• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been watching MadSeasonShow's youtube and i's really nice to find a WoW youtuber that does research, doesn't reflect the obnoxiously loud community, and doesn't seem negative at every possible turn. and his voice is so soothing.

I don't think he's got crazy deep raiding experience, but he seems to take researching the classes fairly seriously as well. At the very least, he's putting out the best Legion class preview vids.

strafer

I've been watching MadSeasonShow's youtube and i's really nice to find a WoW youtuber that does research, doesn't reflect the obnoxiously loud community, and doesn't seem negative at every possible turn. and his voice is so soothing.

I don't think he's got crazy deep raiding experience, but he seems to take researching the classes fairly seriously as well. At the very least, he's putting out the best Legion class preview vids.

TotalBiscuit when he did WoW was my main go to voice for WoW related stuff.

Nowadays I dont watch anything.

ZenaxPure

To be fair, the stated reason for the 1-day missions makes absolute sense - it's just a story gating mechanic that they are using instead of having a set schedule of "quest X opens after Y weeks" like WoD did for the garrison campaign. There has to be some method of staggering story content over time if they don't want people to just grind it all out in a day.

Between the reassuring Order Hall clarifications and the world quest stuff that just came out, I'm definitely getting pretty optimistic about Legion.

Yeah to be honest as far as time gating story content goes I actually think this is maybe the best they've done? Like in the past ongoing story stuff has always been gated by just time alone. It never made much story sense, like for the garrison campaign, why are we waiting exactly 1 week before solving another one of Draenor's problems? But with the way it is set up in Legion you are sending your class champions out to scout an area and then they come back with info that leads you on a quest.

Ultimately there is no mechanical difference but the follower method feels a bit more organic.

I was worried about variety, but "well over 300" seems like a good start. Would love to see them extend this+scaling to the old world at some point.
This would be ideal because it would provide content beyond the expansion. The removal of a lot of the old content from vanilla was a mistake. I know they won't do it but they really should put back the class quests such as the warrior stance/weapon quest, paladin charger quest, lock mount question, etc.

ViciousDS

Banned
Made a priest there this past week. Westfall was very active, as was Darkshire. If you're in need of a social guild, check out Facepalm.

Oh sick.....they even have casual raids too. Was looking for a good group of folks to find, socialize and talk to using voice.

I joined DVS Gaming yesterday after seeing how nice their website is until I found out a few disturbing things after I joined.

-Anyone can join......literally, it seems like there is no screening process to at least keep complete assholes out.
-Teamspeak chat when I first joined......the WoW channel was nothing but folks talking about whale cum and penis's. Great first impression right there, no maturity at fucking all.
-They let anyone no matter how long they have been there or how much they contributed take over/lead a division.........yes, lets have randoms be the leaders without getting a decent rank within the community.
-The Current Star Wars guild leader got mad and just kicked everyone and deleted the guild that had the flagship lol.......man what a night to be in that teamspeak.

So yes, I don't plan on staying with DVS at all......I'll have to see if anyone is online from facepalm tonight to join.

I've never raided ever before in an mmorpg, guild wars didn't really have anything like that which was the mmo I played most and I never got to do raiding in anything else I played. So I'm hoping they do eventually show people on casual nights or something.

cdyhybrid

Oh sick.....they even have casual raids too. Was looking for a good group of folks to find, socialize and talk to using voice.

I joined DVS Gaming yesterday after seeing how nice their website is until I found out a few disturbing things after I joined.

-Anyone can join......literally, it seems like there is no screening process to at least keep complete assholes out.
-Teamspeak chat when I first joined......the WoW channel was nothing but folks talking about whale cum and penis's. Great first impression right there, no maturity at fucking all.
-They let anyone no matter how long they have been there or how much they contributed take over/lead a division.........yes, lets have randoms be the leaders without getting a decent rank within the community.
-The Current Star Wars guild leader got mad and just kicked everyone and deleted the guild that had the flagship lol.......man what a night to be in that teamspeak.

So yes, I don't plan on staying with DVS at all......I'll have to see if anyone is online from facepalm tonight to join.

I've never raided ever before in an mmorpg, guild wars didn't really have anything like that which was the mmo I played most and I never got to do raiding in anything else I played. So I'm hoping they do eventually show people on casual nights or something.
Haha, yeah - the general rule (although not true in all cases) is that the more people are allowed to join, the less mature the guild atmosphere is going to be. Mostly because the general population of the game is immature.

ViciousDS

Banned
Haha, yeah - the general rule (although not true in all cases) is that the more people are allowed to join, the less mature the guild atmosphere is going to be. Mostly because the general population of the game is immature.

A community partnered with AMD, HyperX and OCZ you think would be mature about what they do.......guess that one was insanely far fetched lol.

You can have a lot a of people and be mature, but you definitely have to have control of the ranks and hierarchy, otherwise whats the point. You don't make people leader of a game for your community with two posts!!!!

cdyhybrid

A community partnered with AMD, HyperX and OCZ you think would be mature about what they do.......guess that one was insanely far fetched lol.

You can have a lot a of people and be mature, but you definitely have to have control of the ranks and hierarchy, otherwise whats the point. You don't make people leader of a game for your community with two posts!!!!
Those large guilds that invite tons of people generally don't care about the guild itself beyond having another chat channel to BS in (and the passive guild perks I guess).

ViciousDS

Banned
Those large guilds that invite tons of people generally don't care about the guild itself beyond having another chat channel to BS in (and the passive guild perks I guess).

Ah, your talking about the large groups that mass invite and stuff and not the large guilds that are.....well large due to recruitment and website applications

cdyhybrid

Ah, your talking about the large groups that mass invite and stuff and not the large guilds that are.....well large due to recruitment and website applications
I don't see the difference :p
half joking, but still

The most competitive guilds generally keep pretty lean rosters. But if you're not looking for progression raiding, there's nothing wrong with joining a bigger one. Just need to find one that doesn't suck.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't see the difference :p
half joking, but still

The most competitive guilds generally keep pretty lean rosters. But if you're not looking for progression raiding, there's nothing wrong with joining a bigger one. Just need to find one that doesn't suck.

I'm looking for progression raiding....but on the more casual side of 1-2 nights a week.....whenever I get my druid to max level lol

First Dungeon completed. I can die in peace now.

Well, to be honest, not that much of a great expecience. Probably everybody had the dungeon memorised since they were going at full speed and I barely could keep with them. No time to stop and observe the dungeon design, read the quests at the entrance, etc...

Doing this when WoW had just been released must have been awesome :/

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Well, to be honest, not that much of a great expecience. Probably everybody had the dungeon memorised since they were going at full speed and I barely could keep with them. No time to stop and observe the dungeon design, read the quests at the entrance, etc...

Yeah, early-game dungeons, especially after the Cata-revamp 'initial' run through, are mainly used for their massive XP, rather than an actual group outing.

Especially for some classes/new players without heirlooms, as non-casters with full heirlooms can blaze through mob packs they otherwise wouldn't be able to before, say, my mage can even get more than a cast or two off.

Robin64

My friends and I that picked up the game at launch were so new to even just the notion of an MMO that we didn't even realise that Deadmines was an "instanced dungeon". It was just a harder location that we had to play a bit more seriously to get through one evening. Absolute sense of mystery that I can never ever have back. A shame in a way.

I also remember getting intro Redridge and killing a spider that dropped a GREEN item. I excitedly messaged all my friends about being in a "high level area", so they caught me up and we started slaughtering all these spiders for their awesome green items.

My friends and I that picked up the game at launch were so new to even just the notion of an MMO that we didn't even realise that Deadmines was an "instanced dungeon".

Oh right, I did not realise until right now that we were alone. I suppose I'm used to that from Destiny.

Well, seven days left on the sub. I don't really know if there's anything interesting or cool to do. It's been three fun weeks playing on random days, but I can't devote a lot more of time at the moment.

ViciousDS

Banned
My friends and I that picked up the game at launch were so new to even just the notion of an MMO that we didn't even realise that Deadmines was an "instanced dungeon". It was just a harder location that we had to play a bit more seriously to get through one evening. Absolute sense of mystery that I can never ever have back. A shame in a way.

I also remember getting intro Redridge and killing a spider that dropped a GREEN item. I excitedly messaged all my friends about being in a "high level area", so they caught me up and we started slaughtering all these spiders for their awesome green items.

-LF run through DM! 15s!-

Back when high levels would run folks through lower level dungeons to get money towards their mounts lol.

If a person was testing a build or spec balance they would do test runs for free.....it took even with a level 60 a good while to get through an early dungeon. I remember casting a spell in DM at level 11 and agro'ed the entire fucking dungeon hahahaha.......I couldn't stop laughing as I didn't mean to do it on purpose.

I really do miss the sense of mystery and discovery. Hell now that I think about it......I really wish when I was younger I cared less about leveling and didn't use quest helper. I never read the quest text. When I logged into a vanilla *cough* server last year though.....it was enjoyable without tons of addons and just enjoying questing for what it was. Killing every mob on your way to the objectives as not to flag everything and get yourself killed. Anything beyond two ads as a mage even just normal PvE could spell the end of you. You really felt engaged into the world where you had to work with others to do massive tasks.....like it should

Lomax

No, honestly most Vanilla era dungeons were a living hell. I remember a 4+ hour long wailing caverns run where we kept wiping and getting lost. No one ran BRD basically at all because it was too low for 60s but by the low 50s there were better options, and it was massive and confusing. It was hard to get quest runs for LBRS because people only wanted to 10 man it and blast through. Basically, all the vanilla dungeons *seemed* like great design; creative, massive places to get lost in, but in execution, they often sucked. Not to mention having to manually put together groups and go to the dungeon on foot. Hell as a warlock half of what got me into groups easily was the ability to summon people.

Tacitus_

Eugh, Wailing Caverns without a map. BRD and LBRS are still awfully easy to get lost even with a map. Maraudon was also pretty trippy if no one had the portal staff to skip to the end.

There's a reason they went with Scarlet Monastery as their base for future dungeons.

Lomax

They discussed it a lot around WotLK. They mentioned how people will describe the dungeons they "like" and mention things like Durnholde, but Blizzard knows which ones people actually play, and they don't match up with that. People play the path of least resistance. That's always true when you have content that is repeated. Everything can be great *once* but being enjoyable or even tolerable over and over is completely different.

ViciousDS

Banned
Made a priest there this past week. Westfall was very active, as was Darkshire. If you're in need of a social guild, check out Facepalm.

yes, just submitted an application to Facepalm.....long discussion with someone from there.....they seem like a good group

-LF run through DM! 15s!-

People called it VC back then. DM was Dire Maul.

They discussed it a lot around WotLK. They mentioned how people will describe the dungeons they "like" and mention things like Durnholde, but Blizzard knows which ones people actually play, and they don't match up with that. People play the path of least resistance. That's always true when you have content that is repeated. Everything can be great *once* but being enjoyable or even tolerable over and over is completely different.

Durnholde was the bane of my existence. It was required for the TBC Attunement early on and nobody wanted to fucking run it. The worst was having to do CoT:BM like 2-3 times for the entire attunement--especially since it was so far away from everything and it wasn't until later that they implemented the CoT port from Shat.

Tenebrous

Yet they're bringing back Violet Hold.

Thanks, Blizzard! >.>

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
3zi39qN.png

LuBmkBW.gif

Now if only Life Binder could drop... I could say goodbye to Spine of Deathwing forever!

Galava

I just came back to WoW. I had the legendary ring questline halted gathering the 900 stones, so I'm going that. I'm having a blast doing the timewalking dungeons and doing all the dailies on tanaan.

Didn't think I could still enjoy this game a lot after all these years. Let's hope Legion improves the game :D

ViciousDS

Banned
at this point, with how quickly you can burn the old dungeons, they might as well just quick revamp them to solo dungeons and have the newer ones requiring grouping. Add hero NPC's or something to do them with you......because its already a mindless plow anyways

Tacitus_

Blizzard has always had a love for PopCap, so it's a Bejewelled reference--there was a while where a mod allowed you to play a version of Bejewelled in-game, but I think it got broken by a patch.

There also was a poker mod. Used to kill time with it during some BT raids >_>

Entropia

No One Remembers
françois;201043688 said:
Wasn't there a Peggle addon aswell? I remember playing that quite a bit when I was waiting for raids to start.

Yeah that was in Wrath, I believe. I played that taking flight paths.

Top Bottom