• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Fjordson

My main server is technically like 95% alliance or something crazy, but I still see horde in older zones thanks to Cross-Realm. Pandaria is also cross-realm now.

It's fun. Even getting ganked is part of the fun to me in some weird way lol. I've always played on a PvP realm realm so being worried about horde when you're out in the world just feels like an intrinsic part of the game at this point.

ampere

Running down a path in Ashenvale and pausing as you see an enemy player ahead, at roughly the same level, also pausing because he spotted you.. Great moment in gaming.

Running down a path in Ashenvale and havin a bored level 100 drop down and one shot you.. Terrible moment in gaming.

Yes. But if you raise this point many folks just say "lol idiot y u roll on pvp server dumass it's PVP". Flying mounts and ever increasing player levels make world pvp mostly ganking/griefing

cdyhybrid

Yes. But if you raise this point many folks just say "lol idiot y u roll on pvp server dumass it's PVP". Flying mounts and ever increasing player levels make world pvp mostly ganking/griefing
People point out the rare evenly-matched world PVP encounter as an argument, but there's nothing preventing that on a PVE server.

Tenebrous

You know you don't need to ride around Tanaan to find PVP right?

True but organized PvP is so... Bleurgh. Jumping down as a prot warrior into a small group of people & surviving for 2 minutes straight with PvE gear is a lot more fun.

Don't see why PvP servers are pointless but PvE servers aren't. Jumping into random fights, having spontenous brawls at the HFC summoning stones expand into 20+ people, helping others who you can see getting ganked... It's all good.

People point out the rare evenly-matched world PVP encounter as an argument, but there's nothing preventing that on a PVE server.

Cowardice does >.>

Azzurri

What are your guys thought on the 'pruning' of abilities. It seems like there is a big outcry on the alpha forums.

I have not played since the vanilla/BC days, but it feels to me that every class can basically do everything, and this wasn't the case back in the day. I remember when you wanted a classes because it was special for a couple things, and so on and so forth, but after playing some classes it seems like every class has a self heal, CC, Stun, ect. It kinda feels like WildStar in a way with builders and sependers, and a stun which every class has.

I know they want to bring back the uniqueness they had, so will see if if they can gt close to what it was.

cdyhybrid

True but organized PvP is so... Bleurgh. Jumping down as a prot warrior into a small group of people & surviving for 2 minutes straight with PvE gear is a lot more fun.

Don't see why PvP servers are pointless but PvE servers aren't. Jumping into random fights, having spontenous brawls at the HFC summoning stones expand into 20+ people, helping others who you can see getting ganked... It's all good.

Cowardice does >.>
So why do you need the ability to fight someone who doesn't want to PVP if you aren't ganking? :3

ZenaxPure

Yes. But if you raise this point many folks just say "lol idiot y u roll on pvp server dumass it's PVP".

Because it's true. People have moaned about lowbie ganking on pvp servers since vanilla, long before flying mounts were ever a thing. Especially in an era when dishonorable kills were a thing some people actually farmed purely for entertainment (and low level zones were the perfect place to farm them).

Tenebrous

So why do you need the ability to fight someone who doesn't want to PVP if you aren't ganking? :3

If they didn't wanna PvP they shouldn't have rolled on a PvP server. I don't attack people lower than myself, and I don't attack people after killing them the first time. If I'm leveling & I see someone, I attack - It's a great break from doing quests.

PvP servers forever. PvE servers... Even the colour of the zone text I've seen in vids online... The very idea of rolling on one just makes me sad.

cdyhybrid

If they didn't wanna PvP they shouldn't have rolled on a PvP server. I don't attack people lower than myself, and I don't attack people after killing them the first time. If I'm leveling & I see someone, I attack - It's a great break from doing quests.

PvP servers forever. PvE servers... Even the colour of the zone text I've seen in vids online... The very idea of rolling on one just makes me sad.
So what it comes down to is you want to enable gankers. That's fine, it's your prerogative. Because there's nothing you can do on a PVP server that can't be done on a PVE server other than ganking.

Tenebrous

So what it comes down to is you want to enable gankers. That's fine, it's your prerogative. Because there's nothing you can do on a PVP server that can't be done on a PVE server other than ganking.

Well, of course. If you just wanna quest in peace, level up, do some outdoor content and whatetver else, PvE servers are awesome. If you want, potentially, a little bit of spice in your life, then PvP servers are awesome.

cdyhybrid

Well, of course. If you just wanna quest in peace, level up, do some outdoor content and whatetver else, PvE servers are awesome. If you want, potentially, a little bit of spice in your life, then PvP servers are awesome.
I don't consider ganking to be spice, that's the thing :p

It's fine though, Blizzard has done such a fine job running PVP into the ground (especially world PVP) that I don't have to worry about it 99% of the time.

Lomax

NA token prices seem to be spiking, might have hit zero supply again. Probably worth watching because the last big spike was followed by a crash.

cdyhybrid

MggrzFb.png

Hmmm...

Need more urban settings in PVP.

NA token prices seem to be spiking, might have hit zero supply again. Probably worth watching because the last big spike was followed by a crash.

Need to pick up some soon anyway as my current token sub expires on April 24. Hopefully there's a crash, cause I lost like 45k in gambling this week, along with 50k on an Unclaimed Container at the BMAH which contained...a 705 tanking ring.

Wow that price i crazy, this the highest it's ever been for us?

According to wowtoken.info, we peaked at like 55k.

Also, vote for Gilneas for PvP, or something :p

In other news, apparently another alpha invite wave went out today. Still nothing for me though :(
cry.gif

Lomax

Wow that price i crazy, this the highest it's ever been for us?

No they spiked up to almost 60k one day before plummeting back down to 27k, which is the cheapest they've been in the last six months or so. If something similar happens again it may be a good chance to buy. The recent prices staying in the 40k range is the highest it's stayed steadily though.

Fjordson

Damn I just found out Warriors can transmog 2H axes and swords and whatnot into staves. That's a recent change right?

Just saw someone with dual Twin Pact transmog. Looked awesome.

ampere

Because it's true. People have moaned about lowbie ganking on pvp servers since vanilla, long before flying mounts were ever a thing. Especially in an era when dishonorable kills were a thing some people actually farmed purely for entertainment (and low level zones were the perfect place to farm them).

It was different when "realms" meant something. If there was a jackass rogue who kept ganking you in STV, you could get help and they'd either still be there or be in another zone. With CRZ, realm hopping, flying mounts, short hearth CD... people just vanish into thin air.

My main complaint always comes back to CRZ honestly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Traitoring on my warrior to a dwarf since
I dislike all the lore figures left on the Horde side and Alliance is getting Magni back
and I could just use a fresh perspective because I've mained Horde since BC.

Good PVE server suggestion? Whatever the Alliance equivalent of Zul'jin would be would be good. Stormrage seems a little too popular.

cdyhybrid

Should be able to hit 100 on my Druid tomorrow night. Get full PVP gear by the weekend, and then just need to wait for a WOD dungeon weekend to grind out Laughing Skull rep for the masks to start on my Witch Doctor/Balance Druid transmog.

Traitoring on my warrior to a dwarf since
I dislike all the lore figures left on the Horde side and Alliance is getting Magni back
and I could just use a fresh perspective because I've mained Horde since BC.

Good PVE server suggestion? Whatever the Alliance equivalent of Zul'jin would be would be good. Stormrage seems a little too popular.

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us

Looks like Kel'thuzad and Proudmoore are your next best choices if Sargeras and Stormrage are too crowded for you.

Proudmoore is a pretty massive Alli PVE server, westcoast though.

What are your guys thought on the 'pruning' of abilities. It seems like there is a big outcry on the alpha forums.

I have not played since the vanilla/BC days, but it feels to me that every class can basically do everything, and this wasn't the case back in the day. I remember when you wanted a classes because it was special for a couple things, and so on and so forth, but after playing some classes it seems like every class has a self heal, CC, Stun, ect. It kinda feels like WildStar in a way with builders and sependers, and a stun which every class has.

I know they want to bring back the uniqueness they had, so will see if if they can gt close to what it was.

As someone who started with WoD, I would rather go play a MOBA than play WoW PVP. Gear matters, racials matter, it's hard to visually read when starting out because so many races can be so many different classes and so many abilities get thrown your way it takes a bit to figure out what's what. Legion PVP sounds super appealing by virtue of eliminating the gear wall.

Robin64

Magni is getting de-crystaled
?
I'm torn between reading more and letting it go until launch.

Legion spoiler:
The upgraded Ashbringer says "Magni Bronzebeard forged the original Ashbringer, and he can forge it anew to make it stronger than ever."

So, complete noob question: What should I take into account when picking a server to start a new character?

Other than a level 10 character from one year ago that was mostly used as a single player experience for a few days, I have nothing. The game chose the realm for me, one of those near empty servers for "new players". I don't have any friends who play, and if they do it it's on pirate servers. The only "friends of a friend" that I know who play regularly, I've been recommended about not even letting them know I have an account as they are the kind of players who... well, they are the poopsock stereotype. Badly.

Tenebrous

Play on a populated realm (if you're in the US, make sure it's an east coast realm if you're that side of the country, or a west coast realm if you're the other side).

Ignore any real which says new/low/medium. Find a realm which is high population, check on here with some gaffers (someone will probably play there), and make your toon. Enjoy!

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, complete noob question: What should I take into account when picking a server to start a new character?

Other than a level 10 character from one year ago that was mostly used as a single player experience for a few days, I have nothing. The game chose the realm for me, one of those near empty servers for "new players". I don't have any friends who play, and if they do it it's on pirate servers. The only "friends of a friend" that I know who play regularly, I've been recommended about not even letting them know I have an account as they are the kind of players who... well, they are the poopsock stereotype. Badly.

Assuming you are in the US
Check here: http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us

Avoid the servers that are in the top 10 or so, as those are too populated and could ruin your enjoyment, especially the PVP Servers. I'm on realm 16 on that list (Turalyon) and it's perfect.

ampere

Drove the bid for the White polar bear up to 694000, because I knew I would lose it anyway.

wtf

It's a reward from a WotLK daily, that's an insane price to pay for it. I think last time it was up on my BMAH it sold for 40k

Wake up, see that NA tokens dropped in price, go to log on and grab a couple, see eight hours of maintenence. Da fuck?

There's a mini-patch today. 6.2.4, just backend stuff

ZenaxPure

Finally adding Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 to the launcher?

I think they're upgrading some of the features of the battle.net app? Not with this patch but I think this is laying some of the ground work. Like as an example I think I read voice chat is coming back as an integrated feature, but then again that might have been me having a fever dream because that sounds frankly ridiculous.

ampere

I think they're upgrading some of the features of the battle.net app? Not with this patch but I think this is laying some of the ground work. Like as an example I think I read voice chat is coming back as an integrated feature, but then again that might have been me having a fever dream because that sounds frankly ridiculous.

It is coming back, but as a Battle.net level feature. It's not a bad idea to have voice chat support especially with a game like Overwatch coming, though it'll be hard to beat the options that are already available.

Top Bottom