• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

cdyhybrid

Think I'm going to level up my Druid today. He's 60 but I don't want to deal with "world PVP" in Hellfire, so I'm probably just going to level up via dungeons until I hit 70 and can do Wrath.

Edit: There's a spider mount in Legion. WANT!

biaxident

Going through the Harrison quests on my 4th character really just brings up something warlords really missed out on. I really like the Harrison quests, but in Nagrand where you have all those elites everywhere which really serve no purpose besides trapping and some rep grinding, I feel they missed on an opportunity. Playing TERA a few years back and they had BAMs (Big ass monsters) and you could farm them for crazy xp and mats and they all took several minutes to beat and could easily kill you if you're not on your game. Would love for WoW to add in some active defensive mechanics on mobs like that in the world and actually make more content out of it. They have some rares where you have to avoid some abilities but once you out gear it it just dies. Having a rare that requires alot of coordination and never getting a hit by a super ability that takes several minutes and drop say a crap ton of apexis crystals or something or crafting mats. They'd have to do it in a way where you can just zerg it like the tanaan major rares though. I dunno, just thinking.

ZenaxPure

Start of MoP pretty much had that, and it was awesome. Until you outgeared them all those rares took a minute or so to kill and their special avoidable attacks would take a good 1/3 or 1/2 of your HP. Rewards were great too, I ended up spending the entire expansion farming them in my free time: Townlong ones dropped a crapload of crafting mats, jade forest ones dropped weapons you could use until dungeon weapons, and then there was a bunch special stuff like the helpful wikky, hozen peace pipe, reusable flask, wisdom elixir, and some other stuff.

Was awesome and it makes me sad they moved away from it, especially because of how trash tier every single WoD rare spawn was.

ZenaxPure

Soloing warbringers as my blood DK was a ton of fun, especially because it wasn't completely faceroll since all I did on him was LFR occasionally. It was just really intense pulling one and fighting it while a bunch of people strolled up waiting for you to fuck up and die so they could steal the kill. Reminded me of fighting green dragons in vanilla on a much smaller scale.

FFA tagging for rare spawns pretty much killed any fun you could have with them since it turned into a zerg. Wish they would split it in half or something and make some rare spawns group only and more mini-boss ones (like the whale or ghost ship on TI) FFA.

Think I'm going to level up my Druid today. He's 60 but I don't want to deal with "world PVP" in Hellfire, so I'm probably just going to level up via dungeons until I hit 70 and can do Wrath.

Edit: There's a spider mount in Legion. WANT!

Do you play on a PVP realm? In PVE you can skip that one quest to cap the three bases and still get the achievement for questing in Hellfire Peninsula. WoD funneling 100's into Outland with Halaa tokens may make the world PVP things un-doable but you can skip pretty much every one of those world pvp things in HFP, Zangarmarsh and Nagrand and still net the achievements for questingin those zones. Unless you're on a PVP realm in which case I can see why you would just dungeon queue.

cdyhybrid

Do you play on a PVP realm? In PVE you can skip that one quest to cap the three bases and still get the achievement for questing in Hellfire Peninsula. WoD funneling 100's into Outland with Halaa tokens may make the world PVP things un-doable but you can skip pretty much every one of those world pvp things in HFP, Zangarmarsh and Nagrand and still net the achievements for questingin those zones. Unless you're on a PVP realm in which case I can see why you would just dungeon queue.

I play on one of the biggest PVP realms.

Edit: Meanwhile, in Orgrimmar...

JTMdsMY.jpg

Tenebrous

Ticketed a GM to restore a character I deleted in 2008, and to my surprise, it was successful! Not only was it successful, but it had some nice goodies on it...

Well, kinda. It had 2x Recipe: Elixir of Greater Firepower in the bank, which seem to be fairly rare nowadays. Other than that, though, it's just your typical survival hunter in shit gear. Lord Alexander's Battle Axe with a fiery enchant... Fuck yeah!

So Moose runs on my server are being advertised for 30K, Alli side at least,I haven't been playing my Horde toon as much lately so I haven't been in trade as often. I imagine it's the same, or close enough. It was 35K Horde-side last time I saw it advertised.

So should I wait a bit to see if it drops lower or just hop on the next Moose train? 35K is pretty cheap for a mount when I think about it, compared to what others can go for.

Daniel R

Anyway, what's the addon that'll scan the Premade Groups for certain names/phrases? I've been teleporting throughout Tanaan for almost 20 hours now, at roughly 6 attempts an hour (given up arena resetting). This is shit design, honestly.

The add-on is called Cross Realm Assist.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So Moose runs on my server are being advertised for 30K, Alli side at least,I haven't been playing my Horde toon as much lately so I haven't been in trade as often. I imagine it's the same, or close enough. It was 35K Horde-side last time I saw it advertised.

So should I wait a bit to see if it drops lower or just hop on the next Moose train? 35K is pretty cheap for a mount when I think about it, compared to what others can go for.

Unless you have absolute garbage gear, there is no reason to be paying anything for a Heroic Arch kill.

I hate Captain Skyshatter so much. I guess I've got to shell out 4k for 310% flying, sigh. No idea how people completed this back in BC, I'm not sure if latency is an issue but I'll be right on top of him and then the quest fails out of nowhere. Very frustrating.

Lomax

I hate Captain Skyshatter so much. I guess I've got to shell out 4k for 310% flying, sigh. No idea how people completed this back in BC, I'm not sure if latency is an issue but I'll be right on top of him and then the quest fails out of nowhere. Very frustrating.

He was essentially impossible without every single mount buff and the paladin speed buff. Those buffs also stacked multiplicatively back then, so you're probably actually slower now even at 310. Really surprised they never nerfed it.

Unless you have absolute garbage gear, there is no reason to be paying anything for a Heroic Arch kill.

I want the moose mount and I don't raid. I'm not in a guild, I haven't bothered with the ring quest and I don't care about raid gear. It would be entirely for the mount.

Dot50Cal

Banned
My subs ends today. Not sure if to resub. I have 780k. But I've been just making gold this past two months. Boring.

Right there with ya, except 4.7mil. I'm done til Legion pre-patch. Finally getting into games I haven't played but bought over the past 4 years.

cdyhybrid

Can't decide whether I should leave my Rogue Undead or switch to Goblin. I mained an Undead Rogue most of Vanilla, and I like the whole Pirates of the Caribbean undead pirate vibe, but I don't have any Goblin characters.

Ultratech

Oh...THAT guy.

He gave me hell for a good day or two. Goddamn Meteors.

I beat him back in BC when you had to do that shit for the Whip.

Tried to bribe a Pally to help out w/the Mount Aura, but he ran off and I somehow ended up beating him anyways.

But yeah...not fun.

He was essentially impossible without every single mount buff and the paladin speed buff. Those buffs also stacked multiplicatively back then, so you're probably actually slower now even at 310. Really surprised they never nerfed it.

Oh...THAT guy.

He gave me hell for a good day or two. Goddamn Meteors.

I beat him back in BC when you had to do that shit for the Whip.

Tried to bribe a Pally to help out w/the Mount Aura, but he ran off and I somehow ended up beating him anyways.

But yeah...not fun.

Thanks guys. I feel stupid for still struggling with it, but damn. The other races were so easy compared to this one.

Also, CRZ has made farming for eggs nearly impossible. I should hit revered tomorrow, so hopefully it won't take me too much longer but eggs would make things go so much faster!

CRZ is a cancer that can't die soon enough... But Blizzard will double down without showing any regard to old content at all.

I agree. I hate CRZ with a fiery passion. Connected realms is totally fine and is something that should have been implemented long before they came up with CRZ.

ampere

Thanks guys. I feel stupid for still struggling with it, but damn. The other races were so easy compared to this one.

Also, CRZ has made farming for eggs nearly impossible. I should hit revered tomorrow, so hopefully it won't take me too much longer but eggs would make things go so much faster!

Yeah you aren't alone. I don't remember if I had trouble in WotLK, but doing it recently on my Monk was frustrating me so I ended up using a charge of my Checkered Flag (from Darkmoon Faire)

I agree. I hate CRZ with a fiery passion. Connected realms is totally fine and is something that should have been implemented long before they came up with CRZ.

CRZ was a really neat idea, and amazing technology, but yes it should have been scrapped once connected realms were introduced. CRZ makes a low pop realm have all of the downsides of a high pop realm, and none of the upsides.

Yeah you aren't alone. I don't remember if I had trouble in WotLK, but doing it recently on my Monk was frustrating me so I ended up using a charge of my Checkered Flag (from Darkmoon Faire)

CRZ was a really neat idea, and amazing technology, but yes it should have been scrapped once connected realms were introduced. CRZ makes a low pop realm have all of the downsides of a high pop realm, and none of the upsides.

I had no idea that existed. Thanks for linking that, if I don't win the race tomorrow morning with just 310% flying, I'll head to the Darkmoon Faire.

It definitely was amazing technology, but I'm one of those who really liked my medium-populated realm because it was more on the quiet side and I didn't have a lot of competition when leveling up for mobs/nodes/etc. CRZ absolutely killed the atmosphere on my friendly RP-PVE realm. :(

Do they just keep so many servers up and running because of their boom and bust business model? Keep all of those zombie realms running for when the next expansion and subscriber boom happens? I've played on a lower pop server and anything under 400K players really feels like a ghost town depending on what content you're trying to play through, even with connected realms and cross-realm zones. Anything with like 200K players or less should probably be merged.

Partly because of the boom and bust cycle, and partly marketing I think. People would have a field day if they ever announced they were shutting down servers, even if greater consolidation would be better for the game.

Though to be honest, most people should know by now to roll/transfer to higher pop realms if they're interested in end-game raiding/PvP/etc. They just might be soft locked in to realms that used to be alive.

I feel bad for whatever new players though (however many they get over a decade into the game's lifespan now) that don't have the advantage of knowing what realms are good ahead of time.

ZenaxPure

I play on a med pop server and expansion launches still have server queues for us, so I'd be pretty annoyed if our server was merged with yet another one (we were merged with a med pop at the very end of MoP).

Honestly though I prefer medium pop over high pop, make a lot more cash on my AH than I would on the high pop server I have a few alts on. And medium pop is about 1000000x better for questing (though this will be less of an issue in Legion). Played on a high pop for most of MoP and hated every second of it, really glad my friends felt the same way and xferred back to our home server by the time SoO came out.

Azzurri

How come they just didn't merge low level servers?

Anyways, I really want to boost a Shaman ( or Mage, Priest, Warrior) but there is no race in which I like that can be a shaman. On alliance I don't like Dwarf because they're too short, and and the dranai have tails and no boot. And on the Horde it's basically the same thing. The only race/gender that I think looks good is Orc Female because they look good in armor and have boots, and are not hunched over. First world problems :D

I played mage, pally, and warlock in Vanilla and raided with those 3 back then. I never played Shaman because I played Alliance back then. I just wish Blood Elf or Night Elf, or Human could be a Shaman.

Also, can you apply another WoD code to get the 90 boost even if you have WoD already?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't mind CRZ while lvling, it makes the world feel a little more alive, which is great.

It's when i do old world content on my high lvls that it starts to piss me off.
Farming for bones in the Isle of Giants? Hah! Good luck finding a dinosaur that still alive. Looking for that rare mob that drops a mount? Might as well forget about it because there is already 10 people looking for it or camping their spawn point(s).

Lomax

Server hoping causes the old world and rares problems, not crz. Every single time I hop there are people in that group hunting warbringers or farming isle of giants.

I never cared about the world feeling alive, haha. I definitely like playing with other people, but when I'm questing I don't much care if I see another soul while I'm running around trying to get shit done. But I might be especially bitter right now since I can't find any damn Netherwing Eggs. :p

I also much prefer medium population realms. My alliance shaman is in my friend's guild on Proudmoore and I am really, really not looking forward to Legion's launch. I'll probably level my horde characters first as a result. Hyjal's pretty populated but it's nowhere as bad as Proudmoore.

Well I'm sure the main reason was to keep people from screaming that the sky is falling because they're merging dead servers. Merging servers means dead game in the eyes of today's gaming community which is completely stupid. Blizzard should've went through with mergers instead of this CRZ tech.

ZenaxPure

Well I'm sure the main reason was to keep people from screaming that the sky is falling because they're merging dead servers. Merging servers means dead game in the eyes of today's gaming community which is completely stupid. Blizzard should've went through with mergers instead of this CRZ tech.

Er, they have merged servers. They've merged a lot of them in fact. They just did it in such a way that they could skirt past the usual sky is falling PR that comes with server merges.

The real question is why haven't merged any recently, and that I don't know. Probably has to do with some of the stuff mentioned above.

Eklipsis

I've always wished I would have rolled a Horde in the first place so, I made a couple horde toons and so far it's fun but the major cities confuse the crap out of me!

VoS is where everyone congregates.

Also why is Escape From Durnholde even in the Dungeon Finder rotation? That dungeon is so awful, so much dead time where you earn no exp and wait for slow Thrall to slowly do things.

I really hope that if Legion's level scaling is a success that it's something that gets applied to the game on a whole.

Lomax

VoS is where everyone congregates.

Also why is Escape From Durnholde even in the Dungeon Finder rotation? That dungeon is so awful, so much dead time where you earn no exp and wait for slow Thrall to slowly do things.

I really hope that if Legion's level scaling is a success that it's something that gets applied to the game on a whole.

Just be glad it isn't in the timewalking rotation.

It's bad enough The Black Morass is.

Durnholde is fucking awful and for some reason I played it more than BC dungeons from 58-68 in the not-so-random dungeon finder. I'm not touching the dungeon finder until after a bit of questing through Northrend. I understand Durnholde being accessible via the Caverns of Time but it really, really, really should not be in the dungeon finder. The huuuuuuuuuge gaps in between which anything meaningful occurs, the fact that riding your ground mount is faster than riding the flying dragons, the missable quest turn-in with Thrall, the clunky NPC reset after it deviates from its scripted path, Thralls Vanilla level riding speed. It's just bad.

I would rather level a toon through BC questing content than risk ever playing through Durnholde again.

Top Bottom