• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

0h5hoUL.png

And there we are! Official N'zoth art.
Giant octopus. I'm okay with this.

I'm having such shitty luck finding a good guild for my Horde characters this expansion. Maybe I should just wait until Legion drops to find a home for them, since so many guilds seem volatile right now. I'm just looking to raid 2 days a week, so maybe that's part of it as so many guilds seem to raid 3 days a week (even at this point in the expansion).

Sidenote, has anyone received their Chronicle Vol 1 yet? I'm curious to see how you like it, I'm considering ordering one.

Lomax

I know long maintenance is much less common these days, but when my account says 3 hours remaining and it will all be completely wasted, it really makes me think that erosion of time should freeze while the game is offline. With the introduction of the token a lot more people now are paying "by the hour" instead of just a continual subscription, and those hours at least feel like they have more value now.

Also, I realized that last night's spike coincided exactly with when the tokens for when the huge spike four months ago would be due, so we're clearly still seeing some ripple effects from that day. Seeing token prices frozen at their lowest price in a couple months just mocks me right now though.

ZenaxPure

Getting mine delivered on Thursday. Everyone seems to like it though.

Amazon said mine would be delivered either yesterday or today, but this morning it was pushed back to Friday.

Amazon pls

I know long maintenance is much less common these days, but when my account says 3 hours remaining and it will all be completely wasted, it really makes me think that erosion of time should freeze while the game is offline.

This has always bugged me too. Never understood why if the game was in an unplayable state your game time continued to run out.

Robin64

Amazon said mine would be delivered on the 23rd and then it arrived on the 19th. Fine by me!

The book is amazing. Not just the art, which is brilliant, but the level of detail about how the universe works is astonishing. You even get a rough idea of what existed before the universe did and why everything came into existence.

Amazon said mine would be delivered either yesterday or today, but this morning it was pushed back to Friday.

Amazon pls
I got the last one from Target online so I could use my discounts. Took them a while to get it shipped too but I only put in the order last Thursday. Guess they made this a bit limited.

Amazon said mine would be delivered on the 23rd and then it arrived on the 19th. Fine by me!

The book is amazing. Not just the art, which is brilliant, but the level of detail about how the universe works is astonishing. You even get a rough idea of what existed before the universe did and why everything came into existence.

Sounds fantastic. Thanks everyone who responded; looks like Amazon has some in stock so I'll put my order in.

Lorewise, what books should I start with? I have a bunch of the cata-era books that I haven't read yet (Thrall, The Shattering, etc.) I've played the game since Vanilla but I'm such a lore-noob and I'd like to fix that.

I'm thinking of race changing my shaman from an orc to a dwarf. I'm aware of the lore for shamans but dwarf seems to make the most sense seeing as how that race was made from Azeroth itself.

Zackat

I got chronicle on release day. It is worth it for the art alone, the lore is just icing on the cake. Can't wait for volume 2.

ZenaxPure

Lorewise, what books should I start with? I have a bunch of the cata-era books that I haven't read yet (Thrall, The Shattering, etc.) I've played the game since Vanilla but I'm such a lore-noob and I'd like to fix that.

My usual answer is to find a character/event/time period/location you find the most interesting and find a corresponding book, but with the release of the chronicle I think the best thing to do now is read that and then anything you want to know more about seek out books from there. Like for example The War of the Ancients is presumably covered in the Chronicle but certainly not as detailed as the book trilogy about the event which is like 1000 pages or so.

I will say for the more recent novels those are a time and place thing imho. They typically tie into the events that are happening in the game at the time (basically expansion or patch launches) and give more backstory to said events. Reading them past their launch is fine if you want more information but a large part of the enjoyment is how they tie into the game. Like for example The Shattering is by and far my favorite book but a lot of that is because of the pre-cata world events. They are directly tied into the book and many events of the book occur because of what we do in the quests. Like the Tablet Magni uses in the book that transforms him into stone is recovered and delivered to Iron Forge by us the player in one of the quest chains.

Pretty much any of the books that take place in modern Azeroth are structured that way, they have direct ties to what is going on in the game. So with that said right now might be the perfect time to read the new Illidan book, I bet the demon hunter quests in Legion will tie into it directly and the book will give you more context about the situation.

Ark

This game is a actual crack. I returned last August after five years, quit after three months because there was nothing to do, and now I've been playing non-stop for three weeks now.

I've levelled a fury warrior and I'm loving it, I'm farming old raids/mounts, I joined a casual raiding guild raiding two nights a week. I'm even levelling a priest! I mean God dammit, how?!

I think it's because I'm so hyped for Legion, but I'm just enjoying all the positive aspects of this game right now. It's weird.

cdyhybrid

This game is a actual crack. I returned last August after five years, quit after three months because there was nothing to do, and now I've been playing non-stop for three weeks now.

I've levelled a fury warrior and I'm loving it, I'm farming old raids/mounts, I joined a casual raiding guild raiding two nights a week. I'm even levelling a priest! I mean God dammit, how?!

I think it's because I'm so hyped for Legion, but I'm just enjoying all the positive aspects of this game right now. It's weird.
WOD is great if you're not too worried about new content ;)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
WOD is great if you're not too worried about new content ;)

If by "great" you mean having multiple garrisons to make you rich and also being lvl 100, which means easier to solo old raids, then yes, WOD is great!

Which is about all I do these days(other than Timewalking dungeons). HFC & Tanann Jungle, the latest content patch, was released when again? June 2015?

Pretty much any of the books that take place in modern Azeroth are structured that way, they have direct ties to what is going on in the game. So with that said right now might be the perfect time to read the new Illidan book, I bet the demon hunter quests in Legion will tie into it directly and the book will give you more context about the situation.

Thanks for the excellent reply, Zenax. I'll start with Chronicle once I receive it and then pick up the Illidan book. Then I'll start on the Cata-era books I have, since I didn't play as much in Cata. The lore is amazing and I'm hoping to actually pay attention to quests when Legion drops instead of blowing through them like I usually do.

Not quite ready for Legion yet being on the cusp of 13/13M + mounts to farm. But other than that I'm pretty much over WoD aside from free garrison gold.

I'm probably tuning out almost completely once I get my mount until Legion.

Though I do have CMs to finish/buy as well.

WoD content wise, I only have the 500 Goblin and 500 Troll kills left that I feel like I actually want to shoot for (not doing Mythics)

So after that...will probably just amass gold and try and farm some battle pets/mounts

cdyhybrid

Not quite ready for Legion yet being on the cusp of 13/13M + mounts to farm. But other than that I'm pretty much over WoD aside from free garrison gold.

I'm probably tuning out almost completely once I get my mount until Legion.

Though I do have CMs to finish/buy as well.
Don't worry, you still have another 6 months.

Lomax

I had polar bears on like four different characters, it really isn't a rare drop at all. What amazed me the most was when I saw someone pay a max bid for the Stonecore drake, either they have really terrible luck or it was a late night mistake thinking it was the Aeonaxx mount. That and the people who routinely pay three times as much for Brawler's guild invites as they are on the regular AH.

Just keep trying, last time it bottomed out like this I was still able to buy a couple. Haven't tried yet today though.

Been trying for like the past half hour. Nada. Gone up to 36k+ now too.

Edit: Got 1 to go through, but people must be snapping whatever gets put up like mad. 1 minute CD on attempting to buy too.

Lomax

Been trying for like the past half hour. Nada. Gone up to 36k+ now too.

Edit: Got 1 to go through, but people must be snapping whatever gets put up like mad. 1 minute CD on attempting to buy too.

It let me pay to reactivate at the 36k rate but the AH is telling me none available.

Edit: yeah that one minute cooldown sucks. What's sad is 36k really isn't even that cheap, but it just feels like the price is going to continue to increase from here on out up through Legion.

Ok; I've been looking at the server list. I was also advised to look for servers with at least 50% of players in the same faction I'm going to choose.

I was recommended Draenor (PVE) for EU english, although it would be a problem playing as Alliance, seeing the number. Damn, this is complicated for sure. The rule of avoiding the Top 10 also applies to EU servers?

Lomax

Ok; I've been looking at the server list. I was also advised to look for servers with at least 50% of players in the same faction I'm going to choose.

I was recommended Draenor (PVE) for EU english, although it would be a problem playing as Alliance, seeing the number. Damn, this is complicated for sure. The rule of avoiding the Top 10 also applies to EU servers?

Be aware that the server list given there is based on population with raid progress, not overall population. So if you come to a server like Dalaran, you'll find a huge population, but it's largely newer players without raid progress. That has advantages and disadvantages. And a server with tons of raid progression may also have a larger number of players who have stopped playing or cut back at this phase in the expansion.

Basically, it's impossible to know what will work out for you which is why ideally you'd want to go to a place where you already know some people.

Robin64

Where does Chronicle Vol. 1 end story-wise? Beginning of WarCraft 1?

Even Medivh himself was unaware that Sargeras was still hiding within his soul, subtly twisting his every thought and action to a much darker end. At long last, the fallen titan had found the perfect instrument with which to begin the Legion's next invasion of Azeroth.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Ended up being able to grab 3 tokens today. One for ~36k, the other two for ~37k.

Wanted a couple more to last me at least till Legion, but that's probably good enough for now.

Gummy

Neo Member
First post on GAF after lurking for years, looking forward to experiencing Legion with y'all.

After WoD, it isn't surprising to see so much negativity on the official forums and mmo-champion, but I think most of the systems being implemented in Legion will be excellent.

Anyways, I quit right after BRF dropped, which was an impressive raid. Is HFC worth taking a look at?

cdyhybrid

First post on GAF after lurking for years, looking forward to experiencing Legion with y'all.

After WoD, it isn't surprising to see so much negativity on the official forums and mmo-champion, but I think most of the systems being implemented in Legion will be excellent.

Anyways, I quit right after BRF dropped, which was an impressive raid. Is HFC worth taking a look at?
Sure, it's a cool raid.

Lomax

Ended up being able to grab 3 tokens today. One for ~36k, the other two for ~37k.

Wanted a couple more to last me at least till Legion, but that's probably good enough for now.

I didn't have the means to keep checking so I only got the one that reactivated my account for 36k. Back over 38k now, I'm hoping it will hover up and down around there for a little while, might snag a couple if it dips back down to 37k. Though I guess I should stock up at some point soon because it does seem like the increase is pretty continual these days.

ampere

Came across a character with some pretty nifty trinkets:
"Coin of Many Faces" & "Jewel of Hellfire" .. I've always found transformation items to be quirky and fun. Are there any others out there from MoP/WoD worth getting?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=128807/coin-of-many-faces#comments
http://www.wowhead.com/item=127668/jewel-of-hellfire#comments

There are... a ton. Hard to list them all, but check wowhead's toy guide http://www.wowhead.com/guides/vanity-collections/toy-box

Just got a surprise at my doorstep. Chronicle arrived two days early! Can't wait to go through this.

Nice, should get mine this week

Top Bottom