• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Fucking 1 percenter privilege at work

#occupyDalaran

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah I probably wouldn't be buying that ring at launch.

EDIT: Also, anyone else planning to take a few days off work to play at launch?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I probably will, I have a bunch of vacation time to blow anyway.

Pollux

Me and a couple buddies are coming back to the game after a long time away and wanted to make our own guild. There are 4 of us so would it be impossible for us to do that or could I make an alt as the 5th?

Tamanon

Banned
Me and a couple buddies are coming back to the game after a long time away and wanted to make our own guild. There are 4 of us so would it be impossible for us to do that or could I make an alt as the 5th?

Alts generally can't sign guild treaties, but you can usually get signatures in the cities, especially if you give some newbie a little gold.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Starting a new job shortly before Legion launches so can't really justify it.

Not like the servers are gonna be up anyways

ampere

I don't think that ring is worth it for a Monk, DK or Mage since you have a 1 minute teleport to Dalaran as a class ability :p

For other classes it might be nice to have a second hearth.

Tenebrous

I don't think that ring is worth it for a Monk, DK or Mage since you have a 1 minute teleport to Dalaran as a class ability :p

For other classes it might be nice to have a second hearth.

Depends if they do what they did with the WotLK ring and allow you to upgrade it each tier. I'll buy it on all my raiding toons-to-be IF the stats are right. The fact it lacks haste makes me think it won't be worthwhile for Warrior, but that is a shitload of mastery...

cdyhybrid

Rogue class hall is pretty awesome. Might have to bump it up my list of alts. Outlaw animations are great and I enjoyed the playstyle, but I took SnD so I didn't have to deal with RtB RNG.

TheYanger

Rogue class hall is pretty awesome. Might have to bump it up my list of alts. Outlaw animations are great and I enjoyed the playstyle, but I took SnD so I didn't have to deal with RtB RNG.

I stand by the rogue hall being the best hall. Everyone was like "The sewers?!?" when they first revealed it, but fuck they nailed the fantasy of being a fucking rogue, and it has BY FAR the most dense amount of easter eggs and throwbacks to old expansions. I stopped and laughed heartily the first time I saw Cro and the fucking Granny sitting there after all these years up to the same shit. Their council is also the most badass in terms of characters.

cdyhybrid

I stand by the rogue hall being the best hall. Everyone was like "The sewers?!?" when they first revealed it, but fuck they nailed the fantasy of being a fucking rogue, and it has BY FAR the most dense amount of easter eggs and throwbacks to old expansions. I stopped and laughed heartily the first time I saw Cro and the fucking Granny sitting there after all these years up to the same shit. Their council is also the most badass in terms of characters.
Yeah, that last bit is what sold me. The whole thing reminds me of the Thieves' Guild in the Elder Scrolls games.

Jag

If you need a 5th and are on NA, I can make a toon on the server and sign for you.

Gummy

Neo Member
As someone who has only played Paladin for the lifespan of the game, I honestly don't know what spec to roll this X-Pac...

Any fellow paladin's, or people who have tested on the beta, who can provide some insight on all the specs, but specifically holy?

I hope Hellfire Citadel just randomly explodes because fel energy or something, a massive chunk of it flies through the air, to Frostfire or Shadowmoon, lands on your garrison and leaves a smoking crater bigger than old Dalaran.

Anoregon

As someone who has only played Paladin for the lifespan of the game, I honestly don't know what spec to roll this X-Pac...

Any fellow paladin's, or people who have tested on the beta, who can provide some insight on all the specs, but specifically holy?

Wow, I can't imagine only playing one class for years, with no alts

It's like, you are only playing 1/10 of the game!

Milennia

Honestly, all 3 specs are good right now on beta.

Even ret is in a semi fine state on single target and low aoe.

The best of them would be holy imo if you had to choose 1 and didnt care about roll.

Shahadan

I hope Hellfire Citadel just randomly explodes because fel energy or something, a massive chunk of it flies through the air, to Frostfire or Shadowmoon, lands on your garrison and leaves a smoking crater bigger than old Dalaran.

And it actually teleported it on the broken isles like guldan

f0rk

But I only made mine last night :(

Pandaria flew by. I got the completion achievement for the first zone, 3/4 of Dread Wastes and did 2 dungeons and got to level 90.

The intro to Warlords and the garrison was pretty cool.

Panthers

Pandaria flew by. I got the completion achievement for the first zone, 3/4 of Dread Wastes and did 2 dungeons and got to level 90.

Warlords is awesome for leveling and the Garrison seemed cool at first. It wasn't until a couple months did people realize how bad it was. For me it was when the selfie patch released.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, Warlords had some good stuff on release and then we got nothing until HFC. BRF was supposed to be release content (or shortly after) IIRC.

The moment to moment PVE experience in Warlords is very enjoyable, the starter zones in particular are really strong. If you're experiencing WoD PVE for the first time in the lead up to Legion, you're probably going to have a great time.

You probably won't even have enough time to play Warlords for its problems to really become obvious.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, that last bit is what sold me. The whole thing reminds me of the Thieves' Guild in the Elder Scrolls games.

Rogues being in the underground/sewer part of a city is fantasy 101, I'm glad Blizz decided to stick to their guns with it because it is the most rogue-like place we could have gotten.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still think the Valkyr Warrior motif stuff is dumb as heck.

Our class hall is based on the jobbers Arthas picked up in Northrend that weren't even good enough for the mainline strategy games.

Yeah, Warlords had some good stuff on release and then we got nothing until HFC. BRF was supposed to be release content (or shortly after) IIRC.

I'm expecting to see a softening in some of the overall sentiment towards WoD once Legion is out because a lot WoD's worse problems will no longer be an issue once it's no longer current content. Garrisons and shipyards are whatever, but the WoD PVE experience is solid and that's what most people will play through. Some for the first time. The lack of things to do pre-6.2 outside of raiding or Ashran PVP won't be an issue anymore.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A simple screen from the paladin order hall (you can enter as a ghost and then resurrect inside) on the PTR:

wow_paladin_orderhall76ukc.png

Not much to do there at the moment. There is a portal to new Dalaran, but it returns an error message if you click on it.

Nista

Interesting guide on how to quickly proceed to endgame in Legion.

I'm not in beta, so any information like this is helpful.

I would tend to argue with their advice to never use disposable troops - some champions have abilities that greatly increase the chance of mission success when accompanied by specific types of troops. I would say to use those units sparingly - mostly for the missions to advance the order hall quests and important rewards, or leveling up the champions than can't be leveled by being assigned to bodyguard.

ZenaxPure

Rösti;207922808 said:
There is a portal to new Dalaran, but it returns an error message if you click on it.

That's cool cause last time I took the portal on beta it teleported me inside a giant siege tank on the alliance side. Someone forgot the priest and paladin portals for alliance are inside the old PVP room in dalaran and put a giant mech-spider on top of the priest portal and a siege tank on top of the paladin one.

Feelsbadman

Think I'm going to level a Dwarf Paladin to cap without heirlooms while I wait for Legion. The new combat animations I've seen, for Ret anyways, look awesome and Dwarf looks like it's the best Alliance race for Pali. The beards are so epic.

cdyhybrid

I would tend to argue with their advice to never use disposable troops - some champions have abilities that greatly increase the chance of mission success when accompanied by specific types of troops. I would say to use those units sparingly - mostly for the missions to advance the order hall quests and important rewards, or leveling up the champions than can't be leveled by being assigned to bodyguard.
I'm using the disposable troops all the time. I'm drowning in Order Hall Resources anyway so it's not a big deal to just train more.

Anoregon

That's cool cause last time I took the portal on beta it teleported me inside a giant siege tank on the alliance side. Someone forgot the priest and paladin portals for alliance are inside the old PVP room in dalaran and put a giant mech-spider on top of the priest portal and a siege tank on top of the paladin one.

Feelsbadman

that's kind of amazing.

TheYanger

I'm using the disposable troops all the time. I'm drowning in Order Hall Resources anyway so it's not a big deal to just train more.

I was doing that, and I agree he's overblowing how difficult it is to get the resources, that said you DO need a lot of resources for the first month or so, but more importantly I'm finding now that I hit 110 on beta that you actually need to be sending your guys out for xp. I hit the garrison campaign point where I'm doing level 108 missions to advance the story and some of the missions are problematic without the followers being at least 105ish (104 they're red/useless, 105 they're orange and just 'bad'. higher is better obviously). Compared to wod garrisons they don't take a lot of xp per level, so simply using my main guys more and my minions less probably would've evened it out.

MonkeyNuts

Neo Member
Anyone care to comment on the performance they are getting in the beta / PTR?

How do max settings in legion compare to max settings WOD?

I know they have increased the view distance and changed things like shadows, wondering how that will impact frames.

I have been considering getting a gtx 1070, mainly for battlefield 1 but being able to max out Legion would also be great.

Please mention your gpu and cpu also :p

cdyhybrid

I was doing that, and I agree he's overblowing how difficult it is to get the resources, that said you DO need a lot of resources for the first month or so, but more importantly I'm finding now that I hit 110 on beta that you actually need to be sending your guys out for xp. I hit the garrison campaign point where I'm doing level 108 missions to advance the story and some of the missions are problematic without the followers being at least 105ish (104 they're red/useless, 105 they're orange and just 'bad'. higher is better obviously). Compared to wod garrisons they don't take a lot of xp per level, so simply using my main guys more and my minions less probably would've evened it out.
Oh yeah, agreed. I send the Champions out as often as possible for exp, but if I can throw a disposable unit or two in there for extra chance at bonus rewards I do.

Another round of disappointment mount farming tonight.

Pendas

Banned
Yeah I probably wouldn't be buying that ring at launch.

EDIT: Also, anyone else planning to take a few days off work to play at launch?

Never, Launch days are always impossible to play. Always plan your days off 1-2 days after Launch.

Almost done with Warlord of Draenor, have 400 Orcs to go and then I can tear down my Coliseum and never step foot in Asharan again. Just need Challenge Modes, Heroic Moose kill and a few Misc. Achievements and I'll be ready for Legion .

/grind.

TheYanger

Never, Launch days are always impossible to play. Always plan your days off 1-2 days after Launch.

Almost done with Warlord of Draenor, have 400 Orcs to go and then I can tear down my Coliseum and never step foot in Asharan again. Just need Challenge Modes, Heroic Moose kill and a few Misc. Achievements and I'll be ready for Legion .

/grind.

I rarely find launch a hassle. Sometimes there are quests that break when too many people are doing them, but unless it's literally the first handful of quests it won't matter this time since you can do any of the 4 main zones in any order, if say highmountain was broken you could just go to stormheim instead for example. Plus it will only be 25% as crowded for the same reason.

Anoregon

I rarely find launch a hassle. Sometimes there are quests that break when too many people are doing them, but unless it's literally the first handful of quests it won't matter this time since you can do any of the 4 main zones in any order, if say highmountain was broken you could just go to stormheim instead for example. Plus it will only be 25% as crowded for the same reason.

It will be 25% as crowded because so many people quit playing the game lulz

Shahadan

I never had problems during launches *shrugs*

The worst has been probably WoD with all the "can't find garrison" stuff for a month and the flags and crows before building one but that's pretty much it. Even then I had a pretty smooth experience and shit was fixed quickly. That said you could tell shit went down cause they gave away free days and they hadn't done that in YEARS

MoP was hilarious because of the Awesome Gnome Copter Armada (laughed so much and lag aside it felt like a true invasion for once).

Cataclysm I had no problems iirc, I even thought the game had bombed at first.

I missed BC (fortunately) and Woltk launches by a few weeks so they don't count.

cdyhybrid

I'm taking the first day off. Gonna jump on at 2am or whenever the content opens, load up on coffee, and sprint to 110. Once I get Artifact Knowledge started, Class Hall campaign rolling, and knock out the first round of World Quests I can move to a regular schedule of nightly character progression without really missing out on anything.

Fjordson

MoP was probably the smoothest launch for me. Was the first expansion I went digital for so it was awesome to instantly start playing the new content when they flipped the switch at midnight or whenever it was.

TheYanger

MoP was probably the smoothest launch for me. Was the first expansion I went digital for so it was awesome to instantly start playing the new content when they flipped the switch at midnight or whenever it was.

Everything since Cata has had that just midnight flip and it's been awesome. MoP had the gyro hilarity on alliance and wod had the broken fucking spyglass on horde, but serverwise the shit worked flawlessly on most servers for the last 3 launches. It's pretty impressive tbh.

Top Bottom