• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

cdyhybrid

249 mounts ;-;

I'll be finishing Molten Front and Glory of the Cataclysm Hero shortly though, along with the 5000 claw Saberstalker one.

Ultratech

I don't even remember why people never used it in the past.

Was it because the quality was crap, or because people didn't want to use something else than their 3rd party software?

*thinks*

Honestly? I have no idea.

It is kind of a curious question though.

I did find this question about it from 2011
:

Nethaera said:
Players don’t use the client-implemented Voice Chat feature because third party applications are much betters.
Can I expect improvements in the voice quality and a fix in the delay issue in the future? – 밥상의달인 (Korea)

A: We aren’t at all happy with the quality and feature set of Voice Chat. We think we can do a lot better.
While we aren’t working on it right this moment, the next time we revisit Voice Chat, we want it to be an epic improvement, the same way Dungeon Finder redefined Looking for Group.

And from looking up some more information on it, it seems that it's tied into the connection to the game server, so if you randomly get booted from the game, there goes your communication.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I swear getting a full Tier 2 set is taking much longer than any other older ones. Wish the bosses could just drop tokens instead.

_BtB_

Damn, gold token is currently at 84k on my server. I was gonna resub but I don't have enuf gold. >_>

Ouch, currently 40k on us servers. At least you are not on the korean servers, 145k o_O
Not sure if I will buy 2 tokens this month or not, haven't played wow seriously in a few months, just log on to check auctions.

Lomax

Was it because the quality was crap, or because people didn't want to use something else than their 3rd party software?

There was a lot of stigma when it first released, "good" guilds already had vent or teamspeak servers, so only "scrubs" needed the in game version. Also it didn't have the type of options for just hanging out and talking (and creating rooms) that the others did. And I think the idea of voice chat in a pug was just always horrifying in general. We all know what sort of rep things like xbox live have. Also it was the first content patch without any real content.

Nostalrius private WoW server threatened by Activision/Blizzard, will shut down April 10th

https://en.nostalrius.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Paladin being my main also. I just can't decide between Protection or Retribution.

But I'm also anxious to see how Survival Hunter plays. I love the idea of a spear-wielding tauren with a pet kodo. I guess I'm waiting to see if the kodo pets get made as a Beast Mastery exclusive.

I want to be a Holy Paladin but feel forced to play Retribution to get through content in a remotely timely manner. Leveling as Holy is great if all you do is dungeon queue but it's slow in PVE. I know they said they're going to make leveling as a healer better in Legion but I just don't see how unless there's some sort of PVE damage bonus in the base level artifact, but even then Holy only has single target damage, one stun and a fear specific to demons/undead. I like playing a Belf Paladin, it feels like there's a lot of projects and things to do with it (reps, titles, Paladin and Belf themed transmogs) beyond just hitting 100 for Legion but I don't really like playing as a Retribution Paladin. It feels like I'm playing with 5 buttons. Well, 7 but they're AoE resource spender/generators that are interchangeable with single target variations that share the same CD.

I should probably just resign myself to playing Hunter or Warlock. I actually enjoy those DPS classes. Or level a druid so I could spastically change my mind every week over which spec I wanted to play as. Imma heal, Imma melee DPS, Imma tank, Imma a ranged caster guiyz. Oh fuck it, I'll just play Hunter.

Shahadan

Legion Challenge Mode is for now called Mythic+ and is accessed at the start of a mythic dungeon.

Modifiers sounds both cool and terrifying.

Also, didn't know Mythic dungeons were planned already.

ZenaxPure

Really excited about the modifiers, been doing mythic dungeons with my friends every week for the past few months and the thing the dungeons really need is something that shakes them up a bit. Modifiers rotating in and out will do that perfectly.

Tenebrous

They're arguably my favourite new feature of the expansion, but I've never been a fan of timed runs. I'd rather turn the dungeon up to 11 and clear it at my own pace than go absolute batshit insane for 20 minutes trying to get through it ASAP.

(I am right in thinking Mythic+ will be timed, aren't I?)

Entropia

No One Remembers
Legion Challenge Mode is for now called Mythic+ and is accessed at the start of a mythic dungeon.

Modifiers sounds both cool and terrifying.

Also, didn't know Mythic dungeons were planned already.

Yeah they were a planned thing from the get go I believe.

Mythic+ are basically greater rifts in D3, lol

They're arguably my favourite new feature of the expansion, but I've never been a fan of timed runs. I'd rather turn the dungeon up to 11 and clear it at my own pace than go absolute batshit insane for 20 minutes trying to get through it ASAP.

(I am right in thinking Mythic+ will be timed, aren't I?)

Yes.

---

Also reading the Nostrilous Vanilla server stuff kind of makes me nostalgic that Blizzard had officially supported Vanilla/Progression/Legacy servers.

ZenaxPure

They will be timed but at Blizzcon they said the timer is mostly there so you can't brute force it, they plan for it to be more lenient than even silver CM is right now.

Fjordson

That private server thread on gaming side is hurting my brain. Some people are surprised Blizzard would shut it down?? Seems like the most obvious thing ever.

Tenebrous

The EU & US forums are also quite pumped up about it.

I'm a big advocate of emulation as a form of preservation when it comes to games that are no longer sold, but WoW is an incredibly tricky one... I get that it's no longer available in certain states people want to experience, but the game is still in continuous development, so hey. I've no idea.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That private server thread on gaming side is hurting my brain. Some people are surprised Blizzard would shut it down?? Seems like the most obvious thing ever.

Not surprised, disappointed.

Someone on reddit mentioned the idea that they were shutting it down in order to open the doors for their own vanilla servers. I think those people are delusional.
More than likely they shut it down at this point so that more potential players would be available for the Legion launch.

ZenaxPure

The most amazing part of that thread to me is the incredible mental gymnastics people are using to claim that Blizzard doesn't own the game they created. Sheesh.

I want to be a Holy Paladin but feel forced to play Retribution to get through content in a remotely timely manner. Leveling as Holy is great if all you do is dungeon queue but it's slow in PVE. I know they said they're going to make leveling as a healer better in Legion but I just don't see how unless there's some sort of PVE damage bonus in the base level artifact, but even then Holy only has single target damage, one stun and a fear specific to demons/undead. I like playing a Belf Paladin, it feels like there's a lot of projects and things to do with it (reps, titles, Paladin and Belf themed transmogs) beyond just hitting 100 for Legion but I don't really like playing as a Retribution Paladin. It feels like I'm playing with 5 buttons. Well, 7 but they're AoE resource spender/generators that are interchangeable with single target variations that share the same CD.

I should probably just resign myself to playing Hunter or Warlock. I actually enjoy those DPS classes. Or level a druid so I could spastically change my mind every week over which spec I wanted to play as. Imma heal, Imma melee DPS, Imma tank, Imma a ranged caster guiyz. Oh fuck it, I'll just play Hunter.

I know what you mean about Retribution; I get bored fast with that spec. I'd only go with it in Legion for Ashbringer, haha. I'm really glad that they changed the libram for Holy to be attached to the waste rather than having a fist going through it.

Whatever you think of the stances people are taking on private servers, one thing is clear: there is a demand to play the older iterations of WoW.

Blizzard should probably have a PVE and PVP progression server or expansion specific legacy servers in each region. It seems like every couple of months they're shutting down a private server. They should offer these people a viable legitimate alternative to experience the game as it used to be in whatever their favourite era was.

I know what you mean about Retribution; I get bored fast with that spec. I'd only go with it in Legion for Ashbringer, haha. I'm really glad that they changed the libram for Holy to be attached to the waste rather than having a fist going through it.

I did not know they did that, that's nice. Offhands that aren't shields look so awful as they are in the game currently. Hopefully they address the ol' orb-on-a-stick for Mages as well.

Loxley

A lot of folks are letting their nostalgia and emotion get in the way of common sense. Of course they were going to shut it down, people were accessing World of Warcraft without paying the mandatory subscription fee. The whole "But this proves there's a demand for it!" doesn't hold much weight because you can bet that a good chunk of the folks playing Nostralius were only doing so because it was available for free.

A lot of folks are letting their nostalgia and emotion get in the way of common sense. Of course they were going to shut it down, people were accessing World of Warcraft without paying the mandatory subscription fee. The whole "But this proves there's a demand for it!" doesn't hold much weight because you can bet that a good chunk of the folks playing Nostralius were only doing so because it was available for free.

I couldn't agree more. I wonder how many of those people would actually resubscribe if Blizzard were to offer a Vanilla server.

I was surprised that Nostralius was up as long as it was, considering its visibility/popularity. I wonder if the Kronus project servers are next.

Robin64

Right, how many Nostralius players would buy the client for $30 then sub $15 a month to play it? Some would, no doubt, but 150k? No way.

ZenaxPure

There's a demand when it's free.

Yeah, I honestly can't see people willing to pay $15 a month for something that is never going to get updated. Talking long term here, I am sure the first couple of months would be fine but 1 year in the future?

Progression servers are a different story, that would work for a longer period of time. But again, 2 years into the future? I doubt it. Sure they can just flip the switch and reset those servers back to nothing, but will as many people be willing to go through progression servers for a second time?

Right, how many Nostralius players would buy the client for $30 then sub $15 a month to play it? Some would, no doubt, but 150k? No way.

Those numbers they gave out to prove their popularity was fucking hilarious. 150k active users, without defining what an active user is. How many of those accounts were people who logged on for like an hour, realized how poorly that stuff has aged and then uninstalled? The 800k number is even worse, wow 800k people signed up on a website. Amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Because the quality was crap

Nyx

Man as somebody who ''peaked'' during the MC/BWL days, the Firelands raid sure was cool!

Raggie gave me goosebumps for just a bit.

The last time ret was any fun was the last season/tier of Cata. The specs been boring as shit ever since, legion looks like it might be an improvement but you never know.

Yeah, I honestly can't see people willing to pay $15 a month for something that is never going to get updated. Talking long term here, I am sure the first couple of months would be fine but 1 year in the future?

You mean like WoD?

ampere

I agree that the private server was getting most of its popularity from being free

One thing is for sure, classic WoW forced the community aspect since you couldn't queue for things

It's a sort of parallel to reality where people can now live on social media without actual human interaction

Tacitus_

eeyyyy

ZQffyQO.jpg

Grats. That picture tho. Suppose there aren't world markers down at least :p

Hopefully we can get it done in the next few weeks. Still nervous about the nether since I have to set up the world markers there myself. And I'm trying to use DBM for MotL with pre-arranged groups, but the fancy Weak Aura maybe works better, albeit if more complicated to get working. IDK. Probably a bit much to ask to get that configured since we likely won't have the exact same comp with enough regularity.

Tacitus_

Grats. That picture tho. Suppose there aren't world markers down at least :p

Hopefully we can get it done in the next few weeks. Still nervous about the nether since I have to set up the world markers there myself. And I'm trying to use DBM for MotL with pre-arranged groups, but the fancy Weak Aura maybe works better, albeit if more complicated to get working. IDK. Probably a bit much to ask to get that configured since we likely won't have the exact same comp with enough regularity.

Our GM should have a fancier picture since he was at the front for the "official" picture.

We used http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/mark-legion-helper for the marks, more or less successfully. Don't need rigid preformed groups neither with it.

Drame

Gz, torilla tavataan!

Slight OT, I suppose.

Spoke a lot about the Nostalrius shut down with the guild and while we shared memories about our vanilla adventures none of us felt the need to go back, me included. Although, we're lucky as we have had the core group from first expansion all the way to WoD and beyond. So, hey community box checked on our behalf!

It's interesting to follow the conversation on the internet about the whole incidence. I understand those players who didn't have the opportunity to do the content as it was back then, but at the same time I feel that part of the magic has been lost during time. I for one have a lot of great memories from the early days of WoW. Part of it being the first mmorpg and a "real" online game. I'll never forget my friend making a portal to Ironforge from Teldrassil. Seeing all those players in one place was sure awe inspiring.

As great as those times were, I can't just see myself wanting to go back. I have already done the content, when it was still mysterious and just trying to figure my class out was a exciting adventure. I can't reproduce those memories no matter how hard I would try and I want to see the game evolve. One of the most exciting times in WoW, just second to raid progression period, is to see how the game evolves in the next expansion. While the content might seem little dry at the moment I still love to log in and clear HFC over and over again while chatting on Discord about WoW, other video games and hey politics too!

So should Blizzard support "legacy" servers in some way. I don't know. I suppose the demand is there(?), but at the same time would living in the past be good for the game or anything else in the long run. I have no idea.

Anyways, it just hurts to see guildies getting Legion beta before you. I want to give my paladin an Ashbringer spin!

It appears that Mark of the Legion helper has no config, not even a simple interface that says it's activated or how it works. Guess we'll still try with vanilla DBM for now, though we haven't gotten to the last phase often enough for any issues to become readily apparent.

Huh, in the latest build Mind Freeze now has a 15 yard range, but the interrupt only lasts 3 seconds instead of 4. Another reliable ranged interrupt is nice though.

Top Bottom