• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Female trolls are kind of terrifying, particularly their facial expression when they jump.

What's more terrifying are some of the people you end up queuing with. Like a husband/wife and having the husband take issue with how un-politely I asked to have Aspect of the Pack turned the fuck off in an instance after multiple polite attempts. Why is Aspect of the Pack even a thing that affects anyone but the Hunter? Is there an instance in which it isn't completely awful for a raid/party? They should add a debuff to it so that insta-gibbs the hunter the moment someone else in the party gets mini-stunned.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
People really don't like hunters huh? I just joined a timewalking dungeon on my hunter alt, and before we begin anything, I'm already called "huntard".

Good thing they changed their mind after I haven't used Aspect of the Pack once, or left my pet's taunt on, or pulled an extra group with Barrage.

I suppose one thing Blizzard could do is to automatically turn off pet's taunt when you enter an instance. Or automatically turn off Aspect of the pack when you enter combat.

Serious question though - are there any tips for instructing people on how to deal with Mark of the Legion, or do I just have to pray we get pulls where no one is an idiot?

Currently using Mark of the Legion helper addon with world markers in standard formation (yellow/orange melee, melee blows up first).

We tried DBM's built-in solution, but that didn't seem to be as effective. And I don't think the weak aura would really work for us with a small handful of people being subbed in or out every week.

Getting the star mark in position quick enough (the one that blows up first) seems to be an issue for some people.

It's become an issue because people are fucking up the MotL mechanic more than anything else - I believe we haven't had a clean attempt going into the second dance as of yet, and that's when the overlaps get difficult.

Tacitus_

Serious question though - are there any tips for instructing people on how to deal with Mark of the Legion, or do I just have to pray we get pulls where no one is an idiot?

I don't think there's any shortcut there. Just gotta repeat it until people learn to go where they gotta go.

If your melee marks are wiping you, your raid members are too far back or they are not reacting fast enough.

Quote to see VOD of last night by the way. Skip to about halfway through for the better attempts and to avoid the rage quit drama 1-3 pulls in. (Hunter perspective, not my own.) I already know where the most egregious fuckups are now thanks to reviewing the VOD perspective, but if anyone wants to point out anything else...

Also can link logs if anyone is interested as well (I know I could be doing better myself, but I tend to end up focusing on calling things out, besides the fact that we're not really getting to experience the experience the extremely long Unholy execute phase.)

And normally we have a disc priest as the 3rd healer/doomfire manager, but we had to pull in a resto druid who's less skilled/geared since our priest was only able to show up with like 20 minutes left in raid.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the minor things that I'm most excited about in Legion is the level/quest scaling. If just for how nice it'll be to start in different zones with different characters and actually being able to finish all the quests there.

Lomax

One of the minor things that I'm most excited about in Legion is the level/quest scaling. If just for how nice it'll be to start in different zones with different characters and actually being able to finish all the quests there.

Here's hoping they actually make the meta achievement account wide this time.

Aspect of the Pack is dead in Legion. Rejoice!

Thank fuck.

People really don't like hunters huh? I just joined a timewalking dungeon on my hunter alt, and before we begin anything, I'm already called "huntard".

Good thing they changed their mind after I haven't used Aspect of the Pack once, or left my pet's taunt on, or pulled an extra group with Barrage.

I suppose one thing Blizzard could do is to automatically turn off pet's taunt when you enter an instance. Or automatically turn off Aspect of the pack when you enter combat.

It's because Hunter's have the capacity to fuck more things up than any other class in the game and have the tools to get away with it.

ampere

^ No. If players can't manage to do something that simple, they deserve to be kicked.

Some people are chill and not experts at the game, there's no harm in making QoL improvements that make random grouping smoother.

Hunter pet taunt shouldn't taunt off tank specialized players. This mechanic is already in place for the tank pet Xuen for Brewmasters, so the code is there.

Aspect of the Pack is simply awful design

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not gonna kick a hunter with taunt on. Because I've definitely had it on before from soloing and forgot to turn it off. I hate shit like addons like 'bad pet' because it's like 'give the fucking hunter a second'

now there's no excusing a lock with blueberry out

Peachpies

Currently using Mark of the Legion helper addon with world markers in standard formation (yellow/orange melee, melee blows up first).

We tried DBM's built-in solution, but that didn't seem to be as effective. And I don't think the weak aura would really work for us with a small handful of people being subbed in or out every week.

Getting the star mark in position quick enough (the one that blows up first) seems to be an issue for some people.

It's become an issue because people are fucking up the MotL mechanic more than anything else - I believe we haven't had a clean attempt going into the second dance as of yet, and that's when the overlaps get difficult.
We have everyone assigned to soak a specific marker so only the people who actually get the marks might have to change where they go. That way, unless people are REALLY bad, you only have 4 people that really have to react to the mechanic.

phierce

Some people are chill and not experts at the game, there's no harm in making QoL improvements that make random grouping smoother.

Hunter pet taunt shouldn't taunt off tank specialized players. This mechanic is already in place for the tank pet Xuen for Brewmasters, so the code is there.

Aspect of the Pack is simply awful design
If we're talking while leveling up, sure. I agree completely. Problem is, it happens in heroic dungeons and even raids. Players should know by then, plain and simple. Not have their class managed for them. That's all I was saying. My main raiding alt is a hunter, so not just calling them out...it's just pure laziness and lack of class awareness that causes shit that gives them the bad name.

They don't have to be hardcore or experts to do/not do what we're talking about. Come on.

(I do agree aspect is awful. So long the days of using it to beat anub in og naxx lol)

Milennia

Quote to see VOD of last night by the way. Skip to about halfway through for the better attempts and to avoid the rage quit drama 1-3 pulls in. (Hunter perspective, not my own.) I already know where the most egregious fuckups are now thanks to reviewing the VOD perspective, but if anyone wants to point out anything else...

Also can link logs if anyone is interested as well (I know I could be doing better myself, but I tend to end up focusing on calling things out, besides the fact that we're not really getting to experience the experience the extremely long Unholy execute phase.)

And normally we have a disc priest as the 3rd healer/doomfire manager, but we had to pull in a resto druid who's less skilled/geared since our priest was only able to show up with like 20 minutes left in raid.
Outside of making groups for marks and the handholding weak aura there really isn't much more you can do, people just have to not fuck up which is fairly simple to be honest.

They have to be standing directly on the mark and everybody right behind them, if they aren't getting to their marks quick enough using an add on or weak aura as a handhold that's on their own reaction time.

Maybe it's just HFC, but I Feel like the pug environment in WOD is even worse than MOP. I could usually clear a flex SoO easily and even do about halfway on a normal until issues happen.

Of the five groups I've joined today, none have made it past assault. And I'm top dps at 701 ilvl. And every group is 'All tier reserved, all weapons reserved, all trinkets reserved'

It is. People are just shit. My guild has to pug some nights and people just don't get it. We try to give them the benefit of the doubt and explain shit but nine times out of ten they just fuck up anyway. It wasn't like that in mists.

ch0mp

You can make this easier to handle. When mark is coming, if you dont have a blink or speed buff, move to the centre of the room in the middle of the marks. It's quite clear people are too far away or reacting too slow when they get the marker.

People with the mark on them also need to know that it knocks them BACKWARDS whichever way they are facing. I saw people knocking themselves off the platform with it.

My guild had problems with the markers too. We ended up disabling every addon that would /say; dbm/bigwigs etc and demoting everyone except our raid lead, so there was no conflicting info going out, only markers on peoples heads.

I also noticed during p2 that you're doing the 2nd wrought, chains and dogs all at once. If you kill that deathcaller there then hold dps at about 58-59%, you can handle wrought and chains, then move and push to 55% with everyone stacked up under the boss. We found doing it like that was much cleaner, and we could push before any more mechanics came out. Having no adds going into p3 is nice for more boss dps. Can see what I mean here.

*during infernals you want to kill them in the order they spawn, so theres less chance of them doing their aoe. Gets more important in 3rd and 4th waves.

Legitimately surprised at how much competition there is over Skettis dailies in Terokkar. Even with CRZ. A lot of people just skip past most, if not all, Burning Crusade content through the dungeon queue. Even if you do level in Hellfire Peninsula you can be leveled past BC content with just a few dungeon queues and half of the HFP zone quests.

Same logic applies. Instance loads and people are already bitching because the lock has his/her blueberry out. Give them a damn second to summon something more appropriate.

Just to avoid this I usually select a different pet once I start a queue, usually my imp, then I can do useful things on instance load like create a Soulwell and cast Soulstone on the tank.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Depressingly, this is the first expansion I've hit the 'I just log on to raid' part of my WoW career. And honestly, I have more fun playing Heroes with the same guildies than I do raiding.

The idea of gearing another alt to slum it in pugs is incredibly unappealing as well. Especially with all these class changes on the horizon. Even gold making has lost a lot of its luster for me.

Tenebrous

Depressingly, this is the first expansion I've hit the 'I just log on to raid' part of my WoW career. And honestly, I have more fun playing Heroes with the same guildies than I do raiding.

The idea of gearing another alt to slum it in pugs is incredibly unappealing as well. Especially with all these class changes on the horizon. Even gold making has lost a lot of its luster for me.

I WOULD be tempted to gear up an alt, but even after getting heroic edict/insignia on my moonkin, I'm still held back drastically by my inability to grind for another fucking legendary ring. Can barely get into heroic groups without it, never mind use it as a viable mythic raiding alt.

The age of Oprah legendaries definitely disincentivizes sinking much time into alts, especially in the case of the ring where simply acquiring it isn't enough anymore - you have to power it up over an additional ~4-5 weeks (previously 20 weeks). It's definitely something I'm not a fan of. Speaking as someone with 2 characters with rings, one maxed, one not (with that character kinda retired at the moment), and other alts on various stages of the quest. The power differential between a maxed ring and a fresh one, or even not having one at all is just so ridiculous.

Zelias

Banned
As someone who would never have got legendaries under the old, pre-MoP paradigm... I actually hate the new system. I never minded that those items weren't for me - it made them feel legendary. Now they're a chore necessary to get anywhere in raiding. That's not legendary to me, it's just dull and forced.

And while I can go back and experience the story of Shadowmourne or Dragonwrath now if I was so inclined, I can't go and get the MoP cloaks and that story is forever lost to me, as is the ability to challenge Ordos (at least until Bliz arbitrarily removes that restriction in patch 8.2.1 or whatever).

Robin64

So, you like Legendaries, eh? Well have all the Legendaries in the world!

AGLeg.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I hope I find a legendary early for a class I don't play so that I can sell it to fund like half a year of a sub.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
As someone who would never have got legendaries under the old, pre-MoP paradigm... I actually hate the new system. I never minded that those items weren't for me - it made them feel legendary. Now they're a chore necessary to get anywhere in raiding. That's not legendary to me, it's just dull and forced.

Yeah, I understand the 'why does only X class get the legendary', but the movement of a legendary to a 'necessit' for casual/pug raiding (to an arguable degree, but w/e) rather than one or two raiders getting it definitely changes the feel of the legendary, and not for the better.

The 'catch-up' mechanisms via the garrison/ship missions definitely help for the first parts, but still having that final step reliant on doing LFR (or higher) HFC to try and get lucky on the 33 tomes defeats the purpose, and prevents 'casual' alts getting the ring without a significant weekly time sink for 3-5 weeks.

Granted, they're alts, not mains, but it still feels like a chore, rather than a 'treat'.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, you like Legendaries, eh? Well have all the Legendaries in the world!

AGLeg.jpg

While this is a neat concept.... This basically is making Legendaries feel how you felt about Purples in Vanilla. Your average joe schmoe was in blue and greens with maybe 1 random epic, your raiders were in full purples.

From my understanding, these Legendaries also carry some pretty powerful procs? Does that mean I'll give up a set bonus for them?

Maybe I'll do more research. I looked at a couple, they seemed to not have raid-breaking procs.

Fjordson

I like the MoP / WoD route of getting that one special legendary through a long quest line with some good story. It was fun to progress through those as the expansions went on and felt rewarding when you finished (at least for me). But adding any more than that could feel like overkill.

ZenaxPure

From my understanding, these Legendaries also carry some pretty powerful procs? Does that mean I'll give up a set bonus for them?

Maybe I'll do more research. I looked at a couple, they seemed to not have raid-breaking procs.

Not at the start at least. You are limited to 1 legendary until later into the expansion when they will up the count. They are also disabled in mythic raiding entirely until some point in the future after the world first race is over (I'd imagine tied to some minor patch or something but who knows).

Your first sentence is pretty much what they said at Blizzcon. The legendaries are designed to be similar to world drop epics from vanilla, a thing you occasionally see and get super excited about (with the one difference that these items will actually be useful). They did imply at Blizzcon that there will be systems in place so that if you try long enough you can get them but they have not gone into any sort of specifics on that stuff.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
While this is a neat concept.... This basically is making Legendaries feel how you felt about Purples in Vanilla. Your average joe schmoe was in blue and greens with maybe 1 random epic, your raiders were in full purples.

i would imagine you probably wouldnt want to break a set bonus, but who knows. some classes might suck a lot.

Tacitus_

The Legion Returns August 30

Defenders of the Alliance and the Horde—a great and ancient enemy has set its sights on Azeroth once more, and soon the land will be consumed in a storm of fel fire. On August 30, kingdoms will burn, heroes will fall, and the world will stand on the precipice of destruction with the launch of World of Warcraft: Legion!

All hellfire is about to break loose, so steel yourself for the return of the Burning Legion by pre-purchasing World of Warcraft: Legion digitally at www.wowlegion.com. Players who pre-purchase will receive an instant level-100 character boost, as well as unlock early access to the new Demon Hunter hero class prior to the expansion’s release.

Learn more about the sixth World of Warcraft expansion on our Legion site, and read the full press release.

I expected summer release... but autumn? What the fuck Blizz.

ViciousDS

Banned
Same logic applies. Instance loads and people are already bitching because the lock has his/her blueberry out. Give them a damn second to summon something more appropriate.

I didn't have this complaint once last night.....even sending in the blueberry on first go i noticed and hurried to deactivate his taunts. Said sorry in chat, we all LOL'ed and my imp was out insta summoned since there really isn't much to burn my shards on as a DoT lock.

Also doesn't Aspect of the pack fucking stun anyone hit? It really should just deactivate the effect until combat is exited like......every mmorpg out there right now for movement buffs.

edit: holy shit is that over a year without a content patch? God damn thats fucking terrible

Babalu.

August 30th boys

Hey at least they beat that September 30th date everyone said was WAY too far out and wrong.

That means that in order to get 20 Archimonde kills and 20 mounts before August 30th, you have to have killed him starting last week.

that is if the pre-legion event doesn't take the mount away or lower the chance already.
'

Top Bottom