• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

f0rk

I don't mind too much, I've started an Alliance character as well so I just switch. It would be better if I had a character to switch to and go fight them back

cdyhybrid

They intentionally funnel level 100's into Outland by having a garrison follower quest reward Halaa Tokens. It goes beyond just the usual Hellfire Peninsula trolling and affects Zangarmarsh sometimes and Outland's Nagrand almost always. You can't do the world pvp quest for Halaa while leveling.

I don't mind the world pvp, even if it is griefing, but then I play pve and can opt in or stay out of it if I want. Also there's no content and hasn't been for a while, what do you expect people to do? They're bored, so they're fucking with lowbies and lowbie quest hubs to either start a fight, or to annoy other 100's by running away at the first sign of resistance only to re-engage when they're not there/looking.

If only there were a way for bored people to find PVP...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Been a year or so since I played, so forgotten basically everything. I know I had Warlords of Draenor, yet my highest character is 90 (1 lvl 100 from the boost)

No idea wtf I was doing then, since I clearly was not levelling

No, I mean if they could just click a button and get teleported into PVP action. That would be neat.

But they don't want to queue for BG's, they want to fuck with lowbies. You're talking about the kind of pvp'ers who would hunt fresh players in DayZ. If you're on a pvp server, I have no sympathy for you, you chose this. You can't take the best world pvp has to offer--that tense moment where two equally leveled and geared players cross each others path in the midst of doing something banal and you have to weigh whether it's worth starting a fight or not--without taking the worst that world pvp has to offer--shitty people doing shitty things because they can and other people can't stop them. It's unfair, but that's world pvp in a nutshell. If you want to avoid it, roll on a PVE server so you can choose to flag for PVP or not.

I logged in to my lvl 84 priest, who I parked in Honor Hold cos I'm solo'ing TBC 5-man Heroics for mats and junk, and a bunch of Hordies were wrecking it. Since I am on a pve server I don't have to opt in. What I do like about it is players--guildless, from different guilds, from different realms--are talking to one another and cooperating with each other. Funnily enough it exactly mirrors the awfulness of both factions in the Southern Barrens, "let's not attack them, let's attack Thrallmar, that'll show 'em!".

Also world pvp is one of the only contexts in which Horde vs Alliance still works. There's assholes on each side doing terrible things to each other and it isn't some lame, scripted story. It's happening because people are making it happen.

cdyhybrid

But they don't want to queue for BG's, they want to fuck with lowbies. You're talking about the kind of pvp'ers who would hunt fresh players in DayZ. If you're on a pvp server, I have no sympathy for you, you chose this. You can't take the best world pvp has to offer--that tense moment where two equally leveled and geared players cross each others path in the midst of doing something banal and you have to weigh whether it's worth starting a fight or not--without taking the worst that world pvp has to offer--shitty people doing shitty things because they can and other people can't stop them. It's unfair, but that's world pvp in a nutshell. If you want to avoid it, roll on a PVE server so you can choose to flag for PVP or not.

I logged in to my lvl 84 priest, who I parked in Honor Hold cos I'm solo'ing TBC 5-man Heroics for mats and junk, and a bunch of Hordies were wrecking it. Since I am on a pve server I don't have to opt in. What I do like about it is players--guildless, from different guilds, from different realms--are talking to one another and cooperating with each other. Funnily enough it exactly mirrors the awfulness of both factions in the Southern Barrens, "let's not attack them, let's attack Thrallmar, that'll show 'em!".

Also world pvp is one of the only contexts in which Horde vs Alliance still works. There's assholes on each side doing terrible things to each other and it isn't some lame, scripted story. It's happening because people are making it happen.

Nah, I knew exactly what you were talking about, I was being facetious.

The bolded doesn't exist anymore. They either fly past each other and continue doing what they were doing or they wait until the other person pulls a mob and then jump them with 3 friends. It's a fantasy.

World PVP died when they introduced BGs. Let it go.

Daniel R

Did it. 91 to 100 5 hours.

The Elixir + Bonus Objective strat works amazingly well.

I did this at least 20 times and I agree its the best method.
I usually did it together with someone else.

Intro quests - > garrison set up ~ 40 minutes

Shadowmoon Valley ~70% of the quests + easy treasures ~1,5 hours

Gorgrond intro quests to setup Highpass + all except one bonus objectives + easy treasures ~1h15 min

Talador Intro quests to unlock the three named mob quests + 5 bonus objectives + some treasures ~50 minutes

Fly back to Gorgron, pop elixir and hand in all bonus objectives + 3 quests ~20 minutes

All in all ~4.5 hours

ZenaxPure

More than anything the music has really cemented just how much I expect Legion to feel like a love letter to WotLK.

Doesn't really feel like it to be honest. Legion actually feels like a "Best of World of Warcraft." If Blizzard came out and was like "This is the last World of Warcraft expansion!" I'd just be like, yeah I can see it (though of course it's not going to be). They are picking up storylines from every expansion (big part of that is from having individual Class Campaigns), oddly enough from what I've done on beta it feels like they are picking up more from Cataclysm than anything else lol.

Whole thing feels like one last hurrah as we scour the planet gathering people and looking for ways to stop the Legion.

Nah, I knew exactly what you were talking about, I was being facetious.

The bolded doesn't exist anymore. They either fly past each other and continue doing what they were doing or they wait until the other person pulls a mob and then jump them with 3 friends. It's a fantasy.

World PVP died when they introduced BGs. Let it go.

World PVP is never fair, that's why I'm on a PVE server :p If they aren't higher level, then they're better geared, have more friends or were a rogue that ganked you while you were gathering herbs and are now camping your corpse.

One of the things I miss about Dalaran now that I'm Proudmoore is the Bilgewater Honour Society. They're a Horde PVP guild that used to make it a daily event to attack an alliance faction hub to try and kill the leader there or they would try to camp a cities AH. On Dalaran, faction hubs weren't just places to stand around, bullshit and afk while you queued, random, un-scripted bullshit happened that made things a little more exciting. Moreso than they are on Proudmoore.

lol, the solution is an animation toggle.

Instead of having the single default cloak animation they either have a bit of animation on the last of what looks like a 3 bone chain if it's a shield, or none at all if it's a 2H and then it switches to the default when the weapon is off the back. It's low-fi and it works but why did it take until Legion to implement something like that? Maybe the code base truly is some rats warren but they just added an additional animation state based on the weapon equipped.

Tenebrous

Whoa, a fix for weapons clipping through a cloak. Between this and tier set cloaks, maybe "hide cloak" wont be the first option I turn on in Legion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XN8HTctNU

Wahhhh! That's amazing!

lol, the solution is an animation toggle.

Instead of having the single default cloak animation they either have a bit of animation on the last of what looks like a 3 bone chain if it's a shield, or none at all if it's a 2H and then it switches to the default when the weapon is off the back. It's low-fi and it works but why did it take until Legion to implement something like that? Maybe the code base truly is some rats warren but they just added an additional animation state based on the weapon equipped.

True, but I'm still uber happy.

cdyhybrid

wKgPCbF.png

uaLRsSG.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you're on a pvp server, I have no sympathy for you, you chose this.
When I chose a PvP server it was almost twelve years ago and had a completely different context and meaning. Guards have been rendered completely meaningless (assuming Blizzard even had the foresight to place them in neutral hubs), the scope of the game has expanded to a point where high level players are far removed from low level content and often find themselves on completely different continents or universes. As a result there are few if any defensive measures in place to provide pockets of safety for people to play around, and flying only compounds the issue. It is a piece of the game that is so neglected that it only really serves to facilitate negative experiences at this point for either side. I'm not mad it is in the game or something, but if something isn't going to be supported or cared for it just becomes this ugly growth.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Wonder if they can stop my shield & sword going through each other while sheathed, and my shield & shoulders going through each other while weapon is out.

The tier 18 shoulders for my paladin animate and move through my shield.

It's pretty dumb, but i also don't think they'd do anything about it.

ZenaxPure

There is a buff that puts a puff of smoke at your feet and says Wisps are inspecting you and when you are around other people (including NPCs) it seems to jump and multiply. When you are in a heavily populated area it's just a constant arcane missiles-like noise with a similar graphic bouncing around people and putting like hundreds of stacks of the buff on you (said buff only stacks up to 10 so when it hits 10 you get another buff, so this wisp buff is on you like 20 times creating 3 rows of buffs).

It just never stops jumping around and the more people in an area the worse it is. No idea how it started but it's annoying as hell.

When I chose a PvP server it was almost twelve years ago and had a completely different context and meaning. Guards have been rendered completely meaningless (assuming Blizzard even had the foresight to place them in neutral hubs), the scope of the game has expanded to a point where high level players are far removed from low level content and often find themselves on completely different continents or universes. As a result there are few if any defensive measures in place to provide pockets of safety for people to play around, and flying only compounds the issue. It is a piece of the game that is so neglected that it only really serves to facilitate negative experiences at this point for either side. I'm not mad it is in the game or something, but if something isn't going to be supported or cared for it just becomes this ugly growth.

So just make every server a pve server and remove the ability to flag for pvp? I'm sure that would go over swimmingly.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I just complete all the Cataclysm raids on 25-man heroic. Then I just do garrison missions after that with my followers all having the treasure hunter trait. That's about it really for me.

cba with the garrison, isnt it getting nerfed anyways in Legion?

Might farm some old raids

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So just make every server a pve server and remove the ability to flag for pvp? I'm sure that would go over swimmingly.
Failure to account for how unattended gameplay systems are influenced by later additions is one of World of Warcraft's greatest failings. It is why the leveling system has found itself in such a mess. It's why Inscription threatens the talent system in Legion. When these old pieces of the game fall so far away from the more cohesive design philosophy of more recent expansions I feel that they do become splotches on the game that have a net negative impact on the game. There are ways to design around world PvP and create an environment where it can exist and not feel oppressive. Situations like Hellfire Peninsula have no place in the game and potentially deter new players. Expecting everyone to be informed that sort of situation awaits them just based on which server they choose is unrealistic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't really want to go back to the old expansions because I want new content, but I was watching some WOTLK beta videos of Elemental Shaman and man that was the best time ever to be an Elemental Shaman. Not everyone and their mother had a knockback, so you were king asshole with your Thunderstorm and it actually did decent damage, Totem of Wrath, keeping totems up in general as part of your core play as a UTILITY class. Hex. Lava Burst in the game to spice up the single target rotation a little bit.

And shit, I even miss finishing off mobs with a melee attack as Elemental.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Plagued Proto insta-capped at 955k before I could even bid... Roll on the cap increase.

I got that one THE OLD FASHIONED WAY rabble rabble

I still rock "Undying" title on my DK too. I think it sounds cooler than "Immortal" but all my friends with Immortal make fun of me :(

Failure to account for how unattended gameplay systems are influenced by later additions is one of World of Warcraft's greatest failings. It is why the leveling system has found itself in such a mess. It's why Inscription threatens the talent system in Legion. When these old pieces of the game fall so far away from the more cohesive design philosophy of more recent expansions I feel that they do become splotches on the game that have a net negative impact on the game. There are ways to design around world PvP and create an environment where it can exist and not feel oppressive. Situations like Hellfire Peninsula have no place in the game and potentially deter new players. Expecting everyone to be informed that sort of situation awaits them just based on which server they choose is unrealistic.

As someone who started with WoD, so relatively new, and has been dealing with these situations since I started playing, even though I've played strictly on PVE servers; no new player is going to get all the way to Hellfire Peninsula and give up because Honor Hold or Thrallmar is being camped. If that were the case, if a quest hub being camped was a serious enough impediment, this hypothetical new player wouldn't have made it to level 60 in the first place. That "deterrence" is encountered significantly earlier in the Northern Barrens, in Darnassus, in Westfall, and in Eversong Woods whether you're on a pve or pvp server. They wouldn't have made it to 20.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect people to understand that they're going to experience pvp in a pvp realm or, that by it's very nature, world PVP is unfair. Time invested trumps so many things in an MMO, there will always be players that are higher level, that have better gear, better enchants, more guildmates, whatever, causing trouble because they can. Even if you add guards that are always one level above the level cap, that can one-hit any hostile unit to every faction or neutral hub, higher level players will still find ways to grief lowbies. If they can't do it by camping a quest hub, they will find other ways. At some point you have to accept that you are in NullSec and the only way you can protect yourself is by joining a corporation...err, guild.

Lomax

Someone gold capped Onyxian Drake today when it went for like 350k less than a week ago. LEL

I saw the stonecore drake go for gold cap once and I can only assume that person was drunk and thought it was the Aeonaxx mount. But then again I see some minipets and brawler's guild invites go for more than AH prices all the time, so maybe people just don't care.

Top Bottom