• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I could see a lot of people waiting to see what Legion's post-release support is going to be like before they commit to WoW again.

the expansion will be too old by that time. the only time people jump back in is at the start of the expansion. why would anyone jump in during the second tier of content and be way behind in gearing?

the expansion will be too old by that time. the only time people jump back in is at the start of the expansion. why would anyone jump in during the second tier of content and be way behind in gearing?

This.

People are conditioned after MoP and WoD to join early or face a punishing catchup curve. Blame legendary rings/capes for that.

Left behind what exactly? Playing the same few raids ad nauseum for a year. If you're in a competitive guild that's concerned with world/region/server first raid and difficulty clears, I get it. You want to be in from the very start to stay competitive but if you're casual about raiding why rush headlong to be on the bleeding edge of content when future content updates might be too few and/or subpar?

Lomax

Punishing catch up? Way behind after one content patch? If anything the recent history says that all the gear you get prior to a content patch will be immediately garbage and newly leveled characters will catch up in a day. Besides, we're not talking about core raiders here, those suckers people are going to be in day one no matter what. We're talking about the dabblers, the ones that buy expansions and play for a couple months, or possibly new players. And the gear curve isn't really going to matter to any of them. It's going to be about "is this worthwhile for $50."

so i have 4 months to

- cap my druid
- get my priest's ring
- actually down archimonde and mannaroth in real raids
- cap my paladin
- cap my hunter
- cap my dk
- get them all mogged

not bad, lots to do for me til launch

cdyhybrid

Punishing catch up? Way behind after one content patch? If anything the recent history says that all the gear you get prior to a content patch will be immediately garbage and newly leveled characters will catch up in a day. Besides, we're not talking about core raiders here, those suckers people are going to be in day one no matter what. We're talking about the dabblers, the ones that buy expansions and play for a couple months, or possibly new players. And the gear curve isn't really going to matter to any of them. It's going to be about "is this worthwhile for $50."
The legendary cloak and ring were mandatory for any relatively serious PVE and had huge time gates due to raid lockouts.

Lomax

The legendary cloak and ring were mandatory for any relatively serious PVE and had huge time gates due to raid lockouts.

I was caught up to the tomes stage of the ring on two characters within two months of buying WoD, and I didn't even try hard. There will be catch up mechanics, especially since we know it will most likely be part of the artifacts and not a stand alone legendary this time. And anyone waiting to see the quality of content and support isn't going to feel pressed to try to immediately be in the raiding scene. Besides in the first month or so there's always a gap between the people that push hard and level super fast and immediately start end game stuff and the people that move slower. And we already know flying won't even be in the game until at least the first content patch.

cdyhybrid

I was caught up to the tomes stage of the ring on two characters within two months of buying WoD, and I didn't even try hard. There will be catch up mechanics, especially since we know it will most likely be part of the artifacts and not a stand alone legendary this time. And anyone waiting to see the quality of content and support isn't going to feel pressed to try to immediately be in the raiding scene. Besides in the first month or so there's always a gap between the people that push hard and level super fast and immediately start end game stuff and the people that move slower. And we already know flying won't even be in the game until at least the first content patch.

:lol

I mean, if you don't think two months of catch-up (and still being another month or more away) is punishing, that's fine. I do.

That said, it really depends on how hard it is to max out your artifact. It won't be absolutely time-gated like the ring and the cloak, but guilds will probably want at least a baseline of artifact perks.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

I mean, if you don't think two months of catch-up (and still being another month or more away) is punishing, that's fine. I do.

That said, it really depends on how hard it is to max out your artifact. It won't be absolutely time-gated like the ring and the cloak, but guilds will probably want at least a baseline of artifact perks.

legendary ring/cloak (or at least being a certain amount of time away from it) was a must for recruiting in our guild. i dont see how that will change with Artifacts. we will probably require a certain artifact power level or whatever it is to qualify for raiding.

if anything, artifacts are meant to be an expansion-long grind, i imagine it will take at least a month or two at any given time to get up to where other people are. they're just giving us our legendaries at the beginning of the process.

Lomax

Again, this isn't about the top 1% or 5% or even 10%. Those people bought Legion the day it was announced. This is about the 2+ million people who bought WoD and have since quit. And however many more are only still playing because it is free. How many of them will pay $50? But if the buzz after release ends up being good, there could be a nice bump with a sale around Christmas, or with a content patch.

The point is, it's not that hard to catch up, if anything it's easier than ever. People change classes and characters and servers all the time. If someone is disgruntled enough with the game to wait and see on Legion, they aren't going to somehow be screwed permanently.

Modsushi

I'll resub for this expac after taking a break from WoD. Probably play it for a couple months. Excited for melee hunters. :) I have my hopes up for a launch event on par with Wrath's. Fingers crossed!

cdyhybrid

Again, this isn't about the top 1% or 5% or even 10%. Those people bought Legion the day it was announced. This is about the 2+ million people who bought WoD and have since quit. And however many more are only still playing because it is free. How many of them will pay $50? But if the buzz after release ends up being good, there could be a nice bump with a sale around Christmas, or with a content patch.

The point is, it's not that hard to catch up, if anything it's easier than ever. People change classes and characters and servers all the time. If someone is disgruntled enough with the game to wait and see on Legion, they aren't going to somehow be screwed permanently.

"Not that hard" is entirely subjective.

Lomax

Yes, I get it, people who fancy themselves upper tier raiders will want to come back at the expansion launch. But what you're arguing is that anyone who doesn't come back right at launch won't come back at all, and if that's the case, well then yes, this game is screwed. Except we know that isn't the case, people come and go all the time for all sorts of different reasons.

Finished up Terokkar and Nagrand, moving on to Blade's Edge Mountain.

pgCRv7I.jpg

OTuFhhP.jpg

bvSZQiR.jpg

GVx2S3N.jpg

I really like how they handled faction rep in the Burning Crusade. Each zone has its own faction(s). Most rep gain occurs from completing zone quests or dungeons within those zones. Each zone/faction has a rep currency on top of the zone/dungeon gain, although a few are exclusively currency/dailies. You can flat out ignore the currencies, which are also vendor trash or can be sold on the AH, for the factions that have quest and dungeon gains.

ViciousDS

Banned
so the more I read up on class changes the more I actually want to try other classes because they sound cool.

Especially Rogue Outlaws.....they sound so fucking cool. Also loving the Hunter changes.

I'm actually glad they are turning the specs into more of an advanced class then just expanding on the class. Basically a hunter is the class and when you spec you get the job for that class....or how Aion had Warrior turn into Glad and Templar. This time Warrior goes into Fury, Arms, and Prot............they are trying to make them more unique to their own.

I'm actually thinking about holding off on leveling alts till legion just to have fun leveling with all the changes

Ullus

Always ignored the rogue class but decided to level one for real, and I'm having a blast. It's like you have the power of a warrior with the speed and mobility of a hunter. Really enjoying it.

Should probably give mage a proper try, which is another class I've ignored. Perhaps it's more fun to play than it looks.

mileS

Sorry if this discussion is getting old now but I'd figure I'll put my 2cents in anyway. I agree that most people don't learn or care. When the expansion comes out they give it a try anyway. WoD dragged me back in like they always do, but I enjoyed just about all of the content early on. First raid was eh though. It was more the promise of things to come that kept the hardcore raiders going (it obviously isn't the real thing until tier gear comes) I enjoyed min maxing my garrison and alllll the endless things that felt good to get done on a daily basis. Couple months later and that dropped off completely. Hard to explain why really.

At the end of the day I look at garrison's as being both a brilliant success but rather huge social problem. I will go into legion with an open mind like I always do. Except this time I won't entertain wild aspirations of trying to be good at everything. That was always one of my biggest problems for burning out. Would be nice to treat it more casual this time. Playing other games is fun sometimes lol.

This will probably be the first expansion I don't come back for. WoD really soured me on their design philosophy for the game and I don't see them rectifying that. I cannot express how fundamentally opposed and frustrated I am with everything that garrisons represented and undermined.

That said, it's got to say something about the game that I still enjoy reading up about it and staying in the loop. Although I'm weird and like reading patch notes for Dota 2 even though I don't play that anymore either.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The changes to Windwalkers talents and some of their pruning makes them look a lot more appealing in Legion to me.
Anyone have any guesses about what the raid scene will look like on Proudmoore or Hyjal when Legion drops? (US)
Well, Proudmoore has EK and they will likely still be running teams in Legion. That's pretty much your only option if you want to go Mythic right now though. You can definitely find some decent heroic raid groups but with Legion launching, lots of people will come back and there will likely be some raid teams at the start.

Milennia

Anyone have any guesses about what the raid scene will look like on Proudmoore or Hyjal when Legion drops? (US)

Friend of mine myst has a guild on hyjal, its supposedly quite crowded, i see a top 20 guild etc. so not too bad. server seems healthy enough.
I know my friends guild nap time and the top 20 guild are healthy and will exist in legion at least.

Proudmoore has 1 guild formality, dont really know any of these groups but no top 100 guilds.
server is nice at least in terms of populace but the raid scene looks pretty bleak if you care about competition or rank etc.

cdyhybrid

The changes to Windwalkers talents and some of their pruning makes them look a lot more appealing in Legion to me.

Well, Proudmoore has EK and they will likely still be running teams in Legion. That's pretty much your only option if you want to go Mythic right now though. You can definitely find some decent heroic raid groups but with Legion launching, lots of people will come back and there will likely be some raid teams at the start.

Friend of mine myst has a guild on hyjal, its supposedly quite crowded, i see a top 20 guild etc. so not too bad. server seems healthy enough.
I know my friends guild nap time and the top 20 guild are healthy and will exist in legion at least.

Proudmoore has 1 guild formality, dont really know any of these groups but no top 100 guilds.
server is nice at least in terms of populace but the raid scene looks pretty bleak if you care about competition or rank etc.

I see. I don't think I'd be willing or able to put in the time to push for top-100 Gul'dan kills or whatever (unless I luck out and find a REALLY badass 2-raid-night guild), but I'd like to do (and clear) Mythic eventually.

Sounds like Hyjal would probably be better, which is fine with me since all my characters are Horde anyway :p

Thanks for the info!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yesterday I watched soda get to 100 in 5 hours. He had help and did RaF plus every other buff, but still it reminded me what the majority of the leveling experience is now.

Sit somewhere and dungeon finder.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So, like a lot of us probably have been doing, the last few months I've been really only logging into wow to farm gold thanks to garrison missions.

At first, around September, I was only really doing it semi serious - I think I made around 90k across two characters and then later on started running the 3 cata raids every week whenever I could be bothered.

Since around the start of the year I realised how it was stupid not to be taking advantage of the gold missions and because there isn't a hell of a lot of other interesting things to do in WoD I wanted to see how much gold I could make before Legion's release.

If I remember right, from mid jan to feb (30 days) I made around 60k on each of the 3 chars I had (that was the best I could do), so around 180k. Then I smashed it last month making 75k each for around 225k and added a fourth char to help out later on. I genuinely thought I'd have a really tough time trying to repeat the 75k given how I would struggle on some days to put together even 1000g but I absolutely killed it this month. I ended up making 375k. 95k, 103k, 95k and even made 81k on my new char. I did "cheat" a little by taking the AH more seriously in the later half of the month (selling gems, flasks, raid food etc) mainly because it needs to be all cleared out before Legion but I really didn't expect to get that much! I think overall I'm now up to around 1.5 million. it'll be interesting to see if I can repeat it. To think there could be another 3 months to go before they nerf it. Thanks WoD garrisons.

I think in the past I would have been lucky to have 20k at any given time; I was always just happy to sit broke the whole time.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So if you're a returning player how long does it take to get to the point where Garrisons are a money maker (for now)?

It takes a while, I'd be saying around a month or more if starting from scratch.

You need to be level 100.

You need a level 3 garrison.

You need Level 3 of each of your buildings. Some of them you need to do certain things to unlock the last level like currently I'm trying to fish 100 of around 6 different types of fish to get the level 3 fishing shack. I don't remember if they are account wide unlocks. And it takes a while to farm the resources and gold needed to buy them all. LIke 3000g per building + the same in garrison resources.

You need to level up all 25 of your followers which is just about keeping them running missions all the time, every day and slowly capping their item level with upgrades. You need at least half with the treasure hunter trait (gold boost) and maybe even the resource one. I forgot you actually have to go and find the followers out in the world along with getting the weekly one from your level 3 inn.

You need the shipyard which is really time consuming to get ready. You often get 1500g+ missions from it though. The annoyance in it is the chances of success and needing to run a certain amount of missions to level it up but the table not offering any that you need or can counter. Losing ships sucks and if you go by a ship guide, trying to get the ships you need through a random system is awful. It took me around 20-30 re-rolls to get a murloc ship which is around 1 hour wait each time without rush orders.

The buildings I use are: the inn (for treasure missions + 1 free "gold follower" per week), the bunker (for the follower pieces), the barracks (for +5 more follower limit), the salvage yard is alright (get caches of loot from missions).
There are others like the trading post that might be handy plus your profession building.

I don't even know if it'd be even worth it this late. Everything is gated so there's no real way to speed up the process. It's all about logging in 2-3 times a day for 30 minutes keeping work orders and table missions ticking over and managing a few other things.

ZenaxPure

So if you're a returning player how long does it take to get to the point where Garrisons are a money maker (for now)?

It's too late IMO for maximizing gold, you can only recruit around 20 more followers before Legion launches but follower gold is being nerfed in 7.0 so realistically you can only recruit around 15ish followers before it is gone (we don't know the exact date of 7.0 but those patches are usually about 1 month ahead of time). Realistically you only need about 10 treasure hunters but even including Harrison you're still looking at a couple of months just to recruit those characters. There just isn't enough time.

You could buy garrison resources on the AH and then buy trait reroll items and try to gamble your way to treasure hunter on normal followers, but, that sounds like a fools errand.

That said, if you have an army of level 100 characters you could give all of them 3 profession buildings and try to maximize work orders/follower cooldowns (like the JC quest or Inscription receipts). You can sell Enchanting and Alchemy work orders on the AH and with enough characters you can crank out a lot of them.

If you can't do any of those things then you are outta luck.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'll just keep farming old raids for pocket change then haha.

If you can do 25H Cata raids solo you can get 1.8-2.5k or more for each tier. Firelands is at least 1.5-2k, not sure how much individually BWD/BoT is, but I'm at 6.5k after being down to 100 gold on an alt for the two of them. 25H DS gave my main ~2.2k, IIRC, though Spine is a bitch.

Also ditto on the gated nature of gold-making. My main is just now getting the 8-10 followers with gold missions, and though between it and my alts making okay money on raiding mats, it's not as great at this point.

One potential way to speed things up is, if you've got access to treasure followers with a level 3 inn, is to get Harrison Jones ASAP, and get him to 675 ilevel ASAP. His mentor status lets you take along level 90 units (which would normally get 0 xp on high level missions) and get them leveled super quick.

You'd still need money from the Cata raids to get access to Frozen Arms of the Warrior, which lets you jump up 50 ilevels for both armor/weapon for followers, but it miiight eke you out with a net positive.

I'll have to try keeping track of follower missions. Goblin Ships seem especially worth it, but my usual treasure missions are 3-4 20-50 gold rewards initially, which only translates into 4-500 per day. Granted, that's not taking raiding mats, especially raiding mats or felblight-related stuff into account, but I'm not quite seeing those #s.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If you can do 25H Cata raids solo you can get 1.8-2.5k or more for each tier. Firelands is at least 1.5-2k, not sure how much individually BWD/BoT is, but I'm at 6.5k after being down to 100 gold on an alt for the two of them. 25H DS gave my main ~2.2k, IIRC, though Spine is a bitch.

Also ditto on the gated nature of gold-making. My main is just now getting the 8-10 followers with gold missions, and though between it and my alts making okay money on raiding mats, it's not as great at this point.

One potential way to speed things up is, if you've got access to treasure followers with a level 3 inn, is to get Harrison Jones ASAP, and get him to 675 ilevel ASAP. His mentor status lets you take along level 90 units (which would normally get 0 xp on high level missions) and get them leveled super quick.

You'd still need money from the Cata raids to get access to Frozen Arms of the Warrior, which lets you jump up 50 ilevels for both armor/weapon for followers, but it miiight eke you out with a net positive.

I'll have to try keeping track of follower missions. Goblin Ships seem especially worth it, but my usual treasure missions are 3-4 20-50 gold rewards initially, which only translates into 4-500 per day. Granted, that's not taking raiding mats, especially raiding mats or felblight-related stuff into account, but I'm not quite seeing those #s.

Not true, you can get around 1-1.5K XP with a lvl 100 XP quest on a low lvl follower(with lvl 100s to help of course), which is enough to at least give it one level per mission.

Harrison helps a lot sure, but without him, and by doing 2 high lvl XP missions per day, your lvl 90 can hit lvl 100 in 5 days if you don't feel like doing Harrison quests on all your alts.

Lomax

From my recent experience, the first month of setting up a garrison is quite a money sink (around 20k or so), but after it is running it makes about 6k or so a week (not including mats or profession items). So setting one up now could still be worthwhile for about a month or maybe two worth of profits, if you want to take the time, but that window is closing fast. Don't bother with the shipyard though, those missions are very erratic and it's a massive pain to optimize. You're probably not going to be able to get to the 675 missions either, but most of them are worthless at this point anyway.

Cata 25 Heroic bosses are basically worth 250g each. Throne is super quick and firelands of course has two mounts. Be aware that certain classes have issues soloing some bosses like Shannox.

Lomax

It's good gold if you have a few characters. Might be too late to invest in Garrisons, but making 250k before Legion would only require 3 characters capable of farming the Cata raids.

Yeah, even if you skip Dragon Soul, it's still 3500g per character per week in maybe 2 hours at the most once you're used to it. That's 60k per character before Legion.

Also don't underestimate running LFR (especially highmaul) for satchels, each one is about 600g and I see dps satchels up every day. Queue for those while clearing the old raids. And dps satchel runs are always super fast and smooth.

Top Bottom