• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

erawsd

6359262108944651302139067412_napoleon.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm hopeful that the Diablo III systems that are leaking into Legion will be meaty enough to keep me occupied for a while.

I'm hopeful that anything in Legion will be meaty enough to keep me occupied for a while. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Dungeon stuff. A 5-man option that drops current raid-caliber loot with a bit of D3 greater rift mechanics certainly sounds ideal for me and some of my buds, but we have to see how it actually turns out.

It also hinges on how compelling artifact stuff turns out to be. If it's actually a fun sense of progression and not a totally grindy chore, I could see Legion being one of the most alt-friendly expacs in a while, which I know is quite contrary to the common idea that having to level artifacts will discourage alts. But the way I think of it, if I know I can log on any of my characters and make progress towards new artifact powers (or skins), that would actually make me feel less like I'm stuck having to play one character and ignore the rest of them.

Blizz needs to get Trumpin' and Make Azeroth Great Again.

ZenaxPure

grindy chore

It's obviously going to be grindy, feeling like a chore is going to be the real question. We know pretty much every activity in the game is going to give power which sounds perfect on paper but in practice we need to see some numbers as my main concern is just how much artifact power you can potentially gather up on a weekly/daily basis (speaking at max level of course, leveling is a different story).

More or less my point is that I hope artifact power is sort of a background thing that just happens while you play the game like you normally would.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's obviously going to be grindy, feeling like a chore is going to be the real question. We know pretty much every activity in the game is going to give power which sounds perfect on paper but in practice we need to see some numbers as my main concern is just how much artifact power you can potentially gather up on a weekly/daily basis (speaking at max level of course, leveling is a different story).

More or less my point is that I hope artifact power is sort of a background thing that just happens while you play the game like you normally would.

Agree completely. If I can log on any of, say, 5 alts, and know that I can just play whatever content I feel like and I will be progressing my artifact in addition to whatever loot/rep/etc I'm getting, that's definitely a good thing for feeling compelled to play alts. Compelled, but not forced.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As much as I was enjoying raiding and progressing through HFC, I'm off the game until pre-patch.

I've just got so many unfinished games piling up. Even focusing on one main and no alts, I never finish anything because of WoW. And a lot of my time in WoW is spent doing tedious shit I don't enjoy. Like the idea of REGRINDING all my rep isn't something I want to do. Ever.

As much as I was enjoying raiding and progressing through HFC, I'm off the game until pre-patch.

I've just got so many unfinished games piling up. Even focusing on one main and no alts, I never finish anything because of WoW. And a lot of my time in WoW is spent doing tedious shit I don't enjoy. Like the idea of REGRINDING all my rep isn't something I want to do. Ever.

I can agree with that. I think WoW is the main reason I have a backlog as big as I do.

Lomax

I think it's more that it really sucks for people who main swapped. No idea if they have sworn off adding another X reps achievement though

Yeah, the next rep achievement needs to be based on account wide reps and not an individual character. Make it 80 or 90 or whatever seems challenging enough and then build from there in the future. It's bad enough that there's still some metas like the Pandarian reps that aren't account wide. They've done such a great job of combining almost all of that stuff that the few things left now really stick out like a sore thumb.

mxgt

Banned
Got that WoW itch again and re-subbed last week for the first time since shortly after WoD release, mainly to level all my alts to 100 and do some mount farming.

Second run:

b0c0aa63c9ed27438c0dfba52e15ca1e.png

Haven't been this lucky since I got ZG tiger on my first run back in the day. Feels good man.

Still never lucky with Raven Lord and Invincible though. :(

Congrats on Ashes! Such a pretty mount. That and Invincible are on my wish list.

I saw the sheep staff video earlier and laughed so hard. If that's really a skin for the arcane mage artifact weapon, I know what I'm going to main in Legion!

JSoup

Banned
Not sure how any of that is relevant to be honest. I've been playing with the same people since vanilla but that doesn't mean we stick around if the game has no content. It's one thing when it's free, but is a strong sense of community really going to get people to fork out over 500 dollars (which is what playing the game for around 3 years would cost) when there isn't any new content?

Because yes, I find that incredibly hard to believe. There would always be a handful of diehards but I really don't believe the vast majority of people would do that.

I had to check to make sure we were talking about the same thing and it seems I took your post out of context. You were commenting on Blizz charging for a dedicated Vanilla server, I'm specifically not.

Fjordson

Got that WoW itch again and re-subbed last week for the first time since shortly after WoD release, mainly to level all my alts to 100 and do some mount farming.

Second run:

b0c0aa63c9ed27438c0dfba52e15ca1e.png

Haven't been this lucky since I got ZG tiger on my first run back in the day. Feels good man.

Still never lucky with Raven Lord and Invincible though. :(
Naice. Still one of my favourite mounts in the game. That took me over three years of fairly steady farming on multiple characters lol.

trembli0s

Resubbed after reading about Legion for the first time since Wotlk. Holy shit I am lost.

Is there a guide for returning players out there somewhere? I raided from classic through ulduar and play an alliance warlock.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Resubbed after reading about Legion for the first time since Wotlk. Holy shit I am lost.

Is there a guide for returning players out there somewhere? I raided from classic through ulduar and play an alliance warlock.

As you go through leveling content, be on the lookout for followers, and keep you garrison up to snuff as much as possible.

Once you hit 100, go to Tanaan jungle, and start farming mobs (during dailies) for baleful armaments, which give a 650 ilevel item of a specific slot (with a chance to be upgraded to 675 or even 685).

At the same time, start the Legendary Quest (at least if you plan on raiding or are a completionist), and look into LFR/Heroics for Valor to upgrade your baleful gear ilevel by 5/10 total.

More specific guides can be found on Wowhead - search for something along the lines of 'new/boosted 100s', as well as a garrison/follower guide for 'optimal' strategies, depending on if you're looking for gold, raiding mats, etc..

edit: Yeah, talents/Glyph pruning/changes will also probably be a big part of your re-intro period, lol. Didn't even think about that one.

Ok Sorcerous materials are essentially useless now right? Selling them on the AH is impossible. I think just selling them as vendor trash would be just as much.

Sorcerous Air should move if Hexwaeve Bags still sell in decent volume on your server. Although SA goes for 10G a piece while the bags sell for roughly 1400-1500G on Dalaran.

Wozzer

In a similar position. Resubbed after being away for most of WoD and dinged 100 on 1st April. After blundering a few days trying to figure out where I should best spend my time I discovered Ashran. The same night I hit 700 gear score.

I got lucky and stumbled upon a team that consistently won for hours, whilst collecting chests from this guide in-between objectives. Not sure on the general reception of Ashran but I adore its meta and open approach to PvP vs WoW's other approaches.

It has been a good week from there. Casually went through a few Wotlk raids for transmog items and on my first clear of Tempest Keep got lucky with;

h09DZmS.jpg

Then I discovered #FriendshipMoose and got lucky with being picked for the heroic mode Archi mount that I otherwise probably wouldn't have got in time before Legion.

LHbyKup.jpg

Has been a good welcome back :D

Then I discovered #FriendshipMoose and got lucky with being picked for the heroic mode Archi mount that I otherwise probably wouldn't have got in time before Legion.

LHbyKup.jpg

Has been a good welcome back :D

Congrats!! I love the idea of #FriendshipMoose. I tried to get into a few of Zelse's runs but never got picked. I considered paying for it, but then I joined an awesome guild that was as progressed as I was (12/13 H) and we ended up downing Archimonde the week after I joined. We even one-shot him last week!

And grats on Ashes, too. You've had a productive April. :)

Tenebrous

Congrats!! I love the idea of #FriendshipMoose. I tried to get into a few of Zelse's runs but never got picked. I considered paying for it, but then I joined an awesome guild that was as progressed as I was (12/13 H) and we ended up downing Archimonde the week after I joined. We even one-shot him last week!

And grats on Ashes, too. You've had a productive April. :)

You know, FriendshipMoose is a good idea...

Do we have enough people on EU/US to put together a for-fun boosting team? If anyone fancies it, perhaps we can see what we have, what we need, and maybe get some non-GAF guildies involved or something.

I keep meaning to host some HFC normal fun runs, but I'd not be able to coordinate so many people at once.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I would take WoD over Vanilla ten times out of ten.

But then WoW wasn't my first MMO, so I have no nostalgia blinders on.

I would take the community of vanilla over any expansion.

Seeing those screenshots of nost shutting down where there was more than 10 people on screen just made me long for more populated WoW areas. I can't remember the last time I went through a leveling or out-of-city zone and saw more than two other players.
The large leveling splits and phasing have completely killed the feeling of the MMO for me.

Ark

You know, FriendshipMoose is a good idea...

Do we have enough people on EU/US to put together a for-fun boosting team? If anyone fancies it, perhaps we can see what we have, what we need, and maybe get some non-GAF guildies involved or something.

I keep meaning to host some HFC normal fun runs, but I'd not be able to coordinate so many people at once.

I'd be up for this if we did Heroic ;D

ampere

Read about this Tab Targeting change in Legion in the Windwalker section, but my google fu fails me.

Anybody can enlighten me?

The devs are just claiming it's way better on alpha. It wasn't last I played much (few builds ago), but maybe they have an internal build where it's better

Wouldn't hold my breath on it though. Their ideas for Windwalker AoE are cumbersome and awful lol

Bummer, Tenebrous, I'm US or else I'd totally help out! My shaman is fully heroic geared.

I would take the community of vanilla over any expansion.

Seeing those screenshots of nost shutting down where there was more than 10 people on screen just made me long for more populated WoW areas. I can't remember the last time I went through a leveling or out-of-city zone and saw more than two other players.
The large leveling splits and phasing have completely killed the feeling of the MMO for me.

Seriously? Have you leveled recently? I just leveled a character through Northern Barrens and Azshara earlier in the week and I was fighting for mobs the entire time with like 10 other players on the same phase of the quest. There were 30+ players just hanging out in Crossroads and dueling. I thought Azshara might be a bit less populated but it was nearly as populated as the Barrens, which blew my mind a bit.

And because of CRZ, everyone is on different realms and no one wants to group up. I'd much rather only see 1-2 people from my realm than have to deal with a bunch of random people from other realms competing for quest mobs. But then again, my hate for CRZ is well documented.

Granadier

Bummer, Tenebrous, I'm US or else I'd totally help out! My shaman is fully heroic geared.

Seriously? Have you leveled recently? I just leveled a character through Northern Barrens and Azshara earlier in the week and I was fighting for mobs the entire time with like 10 other players on the same phase of the quest. There were 30+ players just hanging out in Crossroads and dueling. I thought Azshara might be a bit less populated but it was nearly as populated as the Barrens, which blew my mind a bit.

And because of CRZ, everyone is on different realms and no one wants to group up. I'd much rather only see 1-2 people from my realm than have to deal with a bunch of random people from other realms competing for quest mobs. But then again, my hate for CRZ is well documented.

Yes, and I even transferred to a more populated server. Still I only ran into >5 players at a time while I was going through the zones under 20. After that most zones become ghost towns.

It just doesn't feel like an MMO at all unless you are sitting in a hub. I dislike it.

Fjordson

Yeah, I've seen this complaint on other forums and I wonder if CRZ is broken or something for some people. Whether on my main or an alt, I'm pretty much never in a zone that isn't populated with a decent amount of other players.

Aside from a few annoyances (like trying to get the time lost proto-drake) I love it personally.

Yes, and I even transferred to a more populated server. Still I only ran into >5 players at a time while I was going through the zones under 20. After that most zones become ghost towns.

It just doesn't feel like an MMO at all unless you are sitting in a hub. I dislike it.
This is like the complete opposite of my experience.

Granadier

It's pretty much the same on every realm for me because of CRZ. Sargeras, Laughing Skull, Area 52, Drak'Tharon, etc.

Interesting. I played on Emerald Dream and most zones were ghost towns. Switched to Dalaran and it was only really populated during the pre-20 zones.

Fjordson

The only area that varies for me depending on server is Draenor stuff like Stormshield. That's only your server's population AFAIK.

Top Bottom