• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Zelias

Banned
If you don't want to boost you can of course level a character from level 1, but yes you will have to level through each expac - WoW does not really do horizontal progression like GW2 does. That said, the levelling process has been massively sped up over the years and 1-60 (the original vanilla content) was completely overhauled with Cataclysm to more modern questing sensibilities.

Tenebrous

I dont normally like the boosts to x level because you lose out getting a feel of your hero as you level.

Im in eu but i tend to play most mmos through America servers because the gaf guilds seem more active there.

So if i like the game do you have to play through all the expansions content? If u don't is there alot to be missed. I know raid ls end game like alot of mmos etc but i tent to not worry too much bout them if i find the game fun i tend to just wander off exploring maps etc. Which is why i really liked gw2.

The leveling experience can be watered down to just doing a zone or two from each expansion, but there's absolutely no reason at all why you can't just stray from the path and explore. Hell, you can level entirely via exploration with gathering professions & archaeology if you wish.

WoW also has a lot more to explore than GW2 & FF14 (mostly due to its age), so you should be set to go there.

I'd recommend trying out Defias Brotherhood (EU) if you fancy sticking our side of the Atlantic for a change. WoW-GAF doesn't have a guild (yet) on either side of the ocean.

ZenaxPure

I can't wait to get rid of the garrisons and play the new content.

It's kinda crazy how close we are to garrisons being nuked from orbit, probably around a couple of months at most. It's gonna be so fucking weird waking up and not starting my day by going through a bunch of missions/work orders. It's just such a core part of my daily routine now since I've done it more or less every day for well over a year now (6.1 came out in Feb last year).

Oh well, think I am going to hit 3 million gold before it's over so that should be cool.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Since I haven't really touched the new Class Halls missions that are the supposed to be the new "garrison missions", how much different are they compared to WoD missions? I seriously hope they're not going to be a great source of gold once again, or else I'm going to be "forced" doing them again if I want to keep on playing for free.

I know it sound weird to refuse a great source of gold, but garrison missions just aren't a fun way to get gold.

ZenaxPure

Since I haven't really touched the new Class Halls missions that are the supposed to be the new "garrison missions", how much different are they compared to WoD missions? I seriously hope they're not going to be a great source of gold once again, or else I'm going to be "forced" doing them again if I want to keep on playing for free.

I haven't really seen much gold related stuff from the new missions on the beta thus far. But actually I don't think it's going to be a big deal in the long run for one major reason, that being you don't passively generate resources anymore. If you want resources to do missions you have to actually go out into the world and quest for them. Honestly can't see myself doing that on 20+ characters like I do with garrisons. Don't think I could realistically keep up with it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I haven't really seen much gold related stuff from the new missions on the beta thus far. But actually I don't think it's going to be a big deal in the long run for one major reason, that being you don't passively generate resources anymore. If you want resources to do missions you have to actually go out into the world and quest for them. Honestly can't see myself doing that on 20+ characters like I do with garrisons. Don't think I could realistically keep up with it.

And here I thought I was crazy doing this on 9 characters. D:

ampere

Ya'll crazy. I have 4 garrisons going and I can't even bother doing them every day. It's good gold yea, but man it's like playing cookie clicker

I dont normally like the boosts to x level because you lose out getting a feel of your hero as you level.

Im in eu but i tend to play most mmos through America servers because the gaf guilds seem more active there.

So if i like the game do you have to play through all the expansions content? If u don't is there alot to be missed. I know raid ls end game like alot of mmos etc but i tent to not worry too much bout them if i find the game fun i tend to just wander off exploring maps etc. Which is why i really liked gw2.

You could level up to 100 and then solo play, or find a small group, to do old raid content. Take you time, enjoy the scenery and read about the plot on wowpedia if you want to get more backstory.

If you're new to the game, I think as a casual player there's a ton to enjoy even if you play solo. There isn't really a GAF guild, but you can cross-realm group with anyone in your region, so you can still play with others regardless of which realm you pick.

I swear Warleader Tome is never gonna drop his toy. I'm at 180 now and would love to hit the 200 mark before Legion for the title. Though I'm sure the last 20 will be easy to get in the expac with all the treasures and stuff. But at that point there's a mount at 250 I think?

Daniel R

It's kinda crazy how close we are to garrisons being nuked from orbit, probably around a couple of months at most. It's gonna be so fucking weird waking up and not starting my day by going through a bunch of missions/work orders. It's just such a core part of my daily routine now since I've done it more or less every day for well over a year now (6.1 came out in Feb last year).

Oh well, think I am going to hit 3 million gold before it's over so that should be cool.

Congratz, I just dinged 10 million myself. Started Draenor with 300k. Spent 3,5 million+ on boosts, mounts and pets. So all in all, 13 million profit at least.

Also, I'm at about 228 mounts or so. Don't think I'll hit 250 before Legion (would have to finish all the stables and all of Argent Tournament, plus get lucky on a few). I don't even want to think about 300, but the cloud serpent reward for that one isn't nearly as cool as the felfire hawk, or some of the other mounts I have.

And speaking of gold, so long as I don't buy any more big ticket items, I should have about 2mil by Legion launch. Though I may pay part of a CM carry for a friend.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Ya'll crazy. I have 4 garrisons going and I can't even bother doing them every day. It's good gold yea, but man it's like playing cookie clicker

You could level up to 100 and then solo play, or find a small group, to do old raid content. Take you time, enjoy the scenery and read about the plot on wowpedia if you want to get more backstory.

If you're new to the game, I think as a casual player there's a ton to enjoy even if you play solo. There isn't really a GAF guild, but you can cross-realm group with anyone in your region, so you can still play with others regardless of which realm you pick.

Is there a reason for no gaf guild

Entropia

No One Remembers
I wonder if a gaf guild would be active if Blizz announces Vanilla servers at Blizzcon

Probably the usual same stuff - be active for a week or two and then we all scatter.

Is there a reason for no gaf guild

Most of us are already in guilds and have a group of friends that we play with. We've tried guilds before, but within a few weeks everyone goes back to their regular guild or crew and just leave the alts alone.

When new MMOs come out, rolling with GAF is pretty good though because you don't have to worry about findings guild after. But if, for example, the friends I play with were getting into the MMO then I'd play with them.

ZenaxPure

Congratz, I just dinged 10 million myself. Started Draenor with 300k. Spent 3,5 million+ on boosts, mounts and pets. So all in all, 13 million profit at least.

Yeah I'm actually not sure how much I made total over the course of the expansion. I spent so much gold on stuff (extended my account into 2018, bought almost all the TCG mounts and quite a few of the pets, etc. etc.) Certainly not 13 million lol but at least 5-6 at a minimum. I actually gave quite a lot of gold to my friends as well. Most of them came back to the game after the token was introduced so I gave them a few months worth to get them started so they could build up their own garrisons.

Most of us are already in guilds and have a group of friends that we play with. We've tried guilds before, but within a few weeks everyone goes back to their regular guild or crew and just leave the alts alone.

100% this, but, I'd also add that when it comes to any game you have casual people who play in random spurts here and there and then people who are in it for the long haul. People in it for the long haul have no interest in playing with people who are only going to be around for a month or so before taking an extended break. You spend most of the time in a dead guild with no one to talk to. You are better off finding other like-minded people to play with, especially in a game like WoW where 90% of the content is group focused.

cdyhybrid

Gotta love dungeon finder. Get D/Ced (because the servers have been absolute garbage ever since they moved to the new Bnet infrastructure) for literally 30 seconds and I come back booted.

Now I can't queue for another one for 10 minutes. Guess that's content I won't bother doing today, well played Blizzard.

WOW15900319 is a frequent error I get hit with while playing ever since the change-over. B.net server takes a shit, a few seconds later I re-connect and can re-log.

Not going to finish this Loremaster run on this priest before Legion or the pre-patch drops at the rate I'm going. Probably be midway through Cata at the pace I'm clearing content. It's probably more worthwhile to simply be max level and have some farmed gear and be ready for pre-patch at this rate instead of sticking to the loremaster run. I can always finish it later.

I'm pretty burnt out on the 1-60 content and don't want to consider rolling a new toon until I have a full set of maxed-out heirlooms for whatever the class is. I just want to hammer through all of the old content as quickly as possible. I really don't get the burning desire for vanilla or older/worse versions of the Cata-revamped zones I've played through.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The guild finally defeated Archimonde HC. Go, Decimate at Argent Dawn (EU)!

Tenebrous

Rösti;205100613 said:
The guild finally defeated Archimonde HC. Go, Decimate at Argent Dawn (EU)!

That's like the third guild on the server to do so, right? Everyone is too preoccupied ERPing to raid from what I remember.

I kid. AD is great.

Grats!

v1perz53

Honestly, I liked archaeology more when you could vendor the rewards versus now when you crate them. Pristine solves feel unrewarding unless you want all of them, and regular solves feel unrewarding because you just crate them to buy a measly amount of fragments to try for more non-rewarding pristine solves.

At least in cata you could always hope your next solve was the random thing that vendored for 200g (which was actually a decent amount of gold back then)... I still like archaeology though, and somehow I have levelled it to 600 on six different characters to get the Digmaster's Earthblade (love me some Wraps of the Bloodsoaked Brawler)

ZenaxPure

At least in cata you could always hope your next solve was the random thing that vendored for 200g (which was actually a decent amount of gold back then)... I still like archaeology though, and somehow I have levelled it to 600 on six different characters to get the Digmaster's Earthblade (love me some Wraps of the Bloodsoaked Brawler)

They're slightly bringing that back in Legion, there is a solve that is just a gray item that vendors for 5k and while not gold there is a solve that gives artifact power or another one that gives you a key that lets you open a side room in one of the dungeons. Few other neat ones as well.

Not sure if those are one time solves or not (can't imagine the artifact power one is given how artifact power is doled out in Legion) but they seem a lot more interactive than previous arch solves.

Tenebrous

They're slightly bringing that back in Legion, there is a solve that is just a gray item that vendors for 5k and while not gold there is a solve that gives artifact power or another one that gives you a key that lets you open a side room in one of the dungeons. Few other neat ones as well.

Not sure if those are one time solves or not (can't imagine the artifact power one is given how artifact power is doled out in Legion) but they seem a lot more interactive than previous arch solves.

That actually sounds fantastic. This plus the increased XP from archaeology in Legion has me interested in doing archaeology while leveling instead of months/years after.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So I got a brawler's guild thing the other day....and are there any consistent tips for ahooru as melee (ret pally)?

I'm pretty sure I overgear it (heroic HFC), but I swear I'm not getting hit by lights, yet take the 100k or so damage. Meanwhile, angels aren't charging at 50%, and even when I stand at the right spot near him while they're starting to run, they continue past him into me and knock me back into other areas after I move away while they're running.

Am I missing something to make this more do-able? Right now trying to do the angels 1 at a time, if only for the aforementioned knockbacks and such.

Lomax

So I got a brawler's guild thing the other day....and are there any consistent tips for ahooru as melee (ret pally)?

I'm pretty sure I overgear it (heroic HFC), but I swear I'm not getting hit by lights, yet take the 100k or so damage. Meanwhile, angels aren't charging at 50%, and even when I stand at the right spot near him while they're starting to run, they continue past him into me and knock me back into other areas after I move away while they're running.

Am I missing something to make this more do-able? Right now trying to do the angels 1 at a time, if only for the aforementioned knockbacks and such.

I did it as ret in baleful+ring and ended up using lay on hands to stay alive in phase one. If you have your ring (I used one of those brawler's guild str potions too) he's pretty trivial to burst down so long as you survive phase one, so just play it careful and try to take as little damage as possible. Just remember that once they finish the charge cast to immediately move, don't wait for them to get to you. Oh and don't forget to interrupt his heal in phase 2.

Honestly, I liked archaeology more when you could vendor the rewards versus now when you crate them. Pristine solves feel unrewarding unless you want all of them, and regular solves feel unrewarding because you just crate them to buy a measly amount of fragments to try for more non-rewarding pristine solves.

I like the crates because it lets me get tol'vir fragments (still don't have my claw or my mount), but I would like it if it was more of a decision to make, the grays should be just like the older ones, with some value like you said. In fact, I wish they'd let you crate the old ones too, then you could choose either way. I also wish they'd tweak the yellow/green/found distances slightly, getting 4 green lights in a row really shouldn't happen (green is too big, yellow is too small, and finding the item is slightly too small). But I can't see them ever making an adjustment to that, especially since they've openly said they wish archaeology didn't even exist any more.

ZenaxPure

You shouldn't be anywhere near the boss when the angels charge. What you want to do is stand near the edge of the arena and have the boss between you and the angel. The easiest way to do that as melee is to fight an angel near the edge and when it is about to hit 50% you run to the opposite side of the room near the edge of the arena (while keeping its path so that it runs through the boss). The angel will charge through the boss and remove 1 stack of his buff and then vanish before he hits you.

Also no idea what settings you are playing on but it is not possible to see the entire hitbox of the orbs on the ground during phase 1 unless you have particle density set to max, otherwise the graphic is smaller then the hitbox.

All damage in phase 1 is avoidable except the angel's auto attacks.

No dice with MMoC for the key

QQ

Nada here as well.

And I'm ticketing Blizz to see if they can force my HFC cache to spawn on my alt DK. Been over 2 weeks according to Master Plan, but I transferred/faction changed the character, so I think that may have reset the timer. New cache should be Mythic too, and I'm a bit behind on gear, so any like neck, ring, cloak, gloves are all usable.

Fularu

Banned
Nada here as well.

And I'm ticketing Blizz to see if they can force my HFC cache to spawn on my alt DK. Been over 2 weeks according to Master Plan, but I transferred/faction changed the character, so I think that may have reset the timer. New cache should be Mythic too, and I'm a bit behind on gear, so any like neck, ring, cloak, gloves are all usable.

transfering shouldn't reset the timer, but it's not exactly two weeks, it's slightly more because of the mission time

Loxley

So, on the previous page I posted about how I just switched to Moon Guard (US) because I wanted to play on a CST realm that wasn't completely dead. While I enjoy being a server with a lot of folks...

oS1ZlJ7.jpg

...I did not heed the warnings about how fucking weird RP servers can be. This shit ain't no joke, man...the chat...

Tenebrous

So, on the previous page I posted about how I just switched to Moon Guard (US) because I wanted to play on a CST realm that wasn't completely dead. While I enjoy being a server with a lot of folks...

oS1ZlJ7.jpg

...I did not heed the warnings about how fucking weird RP servers can be. This shit ain't no joke, man...the chat...

You need the My Roleplay addon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, on the previous page I posted about how I just switched to Moon Guard (US) because I wanted to play on a CST realm that wasn't completely dead.
You could have made the easy choice to come to Sargeras...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

oS1ZlJ7.jpg

"Loinforsale"

I'm dying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

oS1ZlJ7.jpg

I tried an RP server a few years ago. Looks like they haven't changed at all. Good to know.

ampere

I remember making a toon on Moon Guard with some guildies during Cata and going to Goldshire... man. The whispers you get are something else. "Join our guild! Check out the website!" Website is... nsfw and about their guild meetups

There was one person who wanted to play house and serve tea. Was innocuous, but kinda boring. Overall it was interesting to see what all the fuss was about, but I think Moonguard could use some closer moderations from GMs lol

Loxley

That's just one angle, there was quite a party going on.

MJtHtS7.jpg

I made the mistake of going upstairs since that's where the first aid trainer is.

JPphdho.gif

cdyhybrid

Finally settled on a healer (Resto Druid) - farmed up some Spirit gear in Ashran, ran some Heroics to get started on the legendary ring, and then promptly lost interest in healing, haha. It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't so engrossing that I'd rather keep playing that character over my DK or my Warlock.

Just got the 2nd Binding I needed from MC on my Warlock. Problem is I don't have a Miner or an Alchemist on that server or close to enough gold to buy the Enchanted Elementium. X_X

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's sad. I'd really like to switch to maining my Shadow Priest and raid up to Legion. But I never started on his legendary ring and the only way I can catch up on gear is to join pugs that either have high requirements or guilds that put all tier on reserve which is the only reason anyone does normal in the first place. I've got 4/13M experience from my DK, but it doesn't matter when this character's so far behind on gear and the only real option is to do Ashran for gear which is some backwards ass gear progression design from Blizz.

Pretty much all I can do for the next 3 months is PVP and farm gold.

mileS

*snip*

It's unlike anything else that's for sure. There has been a crowd there for years. It's almost shocking how packed it still is.

It's sad. I'd really like to switch to maining my Shadow Priest and raid up to Legion. But I never started on his legendary ring and the only way I can catch up on gear is to join pugs that either have high requirements or guilds that put all tier on reserve which is the only reason anyone does normal in the first place. I've got 4/13M experience from my DK, but it doesn't matter when this character's so far behind on gear and the only real option is to do Ashran for gear which is some backwards ass gear progression design from Blizz.

Pretty much all I can do for the next 3 months is PVP and farm gold.

I reached the point where I don't care much about gear anymore this expansion. I mean look back to Mists. The Legendary Cape upgraded was 616 ilvl and WoD heroics gave 630 ilvl gear. I'm not in the beta to have any idea but I'm assuming early Legion leveling gear will be around HFC LFR and I rather just wait for that than grind LFR more.

strafer

oS1ZlJ7.jpg

I roleplayed a lot during wotlk. Did some things im not proud of.

Tenebrous

I reached the point where I don't care much about gear anymore this expansion. I mean look back to Mists. The Legendary Cape upgraded was 616 ilvl and WoD heroics gave 630 ilvl gear. I'm not in the beta to have any idea but I'm assuming early Legion leveling gear will be around HFC LFR and I rather just wait for that than grind LFR more.

Scales with your level.

Doing a dungeon at 100 will give you 700 loot.
Doing a dungeon at 101 will give you 710 loot.

Etc, I think. Heroic gear is about 820, with the class order hall set going upto 840.

While the difference in iLvl maybe only 100 over mythic loot, the difference in stats is several times larger. Don't be surprised to see 2k stamina on some items. The 710 loot should be enough to start replacing good raid gear with.

Top Bottom