• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

ZenaxPure

edit: holy shit is that over a year without a content patch? God damn thats fucking terrible

And shouldn't be surprising. Blizzard has been bad about content release/pacing in literally every single expansion. Vanilla is the last time they released shit at a reasonable rate.

Tacitus_

Hey at least they beat that September 30th date everyone said was WAY too far out and wrong.

That means that in order to get 20 Archimonde kills and 20 mounts before August 30th, you have to have killed him starting last week.

that is if the pre-legion event doesn't take the mount away or lower the chance already.
'

Just in time!

Lomax

And shouldn't be surprising. Blizzard has been bad about content release/pacing in literally every single expansion. Vanilla is the last time they released shit at a reasonable rate.

And the irony is that content was experienced by the lowest proportion of people. We've gone from the most content done by the least people to the least content done by the most people.

I just wish they'd drop this whole "releasing expansions faster" facade. Pace content to release over two years. Plan for a two year expansion cycle. Develop more than one tier from the beginning. No one wants to buy expansions more often other than the accountants at Activision. People just want a steady stream of content at a reasonable pace.

Hey at least they beat that September 30th date everyone said was WAY too far out and wrong.

That means that in order to get 20 Archimonde kills and 20 mounts before August 30th, you have to have killed him starting last week.

that is if the pre-legion event doesn't take the mount away or lower the chance already.
'

I guess it's a good thing then at least about a quarter of the people on my team don't need one or shouldn't be getting one anyway -_-

CRACKING DOWN ON MISTAKES THIS WEEK BOIS

Tenebrous

Fucking why!?!?

I'm not surprised, but the disappointment is still insane. I'll have that ugly archi mythic mount before Legion at least.

Zelias

Banned
At this point I wonder if Blizzard are just going to drop their flaky commitment to getting expacs out faster. For whatever reason they clearly just can't do it, even after the content-dry disaster that has been WoD.

Legion better knock it out of the park.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Later than I had hoped for sure. I was still holding onto a nugget of belief that they would get it out in July. Oh well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So that makes, what, 14 months of playing the same raid content. Is that a new record?

Schools start in September, which means summer is over by September. And 30th of August might as well be 1st of September.

My logic is flawless!

Autumn actually start on September 21st, so you're still 3 weeks off. Still count as summer. :p Not like Blizzard actually cares about what counts as "summer" to people still at school.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So that makes, what, 14 months of playing the same raid content. Is that a new record?

Autumn actually start on September 21st, so you're still 3 weeks off. Still count as summer. :p Not like Blizzard actually cares about what counts as "summer" to people still at school.

Apparently it will fall short of SoO's time by about 20 days.

cdyhybrid

This kinda just reinforces my belief that WoD was dead on arrival. They probably knew it wasn't up to snuff and practically abandoned it to get all hands on deck for Legion. Seems like they're basically all-in on Legion.

At least this will give me plenty of time to get HFC gear for my DK. Got Heroic 2pc last night 😁

ZenaxPure

And the irony is that content was experienced by the lowest proportion of people. We've gone from the most content done by the least people to the least content done by the most people.

I just wish they'd drop this whole "releasing expansions faster" facade. Pace content to release over two years. Plan for a two year expansion cycle. Develop more than one tier from the beginning. No one wants to buy expansions more often other than the accountants at Activision. People just want a steady stream of content at a reasonable pace.

Yeah, 100% agree. Said it a million times but 2 years with reasonable paced patches is pretty much the dream for me. I thought it worked so perfectly in vanilla and the way things went down in TBC, then Wrath, then Cata, then MoP, and now WoD has left me shaking my head each time. They really need to let go of this 1 year expansion plan that I've never seen anyone yelling from the rooftops about wanting anyway.

cdyhybrid

I wouldn't even mind a one-year cycle even though it's just a money-grab, since I can pay for my sub with gold now. They just clearly can't do that.

ZenaxPure

I wouldn't even mind a one-year cycle even though it's just a money-grab, since I can pay for my sub with gold now. They just clearly can't do that.

I mean yeah I guess :|

I'd prefer that situation to the one we have right now for sure, even if I don't like either.

Nere

This kinda just reinforces my belief that WoD was dead on arrival. They probably knew it wasn't up to snuff and practically abandoned it to get all hands on deck for Legion. Seems like they're basically all-in on Legion.

At least this will give me plenty of time to get HFC gear for my DK. Got Heroic 2pc last night 😁

Remember that the playerbase hit 10 million again during WoD release. The expansion wasn't successful because of Blizzard's handling of it after launch.

cdyhybrid

Remember that the playerbase hit 10 million again during WoD release. The expansion wasn't successful because of Blizzard's handling of it after launch.
All the stuff that brought those people back was in at launch. The leveling experience, etc. One people hit 100 and found out there was nothing to do but raid, it dropped off quickly and Blizzard didn't really do anything about it. Guessing they left a small team on 6.2 shortly after launch and pretty much wrote off the expansion otherwise.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah, 100% agree. Said it a million times but 2 years with reasonable paced patches is pretty much the dream for me. I thought it worked so perfectly in vanilla and the way things went down in TBC, then Wrath, then Cata, then MoP, and now WoD has left me shaking my head each time. They really need to let go of this 1 year expansion plan that I've never seen anyone yelling from the rooftops about wanting anyway.

its even better when they haven't hit one year.....since they announced faster expansions. They still seem to come out almost every 2 years

Robin64

Blech. Guess I'll just sub again when the pre-expansion event begins. FFXIV has me right now, that game gets content patches.

ViciousDS

Banned
yes, lol just checked Lich King was the only expansion to hit the 1 year mark....everything else is almost 2 years....they have not done a good job AT ALL.

So almost no content patches and they can't hit their yearly expansion promise.

Blizzard really can't do anything correctly.

They need to just release World of Warcraft 2, bring back vanilla in their own form and make everything fresh again....start the levels over.......levels are just becoming fucking insane. I mean 110......whats the next expansion going to do? 120......we will be at double the levels since the launch!

Five expansions have been released:
The Burning Crusade, released in January 2007
Wrath of the Lich King, released in November 2008
Cataclysm, released in December 2010
Mists of Pandaria, released in September 2012
Warlords of Draenor, released in November 2014
Legion now end of August 2016

Tacitus_

I don't know what funky calendar you've got there, but here autumn starts on september (literally called autumn month) It's also when the temps start dropping and it starts raini--- scratch that, low temps and rain is the usual summer anyway

>_>

Azzurri

I don't understand why Blizz treats WoW like the red headed stepchild since it's probably still their biggest money maker

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
WOTLK was even a bit of a cheat since they launched with a totally recycled raid.

Well, it also launched with the biggest new landmass and more new dungeons than any subsequent xpac, so I'd say that's kind of a wash.

Tacitus_

I don't understand why Blizz treats WoW like the red headed stepchild since it's probably still their biggest money maker

I dunno, Hearthstone must be printing money and they need a much smaller devteam. 40 million accounts is a lot of money from card packs.

Damn just resubbed and EU token prices are insane :(

What do you need to do in order to make 86k+ each month for the token? I have 3 lvl 100s and I don't think it's enough. How many lvl 100s do I need

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Siege was a good raid, at least. I barely did any of HFC before totally losing interest. I can't imagine folks doing it for a year.

its been grating, and mostly because the difficulty progression is off balance, especially in mythic. the 5th boss (Gorefiend) is harder than like 5 bosses after him.

Tacitus_

Siege was a good raid, at least. I barely did any of HFC before totally losing interest. I can't imagine folks doing it for a year.

On the plus side, you can skip a bunch of bosses if you only need loot from a specific boss.

Damn just resubbed and EU token prices are insane :(

What do you need to do in order to make 86k+ each month for the token? I have 3 lvl 100s and I don't think it's enough. How many lvl 100s do I need

I have 5 moneymaking garrisons + my main, do cata25 HCs once a week on my main and have my money garrisons making crystals out of thin air. Slowly gaining money.

Azzurri

I dunno, Hearthstone must be printing money and they need a much smaller devteam. 40 million accounts is a lot of money from card packs.

Yea, that's why I said probably because I bet HS is pretty close or makes a little more now.

Anyways, they failed pretty hard on capitalizing on the movie release in early June. I think any moment they had with the movie will be gone 2+ months later.

Another thing, they must have some serious tuning left to do if the xpac releases 4+ months from now.

JSoup

Banned
Ha. Everyone was like "it'll be around six months before Legion is out." We waited six months to found out we'll be waiting four months.

Tenebrous

Everyone comes back for the launch month.

I've spoken to people who came back for a few months in MoP & WoD who said they've no interest in coming back for Legion, and I believe most of them. Too busy with other games nowadays to bother with something as shit as current-state WoW.

Did just do another two CM's on Gold though. That was fun (albeit easy fun).

I'm thinking I might just buy the rest of my CMs. Don't know if I can be assed to finish them otherwise. Hopefully people don't inflate the price out the wazoo now that there's a date.

Lomax

Yeah I don't know that we'll see nearly the number of people willing to drop $50+ to dabble in Legion, and I think there's a good number of people out there like me who will have active accounts due to tokens but won't buy Legion until it goes on sale. Providing the least amount of content for the highest price yet doesn't make people feel valued as customers. The timing is also terrible, right as school starts back up and there's lots of expenses and other things to do. Of course we'll never know, but it seems extremely likely to me that Legion will be the worst selling expansion on release by a long shot.

It will be interesting to see how many people actually do come back for Legion. Sincerely doubt it will be the impressive, short-lived spike WoD experienced at launch.

Tenebrous

I strongly believe they sent WoD out to die. There's absolutely no way they didn't foresee what a shitstorm it was destined to be.

If you get a Garrison invasion on EU/Horde, please PM me on GAF and let me know. I really need to get those mounts.

I could see a lot of people waiting to see what Legion's post-release support is going to be like before they commit to WoW again.

I have Legion pre-ordered so I'm in until the first major content patch at least. I'm going to use this time between now and Legion to finally wrap up Loremaster. So finish up WotLK (1 and 1/2 zones worth of questing left on my Shaman) as well as finally play through Cata and Mists once I'm done farming a few things for my Paladin. That way if Legion ends up being a shitter like WoD, I won't feel bad pulling the ripcord on my sub and bailing on the game.

ZenaxPure

I'm going to take the way more cynical approach and say people never learn their lesson and will be back for Legion day 1. As big a spike as Warlords? No idea. To be honest they did a ridiculous amount of marketing for WoD I hadn't seen since like Wrath when they did those celeb ads. Dunno if they will put out that effort for Legion.

Top Bottom