• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, what does WoWGAF think of the rumoured June 30th release date?

I was expecting July and felt I was being generous with that so that lines up for me.

Some think later, but the alpha is so far along and they really, REALLY need to get it out close to the movie launch as possible. Because the zeitgeist from the movie, if it does well, will end fairly fast.

ampere

That's what I've said for months now, however, it does make sense... It's far enough out of the way of Overwatch & close enough to the Warcraft movie to both avoid impacting ones sales & ride high off the back of another.

Timing-wise you aren't wrong

It just won't be ready

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm going to go through and finish loremaster before I faction change to Alliance to get ready for Legion.

I think I'll go to Proudmoore.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm going to go through and finish loremaster before I faction change to Alliance to get ready for Legion.

I think I'll go to Proudmoore.
Maybe it's just my imagination, but during cross server stuff it feels like players from Proudmoore are regularly below the standard skill level.

ZenaxPure

Just random ramblings, but:

Firstly no fucking clue when the expansion will be out, testing has been all over the place. Dungeons are more or less done (there is supposed to be one more I'm pretty sure but it's never been on the alpha progress chart) but we're still waiting on the new challenge mode system. Raids I have no idea what is going on with, they've been testing fights since almost the start of alpha which seems weird to me but I'm not a dev so what do I know.

For zones we're still missing Azsuna, Suramar, and the Broken Shore. Azsuna art seems mostly complete(?) but the quests aren't there yet. Broken Shore to my knowledge is just a 40 man scenario right? The art for it seems close to final as well. Suramar is the big question mark to me, not sure what that zone is supposed to be outside of raids/dungeons but Blizzard has said it is a max level zone of some sort. Either way, every alpha video I've seen showing it off makes it look like it is no where near done on an art level - not even time to start thinking about the gameplay aspect of it.

Still missing 2 specs as well but I get the feeling those will be coming sooner rather than later. They're testing the new honor system right now as well but I assume in the grand scheme of things that feature probably didn't take a lot of time to create.

Obviously that doesn't cover everything, but yeah, like I said random ramblings.

cdyhybrid

Just random ramblings, but:

Firstly no fucking clue when the expansion will be out, testing has been all over the place. Dungeons are more or less done (there is supposed to be one more I'm pretty sure but it's never been on the alpha progress chart) but we're still waiting on the new challenge mode system. Raids I have no idea what is going on with, they've been testing fights since almost the start of alpha which seems weird to me but I'm not a dev so what do I know.

For zones we're still missing Azsuna, Suramar, and the Broken Shore. Azsuna art seems mostly complete(?) but the quests aren't there yet. Broken Shore to my knowledge is just a 40 man scenario right? The art for it seems close to final as well. Suramar is the big question mark to me, not sure what that zone is supposed to be outside of raids/dungeons but Blizzard has said it is a max level zone of some sort. Either way, every alpha video I've seen showing it off makes it look like it is no where near done on an art level - not even time to start thinking about the gameplay aspect of it.

Still missing 2 specs as well but I get the feeling those will be coming sooner rather than later. They're testing the new honor system right now as well but I assume in the grand scheme of things that feature probably didn't take a lot of time to create.

Obviously that doesn't cover everything, but yeah, like I said random ramblings.

I think I read somewhere that the raid testing so far has been to make sure raid mechanics go off without crashing the server and things of that nature.

ZenaxPure

I think I read somewhere that the raid testing so far has been to make sure raid mechanics go off without crashing the server and things of that nature.

I'd believe that, just mostly curious how many fights they are done with but haven't bothered testing yet. There has been datamined achievements (as in the mount unlocking meta achievements not the "clear x wing" style achievements) for various Emerald Nightmare/Suramar bosses that haven't been tested yet including Gul'dan which is interesting. Wonder how far along they are on the bossses.

Lomax

Only two and a half months until 7.0 seems way too soon to me. They still seem to be making sweeping changes to the Alpha, and aren't most of the Beta periods longer than that on their own? I think late July or early August seems more likely.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No. Pre-release event maybe. Too close to Overwatch.

Later than that will just lose the effect the movie could have on new/returning players.

The last fucking thing you want is for people to come back to the game after seeing the movie and greeting them with fucking Tanaan dailies

cdyhybrid

Later than that will just lose the effect the movie could have on new/returning players.

The last fucking thing you want is for people to come back to the game after seeing the movie and greeting them with fucking Tanaan dailies

Yeah, they'll just come back to another half-finished expansion instead.

ampere

True, but it's not even close to ready. Maybe they'll say fuck it and release it anyway

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, they'll just come back to another half-finished expansion instead.

A half finished expansion gets you longer than a month than 'this is the end of this expansion and all we have are these dailies and an annoying gear catchup to raid with'

especially when you consider how much the classes are going to change come 7.0

ZenaxPure

and aren't most of the Beta periods longer than that on their own?

Not sure if I'd use that as a metric this time around, despite them using the term alpha it has been progressing more like what they typically call a beta. The only way they could have a beta as long as previous expansion betas is if it started like right now pretty much (which isn't impossible for sure).

cdyhybrid

A half finished expansion gets you longer than a month than 'this is the end of this expansion and all we have are these dailies and an annoying gear catchup to raid with'

especially when you consider how much the classes are going to change come 7.0
Sure, it'll get them a little more mileage in the short term, but I dunno if that's worth killing off the game entirely :p

Lomax

Eh, I don't see that being an issue, new players take months to hit max level and returning players can get at least a month or two of entertainment out of WoD. I think the bigger issue is the idea that someone might get a little hyped from the movie and then find out they'd have to drop $50 on WoD and then immediately $50 on Legion and decide to just go play Hearthstone or buy the Warcraft RTS Battlechest instead.

And I think as the time comes, we're going to see the publicity for the movie stay as far away from the games as possible almost to the point of disavowing them. They see this as a huge new fantasy franchise that they want to have mass market appeal, not a video game spinoff.

The DK dps 2 piece bonus from Throne of Thunder is really broken in Timewalking and tanks can use it.

"Your attacks have a chance to raise the spirit of a fallen Zandalari as your Death Knight minion for 15 sec. (Approximately 1.15 procs per minute)"

Just one of those set bonuses that isn't tuned when scaled down. Might have been that if they had a pet out frequently

Is there a broken/best in slot list out there for time waking? I saw a Reddit thread on it a while back but was old and didn't include Cata dungeons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just going to say something here, and I have a balance druid.

If starfall killing something by itself gives you credit then lightning shield or a searing totem killing something by itself should give you credit. It's straight up disproportionate.

Trying to win the Highmaul Coliseum as a Warlock is clown shoes. Even if I use the nastiest and cheapest tactics the 1v1 will be against a -

Paladin
Disc Priest
Death Knight

and I lose anyway

Can't log-in to Dalaran, game keeps hanging on the loading screen after I select my toon, maybe I should take the shrinkwrap off of Bloodborne or something...nah.

Well, ready to begin. Looks like I will be on EU - Silvermoon (Not a big fan of PvP, to be honest). is it very common having to wait to enter the server or it only happens during the peak times when a new expansion is released?

BTW, my game is still at Mists of Pandaria level. is it ok if I wait for upgrading until I am out of content / hit the level cap / I need it for accompanying party members who are at Warlords of Draenor level?

cdyhybrid

Well, ready to begin. Looks like I will be on EU - Silvermoon (Not a big fan of PvP, to be honest). is it very common having to wait to enter the server or it only happens during the peak times when a new expansion is released?

BTW, my game is still at Mists of Pandaria level. is it ok if I wait for upgrading until I am out of content / hit the level cap / I need it for accompanying party members who are at Warlords of Draenor level?

Depends on the server. Will definitely be more likely during peak time and when new content is fresh.

Even HotS is kinda screw-y, matches take forever to load and my post-game screen just failed to load after a match. Battle.net in general looks pretty pooched right now.

Ark

WOD is great if you're not too worried about new content ;)

Yeah....I'm ignoring that bit :p

If its true, I need to hurry up and get my CMs done. I'd believe the pre-launch event happening around that time, but I'm not sure about the actual expansion.

Although, as everyone else has said, it would be as close-to-perfect timing as you can get with the movie and Overwatch four weeks before it.

Where did the rumour come from, anyway? I'm guessing we'll get the release date six-eight weeks before release, along with the pre-patch.

If you don't like PVP but want to play Alliance, go to Sylvanas. It's the Dreanor equivalent realm for Alliance on EU. I'm on Outlabd because my friends were here, but I would transfer to a PvE realm in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.

Outland is literally the PvP centre of Europe. At least it's super populated though.

EDIT: I actually can't remember if it's Sylvanas or Silvermoon. Either way, there are two pve realms in the top 10, Dreanor is heavily horde biased, and Sylvanas/Silvermoon in heavily Allinace biased.

If you don't like PVP but want to play Alliance, go to Sylvanas. It's the Dreanor equivalent realm for Alliance on EU. I'm on Outlabd because my friends were here, but I would transfer to a PvE realm in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.

Outland is literally the PvP centre of Europe. At least it's super populated though.

EDIT: I actually can't remember if it's Sylvanas or Silvermoon. Either way, there are two pve realms in the top 10, Dreanor is heavily horde biased, and Sylvanas/Silvermoon in heavily Allinace biased.

xnsHboY.jpg

Lokks like it would be Silvermoon. I pretty much hate anything PvP, so I don't think Sylvanas would be a good idea. Both are Alliance servers, it seems.

Ark

Ah yeah, Silvermoon it is. Enjoy it! I wish I could transfer all of my alts over there and convince my friends to do the same, oh well.

I feel like such a massive minority for being a PvE player on Outland, lol. Literally anyone I inspect has PvP gear.

Ah yeah, Silvermoon it is. Enjoy it! I wish I could transfer all of my alts over there and convince my friends to do the same, oh well.

I feel like such a massive minority for being a PvE player on Outland, lol. Literally anyone I inspect has PvP gear.

Meh, I will probably have to start from scratch sooner or later after finding I have messed in some way, building, equipment... So who knows if I will move to another server in a future or have todo a new character. I'm going to try playing as clueless as possible for my first time (not counting that level 10 Draenei from one year ago).

Anyways, I'm casual as heck (age and life will do that yo you) and more of a weekends gamer, so I don't know for how long I will last. I'm having a super boring easter mini break starting in 6 hours, but I tend to completely forget about online gaming once vacations or summer work schedule are over and I am too tired to play (why I would get kicked out of guilds on Ragnarok Online years ago).

Nyx

Due to being inbetween jobs atm I resubbed last weekend and got my lvl 94 Rogue to 100 insanely fast. Boy do those bonus objectives and LFG tool help a lot!

Now contemplating on getting my oldschool Warlock (lvl 74) to 100 too....

Tenebrous

I think all the mage specs look fun, honestly. They're definitely one of the better looking classes, and I can see myself picking up my (fire) mage as the main alt in Legion.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Well, at least we can say confidently that Legion will be out by then.

Arcane looks really fun in Legion.

So does Frost(DK tho)

There's a few specs I am really looking forward to checking out in Legion. Demo Lock is definitely the top of the list, but Unholy DK and Enhance Shaman are looking pretty rad too. Enhance looks the best it ever has, both aesthetically and mechanically.

I also really want to mess around with survival Hunter. "Class Fantasy" doesn't get much better than being a spear-twirling troll with a dinosaur buddy at your side.

Top Bottom