• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Hey guys, random question here, but I need some quick help. Does anyone know if this area already exist in game? I know it's kind of based off of Blackrock Foundry(I think), but I'm just curious. I'd normally know myself but I haven't played for three years.

wowx5-artwork-072-full.jpg

I know there are some look a like things in the game probably, but I'm more worried about an exact replica area. Any help is appreciated!

cdyhybrid

Hey guys, random question here, but I need some quick help. Does anyone know if this area already exist in game? I know it's kind of based off of Blackrock Foundry(I think), but I'm just curious. I'd normally know myself but I haven't played for three years.

I know there are some look a like things in the game probably, but I'm more worried about an exact replica area. Any help is appreciated!
Looks like Blackrock Foundry on the way to Flamebender.

I'm working on becoming a game environment artist and one piece of advice I got a lot is that I need to work off of a piece of concept art, since that's what I'll usually be doing in a studio. One thing that looks really good is if you create something that the main studio wasn't able to create.

Basically I'd be retreading old ground, not that it would necessarily be a bad thing. I'd rather work off of something that doesn't fully exist though. I'll just have to keep looking for a nice piece of concept art but I'm not sure how to get some that wasn't used in game.

cdyhybrid

I'm working on becoming a game environment artist and one piece of advice I got a lot is that I need to work off of a piece of concept art, since that's what I'll usually be doing in a studio. One thing that looks really good is if you create something that the main studio wasn't able to create.

Basically I'd be retreading old ground, not that it would necessarily be a bad thing. I'd rather work off of something that doesn't fully exist though. I'll just have to keep looking for a nice piece of concept art but I'm not sure how to get some that wasn't used in game.
A lot of stuff that happened chronologically previous to the Warcraft games remains unexplored in-game. There's a lot of stuff out there right now because Blizzard just released the Warcraft Chronicles book covering that stuff, including some awesome art. You could also look into some South Seas stuff (Kul Tiras, Zandalar, etc.) - although Kul Tiras was in WC3 IIRC.

ZenaxPure

BRF was WOD's best raid. Not that that's an incredibly high bar, but yeah. Highmaul was too brown and HFC is all black and green.

It was a cool raid for sure, it also made some really fun fights with very basic don't stand in the fire mechanics (Thogar and Hans/Franz). CHOO CHOO.

Maybe check out the chronicle? The artwork in there isn't exactly concept art for the game but there are a lot of locations in there that don't exist in the game proper.

Robin64

Dragon Isles concept art never came to anything aside from a rough untextured alpha model in a beta patch in a developers map.

go8CuDp.jpg

N'zoth gonna be revealed in hearthstone eventually so we'll know what he looks like/sounds like.

Dunno what they will do with Y'shaarj, just use his heart or make new art of his depiction on the mural in Heart of Fear

ZenaxPure

It really is. Need a tropical South Seas expansion next.

Kinda curious what their plan is for all that. Seeing them take such a small location (relatively speaking) like the Broken Isles (which on the chronicle map is only about as big as Howling Fjord, Jade Forest, or Azshara) and turn it into an entire expansion location makes me curious if they would do the same for Zandalar. It isn't that much smaller than the Broken Isles and much like the Isles they've never talked about all the locations of Zandalar (even in the now non-cannon RPG books) which gives them free reign for designing zones. Only thing we really know about Zandalar is that the cataclysm fucked up the island pretty bad apparently.

Used to be worried about them cramming a lot of those locations into one expansion but seeing them go really deep with the Broken Isles makes me hopeful more pieces of the great sea/south seas will get a similar treatment.

Man, the Black Empire would be amazing to see rendered in game. That place is insane.

Though, I find it kind of hilarious. Where are those stones the people are pulling coming from? It just ramps down into nothing!

given what illidan was doing in the black temple [NOVEL SPOILERS]
with his plans to recreate the portals that tore apart draenor so he could go to argus and kill KJ and archimonde permanently
i imagine he'll be leading the charge into the next expansion on another planet

ZenaxPure

given what illidan was doing in the black temple [NOVEL SPOILERS]
with his plans to recreate the portals that tore apart draenor so he could go to argus and kill KJ and archimonde permanently
i imagine he'll be leading the charge into the next expansion on another planet

This is what I am thinking as well. Especially considering the demon hunter starting experience (not really spoilers but I will tag just in case one person cares)
is all about getting the Sargerite Keystone which can be used to open a portal to any Legion owned world
. There is no way that is not setup for a future expansion.

Noooooooooo. Please not another Troll zone in Legion.

Just gonna say the chances of Zandalar being in Legion is incredibly low. Especially when we know their plan right now for future Legion zones is another island in the Broken Isle chain (Thal'dranath).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Legion is going to be such a ridiculously melee heavy expansion at the start if you think about all the changes/artifact weapons.

Well, ability to sub without spending actual money has pulled me back in. Have a new baby so any serious raiding is out, going to casual it up. One more week of BRF LFR to finish up that portion of the ring quest, and will see if I burn out on the next section or not (very likely I will).

Timewalking event was fun, except for people getting lost on the Pit of Saron corpse run...

Ostinatto

I wanna ignore a real id friend,

-how can i do it?
-he will see me when i go online or offline?
-he can whisper me with any of his alts?

Fjordson

There is good stuff in there. The two that come to my head immediately:

Zuldazar, capital of Zandalar

And the Black Empire

Maybe a bit elaborate but still good for general ideas.
Yeah, the Chronicle book is awesome.

I really can't get enough of the Warcraft universe / lore tbh. Just going through new zones and questlines each expansion will have me playing until the day Blizz shuts WoW down lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Legion is going to be such a ridiculously melee heavy expansion at the start if you think about all the changes/artifact weapons.
What about artifact weapons and what specific changes would make the game more melee heavy?

Micapo

PSA: Using an Elixir of Ancient Knowledge on a PvP server can lead to great frustration.
I beat the pet battle trainer just outside the hall of earth or whatever it's called in Deepholm while in a queue for a timewalking dungeon.

Noticed that I'd get in the dungeon any second so I popped the elixir, 300% XP buff get! Turned in the pet battle daily and was about to accept the dungeon queue when boooom, lvl 100 lock one shots me and I die with over 59 minutes left of the buff which was lost upon death.

cdyhybrid

PSA: Using an Elixir of Ancient Knowledge on a PvP server can lead to great frustration.
I beat the pet battle trainer just outside the hall of earth or whatever it's called in Deepholm while in a queue for a timewalking dungeon.

Noticed that I'd get in the dungeon any second so I popped the elixir, 300% XP buff get! Turned in the pet battle daily and was about to accept the dungeon queue when boooom, lvl 100 lock one shots me and I die with over 59 minutes left of the buff which was lost upon death.
Why not just pop it inside?

Micapo

Ah. Yeah, that's the risk you take.

PVP servers are pointless.

Agree completely.

Transfered my main to a PvE server a little before WoD after playing on PvP servers since vanilla and it's just so much better. Haven't had fun with world PvP since isle of quel'danas in tbc.

This is an old alt that I still have on a PvP server as the transfer costs are ridiculous but if/when I make a new alt, I'll definitely make and play that on a PvE server

cdyhybrid

Agree completely.

Transfered my main to a PvE server a little before WoD after playing on PvP servers since vanilla and it's just so much better. Haven't had fun with world PvP since isle of quel'danas in tbc.

This is an old alt that I still have on a PvP server as the transfer costs are ridiculous but if/when I make a new alt, I'll definitely make and play that on a PvE server
I play on a PVP server because that's where my friends play. Fortunately it's completely one-sided and I rarely see any of the opposite faction.

World PVP died when BGs were introduced.

Pvp realms were great fun during classic where everyone was leveling the first time. Nowadays it's just hit and runs from some higher level on a flying mount from a different server.

Robin64

Running down a path in Ashenvale and pausing as you see an enemy player ahead, at roughly the same level, also pausing because he spotted you.. Great moment in gaming.

Running down a path in Ashenvale and havin a bored level 100 drop down and one shot you.. Terrible moment in gaming.

Tenebrous

Only if you're the type that ganks low levels for fun.

I'm not.

Running down a path in Ashenvale and pausing as you see an enemy player ahead, at roughly the same level, also pausing because he spotted you.. Great moment in gaming.

Running down a path in Ashenvale and havin a bored level 100 drop down and one shot you.. Terrible moment in gaming.

This is true.

I sometimes ride about in Tanaan just to pick a fight.

Top Bottom