• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Jag

I'm back doing some mount collecting (shoot me). Does it make any sense to use my opposite faction (Horde side) to grind up rep with the base factions to get their mounts? Or will it only count the achievement on my Alliance main, which has the most mounts currently.

Can only disagree amazingly with this.

Making 350 Draenic Agility Potions to get maxed alchemy from scratch is in no way as exciting as herbing across the world & leveling up a profession in a day or two.

Harbalism sucks unless you're a Tauren.

The only professions I've had fun leveling while I level a toon are Mining and Engineering. You make a lot of fun stuff for yourself and there are a lot of big ticket items you can aim for while leveling Engineering. Mining can sort of be fun when you come across rarer nodes or secondary resources.

cdyhybrid

I'm back doing some mount collecting (shoot me). Does it make any sense to use my opposite faction (Horde side) to grind up rep with the base factions to get their mounts? Or will it only count the achievement on my Alliance main, which has the most mounts currently.
Don't bother. It only counts mounts that any particular character could have access to at once.

Harbalism sucks unless you're a Tauren.

The only professions I've had fun leveling while I level a toon are Mining and Engineering. You make a lot of fun stuff for yourself and there are a lot of big ticket items you can aim for while leveling Engineering. Mining can sort of be fun when you come across rarer nodes or secondary resources.

Khorium if you ever find any is $$$$$$ Cause it's used in flying machines and some other random crap (Jeeves I think). Will probably be in even more demand in Legion for awhile with all the rare Khorium weapons for the wardrobe.

WoD didn't do much right, but the Coliseum is fucking awesome.

(Yeah I did just one shot the Last of Us - 740 prot warrior = easy mode).

So this prompted me to get a Gladiator's Sanctum. Finished my Laughing Skull rep and ditched the trading post this afternoon. (I have trading posts on everyone else, so losing it on the main isn't that bad - only rep not at exalted is the Ashran one.) But fuck man, like 2000 kills to get the level 3 building? Ugh.

Tacitus_

Can only disagree amazingly with this.

Making 350 Draenic Agility Potions to get maxed alchemy from scratch is in no way as exciting as herbing across the world & leveling up a profession in a day or two.

Meh, there's no difference in leveling your profession in garrison or in front of the AH. Gathering all the materials by yourself is so... inefficient.

Lomax

Meh, there's no difference in leveling your profession in garrison or in front of the AH. Gathering all the materials by yourself is so... inefficient.

Not only that, but the idea that the "gating" is new is just bizarre. Gating and crafting cooldowns have existed since at least Wrath. And leveling professions has never been easier and requires less "craft this crap and npc it if for a loss" than it ever has. And having major patterns locked behind drops was horrible, there was an enchanting pattern in mana tombs I farmed for months before I just gave up completely (I actually got it on a recent timewalking run appropriately enough), and remember world drop jewelcrafting patterns that all cost a fortune? Yeah, that was great.

Khorium if you ever find any is $$$$$$ Cause it's used in flying machines and some other random crap (Jeeves I think). Will probably be in even more demand in Legion for awhile with all the rare Khorium weapons for the wardrobe.

TBC mining mats made me so much money in WoD. I could make more gold off of one bar of Khorium than a stack of 200 WoD ores. Primal Fire makes some decent coin still too.

I missed that "jackpot!" feeling with WoD mining.

Not only that, but the idea that the "gating" is new is just bizarre. Gating and crafting cooldowns have existed since at least Wrath. And leveling professions has never been easier and requires less "craft this crap and npc it if for a loss" than it ever has. And having major patterns locked behind drops was horrible, there was an enchanting pattern in mana tombs I farmed for months before I just gave up completely (I actually got it on a recent timewalking run appropriately enough), and remember world drop jewelcrafting patterns that all cost a fortune? Yeah, that was great.

Actually no, that stuff was pretty cool and persisted at least through Cata. (To some extent in Mists) Maybe if you've never been invested in professions and just don't give a damn, but if you're a collector or goblin, having the rare recipe(s) early could make you a boatload of gold (e.g. Bracer enchants in Cata, Vial of the Sands), even if they might require a high initial investment. Everyone having equal everything as in WoD just detracted from the RPG experience IMO. But that's me - I like hunting recipes, making gold, etc.

---

Anyway, the titles the Alliance get from the Gladiator's sanctum are so much better than the Horde ones. Dis shit is gonna suck though. Guess I'll have to get into Ashran premades. 4000 fucking bones
facepalm.gif

Lomax

Actually no, that stuff was pretty cool and persisted at least through Cata. (To some extent in Mists) Maybe if you've never been invested in professions and just don't give a damn, but if you're a collector or goblin, having the rare recipe(s) early could make you a boatload of gold (e.g. Bracer enchants in Cata, Vial of the Sands), even if they might require a high initial investment. Everyone having equal everything as in WoD just detracted from the RPG experience IMO. But that's me - I like hunting recipes, making gold, etc.

It's fine for things like the Vial of the Sands and other cosmetic type stuff. That can be rare drops without causing any issues. But primary profession recipes being rare drops is just obnoxious. I made plenty of gold back in BC selling those drops when I found them, and I'm sure people made gold doing the crafting as well. But I knew just as many people who bought them so that they could do them for the guild and never made a dime. Blizzard has steadily moved towards "rare and hard to obtain" being primarily cosmetic, and that's for the better (though of course the new legendary system seems to go against that, but we'll see).

Again, the thing people seem to forget when talking about design is that complexity and rarity might be fun *once* but repeatedly is almost always just annoying, and in the end the player base will always follow the path of least resistance. Personally I like very complex crafting systems with rare results and real skill involved, but I understand that is better served in a single player game where you do that once, not in a MMO where you will do something dozens or even hundreds of times. Think of that one Harrison Jones quest where you forge the weapon. Could they make blacksmithing like that for every item? Absolutely. Would you enjoy it by the second week? Of course not.*

*Yes, I'm aware some people would enjoy it. But in large enough repetition, everything becomes tedious.

Fake edit: Adding rare drops and more complex recipes back into the game to craft cosmetic items, toys, mounts, and the like I think would be great. So long as it's for things that are done occasionally, not the staples and the basics.

ZenaxPure

Seeing the new login screen makes me excited for the new login screen music and the soundtrack in general. Can't wait to hear all the new awesome music.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So it's just better versions of the MoP challenge mode sets?

Cool I guess.

Not a fan of that log in screen, it's really mediocre.

Uh, no. The Warlock one in particular is totally inferior to the legit set.

RPGCrazied

Oboy, just saw some pictures on MMOChampion;

People outside Orgrimmar attending a funderal for Vol'jin it seems.

:(

Why did I click on that?
And who does the horde have left to be warchief. Are they really setting it up for Thrall to return to it?

Troll players aren't going to be happy about dat.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really?
LOL, why are they having random leaders take up the mantle? Who's next, Lor'themar?

Haven't you heard?
Horde get a new Warchief every expansion now.

Legion has Sylvanas.
Next one will have Gallywix

And when they're out of leaders, they'll either get Thrall back, or go back in time, again, for Durotan, or turn some Alliance leader traitor.

ZenaxPure

Uh, no. The Warlock one in particular is totally inferior to the legit set.

Yeah, the sets have most of the cool extra details taken off them, especially in the shoulder/hat area. They still look okay though, actually really liking the rogue one myself, just find some new shoulders (or better yet hide them completely) and I will be good to go.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
references to what?

Is that a dark souls sunguy?

Hixx

And continuing on from the Order Hall sets:

Death Knight
[IM.G]http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/520490.jpg[/IMG]

Rogue
[IM.G]http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/520491.jpg[/IMG]

Warlock
[IM.G]http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/520492.jpg[/IMG]

I quite like the Rogue set (despite the huge pauldron) but the Death Knight one is horrendous. The fur and the random green spots are ugly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After a few months, I really can't do the Alliance thing. I'll need to tell my guild that eventually. The aesthetics and lore just don't work for me the way the Horde ones do.

Stormwind is bunk, there's no sizable area for people to crowd in, just that crap-tastic fountain in between the auction house and bank in the Trade District. Most people ignore the superior Dwarven District. And the layout is a rats warren on made bearable by flying. Ironforge is where it's at, it's got the Commons and Great Forge. It's the closest thing there is to the Valley of Strength on Alliance.

Lomax

I understand the novelty/glamour items being pricey but who is going to buy a slightly larger bag for hundreds times the cost of crafted ones? That seems silly.

Top Bottom