• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

ampere

I'm honestly surprised that armor proficiencies change wasn't made years ago when they ditched weapon skill-levels, it's always felt like a relic from vanilla.

Yea I'm surprised that they merged Dire Bear Form and Bear Form, but never addressed the armor proficiency stuff

Tenebrous

Shaman is always a good choice, as you have the option of swapping between Ranged/Melee/Healer whenever you fancy it. Druids are good for the same reason, plus they can even tank.

I'd say Shaman.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is there a GAF Guild anyway? Having no friends play this anymore is all that's stopping me from returning

TheYanger

Is there a GAF Guild anyway? Having no friends play this anymore is all that's stopping me from returning

There was talk of making one in a legion thread a while ago? The problem with those is that the people who actually play wow, not just for a month when an xpac hits, all have our own guilds and circles we run in, so most people in THIS thread are spread all over the place. I would have the same concern re: A gaf guild in legion too, if you join it'll be a ghost town a month later I imagine. I dunno, I don't generally like going out of my way to make friends, but I find just joining a group in an mmo is a quick way to do it. I can know nobody in a raid team and join up and make friends within a week or so usually? might be worth a shot just putting yourself out there.

Lashley

There was talk of making one in a legion thread a while ago? The problem with those is that the people who actually play wow, not just for a month when an xpac hits, all have our own guilds and circles we run in, so most people in THIS thread are spread all over the place. I would have the same concern re: A gaf guild in legion too, if you join it'll be a ghost town a month later I imagine. I dunno, I don't generally like going out of my way to make friends, but I find just joining a group in an mmo is a quick way to do it. I can know nobody in a raid team and join up and make friends within a week or so usually? might be worth a shot just putting yourself out there.

Aye, I'll probably just join a random guild on my realm, hopefully they do raids

Jag

I did. If you remember an Undead Rogue named Fading in Ixtlan, that was me.

I wasn't in their honor farming groups, but I'd occasionally play some games with Boxer and Wiggy.

Definitely remember Boxer and Wiggy. The only Rogue I remember well is Kezz since we used to go at it all the time. I was in Eternal Legacy and then Exile.

Finally finished the Brawler's Guild today...well at least the normal ranks. Might go for some of the shirts not sure yet. Only thing left I want to do before Legion is. Proven Healer title and Predator and 1 more Mythic Heirloom that won't drop after 3 weeks of full clears...because reasons!!!!!

Temporarily dropped Frost for Blood to get those precious bonus timewalking badges. Goes about 100% faster if you get the extra 50 for the role bonus. So dumb.

cdyhybrid

Definitely remember Boxer and Wiggy. The only Rogue I remember well is Kezz since we used to go at it all the time. I was in Eternal Legacy and then Exile.

Kezz was a chill dude. What was your character's name? I don't really remember many people outside of the guild, but I might recognize it :p

Jag

Kezz was a chill dude. What was your character's name? I don't really remember many people outside of the guild, but I might recognize it :p

My Nelf Hunter was Gaj at the time because Jag was taken. I changed the name to Jag a bit later. Alliance side you may remember Sergio who was a hunter and maybe Thorbo the pally. Both were assholes :D

cdyhybrid

My Nelf Hunter was Gaj at the time because Jag was taken. I changed the name to Jag a bit later. Alliance side you may remember Sergio who was a hunter and maybe Thorbo the pally. Both were assholes :D
I definitely remember them, but your character's name rings a bell too.

Nere

Anyone else in my shoes? I am so freaking excited for Legion. Everything I have read sounds awesome and my spec (demo lock) looks extremely good but on the other hand current WoW puts me to sleep. My gf still plays it regurarly and I can't stomach even seeing it. I made as much as much gold as I could for WoW tokens and then unsubsribed. August 30th looks so far, hope Legion lives up to the hype.

ZenaxPure

What changes are they doing to classes in Legion? Please say there'll be less bloat

Retooling classes is a core part of Legion, no spec is left untouched in one way or another and some are completely different like say Survival Hunter is now for real the melee spec it pretended to be in vanilla, their artifact weapon is a spear and everything. Combat Rogue was changed into Outlaw Rogue and has a bandit/pirate theme, Demo Warlock is more of a traditional summoner now, Shadow Priest is all old god themed and has a void form where you try to stay in it as long as possible to do more damage, etc. etc. There are a ton of changes.

And yeah there is much less bloat. They've outright removed some abilities but I'd say a big thing is that talents tend to dictate your core rotation a lot more now. Most rows have a passive option that modifies your skills in some way or an active option that gives you a new button to push, and each spec has its own pvp talent tree separate from the pve one with similar options (though the skills you gain from the pvp talent tree can only be used in pvp situations).

Also it's not really about gameplay exactly but new animations are a big part of stuff as well, every melee spec has animations as good as Monk animations now. The thing I've noticed playing a lot on the beta is that it is very easy to tell what ability people are using just based on the attack animation. Makes watching the game more interesting.

Lashley

Retooling classes is a core part of Legion, no spec is left untouched in one way or another and some are completely different like say Survival Hunter is now for real the melee spec it pretended to be in vanilla, their artifact weapon is a spear and everything. Combat Rogue was changed into Outlaw Rogue and has a bandit/pirate theme, Demo Warlock is more of a traditional summoner now, Shadow Priest is all old god themed and has a void form where you try to stay in it as long as possible to do more damage, etc. etc. There are a ton of changes.

And yeah there is much less bloat. They've outright removed some abilities but I'd say a big thing is that talents tend to dictate your core rotation a lot more now. Most rows have a passive option that modifies your skills in some way or an active option that gives you a new button to push, and each spec has its own pvp talent tree separate from the pve one with similar options (though the skills you gain from the pvp talent tree can only be used in pvp situations).

Also it's not really about gameplay exactly but new animations are a big part of stuff as well, every melee spec has animations as good as Monk animations now. The thing I've noticed playing a lot on the beta is that it is very easy to tell what ability people are using just based on the attack animation. Makes watching the game more interesting.
legion is sounding really really good

ZenaxPure

legion is sounding really really good

After playing the beta a bunch I have no doubt it's going to be a ton of fun outside of a few things (like tanking being more or less a train wreck) the true test will be seeing if Blizzard will actually push out some patches this time instead of doing what they did in WoD.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
the true test will be seeing if Blizzard will actually push out some patches this time instead of doing what they did in WoD.

Considering how a lot of Legion design seems to be a direct response to things people didn't like in WoD, I am sure they are least planning on that not being the case.

ZenaxPure

Considering how a lot of Legion design seems to be a direct response to things people didn't like in WoD, I am sure they are least planning on that not being the case.

I'm optimistic about it, Legion seems very well put together so far and at Blizzcon they let slip a some hopes about a 7.1 patch so it sounds like they've been thinking about it for a long while.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
7.1 adds level 110 karahzan as a pair of 5-mans

BELIEVE

ZenaxPure

BELIEVE

Kara as a dungeon was actually the thing they were talking about. I think it's realistically possible since it would be mostly using old assets whilst touching them up a bit. Personally I am totally cool with that as long as they are fun (that being the key thing!!!).

Actually something I've found really interesting on the beta doing artifact quests is that a lot of them take place in areas that feel like they should be dungeons but are not used for much of anything outside of that artifact quest. Made me curious if they want to expand on those areas in the future for raids/dungeons.

Kara as a dungeon was actually the thing they were talking about. I think it's realistically possible since it would be mostly using old assets whilst touching them up a bit. Personally I am totally cool with that as long as they are fun (that being the key thing!!!).

Actually something I've found really interesting on the beta doing artifact quests is that a lot of them take place in areas that feel like they should be dungeons but are not used for much of anything outside of that artifact quest. Made me curious if they want to expand on those areas in the future for raids/dungeons.

I would love to see some cool encounters/raids in the old world, where it makes sense though.

I wonder if we could retread Sunwell this expansion.

v1perz53

BELIEVE

Ugh, all I ask in this world is that if they do this, PLEASE leave original Kara as an option as well. Too much awesome transmog, mounts, and memories contained within places they revamped but removed the old versions of. Naxx, ZG/ZA, older dungeons like Scholomance, while I liked that they reused them, I really wish I could go back to the old versions from time to time.

And it is a huge pain to farm Tier pieces from Kara since bosses only drop 1 token and you have to do chess every time for a chance at the helm, so I definitely don't fancy running it non stop for transmog on my ~8 classes that don't have full T4 in case it would go the way of T3 if they re-used Kara.

ZenaxPure

Ugh, all I ask in this world is that if they do this, PLEASE leave original Kara as an option as well. Too much awesome transmog, mounts, and memories contained within places they revamped but removed the old versions of. Naxx, ZG/ZA, older dungeons like Scholomance, while I liked that they reused them, I really wish I could go back to the old versions from time to time.

Don't think they'd remove Kara, especially not with that decade old instance portal on top of the tower just begging to be used for something.

Also they didn't mention if it would be Kara proper itself. There is still the unused crypt that could be turned into something with some work and in Legion there is a new Sewer-like Treasure vault beneath the raid used in a few artifact quests.

Anoregon

Because they did such a good job with all their previous conversions of old raids and dungeons!

Other than the 5-man ZA mount being a watered down abomination, I don't really have any particular issues with their efforts. People have always been clamoring for an excuse to revisit old favorite locations beyond challenge-free transmog runs of obsolete content.

ZenaxPure

I always found ZA to be shit so it going from a shit raid to a shit dungeon didn't matter much to me. Their other remade dungeons I've enjoyed, ZG is actually one of my favorite dungeons.

Anoregon

As long as they don't remove BC Karazhan from the game like they did with ZA/ZG that's fine.

Like Zenax said, they could actually make it a different part of Karazhan anyway, so it wouldn't even be a "new version" of the old one. Considering it would likely have new bosses, as all of the previous dungeon/raid revamps have brought the story forward, it would make sense to have a new portal for the 110 version and leave the level 70 raid as is.

Which reminds me, is Malchezzar dead dead? Do we technically fight him in the Twisting nether, since the top of Karazhan is all crazy and extra-dimensional?

Is Malchezzar even important? He just seems like a powerful Eredar lord like Jaraxxus (but with less memes) and not at all on the level of Archimonde or Kil'Jaeden

Anoregon

Not really, just wondering if we will see him again since it's big demon invasion time and he's a big demon.

strafer

new login screen

very cool

loginUpdated.jpg

They never really explained what the fuck was going on at the top of Kara so who knows.

Or why he had Gorehowl if you take loot drops being canon. Malchaezzar is likely just another in a long, long series if dropped plotlines or things that would've been important. Like the final Qiraji Prophet boss in Arcatraz that says shit like

It is a small matter to control the mind of the weak... for I bear allegiance to powers untouched by time, unmoved by fate. No force on this world or beyond harbors the strength to bend our knee... not even the mighty Legion!

We span the universe, as countless as the stars!

I am merely one of... infinite multitudes.

Sounds important, but its not.

ZenaxPure

Looks a lot better than the previous one imo, it was way too green and fel-y.

Also all the things that boss says were speculated on for a long time and pretty much confirmed in the Chronicle. There are Old Gods and their minions all over the universe. They are as countless as the stars.

Anoregon

That's actually a pretty bad example, as it is directly references (new) lore about how Old Gods (and other servants of the Void Lords) exist throughout the universe. Also that they are at odds with Sargeras and the Legion.

That's actually a pretty bad example, as it is directly references (new) lore about how Old Gods (and other servants of the Void Lords) exist throughout the universe. Also that they are at odds with Sargeras and the Legion.

Hmm, yeah I guess. I've always just used that as an example until the Chronicle thing came out. Dunno much about the Void Lords stuff.

cdyhybrid

Or why he had Gorehowl if you take loot drops being canon. Malchaezzar is likely just another in a long, long series if dropped plotlines or things that would've been important. Like the final Qiraji Prophet boss in Arcatraz that says shit like

Actually that Arcatraz boss makes perfect sense now that Chronicles came out.

ZenaxPure

Hmm, yeah I guess. I've always just used that as an example until the Chronicle thing came out. Dunno much about the Void Lords stuff.

They've been hinting at that stuff for a long time, there is a whole quest chain in SMV where the Arakkoa are trying to summon some sort of Old God being/minion to Outland.

CassSept

I believe these quotes only fueled theories about Old Gods being a spacefaring race of something, a perfect fit for Lovecraftian horrors. It was only later that the plot was put on hold... until this past year.

They've been hinting at that stuff for a long time, there is a whole quest chain in SMV where the Arakkoa are trying to summon some sort of Old God being/minion to Outland.

That being looked pretty much like whatever it was that Arthas fought in Azjol'nerub in TFT too, right?

Top Bottom