• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't get Frost Mage, I feel like I need to level one up to 60 to sort of understand how to play it.

A frost mage under lvl 60 does not have Frozen Orb, Brain Freeze(which makes your Frostfire Bolt instant once in a while) or the talents above lvl 60, so yeah, you're missing important stuff.

Not sure what you're not getting though. It's fairly simple... Spam Frostbolt, use Ice Lance and Frostfire bolt when you get procs, and cast Frozen Orb, Ice Nova and Comet Storm(if you chose the talents) on cooldown. But since you're missing more than half of this stuff under lvl 60... so, yeah. Too early for you to judge a spec. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My biggest hope for Legion is that with the PVP talents they'll be able to make all PVE DPS roughly comparable. Obviously different specs have their strengths in different modes, but like how you have to have gear to really be any good with fire is the worst.

I'm worried about having to level my warriors arms artifact for some trash fights and her fury ones for single target fights

My Mage is 100, I leveled Fire. I just added Frost as a secondary spec.

I don't understand what the basic rotations are supposed to be, and feel like I have too many abilities to worry about. Fire is much leaner, for lack of a better word. I feel like I need to level up a Frost Mage so I have the ability drip feed and time spent with the spec to figure things out.

Bisnic

I don't understand what the basic rotations are supposed to be, and feel like I have too many abilities to worry about. Fire is much leaner, for lack of a better word. I feel like I need to level up a Frost Mage so I have the ability drip feed and time spent with the spec to figure things out.

Just reread my post, i basically say what you have to do. Or you could read Icy Veins more detailed explanation.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

If you have Ice Barrier and Ice Ward, make sure those are up before fighting.

Single Target
Frost Bolt (repeat till procs)
Frostfire Bolt (w/ Brain Freeze proc)
Ice Lance (w/ Frost Fingers proc)

Multi Target
Open with Frozen Orb

Some variations:
If I'm fighting trash and I have the Ice Nova talent I will open with two of those. It usually kills any trash.
Frozen Orb is good to throw on a boss to start. The procs from that will allow you to spam Ice Lance.

Also wild guess here, but I bet melee hunter doesn't last past Legion. It'll go the way of Gladiator.

Based on the responses I've seen from people playing the alpha, I doubt it will go away.

Bisnic

If you have Ice Barrier and Ice Ward, make sure those are up before fighting.

Single Target

Multi Target
Open with Frozen Orb

Some variations:
If I'm fighting trash and I have the Ice Nova talent I will open with two of those. It usually kills any trash.
Frozen Orb is good to throw on a boss to start. The procs from that will allow you to spam Ice Lance.

Based on the responses I've seen from people playing the alpha, I doubt it will go away.

Good advice. I'll add to use Blizzard against huge trash groups if Ice Nova isn't enough.

Meier

Fuuuuuuu, I didn't realize the item I got from my garrison mission rerolled abilities AND traits. 😭😭😭😭 I just noticed abilities..Bye bye treasure hunter and whatever else Nat Pagle had.

ampere

Glad was a talent, the intention was that it was an experiment. I'd be really surprised if Survival goes back to being ranged, especially since they have been wanting to differentiate Hunter specs for years. And Hunters used to carry polearms and have a few different melee skills so it makes sense to bring that back a bit.

A tank spec having a talent that turns it into a dps is a lot different than a dps spec being overhauled.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If anything, Blizzard has proven that they want to get rid of stuff that classes used to have. By that logic, you'd be expecting a Bow Warrior or a Crossbow Rogue.

Eh, they could have ruled some out for warriors like the staff and daggers if that was the case.

The whole thing about CMs was supposed to be that you earned it by knowing how to play your class but giving all the WOD weapon CMs away to anyone that earned them once throws that out the window.

Thanks. Lady Orc. I was always a fan of the Tier 4 set and found it underused, so I went with the PVP recolor and use the two polearms from Dragon Soul. Works well enough.

Why? When you do it with one class you unlock all the weapons for purchase. More likely blizzard would have to do some additional coding to make the cm weapons stuck to one person. It's different than a set of armor in the cm window as everything is purchasable even if you don't have the proficiency.

I'm happy they're doing it this way. Now I don't have to do this with my priest and shaman. I've already done CMs on DK, warrior, paladin, rogue, lock and Mage. I'm burnt out.

The WoD CM weapons token to unlock all weapons regardless of class being used but not doing it for MOP CMs seems extra dumb

and I say that as someone with several MOP cm sets

Now I wish they'd do armor for everyone and keep it consistent. I didn't get my CM armor with my priest and I'm still irritated about it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Good advice. I'll add to use Blizzard against huge trash groups if Ice Nova isn't enough.

True that!

Frost Orb + 2 Ice Nova + Comet Storm + Blizzard would deliver some serious AoE deeps.

same exact thing said of glad

Right, but Gladiator was a talent that had a "spec" built around it. Same with Fistweaver. I can understand why Blizzard removed those two, but I hope Gladiator is brought back as a 4th spec.

Survival is a full spec. Each spec has a very distinct play style now. Before every spec for Hunter felt pretty much the same.

ZenaxPure

A tank spec having a talent that turns it into a dps is a lot different than a dps spec being overhauled.

Hell it goes deeper than that really, it's not that survival just had melee abilities and could use melee weapons, in vanilla the survival tree was 100% a melee spec with the final talent being a bleed ability that required a melee weapon. Only reason they changed it is because of Blizz's typical reaction to broken mechanics: completely remake it instead of iterating and fixing glaring problems (ironic obviously given that survival was still pretty much shit even after the redesign mid-vanilla).

The survival changes are what they should have done 10 years ago instead of going down the path they chose.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them start slowly pruning specs since they're experimenting with a two-spec class in the DH.

Unlikely unless they did a huge overall to the combat of WoW in general. The reason Demon Hunter has 2 specs is simply because they would have to radically change the established identity of the Demon Hunter in Warcraft if they wanted to give them another spec that wasn't melee focused which they thankfully don't want to do.

They are already dealing with classes like rogue/hunter where specs look the same on a surface level (hence why they are making 1 hunter spec melee and making it so rogue specs don't share any core abilities anymore) so it would be pretty counter intuitive to make a class with the same exact problem since a healing DH or ranged DH would be too much of a stretch.

So have the conquest changes actually gone through? Might resub to level my potential WoD mains and gear them up via skirmishes and then rando 2's since all my friends quit a year ago.

Meier

I used the Icy Veins guide and retooled my talents. Kind of amazing that a few changes really did make a big difference in terms of my DPS in the raids I ran last night. I still saw some hunters with inferior gear doing a good bit more than me though. I've always played a BM hunter, but it seems going MM or Survival and using that perk where if you don't use your pet you get the extra dmg is probably the 'best' option nowadays.

I got enough Rancorbite gear to have 4 pieces now, but the sad part is that the 4 piece bonus seems so useless, that I'll probably switch back to my Baleful gear that was rated higher in 2 slots. It's unbelievable that the "proc" only does around 1,200 damage on occasion.. what the fuck is the point?

ampere

So have the conquest changes actually gone through? Might resub to level my potential WoD mains and gear them up via skirmishes and then rando 2's since all my friends quit a year ago.

They're live, yes. BG bonus honor event is next week too, which is a great time to gear up characters.

strafer

My worst fears has come true.

A fucking Spider Mount

SpiderMount.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Thal'Dranath will show up during Legion, probably in 7.2

I WILL TAKE WAGERS.

ZenaxPure

Thal'Dranath will show up during Legion, probably in 7.2

I WILL TAKE WAGERS.

Pretty much, the thing with Farhlon is that it was one of many zones they said might come eventually. So far for Legion Thal is the only single promised zone, the only way it wouldn't come is if we did not get a single patch the entire expansion, which isn't very believable.

Tenebrous

I wonder what class that's for. Rogues?

That doomhammer is U G L Y

The DK artifacts for every spec are great.

Outlaw Rogues & WW Monks are the current guesses on MMO champ.

The prot warrior sword looks like a Wrath/Cata green. Never seen anything so shit in my life.

frontovik

Banned
I am somewhat inclined to resub for Legion due to the Artifact weapons (that Ashbringer), yet I know that every Paladin will be carrying one now, which ruins the dream.

I wish that Blizzard will bring back Corrupted Ashbringer somehow..

cdyhybrid

I am somewhat inclined to resub for Legion due to the Artifact weapons (that Ashbringer), yet I know that every Paladin will be carrying one now, which ruins the dream.

I wish that Blizzard will bring back Corrupted Ashbringer somehow..

I believe it's an alternate skin for the Artifact weapon.

For Mages I wish that they would do more than just jamming the model of a book through a closed fist. Just steal the Diablo 3 wizard pose, have an open palm with an arcane tome or focus floating in the air over the mages offhand. That would look one hundred times better than the current implementation.

Top Bottom