• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Silvermoon and Exodar are so far out of the way and in their own instances, on top of that Darnassus and Undercity are better, more populated faction hubs to hearth to, it's not worth going back to either Silvermoon or Exodar once you have the faction bags.

Just wrapped up Shadowmoon Valley's quest chain, I thought the end of Frostfire Ridge was epic, but the battle for the temple was on a whole other level. There's actually more lore to the Iron Horde in the Alliance starter zone than there is in the Horde one.

674ed4f77b.gif

Looking forward to going through this quest line.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Should i keep all the purples i get from doing old raids for the Legion transmog system, or will it somewhat remember everything that dropped in the past so I don't need to hold onto them? Seems like I pain to keep them for months.

Zelias

Banned
Should i keep all the purples i get from doing old raids for the Legion transmog system, or will it somewhat remember everything that dropped in the past so I don't need to hold onto them? Seems like I pain to keep them for months.
Keep them. Only quest rewards will be retroactively added.

Tenebrous

Just downed Archimonde heroic. Mythic soon...
I'll be back when I've killed 10+ bosses to say it was easy ;).
Seriously though, whoever designed heroic leap... Vindicated for that fight alone.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It was awesome. The moment-to-moment quest design in Draenor's Shadowmoon Valley is probably my favourite of what I've played thus far.

Agreed. I'm having so much fun on my mage going through this content.

I turned on HandyNotes as well and have been treasure hunting while questing. In my opinion the treasures and rares are some of the best content Blizz made this expansion. It adds so much depth to the areas. Especially when you don't have flying and have to find ways to navigate to the locations.

ZenaxPure

Spires of Arak is the only good WOD zone

Spires is probably the best but nah, the other zones are fine, except Talador. Something bad must of happened there during development, the battle for Shatt comes completely out of no where with no build up then ends the same way. It's like this thing that exists with no ties to the rest of that zone.

Feel like this is even more evidenced by the fact that the residential distract of Shatt (the elite apexis daily area) is phased before level 100. Tons of named NPCs there with a bunch of little event things where you can hear NPCs talking to each other, some of it completely contradictory to events that happen in the zone. Feels like it was something they forgot to remove from the zone during development but I assume most people miss it because it's not accessible once you hit level 100 and there are no quests that take you to that area of the city.

That said, all the Auchindoun stuff was still pretty awesome so it's not the whole zone that is messed up.

My guess is the early stages of planning for Legion caused some serious changes to Warlords of Draenor mid-way through its development. That the WoD team had to shoehorn in a bunch of stuff to bridge to the new xpac while maintaining their deadline to ship WoD. The Iron Horde and Warlords of Draenor just get pushed out of the picture so quickly. You have these set-ups for epic confrontations at the end of both of the faction starter zones that lead to nowhere. There's this huge build up in Frostfire Ridge and Shadowmoon Valley and then you're in Gorgrond, in the jungle. Fighting Botani, Ogres and Saberon. By the time you complete Talador, the Iron horde are basically defeated and broken with scattered pockets of resistance remaining in Spires and Nagrand as well as the apexis daily areas throughout the other zones. The Shattered Hand only control small parts of Spires, and the Warsong are mostly holed up in a couple of forts in Nagrand. Before the Iron Horde's collapse just sort of happens Gul'Dan and the Shadow Council are already taking center stage with that starter zone quest.

My favourite part of Talador is how Orgrim Doomhammer dies almost as quickly as he appears and you're supposed to care or something. He walks off of a ledge at the beginning of a nothing boss fight (into what, the water?) and then later appears in a cutscene only to die like a chump. At least Ga'nar had some sort of character arc.

Bisnic

My guess is the early stages of planning for Legion caused some serious changes to Warlords of Draenor mid-way through its development. That the WoD team had to shoehorn in a bunch of stuff to bridge to the new xpac while maintaining their deadline to ship WoD. The Iron Horde and Warlords of Draenor just get pushed out of the picture so quickly. You have these set-ups for epic confrontations at the end of both of the faction starter zones that lead to nowhere. There's this huge build up in Frostfire Ridge and Shadowmoon Valley and then you're in Gorgrond, in the jungle. Fighting Botani, Ogres and Saberon. By the time you complete Talador, the Iron horde are basically defeated and broken with scattered pockets of resistance remaining in Spires and Nagrand as well as the apexis daily areas throughout the other zones. The Shattered Hand only control small parts of Spires, and the Warsong are mostly holed up in a couple of forts in Nagrand. Before the Iron Horde's collapse just sort of happens Gul'Dan and the Shadow Council are already taking center stage with that starter zone quest.

My favourite part of Talador is how Orgrim Doomhammer dies almost as quickly as he appears and you're supposed to care or something. He walks off of a ledge at the beginning of a nothing boss fight (into what, the water?) and then later appears in a cutscene only to die like a chump. At least Ga'nar had some sort of character arc.

Funny, I've been thinking about Orgrim recently after doing Talador. You see him like twice(?) where he is sort of evil, never showing any hesitations or remorses. And yet ay the end of the Shattrah quest, he's confronting Blackhand being all "I will not slay so many innocent people".

Like... when and how did that turn happened?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No bloods of the mountain on the AH in Zul'jin at all.

They're gonna make me have to earn that part the old fashioned way.

Funny, I've been thinking about Orgrim recently after doing Talador. You see him like twice(?) where he is sort of evil, never showing any hesitations or remorses. And yet ay the end of the Shattrah quest, he's confronting Blackhand being all "I will not slay so many innocent people".

Like... when and how did that turn happened?

I think you see Orgrim three times. Once at a distance through that telescope overlooking the beachhead that Blackhand's troops are landing on, once with Durotan at a nearby spot right before battling one of Orgrim's lieutenants, where he's with the Iron Horde despite his best friend pleading, and then that last time where he's suddenly against what Blackhand is doing, which was what he wanted a few quest beats before, and dies because of it. That whole zone's questing feels like stuff was cut and frankenstiened together. You're kind of fighting some Iron Horde forces, suddenly Orgrim appears, suddenly you're defending Shattrath from Blackhand, Orgrim dies somehow being against Blackhand, by sinking one ship the Iron horde are now on the ropes and collapse. The shipwright you recruit at the start of your shipyard questline says that the sinking of Blackhands ship was the end of the Iron Horde.

Spires is almost all Arakkoa, which was fine, it's a great zone and the Arakkoa civil war was neat. There's a bit of build up of Kargath and the Shattered Hand that goes nowhere. Satisfactory anyways. Nagrand is the Warsongs last stand and where Garrosh first appears in WoD in Horde questing. He's one of the biggest villains in the expansion and he isn't present until the very end and even then it isn't a proper fight. You never see Grommash in the Horde-side questing outside of the Tanaan intro.

Gul'Dan, Cho'Gal and Teron'gor are more prominent than pretty much all of the Warlords, in the questing at least.

ampere

Considering there isnt even an Exodar portal in Stormshield either, i'm going to guess Blizzard figured nobody goes to these towns and said "fuck it".

I guess... I mean there's even a little Blood Elf area for the portal to go in. Just such a weird omission!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, so blue PvP gear is ilevel 700 and extremely easy to get (I have 4 bits after about 2 hours) and it's much better than LFR gear, and LFR is about as hard as a 5 man. I just did my first LFR and it was over within 10 minutes and so easy I could have probably solo healed it. I have 6 days left on my trial and honestly I doubt I'll sub, it's not the same game I used to play that's for sure, even if it's still enjoyable at the core they have made some bizarre decisions. I'll try again in Legion I think.

Shahadan

Well of course we're at the end of the xpac. Pvp gear wasn't 700 back then and people doing LFR were geared with what's its tuned for, 630

(edit: well a bit more for Hellfire LFR of course but not that much)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I guess I just came in at the wrong time then. I'll put a pin in the game until Legion.

ZenaxPure

Well of course we're at the end of the xpac. Pvp gear wasn't 700 back then and people doing LFR were geared with what's its tuned for, 630

(edit: well a bit more for Hellfire LFR of course but not that much)

Pretty much. HFC is 7 months old at this point, everyone has legendary rings, upgraded valor gear, and even people just running LFR have their fair share of normal mode HFC loot thanks to months of timewalking dungeons (not to mention most timewalking gear is a higher ilvl than what people started HFC LFR with anyway).

We're pretty much in hang out mode with WoD right now, free time to catch up on any old stuff you want and sit back and make tons of gold before blizz destroys it.

Bisnic

Yeah... i've been lvling all my alts that have been 90 since MoP to 100 lately. Got them in full Baleful gear, farmed some cool looking Tier sets and weapons, and now I'll soon be stuck in the usual "end of expansion" cycle where I do old raids and ZG for mounts.

Any Horde players on Europe looking to complete there HM/BRF Glory-Meta still? There's never any groups in the Raid Finder for it, would be good to find some like-minded folks!

Tenebrous

I wouldn't mind giving that a go, along with clearing both instances on Mythic. I'm very inexperienced with those raids, though.

I'd also like to do Pandaria/Thundering/Orgrimmar raiding meta achieves.

Meier

fwiw you should unlock Draenor flying before you level alts anyway because once you have it unlocked you can level alts from 90-100 in like an hour or two without doing any quests. Very fast process thanks to treasures/bonus objectives and the 300% bonus xp elixir you can buy very cheaply on the AH.
Whaaaat? Can you send me a link to a guide for this?

Meier

Not sure how to do it in 1-2 hours, but I've done it in less than 3 on a few toons.

Second post is the basic idea. Only time consuming part is 90-92...rest takes like an hour.
That is wild. Is this assuming the alt has a ton of heirlooms to add +10% exp as well? I would guess not since he said BOA which I assume means best option available? I haven't bought any of those potions or anything so that's good to think about.

Got my feral Druid to 92 and have been enjoying the class. There's a lot of stuff to do and the fact I can heal myself effectively is pretty awesome.

phierce

That is wild. Is this assuming the alt has a ton of heirlooms to add +10% exp as well? I would guess not since he said BOA which I assume means best option available? I haven't bought any of those potions or anything so that's good to think about.

Got my feral Druid to 92 and have been enjoying the class. There's a lot of stuff to do and the fact I can heal myself effectively is pretty awesome.
BOA = Bind on Account. Which in this case, means full heirlooms. The one note I'd make, I didn't bother using the 20% garrison pot last week when I did this and didn't really notice a big difference in time.

Lomax

Thank god, I never have to build another Destroyer again. I swear, if they had offered an option to just buy the murloc crew for like 5000 resources I would have done it. Build destroy build destroy build destroy... so obnoxious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My sub runs out in 5 hours and the only things I really have left to do in WoD personally are farming the BoA trinkets/rings, gold, and finishing up my legendary items. All my alts have been 100 for months now.

Not the most exciting prospects.

cdyhybrid

My sub runs out in 5 hours and the only things I really have left to do in WoD personally are farming the BoA trinkets/rings, gold, and finishing up my legendary items. All my alts have been 100 for months now.

Just take a few months off and come back fresh to dive into Legion! I'm gonna be diving headfirst into XCOM2 next week and I probably won't play anything else for months. I'll still log in to collect my Garrison gold, but I already bought enough tokens to last me until the end of the year.

JSoup

Banned

Break time. Play other games, perhaps even other MMOs. WoW will be there we you're interested again and it's about five months to Legion.

Perfect time to wait for Legion. I'm almost hitting the wall myself.

ampere

Yea I'm mostly just logging on for raid/garrison missions and waiting for a new alpha update. It's a slow time of the expansion cycle for WoW.

Fjordson

Yeah, this is alt time and old raids for mounts right now for me.

Also going to finish up my legendary ring in a few weeks, but that may be it on my main until Legion.

ZenaxPure

Not sure how to do it in 1-2 hours, but I've done it in less than 3 on a few toons.

Second post is the basic idea. Only time consuming part is 90-92...rest takes like an hour.

That seems really elaborate for the time took, I don't do any of that. I just pop an elixir and then start picking up treasures. Each of my characters take 4-5 elixirs and all of these are popped in succession except for one around level 94. At 94 I will take a little break and get all of the bonus objectives in Gorgrond near complete (except for the pale orc because I dislike it and the one in the far east part of the zone because it is out of the way) and then I head to Talador and get the shredder/lumber bonus objective near complete and the scared cat bonus objective near complete. Then I fly back up to Gorgrond, pop an elixir and finish up the bonus objectives (while picking up easy treasures along the way) then finish those 2 in Talador while picking up easy treasures. After that I fly down to Spires and pick up treasures until my current elixir fades then depending on how many treasures are left in the zone/my level I will either stay there and hit 100 or fly to Nagrand pop the next elixir and hit 100 there.

Nothing fancy to be honest, I don't pick up all the treasures either, just the ones that don't require going inside places you can't fly unless said place is really small and can be gotten in/out of really quick. Also in all of these cases I've gone with a full bar of rested xp (not intentional but you probably should) since treasures will consume rested xp. I've leveled 4 characters this way now and it's gotten slightly faster each time as I refine the process (basically which treasures are worth picking up). I guess on my next character I could legit time myself but I was mostly estimating the time based on 4-5 elixirs (which is 1 hour/1 hour 15 mins) and the time it takes to stop and do those bonus objectives I listed (speed here depends entirely on the class you're playing, how much you suck at it, and how good it is generally for speed killing). Oh also incredibly important, you need Archaeology before you start because a ton of the Spires treasures require it to open them and get their xp.

Also probably worth mentioning since I am Alliance I pick up treasures in SMV, no idea how the treasure situation is in Frostfire but SMV there are tons and they are tightly packed together, especially at a place like the burial grounds where there are ~10 treasures in one fairly tiny space.

JSoup

Banned
That seems really elaborate for the time took, I don't do any of that. I just pop an elixir and then start picking up treasures. Each of my characters take 4-5 elixirs and all of these are popped in succession except for one around level 94. At 94 I will take a little break and get all of the bonus objectives in Gorgrond near complete (except for the pale orc because I dislike it and the one in the far east part of the zone because it is out of the way) and then I head to Talador and get the shredder/lumber bonus objective near complete and the scared cat bonus objective near complete. Then I fly back up to Gorgrond, pop an elixir and finish up the bonus objectives (while picking up easy treasures along the way) then finish those 2 in Talador while picking up easy treasures. After that I fly down to Spires and pick up treasures until my current elixir fades then depending on how many treasures are left in the zone/my level I will either stay there and hit 100 or fly to Nagrand pop the next elixir and hit 100 there.

I add an extra few steps and do the first few Spires quests just to get the exp bonus from having an inn set up in zone. And I like the Spires questline. Really, if you're efficient at clearing quests, a couple potions, the inn and all the treasures will easily get you to 99, maybe even 100 depending on when you started using potions and how far along you were before you started.

Oh also incredibly important, you need Archaeology before you start because a ton of the Spires treasures require it to open them and get their xp.

This glitches a lot and some people have reported getting them on toons that don't have Archaeology learned, but worth doing anyway just to avoid problems.

diamount

Banned
How long does it take to complete the Draenor pathfinder achieve for flying? I have like 8 90s so that would be very beneficial to the leveling process.

ZenaxPure

I add an extra few steps and do the first few Spires quests just to get the exp bonus from having an inn set up in zone. And I like the Spires questline. Really, if you're efficient at clearing quests, a couple potions, the inn and all the treasures will easily get you to 99, maybe even 100 depending on when you started using potions and how far along you were before you started.

Yeah, the method is very flexible, I don't have a super rigid path or anything. What I posted was more of an outline, there is plenty of room to make it your own. Your first go at it will also probably be slower just because you aren't familiar with what treasures are worth picking up, some are out of the way and some straight up don't give XP when picked up.

Meier

How long does it take to complete the Draenor pathfinder achieve for flying? I have like 8 90s so that would be very beneficial to the leveling process.

It took me about 24 days from coming back to WOW after 3+ years (level 90-100). I've been playing pretty regularly over that period though. The hardest faction from my experience was the Order of the Awakened since you can only raise it by doing the quest for 10 fel fragments a day. I didn't really realize that and definitely went some days where I didn't finish it daily. If you are super duper diligent or are willing to spend cash on medallions which raise 1k faction (I did this on the last day to put me over the hump), then you could do it a little faster for sure.

Meier

I got a Riding Turtle the other night from a Frostdeep Cavedweller. I was fishing in someone else's garrison and somehow miraculously got 3 minnows in a row right at the beginning. There was one other guy fishing who didn't have a level 3 shack clearly based on his catches. Anyhow, after awhile I finally threw one in and voila, got lucky.. not super sure how many I've tossed in total, but it's been a bunch. It has only a .4% drop rate apparently so I got quite fortunate.

What made it particularly lucky is the "raid leader" apparently had it on FFA loot and this other guy randomly jumped in and looted immediately on the next cavedweller that I summoned. I'd have been furious if he'd jacked my turtle!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Used my free level 90 on a Warrior, going to tank my way to 100. I haven't tanked since level 60.

Top Bottom