• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Tenebrous

520482.jpg

Spider mount is 2 million gold, thanks Blizz, from all the arachnophobes.

Yeah I was gonna ask if anyone had seen this. Kinda ridiculous.

TheYanger

I understand the novelty/glamour items being pricey but who is going to buy a slightly larger bag for hundreds times the cost of crafted ones? That seems silly.

honestly...at 500,000 gold, it needs to be the only bag over 30 slots for at least another expansion. or we're getting insane inflation. Only way it's worth it.

Lomax

honestly...at 500,000 gold, it needs to be the only bag over 30 slots for at least another expansion. or we're getting insane inflation. Only way it's worth it.

Yeah, I mean the Haris Pilton bag was expensive, but it wasn't that outlandish compared to other stuff. Presumably the crafted bags will be 32 slots, so it would be the biggest bag in the game, but that's just silly for two more slots. It's not like the toy or the pet or the mount which you can at least show off. The ring is only 50k and that's more in line with what I'd expect the bag to be. Could be an indicator that the prices are only placeholders.

Azzurri

How come stormwind replaced ironforge as the main alliance Hub? I thought ironforge had the easiest setup since it was a big circle

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
That spider price is some straight up insanity for anyone like myself who only got in on the gold-making recently.

Even as a 'how rich are you really' mount, that's a dumb-as-shit way to try and decrease the inflation from garrisons. Especially IF it's the only one of its kind in Legion.

Presumably it won't be, if the mounts follow anything from Draenor's 6 base models + palette swaps and minor changes, but we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully it is just a placeholder.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That spider mount price has to be placeholder to test out their new gold cap. No way could they think that price is reasonable to anyone but the 1%s

Fail to kill Archimonde tonight, have tomorrow, but missing a key person or two probably :/

At least we got our 4th Mannoroth kill for the portal on most people.

Randy

That spider mount price has to be placeholder to test out their new gold cap. No way could they think that price is reasonable to anyone but the 1%s

I have no problem with that. Not everything has to be available to everyone. If one's main activity in WoW is to gather as much gold as he or she can, then this would be a fitting reward to show it off. Like raiders used to show off their epics back in the day etc... I kinda miss that in WoW, the visual representation of your achievements. It's what makes a character more or less unique.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have no problem with that. Not everything has to be available to everyone. If one's main activity in WoW is to gather as much gold as he or she can, then this would be a fitting reward to show it off. Like raiders used to show off their epics back in the day etc... I kinda miss that in WoW, the visual representation of your achievements. It's what makes a character more or less unique.

Or they just buy as many tokens as they can every time they're able to

Sölf

Well, I paused again until prepatch hits. I would love a spider mount, but since I am "broke" all the time (I don't even have 100k at the moment), I will probably never get this one.

Macrotus

Blizzard sent a free WoD expansion and a 7day free game time to my sub-account the other day.
Wish they'd sent the free game time to my main, so that I could finish up my legendary ring quest lol

But seriously, if they want to bring me back to the game, they should do a character service discount. I'm not going back until I'm able to transfer all 8 of my characters to a decently populated realm, but $200 just for character transfers is too steep.
Honestly, they should start doing bundle deals for character services.

520482.jpg

Spider mount is 2 million gold, thanks Blizz, from all the arachnophobes.

Is that from Legion alpha?
I guess Blizzard really wants to collect all that gold floating around.
That was one of the reasons they made the BMAH in the first place.

ZenaxPure

Presumably it won't be, if the mounts follow anything from Draenor's 6 base models + palette swaps and minor changes, but we'll have to wait and see.

There have been 0 recolors of it datamined yet so I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's not impossible for there to be more eventually but it doesn't look like it for now. In general it looks like they've taken the complaints of WoD mounts to heart (rightfully so) as there are a lot of unique mounts that have been datamined so far and a lot of them have no recolors. The ones with recolors are the pvp mounts or the really standard mounts like the generic Moose.

Are those prices final? Blizz has putt over-inflated amounts in as placeholders before an item hit live before. Making a mount cost in the millions is just stupid.

What's the most expensive mount in the game at the moment? I know the Alliance bike costs 100k but doesn't one of the yak's cost something like 120k or 140k? Can't think of anything more expensive.

EmiPrime

The new bag is rather pointless at that price. Between the reagent bank tab, the toy/mount tabs, quest items no longer showing up in bags, gear changing based on spec and the new wardrobe feature players are going to have more bag space than they know what to do with. Blizzard have been steadily devaluing bag space for several years and with Legion even hoarders will have nearly empty banks.

Tenebrous

Are those prices final? Blizz has putt over-inflated amounts in as placeholders before an item hit live before. Making a mount cost in the millions is just stupid.

What's the most expensive mount in the game at the moment? I know the Alliance bike costs 100k but doesn't one of the yak's cost something like 120k or 140k? Can't think of anything more expensive.

Why?

Because the previous "gold sink mount" was 140k. making a mount that costs 14(?) times that just seems like too steep a jump. Will gold become 14 times easier to get in Legion? To me it just feels like a way to get people to buy tokens to get it easier. To the vast majority of players it's just a very expensive store mount.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, I'm not sure what's the point of having a mount cost in the millions. Who have that sort of money to waste on a single mount? People with 10+ millions? How many players actually get to that point? Maybe they made that mount super expensive so that's it's almost as rare as a current raid mount.

Tenebrous

The difference between WotLK's premier goldsink mount (16k at exalted) and MoP's premier goldsink mount (120k flat) was 7.5x the price (I picked WotLK because it's two expansions of seperation, just like MoP and Legion). Legion's mount is 16.6x the price of the MoP mount, but the gold inflation is a lot, lot higher.

Who here had 120k spare at the start of MoP to buy a mount, and who here will have 2m spare at the start of Legion to do the same?

I don't think there's much of a difference between 2m now and 120k at the start of Mists... Well, I guess there is, and it's what you said - The WoW token.

v1perz53

Because the previous "gold sink mount" was 140k. making a mount that costs 14(?) times that just seems like too steep a jump. Will gold become 14 times easier to get in Legion? To me it just feels like a way to get people to buy tokens to get it easier. To the vast majority of players it's just a very expensive store mount.

Eh, there is a limit to how many tokens you can buy, it would seem more suspicious to me if it was 500k, which is right around how much you can get in the US in one day from tokens (capped at 10 per week). You'd have to buy max tokens for 4 weeks straight for this mount, and you'd still be a bit short (again, in the US, EU prices are different). And I'm not sure how many people they think would be willing to drop $800 on a single mount. The way I see it, "cheaper" things are much more likely to be token grabbing attempts to me, making people go "ah so close to that, just need to buy one or two tokens!", much more impulse buy territory than 2 million gold for $800 hah.

I more see it as their way of addressing the current problem in WoW, where there is a HUGE disparity of wealth after WoD. MANY people have multiple gold caps and 5+ million gold, but the average player still has 50-100k gold. Adding extreme gold sinks is a way to bring the 5+ million people back to reality more quickly, it is very dangerous for the economy to have people that high when the average gold is so much lower.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's the point of having a mount cost in the millions. Who have that sort of money to waste on a single mount? People with 10+ millions? How many players actually get to that point? Maybe they made that mount super expensive so that's it's almost as rare as a current raid mount.

You'd be surprised. I log in each morning while drinking my coffee and spend ~15 minutes queueing garrison missions and completing yesterday's mission (have 11 max toons), and I run DS heroic around 8 times per week while watching my TV shows for the mounts and I currently have 4 million. Started WoD with ~50k, never really sold anything on the AH. It is shockingly easy to get gold now if you set things up properly over the past months and months. As I said above, I see the mount specifically as trying to bring the multiple million gold people back in line so they can manage things better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, as someone who gold farmed for a while and has several friends that are gold capped multiple times, most gold farmers DON'T buy high ticket prices like that mount unless it's something they can flip or it's something being removed from the game.

Raising the gold cap is a very strange way of 'combating' inflation. ie, it does the opposite.

Lomax

With the gold cap increase, I'd fully expect bmah mounts to hit at least 3-5 million and some even at gold cap again. 2 million for a glamour mount doesn't really seem that excessive if it's supposed to be rare. The toy that is only usable once every 20 minutes and the bag seem a lot worse. That said, I could see all the prices on that vender dropping by a factor of 10 before release.

Also, as someone who gold farmed for a while and has several friends that are gold capped multiple times, most gold farmers DON'T buy high ticket prices like that mount unless it's something they can flip or it's something being removed from the game.

Raising the gold cap is a very strange way of 'combating' inflation. ie, it does the opposite.

Raising the gold cap will definitely combat inflation short term because the bmah will be pulling more gold per item out (and that gold is truly gone). High value vender items do as well, especially things a lot of people will buy like the ring. But long term inflation is inevitable and not a bad thing. Unlike in the real world, it does actually "trickle down" to new players who can farm mats with the increased values, whereas their costs like flying remain static.

I don't think there's much of a difference between 2m now and 120k at the start of Mists... Well, I guess there is, and it's what you said - The WoW token.

While the token itself doesn't bring gold directly into the economy, what it does is bring a lot of people like me back into the game. I was sitting on over 100k in "dead" gold in my account, and the 8 tokens I've bought have put all that gold and much more into the economy. I'd bet the amount of dead gold that came back into the game last summer was staggering.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seeing extended lengthy play of Survival in Legion makes it look.. kind of boring to me, honestly. Maybe it's more fun when you're actually playing it but just from watching it, it looks kind of slapped together.

I've bought pretty much everything I can at the Faire. Should I buy stuff to sell on the AH and if so what or wait until things that might be added in Legion

Lomax

Actually the ring was just changed to 200k in this new patch.

Really? That seems excessive. Especially since if it follows the pattern of the last ring, you'll have to pay to upgrade it at each tier. But then I'd assume Blizzard has good metrics that tell them how much gold most people have at this point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Blizzard probably going to learn the hard way when they realize all the people they put off that came back after WoD and have no gold and feel like they're completely locked out of gold by #TeamGarrison

TheYanger

Yeah, I mean the Haris Pilton bag was expensive, but it wasn't that outlandish compared to other stuff. Presumably the crafted bags will be 32 slots, so it would be the biggest bag in the game, but that's just silly for two more slots. It's not like the toy or the pet or the mount which you can at least show off. The ring is only 50k and that's more in line with what I'd expect the bag to be. Could be an indicator that the prices are only placeholders.

Right now, best I can tell, it's still 4 slots bigger. If they add a 32 they fucked up. If they leave it as 30 I think 500k might be ok. Just depends on inflation.

Lomax

Right now, best I can tell, it's still 4 slots bigger. If they add a 32 they fucked up. If they leave it as 30 I think 500k might be ok. Just depends on inflation.

There's always been a new larger bag from tailoring, it would be pretty controversial if there wasn't this time. Especially if that vender bag goes live at that price. But hell it could be a 40 slot bag and that price would seem excessive. Yeah, gold is easy to get but to spend twice what was the prior gold cap to buy four bags is not at all in line with similar stuff from the past.

Sölf

Blizzard probably going to learn the hard way when they realize all the people they put off that came back after WoD and have no gold and feel like they're completely locked out of gold by #TeamGarrison

I paused most of WoD and even in the time I played I only had 1 max level char. So, yeah, Garrisons didn't do that much for me. I don't even have 100k at the moment (and my sub just ran out and I won't return until the pre patch finally hits).

Oddly no new epic bag for tailoring in Legion as of right now. There's a 24 slot bag there, oddly. It could change, but who knows. There is a recipe that makes mounts more comfortable for two hours, though! (wut?)

If there's no new bag for Tailors to make in Legion that's an improvement over Hexweave Bags, then how are tailors supposed to make money in Legion? Everyone needs bags, there's a steep drop-off on people who need cloth gear and then further still for those who want crafted cloth gear. Hexweave Bags are already at a saturation point where it's almost not worthwhile crafting them to sell them on the auction house. Does crafted gear in Legion still have that limit of 3 that WoD had or has that been removed?

Making mounts more comfortable for a limited period of time and providing raid groups with costumes? Errrrrrr, what?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If there's no new bag for Tailors to make in Legion that's an improvement over Hexweave Bags, then how are tailors supposed to make money in Legion? Everyone needs bags, there's a steep drop-off on people who need cloth gear and then further still for those who want crafted cloth gear. Hexweave Bags are already at a saturation point where it's almost not worthwhile crafting them to sell them on the auction house. Does crafted gear in Legion still have that limit of 3 that WoD had or has that been removed?

Making mounts more comfortable for a limited period of time and providing raid groups with costumes? Errrrrrr, what?

Will people even need bags with over 30 slots anyway? Even with my 22-24 slots bags on my alts, I never fill those.

Lomax

Blizzard has said there will be various consumables (including those you listed) intended to be the profitable items for each profession. But I would be stunned if there's no larger bag in Legion, that's never happened before and it makes no sense to make a 24 slot bag at this point in the game. It seems pretty likely there will be a 32 slot bag which still makes that vender bag the biggest one in the game at 34 slots.

Will people even need bags with over 30 slots anyway? Even with my 22-24 slots bags on my alts, I never fill those.

I have some characters with 22s who never fill them, and others with 30s that seem always full. It just varies. That said, I can't imagine anyone spending 2 million gold on four bags for 8 or even 16 total extra slots, that's incredibly wasteful and you don't generally accumulate that much gold being wasteful.

Tenebrous

I have like 16 slots free total (4x30 slots, 7x30 slots in the bag, including Void Storage). Once the Wardrobe goes live, I'll have 200+ slots free.

So no, I won't need them personally.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, wardrobe is going to cut my bags/bank/void storage space by 2/3, if not more.

That + the reagent tab stacking to 200 (and being accessible from anywhere) is a potent combination for freeing up bag space.

Sölf

That strongly depends on the character, I think. My main, which is also my only max level char, has like no room at all. I have so many things, some nostalgic items, several shirts, items not classified as toys as well as mats for Cooking, Mining, Engineering, Enchanting (for others to enchant me) and herbalism (for others to craft me potions and flasks) that my bank is just allways full. Add to that that I am an engineer and have stuff like the RepBot, Moll-E, Northrend/Pandaria Teleporter, Flasks and Bufffood etc and my bags are also full. It doesn't help that you get so much crap in WoD, like the Scrap Metal, Boxes, Seeds and Ores etc.

So, my main has like no space at all. My bank is completely full (but I don't have the best bags in all slots) and I don't even have 1 complete bag of free space for drops. I have to sell stuff constantly. I am SO HAPPY when the transmog tab finally comes and all those shirts and old gear like Onyxian Cloak or Quel'Delar can finally disappear from my bank.

JSoup

Banned
And then you get guys like me who just have a thing about having as much storage as possible. The first thing I did for the last three expansions is upgrade my personal bags first.

Top Bottom