• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

ZenaxPure

There won't be anything in palce for the level 100 boosts until Legion launches. Before WoD, level 90 boosts also had no intro questing.

Yeah, right now a level 100 boost just gets put into a level 3 garrison with nothing going on. Looks like there will be spec based tutorials for 7.0 based on datamined voice overs which is pretty cool.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I hate managing skills that way.....its like getting Dark Knight in FFXIV but worse because instead of an amount of skills you get at level 30....you now get the amount of skills you get at level 100.......you don't learn with the class and thats always been a personal peeve of mine. I like the feeling of evolving and learning the class instead of just.....alright heres a shitload of skills have fun.
At the very least, I tend to find Druid to be pretty approachable on a spec by spec basis. The number of abilities you have can seem overwhelming but the relevant ones to each play style are pretty low. Sometimes I really dislike how WoD stretches out their distribution of abilities because you can't learn to play the class without certain pieces of it.

For something like Arms Warrior you don't get Colossus Smash until you're level 81 and out doing Cataclysm content even when it's the key ability to the spec. Doesn't make any sense to me, and it seems like this got worse in WoD. People can rack up days of playtime and they still haven't seen what the spec is yet.

ViciousDS

Banned
At the very least, I tend to find Druid to be pretty approachable on a spec by spec basis. The number of abilities you have can seem overwhelming but the relevant ones to each play style are pretty low. Sometimes I really dislike how WoD stretches out their distribution of abilities because you can't learn to play the class without certain pieces of it.

For something like Arms Warrior you don't get Colossus Smash until you're level 81 and out doing Cataclysm content even when it's the key ability to the spec. Doesn't make any sense to me, and it seems like this got worse in WoD. People can rack up days of playtime and they still haven't seen what the spec is yet.

well I'm going Feral.....so this should be easy as cat dps to learn....not too much hotbar management there lol

Tenebrous

3 hours for another terrible raiid chest. Could at least, just this once, give me something I need
like Anzu's Cursed Plume for fuck sake.

So our Mythic Archimonde lockout got ninja'd.

Sent in a ticket with the Raid ID to see if they can tell me who did it, but I don't know for sure if I'll have any luck. The depressing thing is that it was for sure someone who is or was a member an actual member of our raid group, as we weren't exactly pugging anybody. If it was for profit, as a shortcut for another raid team, whatever, I don't know, but I'm pissed. Mainly since we have to use our precious 6 hour raid week clearing all of upper to get back to him, as we don't have the Mannoroth skip yet (and even then Manno could potentially take more time than we'd like).

rage.gif

That's harsh...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like my current guild and the progression pace we're at

but I already do miss having all my characters on one server/faction. I have a feeling I'll want to have my DK back on Horde by the time Legion hits. And the RL has really been helping me with Unholy so I don't want to just flake out on them.

May have to talk to him about it close to Legion's launch.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
All of my current characters are on a server that sometimes feel between low to medium population(Kargath-US). Which kinda sucks considering how empty the capitals are.

I still haven't pre-purchased Legion, so I still got a free lvl 100 I could use. I'd be curious to try a high population server with it.

When it comes to Alliance-US-Eastern timezone, which is the best? I think I saw Dalaran the other day? Is that on the eastern timezone?

Stormrage is Eastern. Probably your best bet.

That sucks. You could armory everyone from your last Mannoroth kill and see who has a recent Archimonde Mythic kill, then gkick obv

Not that simple since they could have shared the lockout further, or just sold it to another group. If anyone was dumb enough to be in the kill themselves I think we would have found them already.

Fjordson

When it comes to Alliance-US-Eastern timezone, which is the best? I think I saw Dalaran the other day? Is that on the eastern timezone?
Sargeras is eastern I think. My alliance main has been on there since Wrath. Amazing server tbh and highly active.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I was noticing this on my levelling mage. From level 10 or so all the way to 40, my rotation as fire is 3 spells.

Granted, that's kind of on Fire, but its still indicative of the whole spell pruning issue, imo.

cdyhybrid

All of my current characters are on a server that sometimes feel between low to medium population(Kargath-US). Which kinda sucks considering how empty the capitals are.

I still haven't pre-purchased Legion, so I still got a free lvl 100 I could use. I'd be curious to try a high population server with it.

WowProgress.com realm listings will give you a good idea of the raiding population and the time zone of each server.

I was noticing this on my levelling mage. From level 10 or so all the way to 40, my rotation as fire is 3 spells.

Granted, that's kind of on Fire, but its still indicative of the whole spell pruning issue, imo.

The problem isn't ability pruning, it's more indicative of the fact that you're mostly just standing there spamming what few damage spells you have unlocked at that point, which is one problem, and not having to use any other skills (polymorph, spell interrupt, ect.) because PVE combat is braindead, which is another problem. I swear half the reason I liked Shaman as much as I did is based on having to push twice as many buttons to do things as other classes while leveling. That made the leveling experience more busy but I don't think it made it inherently better, especially not at max level.

At 100 Fire Mage feels fine. The problem is it is genuinely boring playing certain classes through leveling and you can't properly evaluate the class until you're max level, which takes different players different amounts of time to hit. They aren't going to re-examine the 1-100 leveling experience though. They sell every expansion with boosters for new and returning players for a reason. At the very least in Legion they're providing lvl 100 trials for classes.

ViciousDS

Banned

Yes, I'm curious on the Alliance-Eastern time zone as well. Being a central player on an eastern server is a godsend since runs happen at like 7pm my time and end early to go to bed with a good amount of sleep.

Pacific is just asking for trouble though

edit: looks like stormrage alliance is big

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Blizzard's 'personal loot' response to the obvious overabundance of agility dps that Legion will have is the most sure-fire indicator of how much attention they pay to their raiding communities I've ever seen. Who the fuck uses personal loot in normal raids? And even less so in Heroic.

Either way, I predict Legion's launch will be a clusterfuck of melee only balanced by the Demonology Warlock surge.

I will keep the destro flame burning brightly!...

Until they finally add it to the beta and it turns out it's exactly as shit as it sounds from the artifact/talent/ability datamining.

Demo it is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Affliction has always been my preferred spec. I like DoT management as the focus of my rotation rather than constant CD watch.

But I won't know what I'm playing in Legion until the pre-launch event hits or I get Alpha/Beta(lol) since so many classes are getting drastically changed.

ampere

You whiners... at least you don't play a tank. Brewmaster and Blood DK are getting torn to pieces and taped back together by interns. So sad how unfun they are in Legion

Not that simple since they could have shared the lockout further, or just sold it to another group. If anyone was dumb enough to be in the kill themselves I think we would have found them already.

Ah, true. Good luck then

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
At least Brewmaster and Blood get new animations

Affliction have the exact same ones as before. Except when you're in combat stance you hold your fists up instead of your staff. Very exciting.

Looks like we might at least have access to the Mannoroth skip now from a couple people, though that's still a shitty boss we have to waste time killing again. And doesn't solve the fact that there was a major breach of trust from someone.

ViciousDS

Banned
Looks like we might at least have access to the Mannoroth skip now from a couple people, though that's still a shitty boss we have to waste time killing again. And doesn't solve the fact that there was a major breach of trust from someone.

dear heavens this would piss me off to no end. Is there no way of figuring out who easily?

Peachpies

Blizzard's 'personal loot' response to the obvious overabundance of agility dps that Legion will have is the most sure-fire indicator of how much attention they pay to their raiding communities I've ever seen. Who the fuck uses personal loot in normal raids? And even less so in Heroic.
They are moving towards personal loot being used for everything. Many people will be using personal loot for heroics and mythic raids in Legion.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There's 11 people in SW and 6 people in Org currently on my server...talk about a dead server.

Why, oh why, does it cost so much to move one character? If I want to move my 6 Alliance toons, it would cost me almost 200$CAN. ;_; Maybe I should just transfer my 2 mains and give up on my alts, keep them as profession toons if they ever release new mounts/toys/pets in them. Then use my lvl 100 boost for a "gathering" alt.

Anyone on Stormrage? What kind of queue should I expect when Legion release? How was WoD? I like what I'm seeing in SW on this lvl 1. That city look alive!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Stormrage is Eastern. Probably your best bet.

Do you have a lot of guilds that raid Mythic Archimonde on your server?

Maybe you can ask one of their raiders/guild leaders on an alt that isn't directly attached to your guild and say "hey do you know anyone selling Mythic Archimonde lockouts?"

see if you get anyone oblivious/truthful about the situation to say something.

also, you should make some sort of list of all of the people that were in the lockout and by process of elimination see who was definitely not online after raiding for the week. You only need to eliminate 19 people since it ain't you. start with eliminating whoever was "Last online" day of or before the last raiding day.

dimb

Another post from Watcher about Order Hall concerns: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610944120?page=10#188
The aversion that people have to any system that remotely resembles Garrisons seems so unreasonable to me. I'm surprised there has to be multiple blue posts on this, because the design outlines that allow for more class specific content and resources to run them being attained through standard activities makes them sound like a smart place to move things.

Garrisons are central to many of the things that are wrong with Warlords. I don't think people are being too out of line or too unreasonable. From the outside looking in, Legion looks like it's doubling down on a lot of the things that were off in WoD while at the same time introducing some neat looking things and QoL improvements.

Watcher said:
But at the same time, there are people who do enjoy the mission minigame, and there are some positive elements, such as a bit of offline progression, and the fun of looking forward to a reward waiting for you when you get home and log in. Not all aspects of the game are intended to appeal to all players - that's part of the challenge of creating a single game that is played by such a diverse audience with different preferences and playstyles. But while garrison followers and missions were a substantial portion of the content in Warlords, Order Hall missions are probably more like 3% of Legion.

I level up crafting professions with mats I farm entirely on my own with my gathering profession. Right now I am leveling up Skinning and Leather Working on my hunter. I dungeon queue to properly level up and farm mats in between queueing and questing. I level up fishing, first aid and archaeology. I go out on little archaeology adventures where I farm leather and dig up crap treasure from Azertoth. The vendor trash isn't great but it's actually a decent source of exp to level with. Archaeology becomes more of a grind once I no longer gain exp from it. I grind quest zones that give no exp, no decent transmogs and no real monetary reward just for rep. I have the potential to earn a Firelands run worth of gold every day from one of my garrisons. And while I know that gold is there for little to no effort, that I just click a few things every day, twice a day, I can't do it any more. I can't do garrisons. I've let somewhere between 10-20K worth of gold from Follower missions go unearned because I can't be arsed to log into my Shaman anymore.

ZenaxPure

Garrisons are central to many of the things that are wrong with Warlords.

I'd say that is extremely false actually. Warlords main issue is from the lack of content, throwing away garrisons would not have fixed that. There would still have been no reason to run dungeons, there would still have been no outdoor content outside the 1 crappy apexis daily we had, and professions would have still been incredibly gutted.

People use garrisons as a scapegoat for Warlords quality too much, there is no evidence that removing garrisons would have made other aspects of the expansion better. The more realistic outlook is that Warlords would have just been an even worse Cataclysm.

You can argue about the how and the why all you want, but you spend the majority of your time in an MMO in a single player instance. Having an actual faction capitol or even a shared one like Shattrath would have been a much better starting point.

ZenaxPure

Better starting point for what exactly? Until 6.2 the only reason most people logged on each day was to cycle some follower missions, if there was no missions it's not like people would just log on and sit in the town. They'd just unsub even faster.

cdyhybrid

The aversion that people have to any system that remotely resembles Garrisons seems so unreasonable to me. I'm surprised there has to be multiple blue posts on this, because the design outlines that allow for more class specific content and resources to run them being attained through standard activities makes them sound like a smart place to move things.
The vast majority of the feedback Blizzard gets from the general populace is worthless. People don't care to actually present reasons for their feedback or think about it any deeper than WOD BAD WOD GARRISONS LEGION GARRISONS LEGION BAD.

Better starting point for what exactly? Until 6.2 the only reason most people logged on each day was to cycle some follower missions, if there was no missions it's not like people would just log on and sit in the town. They'd just unsub even faster.

A better starting point for the expansion. If garrisons and all of the supporting design and systems to incentivize them weren't necessary, WoD would have had a more social default starting experience of a faction capital city (Bladespire Citadel or Temple of Karabour) or shared capital city (alternate Shattrath) versus the solo instance that their game session would start and end in. Blizzard would have had to look elsewhere, to the world and the dungeons, to provide the daily activities. It's not like the garrison was integral to the quest givers for the garrison campaign, those could have been populated in a city.

Even if people aren't articulating what they want in a manner you find satisfactory, the core of what they're arguing for is a more social experience in WoW.

cdyhybrid

A better starting point for the expansion. If garrisons and all of the supporting design and systems to incentivize them weren't necessary, WoD would have had a more social default starting experience of a faction capital city (Bladespire Citadel or Temple of Karabour) or shared capital city (alternate Shattrath) versus the solo instance that their game session would start and end in. Blizzard would have had to look elsewhere, to the world and the dungeons, to provide the daily activities. It's not like the garrison was integral to the quest givers for the garrison campaign, those could have been populated in a city.

Even if people aren't articulating what they want in a manner you find satisfactory, the core of what they're arguing for is a more social experience in WoW.

Yeah, and the class hall is more social than the Garrison AND it sends you out in the world more AND it's not as central of a feature to the expansion content, which makes all the bitching about it weird.

That social stuff is overrated anyway. I don't want to interact with 99% of the playerbase, I just want content to do on my own or with my guild/friends.

ZenaxPure

Blizzard would have had to look elsewhere, to the world and the dungeons, to provide the daily activities.

This was my entire point, there is no actual proof that those things would have been better without garrisons. They removed valor/justice because a vocal minority complained about being "forced" into doing content they didn't want to do, they (essentially) removed daily quests because a vocal minority complained about not wanting to do daily quests or rep grinds at max level.

Those systems have nothing to do with garrisons. Blizzard didn't trash them because of garrisons they trashed them because of shitty feedback they shouldn't have listened to in the first place.

Metroidvania

Honestly, the worst thing about Garrisons is the lack of any real 'payoff' without having a huge gated wall behind it, be it in material gathering that can't really be sped up (or even grinded out, as rewards for garrison resources start getting scarce after the 1st 'x' event of the day/week)

Combine that with nothing to really 'do' in the follower management, and it makes for a sad, boring time.

Granted, I came back in about a month ago, so I missed most of the content dearth. But it's still kind of noticeable, imo.

edit: Also, I still don't get why reg/heroic/mythic raids give zero valor - Yet LFR does?

I get they want people to populate LFR, but give them more or something.

dimb

edit: Also, I still don't get why reg/heroic/mythic raids give zero valor - Yet LFR does?

I get they want people to populate LFR, but give them more or something.
I assume the intention is to get people playing group content that is not their standard raid setting. If gear and valor come from the same source people would just log in for their raid night and that would be it.

This was my entire point, there is no actual proof that those things would have been better without garrisons. They removed valor/justice because a vocal minority complained about being "forced" into doing content they didn't want to do, they (essentially) removed daily quests because a vocal minority complained about not wanting to do daily quests or rep grinds at max level.

Those systems have nothing to do with garrisons. Blizzard didn't trash them because of garrisons they trashed them because of shitty feedback they shouldn't have listened to in the first place.
Ironically for me at this point I'm enjoying garrisons but that's because I'm raiding. It isn't the main thing taking up my time. If I had raided at the beginning of the expansion I would be pissed. Garrison stuff seems like it was always supposed to be supplemental but ended up taking the spotlight because blizzard flat out didn't produce enough content. THAT is the problem and I don't know if they're ever going to fix it.

Metroidvania

I assume the intention is to get people playing group content that is not their standard raid setting. If gear and valor come from the same source people would just log in for their raid night and that would be it.

I can see it, but on some level, it feels like a waste of time for anyone who doesn't need early legendary-stage drops.

Granted, that appears to be what mythic dungeons are for, so....I guess it all works out.

I guess I'm more specifically curious on why Highmaul/BF have only 75 per wing, and HFC is 150 - gives no incentive to 'help newbies out' in getting their legendary started, and defeats the purpose of 'keeping content relevant'.

Garrison stuff seems like it was always supposed to be supplemental but ended up taking the spotlight because blizzard flat out didn't produce enough content. THAT is the problem and I don't know if they're ever going to fix it.

It was definitely hinted pre-release as one of the focused elements, but yeah, it became the sole focus, which was a huge issue.

IIRC there was something along the lines of Tanaan getting cut from release?

dimb

There has never been any intention to keep old WoD raids relevant. Even though BRF/Highmaul was supposed to be a split raid tier we saw Highmaul get completely dropped in the trash bin. The problem got magnified when they went in afterwards to make the item level gulf between the raid dungeons even bigger. They must not have seen enough interest in BRF after it launched. I dunno. Blizzard never really knows what it wants to do with old raids. As a player I got to feel pretty burned out on BRF well before HFC came out, so the slow patch content cycle can really hurt player's desire to keep doing old content. With how barren WoD was when it came to stuff to do, it felt like there was a very long time frame where literally the only thing to do was raid BRF. Trying to keep people tied to BRF after HFC launched probably wouldn't fly very well, although at this point I miss BRF. That might be more because I'm not super hot on HFC though.

I am fairly certain the valor system was primarily set up to feed people into Mythic dungeons and create relevant five man content, but the tools weren't in place to really keep that content relevant. I would guess this is how Blizzard arrived at Mythic dungeons that can infinitely scale for Legion.

Speaking of weekly disappointments... I've successfully bonus rolled loot from Lei Shi 10/11 last weeks. 10 times shoulders, when I want the only other thing on the loot table, a belt. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

erawsd

Either way, I predict Legion's launch will be a clusterfuck of melee only balanced by the Demonology Warlock surge.

With the changes to accessories slots in legion its an issue thats pretty much limited to trinkets though, and even then its only one spec more than the int trinket.

cdyhybrid

I'm fine with moving towards personal loot. Removes all loot drama from the equation.

Edit: Mountains is great fishing music. Especially for Frostfire.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I really don't want personal loot in raids.

The only problem with personal loot is someone who's overgeared getting a piece as opposed to the people who actually need the piece getting it.

Which is fixed in legion since personal loot is tradeable.

Top Bottom