• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Besides Garrison's, how else can I make gold?

Running Cata raids on heroic, mainly first room of Bastion of Twilight with the treasure finding potion and Firelands

Farming rare battle pets. I'd recommend Ruby Droplet and Ashleaf Spriteling on the Timeless Isle since they are close to each other, Darkmoon Rabbit when the Faire is up (you can kill it as many times as you want per day) and some of the older raids like Ahn'Qiraj have battle pets from bosses but they don't sell as much as the ultra-rare ones like Ruby Droplet. You can also farm Azure/Crimson/Emerald whelplings which sell for quite a bit. Pandaria raid pets like Ji-Kun Hatchling, Blackfuse Bombling, Spawn of Horridon easily go for 30k+. Some like Droplet of Y'shaarj, Viscous Horror and Son of Animus can go for higher. Check your server's AH to see the average price before you decide to jump on a ultra-rare pet to farm because it can take a while. Make sure you realm hop and have the realm hopping add-on called Premade Group Finder, it makes realm hopping way easier.

Flipping on the AH AKA buy low sell high

Questing, you'd be surprised how much money you can rack up doing Loremaster

Felblight

Medallions of the Legion from the 4 Tanaan rares - Vengeance, Doomroller, Terrorfist and Dreadtalon. Prices vary by server, same with Felblight. On my server they hover around 3.5-4k but on other servers they are worth more.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Running Cata raids on heroic, mainly first room of Bastion of Twilight with the treasure finding potion and Firelands

Farming rare battle pets. I'd recommend Ruby Droplet and Ashleaf Spriteling on the Timeless Isle since they are close to each other, Darkmoon Rabbit when the Faire is up (you can kill it as many times as you want per day) and some of the older raids like Ahn'Qiraj have battle pets from bosses but they don't sell as much as the ultra-rare ones like Ruby Droplet. You can also farm Azure/Crimson/Emerald whelplings which sell for quite a bit. Pandaria raid pets like Ji-Kun Hatchling, Blackfuse Bombling, Spawn of Horridon easily go for 30k+. Some like Droplet of Y'shaarj, Viscous Horror and Son of Animus can go for higher. Check your server's AH to see the average price before you decide to jump on a ultra-rare pet to farm because it can take a while. Make sure you realm hop and have the realm hopping add-on called Premade Group Finder, it makes realm hopping way easier.

Flipping on the AH AKA buy low sell high

Questing, you'd be surprised how much money you can rack up doing Loremaster

Felblight

Medallions of the Legion from the 4 Tanaan rares - Vengeance, Doomroller, Terrorfist and Dreadtalon. Prices vary by server, same with Felblight. On my server they hover around 3.5-4k but on other servers they are worth more.

This is great, thanks! Best classes for farming those raids?

This is great, thanks! Best classes for farming those raids?

Anything at this point. Cata raids can be flown through effortlessly by anything level 100. For Mists raids which can be harder - Death Knight, Druid, Paladin, Hunter.

Drop rate is real real low on the pets and you get one shot a week, but thats why they sell for a shitton. It's a gamble.

Here's another one I do but its a long con - buy/farm holiday mounts when they are available and cheap, sell them in six months when their prices are back up. I'm holding onto a few things for the new player surge when Legion hits.

Here's another one I do but its a long con - buy/farm holiday mounts when they are available and cheap, sell them in six months when their prices are back up. I'm holding onto a few things for the new player surge when Legion hits.

I've got a Coalfist Gronnling mount in my bank that I'll sell to some garrison-less newbie later this year.

Might make a whole 2k on it.

Lomax

Probably just got the Blingtron mission for the final time unless my luck changes drastically/the pre-patch comes out much later than anticipated. Thank you for the occasional free 4000 gold, you will be missed

I could see them leaving the Blingtron Vault mission in since it's pretty rare as it is. Plus there won't be any treasure hunters at that point. I've gotten in four time in the last month after only having it once in the six months prior, so that's been a nice gold boost that I'll miss.

Got a ww monk to cap, almost have my shadow priest to cap, I think I'll work on a hunter next. Kinda wish gnome hunters were available but I will just roll a panda hunter instead since there's not going to be any issues with gear clipping/scaling and I can't be a superior troll hunter.

ampere

I could see them leaving the Blingtron Vault mission in since it's pretty rare as it is. Plus there won't be any treasure hunters at that point. I've gotten in four time in the last month after only having it once in the six months prior, so that's been a nice gold boost that I'll miss.

No need to wonder, it doesn't give any gold in Legion.

http://legion.wowhead.com/mission=361/blingtrons-secret-vault

Rewards a follower weapon upgrade token and experience.

Lomax

No need to wonder, it doesn't give any gold in Legion.

http://legion.wowhead.com/mission=361/blingtrons-secret-vault

Rewards a follower weapon upgrade token and experience.

Wow that's laughably brutal. Should just remove it altogether. I certainly hope they reduce the gold cost of building a garrison to coincide with the mission nerf, because otherwise they're basically just making it an insane cost for nothing for anyone interested in making one at all who missed it in the past.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Leaving Blingtron missions would give people a reason to go back to the garrisons and would make them feel obligated to do it.

They aren't leaving those in as is.

Lomax

Leaving Blingtron missions would give people a reason to go back to the garrisons and would make them feel obligated to do it.

They aren't leaving those in as is.

I really don't think one super rare mission (that would only give 1000 gold anyway) would lure most people back to their garrisons. It's not like garrisons need to be completely worthless, people leave old content behind most of the time anyway. The idea that most people feel the need to run a bunch of garrisons is silly now, much less in the future after the next expansion release. Very few of the casual players I know put a substantial amount of effort into optimizing or profiting from their garrisons. I know lots of people who have multiple level 100s but barely touch their garrison at all.

Hey fellas. I'm one of the probably many new players this game is going to get thanks to the movie. Which I knew nothing about but absolutely loved.

Downloading the free trial thing off of battle.net as I type. Looking forward to diving into this game.

Knowing nothing about anything I really want to play as an Orc, and am leaning toward a Death Knight, Warrior, or Hunter.

I don't have any real life friends that play this game, so I'd be looking toward playing with some of you guys, if any of you can play with a low level new player.

Anyway, what server/realm should I be looking toward? I'm from the US. Minnesota specifically. I read the OP and didn't see anything about a quick guide for new players, so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks.

Hey fellas. I'm one of the probably many new players this game is going to get thanks to the movie. Which I knew nothing about but absolutely loved.

Downloading the free trial thing off of battle.net as I type. Looking forward to diving into this game.

Knowing nothing about anything I really want to play as an Orc, and am leaning toward a Death Knight, Warrior, or Hunter.

I don't have any real life friends that play this game, so I'd be looking toward playing with some of you guys, if any of you can play with a low level new player.

Anyway, what server/realm should I be looking toward? I'm from the US. Minnesota specifically. I read the OP and didn't see anything about a quick guide for new players, so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks.

Orcs can be all of those things, but I'm pretty sure you still can't pick Death Knight unless you have a level 55 character, since they start at 55. Hunter would be a good first character, although Hunters can only fulfill a damage role while Warriors can tank.

Realm choices depend mostly on if you want open Player vs Player in the world or not, or if you want to be on a Role-Playing server. Most of us are pretty split up. I think Vol'Jin would be good for Horde, but get a second opinion.

Orcs can be all of those things, but I'm pretty sure you still can't pick Death Knight unless you have a level 55 character, since they start at 55. Hunter would be a good first character, although Hunters can only fulfill a damage role while Warriors can tank.

Realm choices depend mostly on if you want open Player vs Player in the world or not, or if you want to be on a Role-Playing server. Most of us are pretty split up. I think Vol'Jin would be good for Horde, but get a second opinion.

Cant see Vol'Jin for some reason. There is a Zul'jin though?

And thanks for the info on Death Knight. Probably going to go for a Warrior I think.

For Horde, I would pick one of: Illidan, Zul'jin, Mal'Ganis, Area 52, or Thrall. These 5 will generally have the highest Horde populations.

I believe you can make a Death Knight now without restrictions, but it's not a class I would necessarily recommend to a new player since they start at level 55 - you'd miss out on a fair bit of content and the learning of your abilities is more condensed than other classes.

Demon Hunters will have the restriction though of needing a 70 on whatever realm if I read correctly.

Er yeah I meant Zul'Jin. Sorry. Bleeding Hollow might be OK too.

Zul'jin has a fairly high population of people that speak Spanish I think.

For Horde, I would pick one of: Illidan, Zul'jin, Mal'Ganis, Area 52, or Thrall. These 5 will generally have the highest Horde populations.

I believe you can make a Death Knight now without restrictions, but it's not a class I would necessarily recommend to a new player since they start at level 55 - you'd miss out on a fair bit of content and the learning of your abilities is more condensed than other classes.

Demon Hunters will have the restriction though of needing a 70 on whatever realm if I read correctly.

Yeah I ended up going Zul'jin. Hopefully its a good one.

You can't do a Death Knight on the free trial thing anyway. That only goes to level 20.

Ha yeah figured that out. Warrior it is.

R713b4c.jpg

I like it.

Did you have trouble getting it? My guild wants to start doing ToT achieved since we are bored of HFC.

Lomax

Here's the list of CST servers, it's generally best to be on a server that matches your time zone unless your life schedule is radically different.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Central_Time_Zone_servers

You can't do a Death Knight on the free trial thing anyway. That only goes to level 20.

Movie promo is a full account for a month, not just a free trial.

Still wouldn't recommend starting as a DK.

Well yeah, totally agree, if for no other reason than they go straight into Outlands, which is the worst content in the game now.

Eklipsis

Decided to roll a human priest. Got to level 20 fairly quickly....seems ok so far. Went shadow spec just cause I like the dps specs and I'm scared to heal or tank.

Decided to roll a human priest. Got to level 20 fairly quickly....seems ok so far. Went shadow spec just cause I like the dps specs and I'm scared to heal or tank.

Priests can't tank anyway. It probably won't matter to you much because I recommend just wandering about the world questing, but when you queue for a dungeon you get accepted much faster as a healer and MUCH faster as a tank.

For leveling shadow is the best pick I think.

I have a shitty old laptop that was really, really chugging at some points with tons of players everywhere.

But I turned everything down to super low/minimum settings and powered through it.

I've got a few questions though.
  • All of the quests I've done thus far are simply going to place A and killing enemy B. I imagine the quests become more diverse as time goes on. Any rough idea when that happens?
  • I keep seeing everyone running around with little pet companion things. I imagine that is for paying players only?
  • Speaking of paying, are there ever any deals on the sub costs? Or is it always the $14.99 a month?

Here's the list of CST servers, it's generally best to be on a server that matches your time zone unless your life schedule is radically different.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Central_Time_Zone_servers

Movie promo is a full account for a month, not just a free trial.

Well yeah, totally agree, if for no other reason than they go straight into Outlands, which is the worst content in the game now.

Ended up going with the Zul'Jin server. Played for two hours or so I think. Seems okay enough.

I didn't get in with the movie promo. Just went to the website and clicked what was there. Was not aware there was a promo going on for that. Kinda bummed now but oh well.

Still wouldn't recommend starting as a DK.

Not that I could anyway, but I read into it a bit and yeah, you're definitely right. Seems like it could be a bit overwhelming.

I've got a few questions though.
  • All of the quests I've done thus far are simply going to place A and killing enemy B. I imagine the quests become more diverse as time goes on. Any rough idea when that happens?
  • I keep seeing everyone running around with little pet companion things. I imagine that is for paying players only?
  • Speaking of paying, are there ever any deals on the sub costs? Or is it always the $14.99 a month?

1. Quests are never super exciting. There are certain gimmicks for certain zones or expansions, but you'll still encounter gather/kill the most. There are quests that break up the monotony and are fun though.
2. Depends on what you mean. Do you mean really, really small pets that say "Player's Companion" or slightly larger ones that help fight? If the former, I think you can get those as F2P. If the latter, certain classes have permanent pets, mainly Hunters, Warlocks and Death Knights, although certain specs can give you this on other classes
3. Rarely. There is a method to buy game time with gold, but that's far beyond your reach currently.

1. Quests are never super exciting. There are certain gimmicks for certain zones or expansions, but you'll still encounter gather/kill the most. There are quests that break up the monotony and are fun though.

Ah okay. So is the meat of the game in the raids and pvp stuff then? As fun-ish as the quests are thus far, I can't imagine these are the reason this game has/had millions upon millions of subscribers.

2. Depends on what you mean. Do you mean really, really small pets that say "Player's Companion" or slightly larger ones that help fight? If the former, I think you can get those as F2P. If the latter, certain classes have permanent pets, mainly Hunters, Warlocks and Death Knights, although certain specs can give you this on other classes

Both, but that makes sense. I saw a few people with little cats, then one guy with a huge wolf. Makes sense that they are for/from different things.

3. Rarely. There is a method to buy game time with gold, but that's far beyond your reach currently.

Alright yeah that's what I figured.

Thanks for the answers.

Ah okay. So is the meat of the game in the raids and pvp stuff then? As fun-ish as the quests are thus far, I can't imagine these are the reason this game has/had millions upon millions of subscribers.

That depends on who you ask. WoW means a lot of things to a lot of people, so its hard to nail down one aspect. If you look at what Blizzard actually does or focuses on in patches, raiding and the end game does seem to be their main goal and the meat of the game. A slight problem is that Blizz doesn't make much of an effort to have people do older raids. Some will do them for achievements, items to transmogrify, collectible pets or just to experience them but there's not a system where you can gather a group of level 80s to do a level 80 raid easily. There is something called Timewalking where you go back to older dungeons with the numbers tweaked and scaled, but thats only for dungeons and to say that Timewalking is authentic to what it once was or balanced at all wouldn't be true. It's kinda busted.

PvP, be that Battlegrounds, World PvP and ganking or Arenas keeps people coming back as well. Along with just the absurd amount of things to do, collect, achieve or farm for its nearly impossible to just run out of things to do.

I think the real draw of the leveling experience is more the exploration aspect, at least to me. The world is truly a World. You don't necessarily have to be involved with the lore of the world (although being curious would help make it more interesting) to take pleasure in moving from area to area. Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms are a real cornucopia of areas. Since you are new, you likely won't suffer from the issues that older and more jaded players have, or even notice them. You could decide to walk on foot from the top of Kalimdor to the bottom just to do it, like many people did over a decade ago. And make sure you play with sound on because the music in the game 100% enhances the leveling experience.

Lomax

It depends a lot on what type of gamer you are. The meat of the game certainly isn't pvp, and it arguably isn't raids either, as the majority of the people who have ever played WoW haven't raided. But MMOs are sort of one of those things that just sucks you in. I don't know if playing to 20 will ever really give you that feeling or not, but there's plenty of other f2p games out there that are much more expansive in what you can do for free (Guild Wars 2, Star Wars, Neverwinter Nights, Tera, Wildstar, to name a few). If you've never spent any time in MMOs, you may want to give something like that a try as without spending money on WoW you're just not going to get much out of it. You might try to track down one of those movie promo codes, or wait until the base game goes on sale (it often does for $5) which would give you a month unfettered. But if you're already not finding the gameplay compelling at all, it may just be that MMOs aren't for you. Which, in terms of your mental health and game time spent, is probably a good thing.

Lanrutcon

The meat of the game really lies in diversity. It's up to you to identify what floats your boat. The game has a lot of quests, there's PVP in many forms, there are raids, there are several types of collections, there are cheevos, there's actually (believe it or not) a main story floating around and a lot of supporting lore, there's RPing or just plain social PvE/PvP in the form of guilds and then there are professions. Oh, and pet battles if you like Pokemon.

I doubt any one of those things would keep millions of subscribers occupied, but together they make WoW pretty packed with activities to engage in.

Tarazet

Yeah I knew that. I was just saying I am nervous to tank or heal in general so, I always pick the dps specs

Discipline is stupid easy. Just pull some mouseover macros off the internet, buy Glyph of Penance and Glyph of Weakened Soul, and spam PW:S on everything possible. In LFR, what I like to do is spam PW:S and Clarity of Will on the active tank. I never come close to topping the meters - I leave that to the raid healers - but the tank feels like a god and the raid doesn't wipe.

Tenebrous

Did you have trouble getting it? My guild wants to start doing ToT achieved since we are bored of HFC.

We 5 manned it pretty comfortably (we're all 740+), but the achieve "You Said Crossing The Streams Was Bad" was a bit of a pain... The rest? Not so much.

We've done...

Glory of the Pandaren Raider - 2-3 man (needed 2 tanks for last boss in HoF).
Glory of the Thundering Raider - 5 man.
Glory of the Orgrimmar Raider - 5 man.
Glory of the Draenor Raider - 7-8 man.
Glory of the Hellfire Raider - 8 man.

Yeah, we're also pretty damn bored of HFC. Only thing we've left to do at this point is get the Ironhoof on farm for those who don't already have it.

strafer

Man, this would be so cool.
Ship Expansion
The team has talked about doing a ship-oriented expansion internally several times.
You could get a boat, upgrade it, sail around to places.
There would be lots of tech and art challenges.
Delivering an expansion like that while keeping the core gameplay is a significant challenge.

lazygecko

Development

The lack of content in Warlords was in part due to the team thinking that Legion would be ready sooner.
The development team has grown, but the larger team was able to produce more content rather than produce content faster.
There are 235 people on the World of Warcraft development team now, including artists, designers, engineers, and producers.

Pretty sure they've said almost exactly the same things here on numerous occasions for years at this point. Does nothing but reaffirm my belief that it will never get better. There must be something fundamentally wrong in Blizzard's corporate environment that no amount of extra developers will fix.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Pretty sure they've said almost exactly the same things here on numerous occasions for years at this point. Does nothing but reaffirm my belief that it will never get better. There must be something fundamentally wrong in Blizzard's corporate environment that no amount of extra developers will fix.

We're in an abusive relationship at this point.

The people who delude themselves into thinking there won't be year long content droughts or "they're getting better this time" are just in denial.

I'll believe it when I fucking see it. They just paraded out their MoP patch cycle as something they want to do for Legion. Did everyone already forget their MoP patch cycle was amazing for 12 months and then 12 months of SoO? And if they're just gonna stretch out that 12 month patch cycle into 24 months, is that something to be excited about?

I don't buy it. Front loading the expansions gives them the most bang for their buck. People are gonna leave no matter what, getting an extra month or two out of them before they unsub is beneficial to them over keeping the people who are gonna stay no matter what happy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Like I said before, there's no way I'm buying any of that post-dungeon support past the first one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the second 'tier' if they even make it to three, isn't some stripped down Terrace/Highmaul experience.

Lomax

I think a lot of the disconnect is that a two year development cycle clearly works, but the bean counters at ActiBlizz want an expansion every year (hell they've been saying that since BC pretty much). So they make promises all around but it can't change the reality. If they'd just plan for every two years from the beginning, everyone would be happier.

Edit: in my opinion, if they released an expansion every year, you'd see sub numbers drop slightly less (fewer quitters) but never go back up. They expect a sub bump with each expansion, but part of why that happens is because people have long enough away to want to come back.

Tenebrous

What's the name of the addon that tracks what transmogs you'll unlock come 7.0? Does it track quest rewards? Does it work BoA? Tempted to go on mog runs with my alt-Warriors and buy up all the plate I can find from the AH.

I clearly dont know what I am doing. Im Level 7, went exploring, died and am now in Nightsong Woods Ashenvale and whenever i come back to life no matter where I go I get killed by a bunch of creatures way too strong to fight against. Im basically trapped.

I clearly dont know what I am doing. Im Level 7, went exploring, died and am now in Nightsong Woods Ashenvale and whenever i come back to life no matter where I go I get killed by a bunch of creatures way too strong to fight against. Im basically trapped.

You wandered a step too far, sounds like. Use your Hearthstone - should teleport you back to the Orc starting area unless you changed it. Take care of haphazardly wandering into new areas, open your map and look at the recommended level first. You should stay in Durotar until you're level 10-12 and move to the Northern Barrens area.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Enjoy your adventure slowly is my advice. There is no need to rush to the end right now, and the world is filled with tons of fantastic content. Especially for people new to the game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have like 3 dif accounts but all are unsubbed. Do I get the transmog items I have on those characters unlocked by default?

I believe you have to log into a character one time to fill in your transmog collection with what they own.

I'm pretty sure you need to be subbed to actually get the transmog unlocked though, because the items themselves are in the mail.

Top Bottom