• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Aww man, should've snagged it when it was $12.49 earlier this month.

Damn, oh well. £15 isn't too bad and I have enough gold for a month sub, after that we'll see. I wish they had this feature back in my day, would have saved 100s of £. We used to sell raid gear, mounts, titles etc so I was super rich like the guys with millions now. I have 70k now so after paying for a month I'll be skint, it cost about 11k for my heirlooms as well.

So far I'm having fun purely due to nostalgia, I still get giddy from turning in quests and hearing that music lol. Did some WoD basic dungeons and it's nice to know everyone still stands in everything and expects you to out heal the damage (I did, ofc!). I can't believe being instantly dismounted by mobs lower level is still a thing, it really does hurt questing as it always did before. I'm also surprised mob tagging is still a thing, after playing GW2 this system seems so dated and cumbersome.

I'm liking all the random bits and bobs you find around the world, and Handynotes and NPCscan are just great together, I'm always killing something other than quest mobs which breaks up the grind a bit. I still really don't enjoy questing and never have, although it's definitely better now.

Lomax

Damn, oh well. £15 isn't too bad and I have enough gold for a month sub, after that we'll see. I wish they had this feature back in my day, would have saved 100s of £. We used to sell raid gear, mounts, titles etc so I was super rich like the guys with millions now. I have 70k now so after paying for a month I'll be skint, it cost about 11k for my heirlooms as well.

So far I'm having fun purely due to nostalgia, I still get giddy from turning in quests and hearing that music lol. Did some WoD basic dungeons and it's nice to know everyone still stands in everything and expects you to out heal the damage (I did, ofc!). I can't believe being instantly dismounted by mobs lower level is still a thing, it really does hurt questing as it always did before. I'm also surprised mob tagging is still a thing, after playing GW2 this system seems so dated and cumbersome.

I'm liking all the random bits and bobs you find around the world, and Handynotes and NPCscan are just great together, I'm always killing something other than quest mobs which breaks up the grind a bit. I still really don't enjoy questing and never have, although it's definitely better now.

Mob tagging is much less of a thing, for things like world bosses and important quest mobs now those mobs just scale up instead of getting tagged. It's a vast improvement. And if you build the stables then daze dismounting goes away in draenor.

ampere

What's the best way to get some quick honor/conq and get my alts geared? I hear PVP gear is around as good as empowered baleful level gear and doesn't require as ridic of a grind. I know I could buy champ's honor but I figure between skirmish event and ashran i could get it quicker without spending gold

The quickest way is the Battleground Bonus Event, 300% increased honor in bgs. Next one starts Feb 3rd.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Mob tagging is much less of a thing, for things like world bosses and important quest mobs now those mobs just scale up instead of getting tagged. It's a vast improvement. And if you build the stables then daze dismounting goes away in draenor.

Oh baby! Well I'll be building that ASAP.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yesterday I went through Pandaria on my Mage. Like leveled all the way to 90 in just the Jade Forest. It feels weird that all of the leveling is possible with just the quests there (I didn't even complete them all).

Kinda wish that Blizzard had stuck with the old style and had Cata + Pandaria be 10 levels each.

Lomax

Yesterday I went through Pandaria on my Mage. Like leveled all the way to 90 in just the Jade Forest. It feels weird that all of the leveling is possible with just the quests there (I didn't even complete them all).

Kinda wish that Blizzard had stuck with the old style and had Cata + Pandaria be 10 levels each.

Pandaria's leveling still felt pretty meaty to me (as long as you do it without heirlooms). Cata leveling was pitiful though. It's not like they couldn't have made those 5 levels last just as long as 10 levels though if they had wanted to. I think 5 levels was originally to perpetuate the "we're going to do expansions faster now" line they keep trying to sell as if that's somehow a good thing.

Granadier

Pandaria's leveling still felt pretty meaty to me (as long as you do it without heirlooms). Cata leveling was pitiful though. It's not like they couldn't have made those 5 levels last just as long as 10 levels though if they had wanted to. I think 5 levels was originally to perpetuate the "we're going to do expansions faster now" line they keep trying to sell as if that's somehow a good thing.

Yeah, which they then just bailed on once WoD came. Agreed on the Cata point though. That felt like the weakest expansion out of all of them.

Your point about heirlooms though is valid. I was in full heirloom gear, so that sped things up a lot.

I do think the questing was really meaty. One of the things I like best about WoD is the questing, and Pandaria felt really good too. Just wish I spent more time there, haha.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh baby! Well I'll be building that ASAP.

To be honest, that building is only worth it to get more mounts. Other buildings are more useful, and getting dazed become even less of a non-issue once you unlock flying.

Tenebrous

It also looks cool. I went through my Garrison achievements in order so I could have them all completed while leaving the Stables up at the very end.

Almost finished Trap Superstar, which leaves me with just the Wingmen achievement left *shudders.*

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

You can do the same thing with Cataclysm leveling, where you just push through Vahj'ir and you're 85 before you even hit the Abyssal Depths. The number of levels is pretty inconsequential, because they still have similar experience requirements, although this has obviously been trivialized by certain patches cutting EXP requirements.

Leveling curve is pretty awful now. Nearly broken really. Players spend an inordinate amount of time around some of the oldest content, and then find themselves rushed through the more up to date content in a way where it can't even really be experienced.

Meier

Sometimes there's a display bug where it only shows a minimal armor upgrade or something. The actual values for upgrading will be greater.

Ah ha! I actually just learned this yesterday the hard way or easy way if you will. I checked my armor again and all the upgrade numbers actually had stats! I'd looked multiple times before and it just showed +5 armor. Needless to say, I polished everything off yesterday.

I also got the ability to fly! I started back on 12/28/15 so it took me about 24 days of regular play to go from 90-100 and get that capability. 4-5 weeks to get the legendary ring is gonna be a monster.

Meier

Aww man, should've snagged it when it was $12.49 earlier this month.

I actually had no clue it was for sale from Blizzard for that cheap and bought it for $20 off ebay (doh). Still not a bad deal given the original price. I paid for 1 month and then in a few weeks made enough gold to buy another month.. so that's pretty cool.

phierce

Yeah, it's definitely 90%.

I actually had no clue it was for sale from Blizzard for that cheap and bought it for $20 off ebay (doh). Still not a bad deal given the original price. I paid for 1 month and then in a few weeks made enough gold to buy another month.. so that's pretty cool.
Yeah during Christmas time, they had pre WoD WoW for $1.49 and WoD for $12.49. Jumped all over it for RAF purposes.

Bisnic

You must not have a gold printing garrison yet.

I can somewhat understand what he means.

Would you rather print gold by actually playing the game(you know... raids, dungeons, quests, pvp) or by sending followers & ships somewhere? Sure followers & ships are much more quicker, but is it fun?

What if doing the 10 Apexis Fragment quest for example rewarded you with 300g? Hunting for rares for 300g sure sound more fun than grinding a bunch of treasure hunters until they reach 675.

phierce

I can somewhat understand what he means.

Would you rather print gold by actually playing the game(you know... raids, dungeons, quests, pvp) or by sending followers & ships somewhere? Sure followers & ships are much more quicker, but is it fun?

What if doing the 10 Apexis Fragment quest for example rewarded you with 300g? Hunting for rares sure sound more fun than grinding a bunch of treasure hunters until they reach 675.
But I do play the game. I raid with multiple toons, farm shit, etc. Just saying 20 minutes a day to make crazy amounts of gold doesn't bother me at all. Why is it such a hinderence for some of the people in this thread?

Would I be sad if it was gone? Probably not, but I'm definitely not wishing it goes away anytime soon.

Bisnic

But I do play the game. I raid with multiple toons, farm shit, etc. Just saying 20 minutes a day to make crazy amounts of gold doesn't bother me at all. Why is it such a hinderence for some of the people in this thread?

Would I be sad if it was gone? Probably not, but I'm definitely not wishing it goes away anytime soon.

It's definitely more than 20 minutes a day for me. I check it in the morning after breakfast and before the job, when i'm back 9 hours later, then right before bed. Maybe checking missions once a day would be enough, but i feel like i would miss on gold.

When you do that across multiple characters, going back in forth between the town hall and the salvage yard too, it adds up a lot.

Meier

The garrison and shipyard should be burned to the ground.

I love the garrison. The length of the shipyard missions and the propensity for utter shit rewards that don't help you at all is obnoxious and makes that function feel mostly pointless (also only having 10 ships is horrible when coupled with these issues), but the garrison is a blast and a function I'd like them to keep. It totally scratches an itch for me.

Fjordson

The garrison and shipyard should be burned to the ground.
Yeah, I find them to be a pretty boring addition to the game. I'll be happy if they're less prominent in Legion.

It's also discouraged me from leveling an alt from 90 to 100. It's probably not as annoying as I remember, but I don't feel like building up another garrison.

Granadier

Everything that is possible through the garrison/shipyard would work perfectly fine within a mobile, FarmVille style game. That goes entirely against what WoW gameplay is. It decreases the social aspect of the game, and inflates prices by providing stupid amounts of gold.

I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if it's burned to the ground in a torrent of fire and melted gold pieces.

Why is it such a hinderence for some of the people in this thread?

You have to have stuck with WoD and not everyone has.

It takes months to get your garrison to the point where it pays for itself and just spits out resources--gold, follower upgrades, oil, whatever--to the point where none of those things matter. Before you hit that critical mass, the garrison consumes way more resources and gold than it generates. It is a lodestone. What's worse is it removes the agency of my professions and hides them behind time gates and drip feeds. I am not limited by how many resources I can gather, your garrison throttles your profession progress/output. It doesn't help that professions are kind of borked in WoD, that they kind of tanked two gathering professions with an incredibly dumb design choice (everyone gets a mine and herb garden and can use them despite not having the profession for either). My gathering profession is one of my main sources of income as a new player, outside of running old raids and dungeons. I make more money off of Burning Crusade mats than I do WoD mats. I can make more gold off of one bar of Khorium than I can a 200 stack of Trueiron Ore. That's messed.

Maybe leveling up your garrison was easier if you were an established player with excess gold lying around but if you're new, it's a gold pit and time sink. My Goblin Shaman's garrison is finally coming online and going into cruise control, meanwhile my Gnome Mage is going to take a few months since it's my only Alli toon at the moment.

Granadier

My Goblin Shaman's garrison is finally coming online and going into cruise control, meanwhile my Gnome Mage is going to take a few months since it's my only Alli toon at the moment.

I didn't know you had an Alli toon on Dalaran. Add my battle tag and we can group up; Granadier#1345

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
started leveling my guardian druid to have a 100 of every spec i'm interested in for legion

and holy fuck is guardian boring

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Garrison reminds me of those mobile games that charge you £4.99 to speed up the build, it's a constant annoyance that you're basically forced into using. I just want mine set up for free gold basically, but I need to get level 100 first! Should hit 97 tonight, though.

Nere

The Garrison reminds me of those mobile games that charge you £4.99 to speed up the build, it's a constant annoyance that you're basically forced into using. I just want mine set up for free gold basically, but I need to get level 100 first! Should hit 97 tonight, though.

That's the biggest reason I cba with alts. The questing 90-100 is fucking awesome, the best it has ever been in wow, the zones are beautiful but then I think I have to do all the garrison garbage and my leveling hype drops to minus. I will be soooooo happy when legion releases and we will be able to get rid of the garrison. Wish blizzard allowed us to blow it up before legion that's how much I dislike it. Where are those theramore bombs when you need them?

Noob question, just got to around level 60. Was wondering is sense the raid content seems to be locked until level 85 does that mean I can't finish expansion story stuff until way later into theach or am I just being paranoid?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's the biggest reason I cba with alts. The questing 90-100 is fucking awesome, the best it has ever been in wow, the zones are beautiful but then I think I have to do all the garrison garbage and my leveling hype drops to minus. I will be soooooo happy when legion releases and we will be able to get rid of the garrison. Wish blizzard allowed us to blow it up before legion that's how much I dislike it. Where are those theramore bombs when you need them?

The thought of having to do it all again makes me sick, honestly. It's the most anti alt system ever. I used to have an alt of every class at 60 and 70 and loved the freedom but I doubt I'll do more than one alt at 100.

I didn't know you had an Alli toon on Dalaran. Add my battle tag and we can group up; Granadier#1345

Added you.

I don't know how much I'll be playing the Gnome Mage at the moment but I should work on its tailoring a bit so I can start pumping out hexweave bags and start making some money that way. I do have a Gnome Lock I want to level up as well but I am working on a Troll Survival Hunter right now. It will, at some point, have some synergy with my Goblin Shaman. I can provide the hunter with an upgraded rifle and money and the troll will eventually provide Leather armor upgrades.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How realistic is it for average Joe to pay for the monthly sub with gold? Money is tight like a tiger these days so I'd really rather go the gold route if possible.

How realistic is it for average Joe to pay for the monthly sub with gold? Money is tight like a tiger these days so I'd really rather go the gold route if possible.

If you have a couple 100s and are diligent about doing garrison missions it's very easy, on NA at least.

Just saw your previous post, with only one 100? It will be pretty tight, you'll probably have to clear cata heroic 25 raids every week to make it work. Especially until your garrison ramps up.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If you have a couple 100s and are diligent about doing garrison missions it's very easy, on NA at least.

Just saw your previous post, with only one 100? It will be pretty tight, you'll probably have to clear cata heroic 25 raids every week to make it work. Especially until your garrison ramps up.

i can afford doing it on one just fine.

just play the follower/mission game smart

Tarazet

started leveling my guardian druid to have a 100 of every spec i'm interested in for legion

and holy fuck is guardian boring

It's pretty simple. In Pandaria I think it was the only spec that had a true, static rotation, but it flowed well and if you were raid leading, you could just go on auto-pilot. Now it's even simpler than it was then, almost brain dead.

Granadier

Added you.

I don't know how much I'll be playing the Gnome Mage at the moment but I should work on its tailoring a bit so I can start pumping out hexweave bags and start making some money that way. I do have a Gnome Lock I want to level up as well but I am working on a Troll Survival Hunter right now. It will, at some point, have some synergy with my Goblin Shaman. I can provide the hunter with an upgraded rifle and money and the troll will eventually provide Leather armor upgrades.

You started with Horde on Dalaran didn't you? What was your reason for making some Alliance toons, out of curiosity? Seems like you are splitting your time across both factions.

You started with Horde on Dalaran didn't you? What was your reason for making some Alliance toons, out of curiosity? Seems like you are splitting your time across both factions.

I like Goblins, I like Gnomes. If I could leave the Alliance and Horde and join a Neutral Faction like the Steamwheedle Cartel, I would.

Edit: also, as much as I enjoy the Goblin starter area, it gets tedious to play through Kezan and the Lost Isle multiple times. It's faster rolling a gnome.

With just one toon?

Inn - At lvl 2, you can start recruiting followers with Treasure Hunter trait, level 3 unlocks gold missions.
Warmill - follower upgrades starting at lvl 2, this will drastically speed up hitting those follower ilvl milestones and can be significantly cheaper than buying Frozen Arms of the Hero off of AH (650 ilvl boost for follower)
Trading Post - generates garrison resources from various crafting mats, these you can gather in your garrison or purchase from trader. You'll use the garrison resources in your Warmill. The lvl 3 trading post helps with rep grinds.
Warehouse - lvl 3 ups number of possible work orders for each building.
Salvage Yard - starts to pay off at level 3, you get a decent chance of follower upgrades and a lot of vendor trash. Sometimes you get crafting mats you can use in the trading post.

You would have to consistently farm heroic raids every week, and probably heroic dungeons as well, with the brunt of the money from older content coming from vendor trash.

It's a lot easier to pay for your sub with gold if you're doing it with multiple garrisons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So my brother started playing again with some friends. He had quit during MOP. He's only been playing for a week and he already hates Tanaan Jungle dailies, and I don't blame him.

Usually I look at a lot of Blizzard decisions as misguided. As making choices they think may or may not work and just seeing how it goes. And it's easy enough to hate on WOD because they give me all the ammo for it but Legion has me thinking about it. The decisions for WOD haven't been misguided. They've been borderline moronic. People joined raid groups for Apexis dailies because they hated doing them and wanted it over as quickly as possible. Not only do you make the new content zone FIVE APEXIS DAILY BONUS OBJECTIVES but you make Apexis the new driving force behind everything. It's like some George Lucas/Jar Jar Binks 'fuck you for not accepting my great idea you ungrateful fucks' kinds of decision. In addition to that, you spend all this time in your garrison building up your followers, building up your garrison to support said followers, recruiting specific ones and gearing them out, the game trying to make you grow attached to them. The game giving you a Legendary follower.... Only to throw that away and say 'this shipyard thing that is complete RNG that you have no control over. That's the new thing.'

And speaking of George Lucas/Jar Jar Binks 'how dare you not accept this' shit, how about Ashran?

I love WoD right up to that cutscene in Nagrand. Then when all I'm left with is my garrison, shipyard and Tanaan, I tap out and roll a new toon to get to 100 for Legion.

Granadier

I like Goblins, I like Gnomes. If I could leave the Alliance and Horde and join a Neutral Faction like the Steamwheedle Cartel, I would.

Edit: also, as much as I enjoy the Goblin starter area, it gets tedious to play through Kezan and the Lost Isle multiple times. It's faster rolling a gnome.

A neutral faction would be nice...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

With just one toon?

Inn - At lvl 2, you can start recruiting followers with Treasure Hunter trait, level 3 unlocks gold missions.
Warmill - follower upgrades starting at lvl 2, this will drastically speed up hitting those follower ilvl milestones and can be significantly cheaper than buying Frozen Arms of the Hero off of AH (650 ilvl boost for follower)
Trading Post - generates garrison resources from various crafting mats, these you can gather in your garrison or purchase from trader. You'll use the garrison resources in your Warmill. The lvl 3 trading post helps with rep grinds.
Warehouse - lvl 3 ups number of possible work orders for each building.
Salvage Yard - starts to pay off at level 3, you get a decent chance of follower upgrades and a lot of vendor trash. Sometimes you get crafting mats you can use in the trading post.

You would have to consistently farm heroic raids every week, and probably heroic dungeons as well, with the brunt of the money from older content coming from vendor trash.

It's a lot easier to pay for your sub with gold if you're doing it with multiple garrisons.

OK, sounds like it won't happen right now then. I should hit 100 today then we'll see, once I've learned the Garrison properly I can maybe think about starting an alt, but I'm not really up for levelling again right now, want to gear up and do all the fun stuff at 100 first. I have enough gold for this month as my friend quit and gave me 50k which was nice, so that gives me just over a month to get it sorted.

Tenebrous

Right, I need an addon(s) that isn't weak auras that will give me...

A moveable rage bar that throbs when at 60+.
Visual indiction for the remainder of block/barrier.

Top Bottom