 and I'm finally getting to the point where I can upgrade my crafted gear to start selling it on the AH.

I do have a level 100 boost and would like an insta-garrison but I don't know what class I want to use it on, warlock maybe. Even though Draenor's profession catch-up mechanics are a thing, I want the profession bonus you get from boosting a level 60. Inscription in Legion looks like it might be worthwhile.

Highlighting the gear should telling you the piece names, but it's the Valorous Kirin Tor Garb (http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=836/kirin-tor-garb).

It's a mop era screen shot (since monks don't have grapple weapon anymore), armoried the guy but he has an inferior mog now, but thanks.

Why do you have so many duplicates on your bars?

Is there any reason to have icons for cooldownless abilties like BoK, disable or jab on your bars?

Check out the crafted cloth chest. Looks good.

The T8 ones? I'll check.

Tenebrous

These ones stand out a little bit more, as do the WoD belts. I get what you're saying, though.

Got the sword from Socrethar tonight. Wahhey!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there any reason to have icons for cooldownless abilties like BoK, disable or jab on your bars?

Huh? I'm just curious why you have duplicates.

Now that I look on my computer it looks like the duplicates are macros?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What have I done? I've been clean for over 5 years but I just activated a WoD 10 day trial, for some reason I'm getting very nostalgic and just want to run around. I played from day one for over 5 years at a very high level and it basically consumed my life, so this may not be the best idea but honestly I'll never get hooked again, not unless my old guild reforms as they were a huge reason why I loved the game so much.

Granadier

Tier 19 mythic druid sets with shoulders were just mined.

497662-druid-tier-19-mythic.jpg

497661-druid-tier-19-mythic.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
God this game has changed so much, and I totally forgot I had switched to Alliance before I quit. I quickly boshed out a quick UI as the default is still very meh, it's amazing how all the addons I used to use are still being updated. It feels so weird to be playing again, not knowing anything after being such an addict before.

Ended up using my lvl 100 boost on my gnome mage because reasons. Holy shit the Alliance garrison is a giant castle.The Horde garrison is like a couple of yurts huddled up in the snow by comparison.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I was thinking, I've got like 12 100s at this point.

I was doing all the Tanaan apexis bonus objectives in addition to the dailies to get my mage geared up. But shouldn't I just do the dailies on all my characters instead and just send the empowered fragments to my mage?

ZenaxPure

I was doing all the Tanaan apexis bonus objectives in addition to the dailies to get my mage geared up. But shouldn't I just do the dailies on all my characters instead and just send the empowered fragments to my mage?

Yeah, something along those lines. I typically gamble the normal tokens on whatever character I am focusing on at the time until I get a piece with favorable stats and then use a different character to buy empowered tokens. Especially on my main who gets a ridiculous amount of apexis from garrison missions but has no use for them anymore. Also they are BOA which means you can send them cross faction/server, my useless WoD boosted character I never play occasionally will have enough from missions so I will go and buy one then send it to my main server.

Also semi-related you get a ton of baleful stuff from the call to arms satchels (including empowered fragments) and those are all BOA as well. Been noticing lately that various highmaul/BRF wings will have DPS call to arms so I've been doing them. Honestly kinda crazy since each satchel nets you 5-600g, a bunch of runes, and 2 or 3 baleful tokens and none of those places take very long to run with current ilvls.

Tenebrous

Do you have a tank/healer?

Download Satchel Scanner from Curse, and run through dungeons. Empored Fragments are a 1 in 5 drop, and you're likely to get at least one item for your mage per run, plus 500-600g, and other loot for your alts.

Meier

Got to the tome stage of the legendary ring quest. My god...

Do you have a tank/healer?

Download Satchel Scanner from Curse, and run through dungeons. Empored Fragments are a 1 in 5 drop, and you're likely to get at least one item for your mage per run, plus 500-600g, and other loot for your alts.
I just read the description but am clueless as to what this means it does. I've yet to get one of those upgrade items (seen a few go to other group members) personally and have actually not spent the 20k on them as I'm now saving up for a mount. What exactly is this doing? Is it looking for those random purple chests that you see in Tanaan but in a dungeon?

I swear that Blizzard have put some code in to make Baleful items almost always roll with Versatality as a stat:(

I keep trying to get Deft or Savage for my Shaman and almost zero luck.

Tenebrous

Boredom, mostly. Chaos Bolt crits like shit compared to what my other classes in equal gear can do (Obliterate on my DK, Ice Nova on my Mage). Can do the content, but eh...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'll admit i find Destruction not very fun to play on my alt, especially compared to my frost mage.

I dunno... its just boring to play when the only strong spell is Chaos Bolt(doesn't help that it can only be used when you have enough Embers), Incinerate and Immolate feels like they don't hurt at all.

I almost want to go back to Demonology. Dunno how good it is these days.

idlewild_

I just do the shipyard and garrison missions for apexis. Most of my alts can buy an empowered fragment every 2 weeks or less just off of those. It requires some setup, and won't really help you for this mage, but if you want to get all of your alts in 700+ gear that's a very easy way to do it.

Almost all of my alts have the 715 ring too due to the missions too, I just did the 5 heroics and one lfr clear of highmaul and brf on each alt for the quest items. Most of the stones and runes came from missions, it takes a few weeks but it's a way less time investment than actually running the raids. Between empowered apexis, crafted gear, 715 ring, heirloom trinket, and kazzak gear almost all of my alts are over 700 ilvl and they have barely been played. I'm hoping they add in apexis weekly quests and/or garrison missions for the tomes too, would be nice to get the legendary ring on all the alts.

Tenebrous

Rather you than me. I still don't have Invincible, but I'm so tired of ICC at this point that I can't even be bothered to lockout share.

Meier

It scans for Savage Satchel of Cooperation in the dungeon finder. This pops up quite often for tanks/healers, and contains 500-600g, Bind-to-Account Baleful loot, upgrade tokens, and runes. Loot percentages can be found here.

Oh okay, that explains why I'm clueless about it. Just playing a hunter!

I'm a bit curious -- I got my ilvl to 694 now and have a few armor pieces I haven't really bothered to upgrade since they just give me a few pieces of armor which is by and large not super important for me. Is it worth using the valor to upgrade their level even if the item specific bonus is minimal?

For instance -- in Destiny, even if you lose some stat points by replacing a piece of gear with a higher light level, you're automatically more effective against the toughest mobs. Is it the same in WoW? If I upgrade everything to max and get to ilvl 697 for instance, will I do any different than at 694 just by proxy of having a higher ilvl?

cdyhybrid

I'm a bit curious -- I got my ilvl to 694 now and have a few armor pieces I haven't really bothered to upgrade since they just give me a few pieces of armor which is by and large not super important for me. Is it worth using the valor to upgrade their level even if the item specific bonus is minimal?

For instance -- in Destiny, even if you lose some stat points by replacing a piece of gear with a higher light level, you're automatically more effective against the toughest mobs. Is it the same in WoW? If I upgrade everything to max and get to ilvl 697 for instance, will I do any different than at 694 just by proxy of having a higher ilvl?

Higher ilvl gives you more AGI (assuming that piece has some), so there's at least that. Beyond that, you'd have to sim it to say for sure.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I am. On 25HC. 14 times a week. In its entirity. I'm actually in there now!

You're insane to go through all that unskippable dialogues and boring wait between trash on the 2nd half of the raid 14 times a week. I can barely stomach doing it once.

Tenebrous

You'll do slightly more DPS. It just depends if the end result is worth the effort for you.

You're insane to go through all that unskippable dialogues and boring wait between trash on the 2nd half of the raid 14 times a week. I can barely stomach doing it once.

I don't mind that stuff at all. I'll stop doing it when the last mount I need drops, but until then, I'm enjoying the casual clearing & the gold that comes with it.

Meier

Higher ilvl gives you more AGI (assuming that piece has some), so there's at least that. Beyond that, you'd have to sim it to say for sure.

In this case, all of the pieces I haven't upgraded yet just offer + armor stat (like +5-7 points or something fairly negligible). I definitely upgraded the items that offered multiple stats (trinket, rings, cloak, etc.)

You'll do slightly more DPS. It just depends if the end result is worth the effort for you.

Well, I have like 1500 valor available to spend as it's easy to come by, I just didn't really know if it was worth spending since it seems like the only benefit would be higher ilvl since the armor stat is kind of inconsequential for a hunter most of the time. I haven't really seen any use for valor outside of upgrading armor yet so it's not as if I'm specifically saving it up.

Tenebrous

Well, I have like 1500 valor available to spend as it's easy to come by, I just didn't really know if it was worth spending since it seems like the only benefit would be higher ilvl since the armor stat is kind of inconsequential for a hunter most of the time. I haven't really seen any use for valor outside of upgrading armor yet so it's not as if I'm specifically saving it up.

There's absolutely no use for it at all except for leveling up armor & the legendary ring, so spend away. Use it on your highest iLvl pieces first, as they should be the last ones you end up replacing.

In this case, all of the pieces I haven't upgraded yet just offer + armor stat (like +5-7 points or something fairly negligible). I definitely upgraded the items that offered multiple stats (trinket, rings, cloak, etc.)

Sometimes there's a display bug where it only shows a minimal armor upgrade or something. The actual values for upgrading will be greater.

Granadier

Ended up using my lvl 100 boost on my gnome mage because reasons. Holy shit the Alliance garrison is a giant castle.The Horde garrison is like a couple of yurts huddled up in the snow by comparison.

This is one of the reasons I went Alliance on Dalaran. But mostly Horde just felt weird to me. I'd always been ally in the past, but tried Horde on Emerald Dream.

JSoup

Banned
Whelp, Heavensward is down to a price I'm ok with and WoW is now down to just the post-expansion grind, so I guess I'm going to go on another MMO vacation until 7.0.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Caved and bought WoD, I got to level 90 99% and wanted to play more, that's how they get you!

erawsd

No, in WoW the ilvl has no direct influence on your character's strength the way light does in Destiny -- thats all derived from the stats themselves. Its not uncommon for a slightly lower ilvl item to be better just because its itemization is stronger for your spec.

The truth though is that, unless you are in a raid guild or at least have a circle of friends to group with, raising your ilvl is the most important thing you can do because that determines whether you get into pug groups or not, especially for dps where competition for group invites is super high, even 1 or 2 points can make the difference.

Lomax

I had never bothered thinking about the Shadowmourne quest on my Paladin because I was under the impression that it was a terrible grind and you needed help with a lot of the steps of the quest, plus on my server primordial saronite was still pretty expensive. But today I noticed a bunch of cheap saronite and decided to check it out, and now after one lockout I'm already on the final grindy shard stage. The blood infusion did take a couple of tries with some guildies but it wasn't too bad and the rest was soloable. So I guess in a couple of months I'll have some new toys.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the best way to get some quick honor/conq and get my alts geared? I hear PVP gear is around as good as empowered baleful level gear and doesn't require as ridic of a grind. I know I could buy champ's honor but I figure between skirmish event and ashran i could get it quicker without spending gold

ZenaxPure

What's the best way to get some quick honor/conq and get my alts geared? I hear PVP gear is around as good as empowered baleful level gear and doesn't require as ridic of a grind. I know I could buy champ's honor but I figure between skirmish event and ashran i could get it quicker without spending gold

Ashran is good if your faction is winning, especially since you can be really lazy in it.

Not sure about the Skirmish event but during the Battle Ground event you get stupid amounts of honor.

Top Bottom