• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Azzurri

Having resubbed and getting ready for Legion, I've been thinking of what class to main. Haven't really been following all the big changes to classes so I have no idea. Mained a feral in WoD, but the rotation was pretty hard and easy to mess up, so has there been any changes in that alley? Been thinking of rogue since I played it on wotlk. What's the stance on rogues now?

I play Rogue and Assassin and Outlaw are the two I'm looking forward to. Assassin has crazy strong ST dmg, while Outlaw has way better AoE, but if you can get your RNG Roll the bones skill to proc the right buffs your pretty much a god for a short period of time.

A lot of people don't like the RNG of Roll the Bones because it's well random all the time, but if you're a gambling person you'll enjoy it, I know I will. And you're a FUCKING Pirate! :D

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I play Rogue and Assassin and Outlaw are the two I'm looking forward to. Assassin has crazy strong ST dmg, while Outlaw has way better AoE, but if you can get your RNG Roll the bones skill to proc the right buffs your pretty much a god for a short period of time.

A lot of people don't like the RNG of Roll the Bones because it's well random all the time, but if you're a gambling person you'll enjoy it, I know I will. And you're a FUCKING Pirate! :D

The only problem with RtB is that it has a total dud option in the health regen. You should never be able to get something that isn't some sort of damage boost.

Azzurri

The only problem with RtB is that it has a total dud option in the health regen. You should never be able to get something that isn't some sort of damage boost.

Not in PvP it isn't, but yea I can see it be crap in a lot of PvE situations.

There's been some pretty good suggestions on the Official forums on how to fix RtB so you're not stuck with a bad roll.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How is Shaman in the Legion beta? I'm considering rolling from a level 1 - max for fun but want to be sure it's worth it at the end.

Pretty sure enhancement has been generally well received. Good damage and mechanics, few major complaints/issues from what I can tell.

Not too sure about ele. It actually hasn't changed all that much from live, considering the new resource and mastery going back to the old overload. A quick glance at recent posts in the legion ele thread on mmochamp shows people having serious reservations, though.

Yawnny

Seeing a lot of people's screenshots with ultra-low-janky-graphics makes me feel really privileged running WoW in 4K on Ultra..and also makes these patch notes the ones I'm most excited for:

Graphics Engine

• Maximum draw distance has been extended greatly for all world content.
  • 5 additional levels of graphics presets have been added with 3 above the previous ‘Ultra’ setting.
  • More advanced rendering techniques for fog have been added.
  • Modern techniques for rendering color and other post-effects have been added.

Zelias

Banned
PTR seems to run far worse for me than Live does, even at equivalent graphics settings (7 on PTR vs Ultra). Is this a common thing? Want to believe it's simply an issue of optimization but this close to release has me worried that Legion is just going to dick over my FPS.

frequency

I get 100 fps (capped) on live but only 40-60 for Legion.

I wish they would stop increasing the requirements on this thing. Not many people care about how it looks and having to upgrade just for WoW, a game over a decade old, isn't the greatest feeling.

Tenebrous

I wish they would stop increasing the requirements on this thing. Not many people care about how it looks and having to upgrade just for WoW, a game over a decade old, isn't the greatest feeling.

So let's just keep it compatible with Windows 98 with 128MB of RAM & 32MB of VRAM?

Bollocks to that. Visuals have to improve.

ZenaxPure

Yeah this is the only thing I dislike about RtB. Rolling and getting just health regen just feels terrible. Doesn't seem to happen that much when it does it really gets in the way of things.

Anoregon

This thread has fucking rosti, no one can complain about the graphics getting too good for their computer to handle.

frequency

Other MMORPGs don't do spec upgrades and it's fine. I personally don't see a need for it. I know that's not a popular opinion on an enthusiast forum where graphics mean a lot more to many people though.

Fjordson

Damn, really?

Been thinking of upgrading my comp this year, will definitely do that around Legion's launch I think.

Tarazet

Yeah this is the only thing I dislike about RtB. Rolling and getting just health regen just feels terrible. Doesn't seem to happen that much when it does it really gets in the way of things.

You roll the bones and you take your chances. Sometimes it'll be snake eyes. I think when raiding, most Outlaws will take SnD for the reliable damage boost.. 100% IAS is pretty amazing. They might take RtB only for top log attempts.

frequency

Damn, really?

Been thinking of upgrading my comp this year, will definitely do that around Legion's launch I think.

Yeah. Keep in mind player density too though. My server on live is pretty dead right now. But both PTR and Beta are pretty active and have more people than normal.

So while there's definitely a drop in performance (I would guess the thing that affects it most is the increased view distance), it's probably not as big as I am experiencing.

I'll log in later and go to a less populated area and see what I get performance-wise.

ampere

So while there's definitely a drop in performance (I would guess the thing that affects it most is the increased view distance), it's probably not as big as I am experiencing.

I don't think that's a fair complaint. That's a setting you can disable.

You *should* be able to pick settings that give almost identical performance to live. If you want the game to look as good as possible, yea they've made tweaks that cost more processing power, but they are mostly (if not entirely) optional.

TheYanger

Other MMORPGs don't do spec upgrades and it's fine. I personally don't see a need for it. I know that's not a popular opinion on an enthusiast forum where graphics mean everything to the majority of people though.

Unless they're console or asian mmos, yes they do. Console MMOs don't because they're hamstrung by the hardware they're available on. It's not like wow upgrades itself to pushing computers to the fucking limit, they basically cut the low end off every now and then. Maybe you'll have to lower your shadows or something to maintain framerate on a midrange PC - OH NO.

The average pc gamer upgrades at a pretty consistent rate over time, there's no reason the game now should look like it did in 2004 or even 2008.

frequency

I don't think that's a fair complaint. That's a setting you can disable.

You *should* be able to pick settings that give almost identical performance to live. If you want the game to look as good as possible, yea they've made tweaks that cost more processing power, but they are mostly (if not entirely) optional.

I'm not complaining about that. I'm just giving my results of having the same-ish settings I do on live and the performance drop I get from it. Because someone asked.

I know if I lower my settings I can get the same performance. But that wasn't the question.

Then I made an aside comment (obviously a mistake) that I personally don't really care for the increase in graphical fidelity and I believe most people don't. I may be wrong but I believe most people don't because I only ever hear people talking about it for the first couple weeks then no one cares anymore. And besides enthusiast forums like here, I haven't seen a single person praise WoW for it's graphics. All anecdotal of course, so obviously not to be taken as fact.

Robin64

I do get a performance drop on beta with similar settings, but that's mostly in Dalaran. WotLK players will remember what Dalaran used to do to machines, and it doesn't seem any different now.

ampere

Jeez. Sorry.

I'll keep my graphics vs performance opinions to myself from now on.

Not intended to be a personal attack, I don't want to discourage discussion. Your point about "do most players care?" is a perfectly valid conversation piece, though I do disagree with your assumption.

The game didn't look bad in Vanilla, but stuff like support for higher resolutions, better lighting, new character and NPC models, better view distance, etc all add up over the years and I think a lot more people care than you'd think. I don't have any good data on player opinions though, so I'm not positive that I'm right.

I personally love the new character models and animation rigs most of all and I'm so glad they took the time to do them.

I do get a performance drop on beta with similar settings, but that's mostly in Dalaran. WotLK players will remember what Dalaran used to do to machines, and it doesn't seem any different now.

This too. I could raid ICC just fine and I'd get about a 1/3rd of my fps in Dalaran. We haven't had a major multi-faction city in a few years.

Robin64

A lot of these bullet points in the first section sound like making gathering less appealing to me. Or at the very least, making people who go double-crafter not cry so much they don't have a gatherer.

Ooh:

Archaeology was tweaked to give you feedback when you are standing on top of the item. No more surveying with green many times, just run around near your current location.
There are less random projects per race in Legion. If you just want to do all of the solves, it will be much faster than it has been in the past.
There will be an archaeology quest line that rewards the new rare solves rather than endless grinding.

TheYanger

I'm not complaining about that. I'm just giving my results of having the same-ish settings I do on live and the performance drop I get from it. Because someone asked.

I know if I lower my settings I can get the same performance. But that wasn't the question.

Then I made an aside comment (obviously a mistake) that I personally don't really care for the increase in graphical fidelity and I believe most people don't. I may be wrong but I believe most people don't because I only ever hear people talking about it for the first couple weeks then no one cares anymore. And besides enthusiast forums like here, I haven't seen a single person praise WoW for it's graphics. All anecdotal of course, so obviously not to be taken as fact.

You don't see lots of praise for wow's graphics because they don't push it to be top of the line and never will, but you'd sure as shit be bitching if it still lookedl ike it used to. They've had tons of enhancements over the years even that the average user doesn't think about.

That's the point, no they're not making it into crysis every expansion, they're keeping it at about the level it was when it came out though. I wouldn't be surprised if almost none of the engine is intact from vanilla in modern clients. Shit is night and day different even though it was gradual.

frequency

I still play FFXI and that hadn't had a spec increase since release. It's older than WoW. It only just increased a month or two ago when PS2 support was ended. And it wasn't for graphical improvements.

I have never complained about how it looked.

But you gals/guys have made it obvious to me that I'm in the minority. At least here on NeoGAF. So there's probably nothing more for me to say about it.

Sorry, I might be freaking out a bit. I'm not used to having so many people quote me and comment on my posts.

A lot of these bullet points in the first section sound like making gathering less appealing to me. Or at the very least, making people who go double-crafter not cry so much they don't have a gatherer.

Ooh:

Double crafters that don't have enough Blood of Sargeras are a concern, so the team is adding more sources.
Crafters might get world quests that reward some more Blood.
Some gatherer world quests had Blood of Sargeras removed to help even out the balance between crafters and gatherers.
The team doesn't think that you should have to have a gatherer.

There should be a cost/penalty for being a double crafter beyond the obvious gold cost. There should be incentives for people to have the natural gathering profession associated with their crafting profession.

Anoregon

It's nice that Legion is adding a relatively cheap crafted bag for the first time in a few expansions. It's only 24 slots, but that's still better than the old standby 16 slot netherweave.

I finally bit the bullet and server switched from Alliance Dethecus to Alliance Sargaeras. Already made 35k off auctions since they actually sell here.

Also looking for a guild on the server, 721 ilvl warlock with 762 ring

ampere

Ooh:
Archaeology was tweaked to give you feedback when you are standing on top of the item. No more surveying with green many times, just run around near your current location.
There are less random projects per race in Legion. If you just want to do all of the solves, it will be much faster than it has been in the past.
There will be an archaeology quest line that rewards the new rare solves rather than endless grinding.

That sounds better, but I'll believe it when I see it. I have no idea why I bothered completing MoP and WoD archaeology... oh yea I was bored to the extreme.

Sorry, I might be freaking out a bit. I'm not used to having so many people quote me and comment on my posts.

Welcome to a slow-moving community thread :p. We get bored so if someone posts something it's probably going to get replies!

TheYanger

I still play FFXI and that hadn't had a spec increase since release. It's older than WoW. It only just increased a month or two ago when PS2 support was ended. And it wasn't for graphical improvements.

I have never complained about how it looked.

But you gals/guys have made it obvious to me that I'm in the minority. At least here on NeoGAF. So there's probably nothing more for me to say about it.

Right but FF11 is held back by the ps2, by the time they cut that out of the picture they weren't working on the game regardless really. Counterpoint: EQ1 pre-dated FF11, FF11 was even highly based on it, and they upgraded shit every expansion.

Robin64

Worth noting that Square don't intend to repeat that with FFXIV and have already said it's likely they will drop PS3 support when 4.0 launches.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
PTR seems to run far worse for me than Live does, even at equivalent graphics settings (7 on PTR vs Ultra). Is this a common thing? Want to believe it's simply an issue of optimization but this close to release has me worried that Legion is just going to dick over my FPS.
Legion changes a lot of variables. Most changes seem related to shaders, lighting and draw distance. I'm experiencing much worse performance on the PTR than on retail servers, especially in crowded scenes.

Guys if I boost a character to 100, how will my garrison look like? I ask as I would like to get on that gold collecting wagon before they shut it down with Legion. So will I have followers and such needed for missions?

Tacitus_

There should be a cost/penalty for being a double crafter beyond the obvious gold cost. There should be incentives for people to have the natural gathering profession associated with their crafting profession.

Sure, but maybe not with the BoP crafting material that every profession uses.

It's nice that Legion is adding a relatively cheap crafted bag for the first time in a few expansions. It's only 24 slots, but that's still better than the old standby 16 slot netherweave.

Emberweave bags aren't too costly. 400g on my server.

Guys if I boost a character to 100, how will my garrison look like? I ask as I would like to get on that gold collecting wagon before they shut it down with Legion. So will I have followers and such needed for missions?

Level 3 garrison, "class appropriate" crafting buildings and a lumber yard. As for followers, it was somewhere between 5-10 random green followers at cap.

ZenaxPure

I imagine there is a natural penalty just in the fact that you will have double the use of blood compared to someone with only 1 crafting profession.

The little shovel that pops up above your head is great. Just a nice little QoL thing that makes the process faster.

On the flip side though, worst thing ever happened to me on beta, I picked up arch and all of my broken isle dig sites were in Suramar. It's like whelp, guess I can't do that until max level.

Anoregon

You mean you have actually done archaeology before max level?

Tenebrous

Farmed 4k Timewarped Badges since Wednesday, leaving just 2.7k more to get so I can buy both the TBC & Wrath mounts before the Timewalking hiatus in Legion. Also pretty much guarantees 300 before the expansion lands.

Happy days.

ZenaxPure

I'm interested in the flavor texts when they put effort in them.

Yeah this is the thing I liked about archaeology a lot. Doing it is boring but I love reading the descriptions for the items, you actually learn interesting tidbits about each race's history from it.

Khezu

How are all the caster classes coming along in Legion?

Mage seems the sameish.
I don't like the changes to Lock at all.

Ele, Balance, Shadow?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How are all the caster classes coming along in Legion?

Mage seems the sameish.
I don't like the changes to Lock at all.

Ele, Balance, Shadow?

Ele and Balance are a million times better in my humble opinion.
Shadow I find better, but some people liked the orbs system.

Meh3D

I started playing again. They allow me to play a class to level 20 for free. In playing a warrior, and I'm level 10. Arms vs Fury for leveling?

Top Bottom