• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm on #teamnosquish now because they're effectively meaningless. All it does is mess with your head for a bit as you adjust to the new numbers

Maybe a 13 or so boss dungeon like Blackrock Depths

'10 are optional and everyone skips all of them a week after release'

The dungeons are older and often an even bigger mess than the leveling content though. They are struggling to even find ways to keep casters relevant in low level group content. You go into these low level dungeons and it's rare for it to seem like there are even mechanics. You get stuck in this very repetitive combat loop that you apply to almost every pull. You pop out of the dungeon momentarily, or sometimes not at all, and find yourself thrust right back into repeating that same loop.

Art assets aren't holding people back from leveling through older zones by questing. Travel time between objectives is high for little to no return when weighed against being transported to a dungeon with new quests laid right in front of the player. World of Warcraft's leveling is fundamentally broken from a numbers perspective, which is why we see them finally going in to try and tweak that stuff. They're still far off from setting things on the right course though.

Doesn't matter what the state the dungeons are in when they reward experience more quickly and better items than PVE. If you get in a decent group you can bypass entire PVE zones in relatively short order. Which is why people are spamming the queue in the first pace. They don't want to play through the same old zones doing the same old quests for crap gear and little to no reward.

The WoW dev team can apply Legion's flex leveling to the rest of the game proper, but unless they provide some sort of incentive to see a zone through to completion, beyond what's already present in the game, it isn't going to change some people's desire to bypass stale content they've already played ad-nauseam as quickly as possible. The people who want to experience the older PVE zones are already doing that, the people who use the dungeon queue to get a toon to max level as quickly as possible will just find different ways to accomplish that if flex leveling changes the overall pace of experience gain.

The problem is they didn't maintain older content, their solution was simply to shuttle people through it faster. To start to even "fix" the leveling experience through older content, heirlooms would need to disappear and I don't think that particular genie is going back in the bottle.

Zelias

Banned
"Patch 7.1 will go on the PTR very quickly around the time that Legion is shipping. It will be released pretty quickly after Legion comes out, containing a mega dungeon."

A what now.
My (probably wrong) guess is a dungeon with multiple routes with different bosses, sorta similar to GW2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd love if Dungeons felt like Dungeons again like in vanilla

Though maybe having something called a 'mega dungeon' might be something optional and different from the more streamlined type. That way you can have both as content.

Sölf

I dig Mega Dungeon. Please give me a 15+ boss dungeon that has a weekly lockout, if it really needs one. Heck, it could basically be a whole zone for 5 players.

ampere

I feel like the only way to make a mega dungeon work in dungeon finder would be to split it into parts, but if you zone in with a preformed group you can do the whole thing

Basically how raids are vs raid finder, but for 5 players

Karazhan remake plz

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Doesn't matter what the state the dungeons are in when they reward experience more quickly and better items than PVE. If you get in a decent group you can bypass entire PVE zones in relatively short order. Which is why people are spamming the queue in the first pace. They don't want to play through the same old zones doing the same old quests for crap gear and little to no reward.
People follow the path of least resistance. I do not think it has anything to do with people being bored of the old zones by and large. If you are leveling you have to deliberately slow yourself down to a crawl to even engage with questing through zones. People spam the queue because it can be virtually instant, and you don't even have to consider what level you are. It will immediately bring you to relevant content. Travel time is suddenly a non-factor. Quests are delivered to you up front and are streamlined down the dungeon path you were taking anyways.

Compare that to questing through zones, where it's easy to outlevel the content around you and find yourself unable to follow the storyline, attain the higher rewards offered deeper down long quest chains, and endlessly trekking to relevant content. Surpassed the content in Southern STV? Enjoy finding your way to Dustwallow, Feralas, or WPL.

As a player, it is impossible to justify spending the time to run out to locations that are rendered obsolete soon after your arrival. The alternative is sitting around a city will full access to amenities while the game teleports you to the most efficient EXP gains imaginable. I do not think it is explicitly fatigue that deters people from old zones. They're certainly not exciting, but dungeon fatigue is probably more real at this point. It is literally impossible to see most zones through without hamstringing your own pace. This is the boon of the scaling level system. It actually gives world content a chance to compete with where low level dungeons are at.

Panthers

Sounds like they are planning for a proper expansion. Hopefully they are giving up on this 1 xpac a year thing that no one asked for. I would like an expansion to last for a while if it is good and getting content released at a good pace.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A period where a set of dungeons from an old expansion scale you to their level. So you get to run old dungeons as the level they were intended for. The gear that drops however, is scaled up to your actual level.

That's pretty cool

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The mega dungeon is totally gonna be Karazhan.

I don't know if I'm joking.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I feel like the only way to make a mega dungeon work in dungeon finder would be to split it into parts, but if you zone in with a preformed group you can do the whole thing

Karazhan remake plz

Yes, this is what I want.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just realized that the late summer release date means I will almost certainly be subbed for all three of the best calendar events - Hallow's Eve, Brewfest, and Winter's Veil. The thought gave me the nerd nostalgias. I love that dumb horseman and the silly goblin polka music.

I just realized that the late summer release date means I will almost certainly be subbed for all three of the best calendar events - Hallow's Eve, Brewfest, and Winter's Veil. The thought gave me the nerd nostalgias. I love that dumb horseman and the silly goblin polka music.
Yeah, this works well for me too. I forgot what expansion it was, but one of them came out in the middle of October and it basically meant that the holiday content was screwed up because they didn't know if they should tune it to the old max level or the new max level.

strafer

Karazhan remake plz

Only if old Kara is still available.

idlewild_

"Patch 7.1 will go on the PTR very quickly around the time that Legion is shipping. It will be released pretty quickly after Legion comes out, containing a mega dungeon."

A what now.

Probably Karazhan remake, they hinted at that at last Blizzcon, plus it's long enough and has enough bosses to be thought of as a "mega dungeon". They also said there would be a lot of Khadgar in Legion, so having a large dungeon tied to him would make sense. Maybe we find out how he got Atiesh *cough*
Medivh in disguise
*cough*

That's all I need.

From exp on the beta, there is definitely a fair amount of content there but you can easily get most of the 3 star recipes in a a few days of trying. Hopefully they add more content there, currently most (all?) of the 2/3 star upgrades are just bought from a vendor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Better dungeon/5 man content that leads to a better progression over shit like LFR and PVP gear should have been in the game since Cata, and it's ridiculous it took this long for them to seemingly get there.

Robin64

Plus we still have the mystery of why the heck Gorehowl drops from the final boss of Kara. I was expecting some cheeky little tie-in there with WoD, but nope.

(I realise nothing will come of this lore wise)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they remade Karazhan I hope the last boss is the Echo of Medivh or something similar

The 'here's a random Eredar Prince' always screamed to me that they had something different in mind and couldn't come up with the mechanics to match a Medivh fight and didn't want to waste it so they shoved some guy in there instead.

idlewild_

Maybe I can finally get the World Event meta, have had everything but Winter's Veil completed since 2009.

ZenaxPure

Hot damn that is a lot of info out there. Seemed to be a lot of focus on patch talk which is nice. Seeing is believing and all that but them talking about having better pacing is already a step above whatever the fuck happened in WoD as far as I'm concerned where their response to patches was "we want shorter expansions." Fuck that noise.

Also not related to any of this info dump but they tested the demon invasions yesterday on the beta and I messed around with it and it was fun times. Really fast way to get gear, I was getting 2 pieces of armor per invasion (each invasion only took 15 or so minutes). It's only ilvl 685 but I'm sure that is better then what a lot of people coming back to the game are going to be using. Plus even if you don't want the gear for stats they're using a green fel recolor of the WoD crafted armor so it's still good for people that just want to fill out their transmog collection a bit (aka me).

Lashley

Boost used on my Druid

6UOkbMh.png

Boogdud

The timid responses about melee compositions in raid not really changing in legion has me worried. Sounds like melee is going to be ass-end still, getting rewarded for being within insta-gib range with millions of particles blinding you and models colliding all over everything blocking your view.

Back to the hunter I guess...

Anoregon

Maybe I can finally get the World Event meta, have had everything but Winter's Veil completed since 2009.

I always miss the late winter/early spring ones, like lunar/elder festival and noblegarden.

Lashley

Think I might go Skinning/Leatherworking instead of Skinning/Herb

Since the Herb Garden is decent enough for herbs

ZenaxPure

It is!?

Crap, what profession should I take for gold making? :(

Well we're about to have a new expansion which means new herbs and shit, which you won't get from your garrison.

As for gold making professions it is to early to tell. Won't know until Legion is out for a bit.

cdyhybrid

So 7.0 won't have DHs, Broken Shore, or invasions for a few weeks. Wonder if that means we get 7.0 sooner than expected. No point in releasing all that a week before Legion, after all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So 7.0 won't have DHs, Broken Shore, or invasions for a few weeks. Wonder if that means we get 7.0 sooner than expected. No point in releasing all that a week before Legion, after all.

Kind of surprising given that the class changes would be the things most likely to break the game over a new zone and new class. Maybe they put all their focus on getting that working firstly.

ZenaxPure

Yeah I was curious about that comment as well. Works for me though as I would be fine playing in old content a bit with the class updates. Especially since the transmog system will be there as well. Old raids + class changes/transmog system will keep me busy for at least a couple of weeks alone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm still trying to figure out if it's going to be worth leveling my professions all the way before Legion launches. None of that stuff is gated by skill level, right? The only stuff in WoD that is is like the mount.

Jag

Thanks guys

It is!?

Crap, what profession should I take for gold making? :(

Yeah, that's why I said we're not sure what's going to make money in Legion. WoD is effectively over. Gathering will always make money though, especially in the beginning of the expansion. Sell everything you gather and the cash will roll in.

idlewild_

I'm still trying to figure out if it's going to be worth leveling my professions all the way before Legion launches. None of that stuff is gated by skill level, right? The only stuff in WoD that is is like the mount.

skill level doesn't matter for the legion recipes

Yeah, that's why I said we're not sure what's going to make money in Legion. WoD is effectively over. Gathering will always make money though, especially in the beginning of the expansion. Sell everything you gather and the cash will roll in.

i'm not sure what it is like for herb or mining, i have only tried skinning on beta. you level up to rank 2/3 pretty quickly and after that you start getting a TON of mats for everything you skin. if they keep it at this level then mats are going to drop in price very quickly after launch.

cdyhybrid

You can start at one but I think profession world quests start appearing at 300 or something like that.

ZenaxPure

The invasions have farmable currency you can turn in for rewards, would be kinda pointless if the invasions are only out for a week or two.

You can buy everything worth buying in like a single day of doing invasions unless you have a shit load of alts you want to buy necks/capes/trinkets/rings on.

That said I agree with you. It would not make any sense to have 7.0 come out around July 30th and then not enable invasions until like Aug. 15.

Lomax

If the rumored July 19th is accurate, then August 16th for the event stuff would make the most sense. If the event really does impact the whole world they won't want it running too long. I still think July 19th seems a bit early for 7.0 and July 26th is what I'm guessing.

cdyhybrid

You can buy everything worth buying in like a single day of doing invasions unless you have a shit load of alts you want to buy necks/capes/trinkets/rings on.

That said I agree with you. It would not make any sense to have 7.0 come out around July 30th and then not enable invasions until like Aug. 15.
I gotta farm 5 upgrades for each of my DH's weapons :p

Top Bottom