• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

What I'd really like to have seen Blizzard do is take actions that show some kind of intelligent analysis of WoW's current playerbase.

LFR was created for the masses to be able to see "end game". Communication is deemed too difficult a problem to solve in large scale queued content, thus LFR is diluted to a state of worthlessness.

Why not then focus more on small group content? I'd have a much easier time stringing together 4 friends or family to do Mythic level dungeons. The problem is that dungeons always have and continue to be mere stepping stones to burn through at release in order to be LFR viable and are quickly ignored or forgotten once the first catch up mechanic is available. Blizzard could support this small group content in the same patched and tiered way it supports raids, but with the smaller scale it could do so more often with a greater impact on it's overall player retention month to month.

Maybe 5 players is simply too few to build difficult enough encounters for, but I just can't buy raids as the big ticket features they once were. Coming from someone with years of life spent raiding, without major major remodeling raiding feels like a relic of MMO eras past.

Is this supposed to be the last expansion or something? The plot/setting seems ridiculously overboard. Emerald Dream + Legion Invasion + Azshara + Gul'Dan/Illidan, like what's left after that? Seems like each of those could have had their own dedicated expansion (minus the last combo) and they're all getting thrown together on the tail end of a stupid time travel resurrection plotline.

My general reaction is tepid. New classes are always interesting, and they're making some big changes to PVP. The plot setup is lackluster at best though, and I'm extremely worried of the Class Halls being Garrisons 2.0, but I'm not writing it off or anything. Really need to know more specifics about everything, and hope to see some display or acknowledgement of Warlord's missteps and how they're planning to address them. Like, if the design philosophy is to build off Warlords, then it's not for me. This was probably in development too soon to be able to respond to Warlords in any significant way though, I imagine most of the stuff has been baked in for a while.

ED: Oh and the title is awful.

JSoup

Banned
I must say I am LOVING the artifact system. Character progression that feels meaningful and with gameplay changing specs on it.

I like this too, but...
You watch, we'll get like two variation per weapon and half the weapons will look the same among other cut content for various WoD tested excuses.

traveler

Not Wario
Is this supposed to be the last expansion or something? The plot/setting seems ridiculously overboard. Emerald Dream + Legion Invasion + Azshara + Gul'Dan/Illidan, like what's left after that? Seems like each of those could have had their own dedicated expansion (minus the last combo) and they're all getting thrown together on the tail end of a stupid time travel resurrection plotline.

My general reaction is tepid. New classes are always interesting, and they're making some big changes to PVP. The plot setup is lackluster at best though, and I'm extremely worried of the Class Halls being Garrisons 2.0, but I'm not writing it off or anything. Really need to know more specifics about everything, and hope to see some display or acknowledgement of Warlord's missteps and how they're planning to address them. Like, if the design philosophy is to build off Warlords, then it's not for me. This was probably in development too soon to be able to respond to Warlords in any significant way though, I imagine most of the stuff has been baked in for a while.

ED: Oh and the title is awful.

Guldan, Illidan, and the Emerald Nightmare are all plot threads that were resolved. They're being dredged up now through time travel and retcons for fanservice/padding. Azshara is probably nothing more than a background force similar to what she's been in prior expansions. This is a Legion invasion, but since we're not actually confronting them to end them and its just another defense of Azeroth, the plot thread isn't advancing to its end, just treading water.

N'zoth, the Titans, confronting the Legion/Kil'Jaeden on Argus, Azshara, Sargeras- (in all likelihood- would be incredibly weird for us to face him before the others) they'll all still be out there. This expansion is going all over the place story wise, but it's all plot points we've already hit.

ZenaxPure

The story line got resolved in a book which I cannot remember the name of. I'm sure someone here remembers.

Except it didn't. I posted this literally yesterday because someone said the same thing. That is very clearly leaving things open for the future (which is this xpac).

phierce

Do you guys really think this expassion was not set in stone prior to WoD releasing? This story arch has been planned for a long time.

AND I'm sure the next is already planned.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The story line got resolved in a book which I cannot remember the name of. I'm sure someone here remembers.

It was 'Stormrage' and it resolved it about as much as "And later, we'll finish this story in an expansion, because it's not totally over yet. The End."

McNei1y

Emerald Nightmare was never resolved. The story was as open ended as every WoW expansion has been (aka Illidan "not being dead"). I loved the idea of a full, pangea azeroth emerald dream expansion/continent but I guess we'll never get that.

As I thought about it today... I'm obviously going to get this game. There's no way I wouldn't. I just wish I had the same drive for raids that I did earlier. I just don't care enough to play after hitting max level.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
I'm pretty happy about this by dealing with a lot of left over lore and doing the Legion expac now it should open them up to new lore and a new enemy hopefully in the coming expansions. I wonder if they have two wow teams running simultaneously doing on expac then another so they release quicker.

Brohan

So i have been experiencing some connection problems while playing wow lately and figured maybe some port forwarding would help.

I've recently got a new provider and a new modem (Ubee >.>) and it was easy enough to get to the port forwarding step.. but this router actually asks for the external IP aswell.

Can i just leave the external IP at 0.0.0.0? Or do i actually need to find out which IP WoW uses (I guess that might depend on the realm)?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Robin64

That evolution

PJ5D9eF.png

CHC

Alright so the real question is... will the artifact weapons have red titles like the "Artifact" category on the databases? Anyone remember in vanilla when the Warglaives of Azzinoth were red-titled artifacts that only existed in databases?

Shahadan

I wonder why they haven't talked about the transmogrification revamp, the social circles, or the new boost to 100. I'm curious now.

Saving an appearence is long overdue

Zelias

Banned
I wonder why they haven't talked about the transmogrification revamp, the social circles, or the new boost to 100. I'm curious now.

Saving an appearence is long overdue
The first two at least aren't really showy changes on the level of 'you can play a Demon Hunter and meet Illidan!' or 'You can wield Ashbringer and lead the Silver Hand!'. Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped for new transmog and interested in the social stuff (guessing D3-style communities) but that's not really the stuff you lead with. Hopefully we'll get more at the WoW panel.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
From Icyveins interview with Chilton and Ion:

Classes will evolve in a number of ways in Legion. The development team is looking closely at the core fantasy for each class. Talent changes and class changes are being made - stay tuned. The PvP talent system also gives the developers room to take PvP-type talents out of the current talent trees. PvP talents will not function in PvP environments.

As an example of class changes, the Survival Hunter 'spear' Artifact was brought up. In Legion, Survival Hunters will be a melee spec that utilizes a pet. To differentiate specializations, the developers will try to de-homogenize the classes. Further to this, Beast Mastery Hunters will fight at range with a pet, while Marksmanship Hunters will fight at range with NO PET.

Demonology Warlocks will be masters of summoning and controlling demons. Metamorphosis sort-of came to dominate the class, but the devs are refocusing the spec on demons. Affliction will continue to be about 'decay', and Destruction about 'bursts of fel fire'.

Professions are getting a lot of new stuff. The professions team for Legion is the largest that Blizzard has ever had for WoW, and they clearly heard the feedback that professions were underutilized in Warlords and overlapped with the Garrisons too much.

This has me pretty excited, tbh. Melee hunter with spear and pet sounds like it could be a lot of fun. still would have preferred troll headhunter spear thrower though :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, confirmed no weapon drops, but you still get weapon DPS upgrades from killing bosses:

You obtain your Artifact early on in the Legion experience. This is the weapon you will use throughout the expansion. You will not get weapon drops in Legion. Something that wasn't mentioned during the reveal is that each Artifact has a number of Relic slots, which will determine its raw item stats (DPS, ilvl, etc.) and modifiers to the traits you've chosen, so the Artifact's stats will still improve as you defeat bosses.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I want to know what they're doing for secondary specs, can you get one more than one weapon? More than 2?

At the start of WoD I had to go from Glad, to Fury and then to Arms in a matter of weeks because they kept buffing and nerfing the class so much. If I had picked a one hander for Glad, would I be fucked if I then needed to go Arms or TG Fury?

Seems like you're going to be doing a ton of work to upgrade the weapon so if I am able to get more than one, will I have to do the same amount of work but twice over?

Brohan

Not sure how i feel about the "No weapon drops".. but i do like the fact that they are trying to de-homogenize the classes.

Also, confirmed no weapon drops, but you still get weapon DPS upgrades from killing bosses:

Man fuck that, so much for trasmog hunting in legion, that was 1/2 the reason I even pugged shit in WoD.

Now the only weapon I get the whole fucking expansion is a fucking mace, I hate maces.

Fuck off blizz.

Shahadan

I'm happy with no weapon drops. Everytime I had a staff, I would loot an off hand item next, without having a mace. Or the other way around. annoying as fuck as a priest.

Zelias

Banned
No other weapons was kinda expected in Legion, really. So long as they make good on their customization promises and you can still xmog your weapon to a different model, I'm not that unhappy with it.

Totally on board for de-homogenizing classes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man fuck that, so much for trasmog hunting in legion, that was 1/2 the reason I even pugged shit in WoD.

Now the only weapon I get the whole fucking expansion is a fucking mace, I hate maces.

Fuck off blizz.

Can't you just transmog a mace to an axe or sword?

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
From Icyveins interview with Chilton and Ion:

This has me pretty excited, tbh. Melee hunter with spear and pet sounds like it could be a lot of fun. still would have preferred troll headhunter spear thrower though :p

Eh, its kind of cool, but with demon hunters being added seems like we have too much melee already. Not to mention one would think in terms of artifacts melee weapons are going to be way cooler. Ranged dps is going to be pretty sparse I am thinking.

Anoregon

No other weapons was kinda expected in Legion, really. So long as they make good on their customization promises and you can still xmog your weapon to a different model, I'm not that unhappy with it.

Totally on board for de-homogenizing classes.

Yeah I would be pretty surprised if you don't at least have the option to transmog your artifact to something else. I know you can't transmog legendaries, but seeing as how we are essentially forced to use artifacts it should not have the same restriction.

This interview is awkward as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLeopV-o1A8

You can tell they don't enjoy getting called out on the shortcomings of WoW.

I think it's not necessarily that they don't like hearing it, but since they have to be extremely diplomatic and sort of hand-waiving with their responses in order to not fan any flames or step on the toes of any colleagues, they end up having to be sort of knowingly disingenuous.

I will be t mogging it to an axe if possible, the kicker is I wont be getting any NEW axes or fist weapons the whole expansion to use/transmog.

So... What is even the point anymore? I won't be excited for a single weapon the whole fucking expansion.

Like why bother?

Anoregon

I will be t mogging it to an axe if possible, the kicker is I wont be getting any NEW axes or fist weapons the whole expansion to use/transmog.

So... What is even the point anymore? I won't be excited for a single weapon the whole fucking expansion.

Like why bother?

TBH I think you are definitely in a minority when it comes to just flat-out hating the appearance/style of your potential artifact. I don't expect "I hate doomhammer because I hate all maces" to be a very common opinion, especially given the customization options. I think most people are going to be fine with unlocking the various customization options in the place of looting transmog options.

ZenaxPure

I'm actually really excited about this. I've always felt like all 3 of the hunter specs felt too similar compared to the other pure DPS specs so turning one into melee and taking the pet away from another one sounds cool. Even if they still play similarly they will feel a little different at least in appearance.

Also other random things I found interesting from that page: "Karazhan was in the trailer for a reason, it's an important place." Not sure what to make of that, we know it's not a remade raid or part of any new dungeons or anything.

Also Dalaran is just going to be in the game twice I guess? They confirmed the Dalaran in Northrend will stay there as is. Are portals going to be confusing as hell now? lol.

Anoregon

The hunter separation of specs is superb, wonder how much other classes will be like this.

I expect hunter will be the most drastic, as they have suffered the most and longest from spec identity issues. Mage and Warlock specs are all quite mechanically and aesthetically different as-is. I could see a rogue spec (maybe subtlety) getting a retooling, though.

Anoregon

Yeah, I was thinking rogue would be a likely candidate for a shakeup.

How different are the two DK DPS specs?

Quite different, actually. I wouldn't expect anything major there.

Top Bottom