• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Jag

Saw this in the latest dev chat.

There are catch up mechanics for alts, other specs, and for everyone as time passes for leveling Artifact weapons.

I have an alt for every class and I was worried I was going to have to upgrade each weapon. I'm guessing once you have a max level weapon, your account gets a boost like the reps on MoP.

i'm not sure what it is like for herb or mining, i have only tried skinning on beta. you level up to rank 2/3 pretty quickly and after that you start getting a TON of mats for everything you skin. if they keep it at this level then mats are going to drop in price very quickly after launch.

I don't think so only because mats became such a joke in WoD. Not having Garrison supply depots is going to radically alter supply. I'm not in the Beta, but even an increase in gathering rates can't possibly make up the shortfall. I'm just going on prior expansions (except WoD) where mat prices were always through the roof at first. Hell, I leveled a gatherer in MoP and Cata first just to cash out.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Saw this in the latest dev chat.

I have an alt for every class and I was worried I was going to have to upgrade each weapon. I'm guessing once you have a max level weapon, your account gets a boost like the reps on MoP.

It's not an invisible thing. There are items you get that increase the rate, so it's probably something you have to work for to get for the alts.

I'm finding it really weird they're making us invest so hard into characters with the talent system locking you into talents and the artifact weapon being such an investment and time sink, but then they're still having catch up mechanics for alts and stuff.

I just wish they'd commit to one style or the other. Either make it alt-friendly or don't, stop dancing around the middle.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just wish they'd commit to one style or the other. Either make it alt-friendly or don't, stop dancing around the middle.

That kind of doesn't make sense, though. There has to be a middle ground. The game needs to have mechanics that invest you in your character as it increases in power, otherwise what's the point? In that regard, artifact power isn't that much difference than anything else you spend time doing to progress at max level. Rep grinding, PvP, raids, etc. The perfect balance of a catch up mechanics would make it so that you can still progress alts at a decent clip without it feeling like the progress you initially made on your main character is cheapened.

It's just the nature of these games being a time commitment. Any time you spend one character is time you aren't spending progressing another. There isn't really anything they can (or should) do to eliminate that fact, but mitigating it somewhat makes sense. That seems to be their goal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like my alts, but I sometimes wish I didn't because I do think the appeal of a RPG is the long term commitment and building and attachment of one character.

ZenaxPure

I gotta farm 5 upgrades for each of my DH's weapons :p

Like crafted upgrades? Worth mentioning I guess when I was doing the invasions on beta I got an item that let me upgrade an invasion weapon to ilvl 725. I did not actually get a weapon though to use the item on (but they are probably pretty common). Not that it matters much I guess since the first thing you do in Legion is get your artifact weapons.

cdyhybrid

Like crafted upgrades? Worth mentioning I guess when I was doing the invasions on beta I got an item that let me upgrade an invasion weapon to ilvl 725. I did not actually get a weapon though to use the item on (but they are probably pretty common). Not that it matters much I guess since the first thing you do in Legion is get your artifact weapons.
No, it's that upgrade item you mentioned, but I was under the impression that they only went 5 ilvls at a time. The weapons drop from boxes at the end of each invasion scenario, I believe, starting at ilvl 700.

The weapons have a Stage 1/6 label on them, so 5 upgrade stages, 25 total ilvls...

ZenaxPure

No, it's that upgrade item you mentioned, but I was under the impression that they only went 5 ilvls at a time. The weapons drop from boxes at the end of each invasion scenario, I believe, starting at ilvl 700.

The weapons have a Stage 1/6 label on them, so 5 upgrade stages, 25 total ilvls...

Oh yeah I guess it does work that way. The wording on the item is really weird (doesn't mention at what value the incremental upgrades are so I just assumed it was insta 725).

Either way seem pretty easy to get from my experience. The weapon upgrade I got was in addition to a piece of armor from the same chest (so during 1 invasion I got 3 items total, 2 armor pieces and the weapon crystal).

But yeah, I still agree with your earlier point haha.

Oo25h4k.png

Alright this is a clear sign to stop farming for Seaborne Spore, I got it.

phierce

Just got out of the movie...thought it was pretty damn good. Way better than I anticipated, for sure.

Question I'm hoping someone can help me out with... Took the wife with me. She doesn't play WoW, but she loved the movie and is now wanting to know more about the world, lore, characters, etc. She likes to read. What books should I buy her? Start with?

ZenaxPure

Question I'm hoping someone can help me out with... Took the wife with me. She doesn't play WoW, but she loved the movie and is now wanting to know more about the world, lore, characters, etc. She likes to read. What books should I buy her? Start with?

Depends on how deep she wants to go I guess. The easy answer is the Chronicle as it is written literally in the format of a history book (even a damn index at the end of the book lol), but, it really doesn't go into the Orc vs. Humans stuff at all. The only connections are near the end of the book where it delves into the history of the human/dwarf nations, ending with the story of Medivh's childhood.

That said imo it is the best jumping in point even if it is only loosely tied to the events of the movie.

Oh also they made a prequel novel to the movie about Durotan. It is set in the movie canon so it is tied directly into that universe instead of the game. Could be a good bet. Oh and there is that comic book that just came out I guess about... Lothar I think? I have not read either of them but I assume they're probably fine.

ampere

Just got out of the movie...thought it was pretty damn good. Way better than I anticipated, for sure.

Definitely Warcraft Chronicle.

It's a fun read and really focuses on the world building and background. I enjoyed it a lot.

idlewild_

I don't think so only because mats became such a joke in WoD. Not having Garrison supply depots is going to radically alter supply. I'm not in the Beta, but even an increase in gathering rates can't possibly make up the shortfall. I'm just going on prior expansions (except WoD) where mat prices were always through the roof at first. Hell, I leveled a gatherer in MoP and Cata first just to cash out.

I merely said they would drop quickly, they are always high right at launch due to all the people who want to max out their professions at the start. This is based on how many resources I am currently getting from skinning and the ease of getting higher ranks in skinning. They are still tuning things, so this can easily change by the time Legion launches. But at the current tuning levels, if you want to make gold from skinning you should get in early.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I am really starting to feel that pre-xpac hunger. I want a reason to play Warcraft again. I want that feeling when it's 4:30 at work and I can't wait to get home and hop on.

Fjordson

Man I am really starting to feel that pre-xpac hunger. I want a reason to play Warcraft again. I want that feeling when it's 4:30 at work and I can't wait to get home and hop on.
Same man. Think I'm about finished with WoD stuff on my Warrior.

I'm having fun leveling my mage, but it's obviously not the same as new content.

Jag

I merely said they would drop quickly, they are always high right at launch due to all the people who want to max out their professions at the start. This is based on how many resources I am currently getting from skinning and the ease of getting higher ranks in skinning. They are still tuning things, so this can easily change by the time Legion launches. But at the current tuning levels, if you want to make gold from skinning you should get in early.

I went on to read the dev chat after we posted and they actually addressed it. I don't care either way, but since we were talking about it, figured I'd post what they said.
Profession materials are meant to be far more scarce in Legion compared to Warlords.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

phierce

Depends on how deep she wants to go I guess. The easy answer is the Chronicle as it is written literally in the format of a history book (even a damn index at the end of the book lol), but, it really doesn't go into the Orc vs. Humans stuff at all. The only connections are near the end of the book where it delves into the history of the human/dwarf nations, ending with the story of Medivh's childhood.

That said imo it is the best jumping in point even if it is only loosely tied to the events of the movie.

Oh also they made a prequel novel to the movie about Durotan. It is set in the movie canon so it is tied directly into that universe instead of the game. Could be a good bet. Oh and there is that comic book that just came out I guess about... Lothar I think? I have not read either of them but I assume they're probably fine.
Definitely Warcraft Chronicle.

It's a fun read and really focuses on the world building and background. I enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks guys. Will pick this up for her.

Ok, except don't start out with the silmarillion of warcraft as the first book.

Do Rise of the Horde or War of the Ancients trilogy.
These, as well.

idlewild_

I went on to read the dev chat after we posted and they actually addressed it. I don't care either way, but since we were talking about it, figured I'd post what they said.

I never said anything about resource acquisition wrt to WoD, but ok. I will just drop it.

Tarazet

Maybe 3 weeks for the MoP one, the dailies are pretty quick. There are 3 fish you can grab each day too, but it takes a while to get those so not sure if it's worth bothering with that. Not sure about the Draenor one, I have not started with that yet.

Once you've got Pagle in your garrison, maybe 8-12 hours worth of fishing out in the world. Doesn't matter where, some people have suggested the bog in Spires of Arak but I didn't experience any better drop rates and the fish are worthless.

idlewild_

welp, waited 3 hours to get into a court of stars dungeon. d/c'd in the middle and got booted by the time i could get back in. hopefully they unlock it for everyone in beta at some point because the queues for it are pretty wild.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Once you've got Pagle in your garrison, maybe 8-12 hours worth of fishing out in the world. Doesn't matter where, some people have suggested the bog in Spires of Arak but I didn't experience any better drop rates and the fish are worthless.
Best place for me just wound up being the moat around HFC, moving between the nodes there. It's not like you're earning a crazy amount of money but the Felblight adds up to a few thousand gold pretty quickly while you're doing it.

Best place for me just wound up being the moat around HFC, moving between the nodes there. It's not like you're earning a crazy amount of money but the Felblight adds up to a few thousand gold pretty quickly while you're doing it.

Yeah, that's where I've been having the most luck. Still a slow process.

Jag

Got my Iron Soldier's Saber tonight bisshes.

FUCK IT BOUGHT A TRANSMOG YAK

(Won like 100k this week from gambling, so what the hell.)

About to buy a Yak myself. I'm over 700k, so I can swing it without huring too much.

Surprised they didn't put in any functional mounts again in Legion.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You only need to unlock flying once.

Get started now, since you're going to need about 11 or so days of dailies for the reputation part of the achievement.

Yeah, I meant a few things to do to unlock the flying

Will start grinding the rep later on

I'd like to get into this game but know nothing about it.

Where do I start? Is it subscription only?
You can play up to level 20 completely free with some restrictions but yes it is mainly a sub-only game.

Blizzard just recently started a Beginner's Guide to the game for people such as yourself.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20142852/new-to-world-of-warcraft-welcome-home-6-10-2016

A lot of good basic information that will give you the rundown about the game.

ZenaxPure

This game is for babbies

It's only a scenario in the sense that it is using the tech, you don't queue for it anything. You just pop open your map, look for an invasion, then fly to that zone and that's that. Also probably worth noting about half the invasions take place in faction specific zones but you can participate in them no matter what. Like as an alliance man when I went to the invasion taking place in Hillsbrad all the Tarren Mill NPCs were friendly.

Lanrutcon

I'd like to get into this game but know nothing about it.

Where do I start? Is it subscription only?

Sub only, but once you earn enough gold in game you can buy game time with that.

Fine time to get into the game. New xpac launches in August.

Game has a shitton of content at this point.

Hixx

Probably just got the Blingtron mission for the final time unless my luck changes drastically/the pre-patch comes out much later than anticipated. Thank you for the occasional free 4000 gold, you will be missed

Top Bottom