• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

TheYanger

Shit worked flawlessly?

Are we remembering a different WoD launch?

No? As I said, the spyglass quest was fucked, surveyor whatever, but playing the game was fine. Maybe a bit laggy in starter zones. People that did dungeons to skip the first zone and bypass the busted quest had no problem.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shit worked flawlessly?

Seriously.
H2rMRn4.jpg

Fularu

Banned
Everything since Cata has had that just midnight flip and it's been awesome. MoP had the gyro hilarity on alliance and wod had the broken fucking spyglass on horde, but serverwise the shit worked flawlessly on most servers for the last 3 launches. It's pretty impressive tbh.

Only awesome if you're in the game. Because if you aren't, you're fucked with 1k+ queues

Peachpies

No? As I said, the spyglass quest was fucked, surveyor whatever, but playing the game was fine. Maybe a bit laggy in starter zones. People that did dungeons to skip the first zone and bypass the busted quest had no problem.
At the start of WoD the garrison instance servers were almost always broken.

erawsd

Server population makes everyone's experience pretty different on that front

Yeah that makes sense. I didnt have any issue with WoD launch either but Im on a low pop server that had to be merged with two others. I dont think Ive seen a log in queue since tbc.

Shahadan

At the start of WoD the garrison instance servers were almost always broken.

To be fair it was mostly at hours of heavy traffic and you could play the rest of the game still. It's different than the whole game being offline or unplayable because of general lag. (which also happened iirc)

But yeah that was annoying especially since I fucking loved my garrison at the time

ZenaxPure

Shit worked flawlessly?

This is what I was thinking, first couple of days of WoD was a nightmare. I could rarely get into my garrison and my server crashed multiple times. It was a disaster.

They gave everyone free game time because of it which they only do when they know it was a complete mess.

CassSept

Cata and MoP launches were incredibly smooth but WoD was a disaster. In WotLK servers worked fine but Howling Fjord landing, at least on Horde side, had a single quest that required you to gather quest items from three named NPCs that that was a huge bottleneck, but besides these single instances the game was fine... for the first two weeks, the latter part of 3.0 is a different story.

I'd wager they will learn from WoD launch, that was a disaster, the game was barely playable for days.

dimb

Server population makes everyone's experience pretty different on that front
This was a pretty universal problem, along with instances of Garrison instancing bugging out. Blizzard did not majorly overhaul the way servers work just for fun or because it affected a small percentage of people.

This is not to say WoD was unplayable at launch or something, but there were still lots of problems.

Lanrutcon

Played on a low pop server for the WoD launch, and it was a fucking nightmare.

Anyone remembering things differently may want to lay off the caffeine during launch events.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

It wasn't a bit laggy. Server wide lag put everything on a 5 second delay. Garrison instances were unusable and if you got stuck in one and it crashed, you'd be unable to log into it for hours. Nobody on Zul'jin used their garrison for at least the first week of launch for fear of getting their character fucked.

Lomax

No "starter zones" will make things better in general, but worse if you're one of those people who gets out in front of the masses leveling. In past expansions, once you out paced the majority, you had largely empty zones to play in, now presumably people will be distributed everywhere, so there won't be the opportunity to do that (but hopefully none will have a huge glut either). Of course now the leveling experience is much shorter in general, so that isn't going to happen as much anyway.

My favorite memories of the WotLK process was by the time my leveling partner and I hit Zul'drak and later Storm Peaks, there was only about 3-4 people in the entire zone, so it really felt like we were exploring Northrend ourselves on a new frontier. Getting flying and completing the northrend explorer achievement before almost anyone else (complete with an infinite tabards bug I'm sure very few others experienced) really made that initial rush fun and exciting.

TheYanger

Played on a low pop server for the WoD launch, and it was a fucking nightmare.

Anyone remembering things differently may want to lay off the caffeine during launch events.

That's funny, I played on one of the highest pop servers :p people saying it must've been a shit server, sorry but no. Queues are a fact of life if you choose to play some places. I do remember garrison instances crashing, you guys are right, but as long as you avoided your garrison it was fine. Lag wasn't 'serverwide' it was relegated to the most popular areas. If you made it to gorgrond the first night you probably never experienced any lag again.

Pendas

Banned
I rarely find launch a hassle. Sometimes there are quests that break when too many people are doing them, but unless it's literally the first handful of quests it won't matter this time since you can do any of the 4 main zones in any order, if say highmountain was broken you could just go to stormheim instead for example. Plus it will only be 25% as crowded for the same reason.

I play on Stormrage... the highest Alliance Pop Server NA.

It was REALLY bad during Draenor launch. Our server was always down and had constant 1 hour + ques. I couldn't build my Garrison until 3 days after release.

ampere

I played on a medium pop server, Black Dragonflight, and there were so many server crashes it took me like... 22 hours from expac launch to hit 100. Probably almost 10 hours were unplayable. Many many hours spent with "realms down" or a queue to get back in.

And then the first night of Highmaul we couldn't raid because the realms kept crashing. It was pretty terrible lol. Not to mention constant Garrison server crashing

dimb

WoD's character not found bug could hit you anywhere. It wasn't just a Garrison problem, things just got worse when you were near them.

ZenaxPure

I played on a medium pop server, Black Dragonflight, and there were so many server crashes it took me like... 22 hours from expac launch to hit 100. Probably almost 10 hours were unplayable. Many many hours spent with "realms down" or a queue to get back in.

Yeah I play on a medium pop server and we had server queues for the first 2 days. Last time our server had queues was vanilla WoW when we were still a high pop server.

Honestly though I have no problem with sitting in a queue, my problem was the server crashes. It's incredibly annoying to be in the middle of something and then the server shits the bed and you spend like half an hour trying to get back on. It just interrupts the flow of gameplay.

Milennia

I play on Stormrage... the highest Alliance Pop Server NA.

It was REALLY bad during Draenor launch. Our server was always down and had constant 1 hour + ques. I couldn't build my Garrison until 3 days after release.

Stormrage WoD launch was one of the worst experiences i have ever had playing the game.

Was pure hell questing and i had to get a friend on an extremely low pop server to x realm me, thats what most of us did.

If you werent cross realmed you were fucked, in any zone and i was one of the first to hit 100.

Pendas

Banned
Stormrage WoD launch was one of the worst experiences i have ever had playing the game.

Was pure hell questing and i had to get a friend on an extremely low pop server to x realm me, thats what most of us did.

If you werent cross realmed you were fucked, in any zone and i was one of the first to hit 100.

You're one of the lucky ones. All my friends were on Stormrage so I was stuck in that hell hole. It took me an entire week to clear Shadowmoon Valley. It was easily the worst MMO / Expansion Launch I ever participated in... and I played 90% of all MMOs on launch day.

Fularu

Banned
That's funny, I played on one of the highest pop servers :p people saying it must've been a shit server, sorry but no. Queues are a fact of life if you choose to play some places. I do remember garrison instances crashing, you guys are right, but as long as you avoided your garrison it was fine. Lag wasn't 'serverwide' it was relegated to the most popular areas. If you made it to gorgrond the first night you probably never experienced any lag again.

Yo I was also on Mal'Ganis and launch day past 9 AM (when I got my copy) was near unplayable. I remember camping spawns with Cornellius so that we could go further in Frostfire Ridge.

Edit : Hell I remember people tricking the game to never go AFK otherwise you stopped playing for the next 4 hours (but queues were a different issue)

Tenebrous

A question for those who've played the beta more than I have. Are any classes more difficult to play than their Warlords counterparts? I know all the tank spec finesse has been gutted, but what about the other classes/specs/roles?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like it's been forever since WoD came out.

Not sure what class to go with when Legion hits, or even what faction.

Night Elf Warrior
Undead Mage
Blood Elf Death Knight
Human Paladin

Those are my choices. Warrior is a Draenei now but I'd def change his race. I might even end up going Demon Hunter (hello long queues)

Tarazet

A question for those who've played the beta more than I have. Are any classes more difficult to play than their Warlords counterparts? I know all the tank spec finesse has been gutted, but what about the other classes/specs/roles?

Love it or hate it, Disc Priest is far more difficult than live. It's going to throw a lot of people. I was having trouble healing normal dungeons because I couldn't figure out how to keep Atonement up on my group consistently.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I feel like it's been forever since WoD came out.

Not sure what class to go with when Legion hits, or even what faction.

Night Elf Warrior
Undead Mage
Blood Elf Death Knight
Human Paladin

Those are my choices. Warrior is a Draenei now but I'd def change his race. I might even end up going Demon Hunter (hello long queues)

It has been, and it's been a year since the last content patch.

Going human mage for Legion. Will have a hunter as well.

ZenaxPure

Love it or hate it, Disc Priest is far more difficult than live. It's going to throw a lot of people. I was having trouble healing normal dungeons because I couldn't figure out how to keep Atonement up on my group consistently.

I think Disc priest is going to end up as one of the hardest specs to be good at. Neither the healing part or the dps part is that complicated but doing both in conjunction is not something I expect many people to do very well.

Also I'm a proponent of mouse-over macros for healing in general but Disc felt especially impossible without them.

Strimei

Man, how. WoD Archaeology is so pointless and boring.

All archaeology is boring.

I damn near lost my mind getting the Seeker of Knowledge title from Pandaria archeology back when that was current. Took me half a year to get the last pristine alone.

Worth it for that title, though. My favorite~

Tarazet

I think Disc priest is going to end up as one of the hardest specs to be good at. Neither the healing part or the dps part is that complicated but doing both in conjunction is not something I expect many people to do very well.

Also I'm a proponent of mouse-over macros for healing in general but Disc felt especially impossible without them.

I was doing it without any mouseover macros, since it's PTR and I couldn't be arsed. My group had a bunch of Tauren (myself included) and it was Bloodmaul Slag Mines so it was all sorts of huge golems and elementals and shit. Target swapping nonstop for the entire dungeon was pretty exhausting. Popped on a Resto Shaman and it was like easy mode after that.

I'm just not sure what Disc's niche is going to be. It seems like it'll be viable in raids as a kind of battle healer with a heavy focus on the tanks, like how Shadow healing used to be in the old days. In dungeons it seems like their AoE healing is severely lacking. It probably didn't help that the Brewmaster was never clearing stagger, so Shadow Mending kept ticking on him after he was out of combat.

Lomax

Working on this Midsummer Fire Festival stuff and damn is the torch catching part frustrating.

Do it in an empty city (I always preferred Exodar), with your view directly overhead, and use mouse movement only for instant turns, and watch the shadow. Movement speed boosts help a lot too. If you want to practice some, the ball catch mechanic for the pandaria dragons is basically the same.

Do it in an empty city (I always preferred Exodar), with your view directly overhead, and use mouse movement only for instant turns, and watch the shadow. Movement speed boosts help a lot too. If you want to practice some, the ball catch mechanic for the pandaria dragons is basically the same.

It took some practice but I got a little better at it; at least enough to complete the initial quest. Thankfully, the achievement to get the title was much easier to do.

Robin64

Barely into the Paladin questline (I'm 103 and have done two outdoorsy quests for the questline), I am now being asked to collect 5 things from order hall missions. I can get one of those per time from a mission that takes 8 hours and doesn't always appear. It begins...

Prot warriors seem to get a little more boring for every expansion.. Tried the ptr one and there is like 4 buttons?:(

Thank god that shadow priest seems a little interesting with the changes.

Naarmight

Getting the itch to comeback, not played since December 14, my longest ever break, since it went live in Europe. I was always planning on playing the new expansion but is it worth popping back a bit earlier to finish off a few things from WoD?

Also WoD was easily the worst launch, I cannot remember many problems with any of the others. The only other real issue was getting to the Dark Portal when BC launched, on my server it was camped by what seemed to be the entire Alliance population (which was quite large back then) and it was a lag fest, took a few corpse runs to get through, but once through it was fine

Robin64

My main concern with the Legion launch will be when it comes to order halls. Often on beta, especially over the last couple of days, people get "Instance not found" errors. This especially sucks when the hall is a natural part of the world, like the rogue sewers. You end up running in, seeing nothing is in there, then getting teleported back to the entrance with that error.

If they can keep those stable, everything will be fine.

Lanrutcon

My main concern with the Legion launch will be when it comes to order halls. Often on beta, especially over the last couple of days, people get "Instance not found" errors. This especially sucks when the hall is a natural part of the world, like the rogue sewers. You end up running in, seeing nothing is in there, then getting teleported back to the entrance with that error.

I bet that mass "Instance not found" errors are coming before Legion even hits. The pre-launch event on populated servers is going to be brutal for the first few days.

Shahadan

Where the fuck is Wrathion btw? All that shit is because of him and what he has to say about it is litterally the only thing making WoD worth it.

End boss?

Tenebrous

It's sad knowing I can get 300 mounts today...

... If I just enter my CC info and spend big on the store.

Prot warriors seem to get a little more boring for every expansion.. Tried the ptr one and there is like 4 buttons?:(

Thank god that shadow priest seems a little interesting with the changes.

You're not wrong. Legion Prot is just a major step backwards in every way possible.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I am hoping that the fact that the servers wont have to be creating a separate instance for every player (like garrisons) will make order halls a bit less hairy for the first day or two.

Top Bottom