• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Fjordson

I fucking hate the shipyard. After months, the heirloom ring finally showed up on two of my characters, and the first one just failed on an 89% chance. I've successfully completed almost all of my missions that are over 80% but god fucking damn it.

Fuck you, Blizzard.

EDIT: They better make heirloom rings more easily obtainable in Legion, since no one will be doing garrison shit. Also, I fucking hate this idea of making heirlooms into time/gold sinks. They're basically punishing you for wanting to skip content you've already played a hundred times over.
Yeah, it's sort of annoying.

Whenever an heirloom ring mission showed up for me I literally went to the vendor and bought the counters I would need just for that specific mission so I could get my chance up to like 98%. Wasted some Garrison resources, but I just wanted to make sure I got those damn rings lol.

Robin64

I need absolutely nothing else from that damn shipyard now. Got all the rings, the pet, the mount, and every single achievement giving me the title of Captain. I'll still set stuff going for free fish and any gold missions, mind, but it's nice to be "done" with it.

Fjordson

Yep, just gold missions for me now.

The rewards for follower missions and the shipyard are overall pretty disappointing. Once I got the heirloom rings and the coalfist gronnling I stopped caring about either.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
EDIT: They better make heirloom rings more easily obtainable in Legion, since no one will be doing garrison shit. Also, I fucking hate this idea of making heirlooms into time/gold sinks. They're basically punishing you for wanting to skip content you've already played a hundred times over.

Yeah, the idea that you need 5k per item to have it scale up to 100 really rubbed me the wrong way.

It's (debatably) better than the alternative of only having 1-2 items 'introduced' with each xpac that scale up to current content, but 5k per item is a lot for someone who didn't have garrisons, much less alt garrisons, running throughout the entire expansion.

I'm honestly hoping that come Legion, every heirloom gets a similar boost to what happened with Tanaan's release in terms of previously bought heirlooms getting auto-boosted to the previous xpac's cap, but I'm not holding my breath.

When are Pandaria timewalking dungeons gonna come out?

I actually need the rep from that Xpac.

Farming Zandalari scouts/warbringers can solve that problem relatively quick (depending on how active cross-realm mount campers are), unless you're talking about Timeless/Isle of Thunder Rep.

It's kind of paradoxical. This expansion - if you took out garrison income - was probably one of the hardest to make money in because the professions were relatively shit compared to previously. Fewer enchants, significantly less gem churn, stupidly cheap potions/flasks, etc. I'm talking long term here though - first few weeks, after patches, and the like are busy for everything regardless. Some (many?) gold-makers might disagree, but from my perspective, the niches I liked to play in most in old expacs were pretty much wiped out.

Still, 5k is not really worth complaining about in this day and age. Previously they required a not-insignificant amount of effort to acquire and upgrade. I mean would you rather heirlooms be a cash shop thing? (I suppose technically you could make them that by buying a token). There's no need to upgrade all your heirlooms at once anyway, simply do it as you use them. Just have to face the fact that garrisons effectively replaced dailies (and professions to an extent) as a source of income for the duration of the expansion. You can always scrounge around in Cataclysm raids for some extra gold too.

cdyhybrid

Now that my Druid is geared up to 700 I'm gonna try to farm up my eight remaining Skyshards. Need to do it before Starfall gets nerfed in Legion.

ampere

Now that my Druid is geared up to 700 I'm gonna try to farm up my eight remaining Skyshards. Need to do it before Starfall gets nerfed in Legion.

I recommend trying to find someone to buy it from rather than farm for it. Only paid someone 15k for it in MoP

Lazy Peon's concern's for Legion

The numbers in Legion look ridiculous and if Legion has a similar amount of ilvl increases (roughly 100) with its patches, however many it actually gets, the numbers will be even more ridiculous. It's white noise. Is a number squish enough or do they need to do a level squish as well? Even though leveling doesn't take that long without heirlooms, 110 levels has to look stupidly intimidating to new players. And there might be a lot of new players if Blizzard are giving away WoW subs/game time with movie tickets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The numbers in Legion look ridiculous and if Legion has a similar amount of ilvl increases (roughly 100) with its patches, however many it actually gets, the numbers will be even more ridiculous. It's white noise. Is a number squish enough or do they need to do a level squish as well? Even though leveling doesn't take that long without heirlooms, 110 levels has to look stupidly intimidating to new players. And there might be a lot of new players if Blizzard are giving away WoW subs/game time with movie tickets.

At a certain point they'd probably just be better off with starting from 0 again, a WoW2 basically.

strafer

oh, I was worried there for a second, thought he meant sub numbers.

Come back when he got some serious concerns :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nofunallowed.jpg

Fucking Blizzard.

Nothing fun about one spec having a ridiculously better farming spell than everything else by about 100%

Effort to damage it's even more out of whack than if I afked on my shaman and a lightning shield kill everything. And I don't get credit for that.

ampere

In hindsight I'd say they shouldn't have done a squish and should have just used other solutions to make the numbers work (like making the game 64 bit only, but that would alienate a lot of players on older machines). Primarily because you just end up needing another squish and it makes power growth over time feel weird.

Tenebrous

Nothing fun about one spec having a ridiculously better farming spell than everything else by about 100%

Effort to damage it's even more out of whack than if I afked on my shaman and a lightning shield kill everything. And I don't get credit for that.

I don't have any issue with one class being better than others at certain things.

cdyhybrid

I recommend trying to find someone to buy it from rather than farm for it. Only paid someone 15k for it in MoP
I haven't noticed anyone selling it on Stormreaver (although I haven't been looking).

If I can find it for less than 20K I'll probably just buy it, but I dunno if that will happen.

Robin64

Call me a party pooper if you will, but I wish you that rares were only attackable by people actually on that realm (or if you were in a party with someone who was, so things like Tanaan still work). That way, the cross-realm group finder would continue to function, but it wouldn't have this shitty effect that it has now.

Adaren

I absolutely hate WoW's big combat numbers. I was thrilled when they announced they'd be squishing them for WoD, and even then I wish they had squished them ten times more. But, at this point, big numbers are the least of my concerns for the game. After the god-forsaken dumpster fire that was WoD, they have to remember how to get everything else right first, and Legion isn't exactly filling me with confidence thus far.

Call me a party pooper if you will, but I wish you that rares were only attackable by people actually on that realm (or if you were in a party with someone who was, so things like Tanaan still work). That way, the cross-realm group finder would continue to function, but it wouldn't have this shitty effect that it has now.

I only have about four Wrath rares left for the Frostbitten achievement and they are next to impossible to find now.

Vyragosa alone on the same path as Time-Lost I've pretty much given up on. Same with King Krush.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm hoping the flexible Legion leveling is testing grounds with the intent to bring it to the entire game. Let players mix and match zones across continents to create whatever leveling experience they like, then, scale all the quests to their level. Then you can do a level crunch if you want without creating weird jumps, where players outlevel each zone partway through.

Tenebrous

As someone who plays on a low pop server, I can only agree.

ZenaxPure

I'm hoping the flexible Legion leveling is testing grounds with the intent to bring it to the entire game. Let players mix and match zones across continents to create whatever leveling experience they like, then, scale all the quests to their level. Then you can do a level crunch if you want without creating weird jumps, where players outlevel each zone partway through.

I imagine this is the end result, maybe not in Legion but hopefully the expansion after. The game really needs it honestly, leveling is a shit show right now gameplay and story-wise. Offering people a free level boost when they buy the new expansion is an okay band-aid but they really need to fix the whole system.

Ark

Good luck finding a single Warbringer alive.

I was farming these yesterday, and holy shit are they camped to high hell and back.

At a certain point they'd probably just be better off with starting from 0 again, a WoW2 basically.

Just to entertain the idea, how would WoW2 even work? Would we be on Azeroth again? Set in the past/future? What about all the new continents/worlds since Vanilla?

cdyhybrid

I was farming these yesterday, and holy shit are they camped to high hell and back.

Just to entertain the idea, how would WoW2 even work? Would we be on Azeroth again? Set in the past/future? What about all the new continents/worlds since Vanilla?
Would just be a continuation of the story most likely. Biggest reason to do a WOW2 would be to free themselves from the incredibly messy decade-old code the game was built on originally.

Robin64

You're know you're in trouble with your code when you can't even change the default backpack size without everything going to shit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Biggest problem with warbringers is that they're a (relatively) short respawn timer, they have a fairly low % chance to drop a mount, there's a bunch of different colors so mount people go nuts, and farming the rep for the faction version via dailies is a pain in the ass. (that, and they're fucking dinosaurs, lol)

I've gotten ~20 or so total kills since I started playing again, and aside from maxing my old pandaria revered reps, haven't seen a thing.

I agree, but I don't think Blizz cares enough about it, tbh.

You're know you're in trouble with your code when you can't even change the default backpack size without everything going to shit.

I think this is the case for a lot of games, just less noticeable. The coding issues, I mean. Not the bag problem in specific, though I wonder why they don't just give us another bag slot to make up for it.

Tenebrous

I think this is the case for a lot of games, just less noticeable. The coding issues, I mean. Not the bag problem in specific, though I wonder why they don't just give us another bag slot to make up for it.

And if that's not possible, just give us bigger bags.

The Wardrobe is going to solve so much for me.

cdyhybrid

A lot of games don't have the lifespan that WOW has though :p

It's less noticeable because for the most part you're not playing games that came out in 2004 regularly.

I think a problem with bag space kinda comes down to what counts as a "toy" and what counts as a "currency." I really think they should just expand these categories out further to encompass more.

These two are kind of inconsistent. I just looked on my level 100 and my bags are packed full of shit that could just not take up space. Stuff like -

Pet Charms, Darkmoon Game Tokens, Broken Bones, Misprinted Draenic Coins and Blackfang Claws. Aren't these essentially currency? Maybe they want to keep the currency tab from being cluttered but why do Artifact Fragments, Ironpaw Tokens, Darkmoon Prize Tickets and so on and so forth count as currency but the former do not?

Things like Admiral's Compass, Fire-Watcher's Oath, Angler's Fishing Raft, Aqua Jewel. I guess toys are more for vanity items and less things that have a practical use but toys that buff or have a practical effect do exist - Safari Hat, Farwater Conch, Felflame Campfire/Grim Campfire...maybe I'm being really picky here but it seems to me like they should just expand on what counts as a toy or change the name to encompass more stuff.

I don't even want to get into the shit thats been cluttering my bank for years.

Edit: I have to say that even though I have my qualms, the game has come a long way when it comes to clutter. Remember when you had to carry around an enormous amount of mats for spells, have a mount take up a space in your inventory, carry around toys, heirlooms and battle pets by themselves before it was all simplified? If it was the same as it was back then you would need multiple bank alts just to carry all your shit.

Ark

Would just be a continuation of the story most likely. Biggest reason to do a WOW2 would be to free themselves from the incredibly messy decade-old code the game was built on originally.

Ah I hadn't thought of that.

Thing is, what will they do with all of the old zones? At this rate we're going to end up with like a dozen expansion zones that'll just end up cluttering everything even more. I'd really like to know how WoW looks to a new player now compared to when most people started around TBC/Wrath. I started back in TBC and levelling/progressing was super simple (time consuming, mind you), and even in Wrath things were relatively simple; but imagining getting into the game now just seems so daunting.

I might just be disconnected from that though, trying to balance objectivity with nostalgia-goggles can be difficult with this game.

EDIT: Pet peeve; I read a forum post a couple days ago where the OP was complaining about being the 'chosen one' in the story now, and that we're no longer just a group of adventurers; I actually found myself agreeing with that.

Edit: I have to say that even though I have my qualms, the game has come a long way when it comes to clutter. Remember when you had to carry around an enormous amount of mats for spells, have a mount take up a space in your inventory, carry around toys, heirlooms and battle pets by themselves before it was all simplified? If it was the same as it was back then you would need multiple bank alts just to carry all your shit.

Remember when Hunter's had to buy ammo? Hahaha.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I would say the ilevels are not a major factor in the damage increase that came over the course of WoD. Blizzard definitely did their best to incentivize sticking with the game and raiding though, and to make that feel rewarding there has to be tangible increases. More than that, they got more creative with stuff like the trinkets and set bonuses to try and do crazier things with classes, and on top of those the legendary ring that boosted damage numbers to 20x+ what people were doing when they hit 100. I understand why people want reasonable numbers to work with, but it's easy to see the path that lead to where things are. I don't really think anything in Legion is that out of line from what I would expect without another squish, and I don't know if it's realistic to stat squish every single expansion. Stuff could still easily change before launch because tuning is still a work in progress. On some of the other stuff...tallying content by the number of zones never really works well.

Having a smaller number of zones doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the leveling experience. WoD is almost hyper linear. Zones themselves tend to have a natural flow to them, so having the choice to vary their order offers some kind of benefit for me. Past expansions, like BC in particular, felt like they had zones that were big just for the sake of being big, and it sure did not improve the leveling experience.

I would say the ilevels are not a major factor in the damage increase that came over the course of WoD. Blizzard definitely did their best to incentivize sticking with the game and raiding though, and to make that feel rewarding there has to be tangible increases. More than that, they got more creative with stuff like the trinkets and set bonuses to try and do crazier things with classes, and on top of those the legendary ring that boosted damage numbers to 20x+ what people were doing when they hit 100. I understand why people want reasonable numbers to work with, but it's easy to see the path that lead to where things are. I don't really think anything in Legion is that out of line from what I would expect without another squish, and I don't know if it's realistic to stat squish every single expansion. Stuff could still easily change before launch because tuning is still a work in progress. On some of the other stuff...tallying content by the number of zones never really works well.

Having a smaller number of zones doesn't necessarily indicate anything about the leveling experience. WoD is almost hyper linear. Zones themselves tend to have a natural flow to them, so having the choice to vary their order offers some kind of benefit for me. Past expansions, like BC in particular, felt like they had zones that were big just for the sake of being big, and it sure did not improve the leveling experience.
Agreed with about the raiding, as someone who has 2 characters of the same class one geared for raiding and one not the trinkets and tier make a massive difference right now.

Tenebrous

4 zones or 40 zones... Makes no difference to me IF they make dungeon leveling somewhat decent again. I'd much rather do that than fight the masses for boar skin.

(The fifth point was the only one I really agreed with).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
12472450_1083312675044833_890169132062773995_n.png

Y'shaarj?

He looks like a twisted cloud serpent.

ZenaxPure

Bags are gonna be pointless once the new transmog system comes out anyway, at least for me. Every bank slot I have and almost every bag slot is just gear. Like quite literally when the new system comes I will have about 1 hexweave bag full of stuff and then 3 empty hexweave bags and an empty bank (all of which are hexweave as well).

No idea what I am going to do with all that space.

frontovik

Banned
Urgh, I feel a tad irritated sometimes that I did not do Naxxramas runs during the TBC era.. now T3 pieces are more difficult to obtain and Corrupted Ashbringer is gone.

I was more concerned about getting Deathcharger's Reins during that time.

ampere

To put it simply, it wouldn't work. Some players would stick with "WoW1" because of all their accolades and stuff, some players would migrate to the new game, and you'd have a split playerbase and two games to support. Everquest did it, and it didn't work well.

Best thing they can do is the incremental engine updating they've been doing every expansion.

They could, it's just a matter of the time investment being worth it. It's a lot of code to comb through, and is it really worth it for such a minor upgrade?

Urgh, I feel a tad irritated sometimes that I did not do Naxxramas runs during the TBC era.. now T3 pieces are more difficult to obtain and Corrupted Ashbringer is gone.

I was more concerned about getting Deathcharger's Reins during that time.

I feel ya. It's hard to know at the time what things are time limited and what things aren't.

I would have joined a raiding guild much earlier in WotLK if I had realized how many cool titles were being removed with the next expansion.

Lomax

I feel ya. It's hard to know at the time what things are time limited and what things aren't.

I would have joined a raiding guild much earlier in WotLK if I had realized how many cool titles were being removed with the next expansion.

The best titles in Wrath were removed with the first patch. Still bitter that I missed out on my Immortal title and mount by one stupid death on Sapphiron the very last week. From that point though they seem to have gone more with the "reduced drop rate" method rather than straight removal, which is a lot better.

Got my mount on my 205th egg.

Pretty satisfied.

I was happy to see egg spawn rates seem a lot better than I remember them from many years ago. Got a mount as a drop about 400 eggs in and farmed another to flip later in a much shorter amount of time than I expected.

Top Bottom