• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Wow...

That's terrible. How are they "not guaranteed". That's one of the best parts of a new expac : /

Probably because nobody really cares about them, except a small minority. And with the amount of boosting going on, they seem even more pointless.

Because Dungeons are briefly useful stepping stones to raiding at best and raiding is the only thing that matters.

He is talking about Challenge Modes, not Dungeons in general.

Tenebrous

But they said they wanted to change that.

Ah, Blizzard.

"We weren't happy with the dungeon situation in Warlords..." So we decided to launch Legion with the same amount of dungeons, plus one rehash of a dungeon you all hated, and remove the most compelling mode.

Well done, Blizzard.

Finally. :)

Give me some neat demons please.

I remember when warlocks had that trinket in BWL that amped their succubus's damage combined with some other trinket in TBC. Was crazy as hell.

out of all the pet specs I feel Unholy is the most fun and is closest to the mark with how the pet/player relationships hould be.

lazygecko

I think the whole "this is the biggest legion invasion ever" angle is just inevitably going to fall flat and feel underwhelming, since after the scourge invasion they have been so afraid of portraying events like that in such a way that could even remotely disrupt or merely inconvenience the routines of some players.

ZenaxPure

"We weren't happy with the dungeon situation in Warlords..." So we decided to launch Legion with the same amount of dungeons, plus one rehash of a dungeon you all hated, and remove the most compelling mode.

Well done, Blizzard.

People were unhappy with the dungeon situation in WoD because there wasn't a reason to run them past the first week or so of the expansion (until 6.2 but that was 8 months too late and they weren't really casual friendly). The actual number of dungeons isn't really the problem at all, I mean yes people want more dungeons but even if WoD would have launched with 20 dungeons that wouldn't have changed how people felt at all.

Tenebrous

People were unhappy with the dungeon situation in WoD because there wasn't a reason to run them past the first week or so of the expansion (until 6.2 but that was 8 months too late and they weren't really casual friendly). The actual number of dungeons isn't really the problem at all, I mean yes people want more dungeons but even if WoD would have launched with 20 dungeons that wouldn't have changed how people felt at all.

So, can we expect a Badge of Justice type of system? I hope so.

Removing their best feature still makes no sense.

Nokterian

I remember when warlocks had that trinket in BWL that amped their succubus's damage combined with some other trinket in TBC. Was crazy as hell.

out of all the pet specs I feel Unholy is the most fun and is closest to the mark with how the pet/player relationships hould be.

In TBC my warlock and i my guess every other one was amped up to be a glass cannon and nothing else when the old talent trees where there i always sacrificed one of my demons so i could do extra damage i was pushing life tap since you would mana burn so damn fast. Worst part is i couldn't farm with it i needed to respec every single time and the prices where high all of a sudden this was before dual spec.

I was using 2 things out of the 3 talent trees..it was nearly 50/50 split between demo and fire .

Here it is the famous 0/21/40 in destruction build.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Warlock_builds/Level_70

lazygecko

The Conquest system is going away.
The goals is to remove PvP gear. There will be PvP ways to obtain gear, but the power in PvP will be about the gear you obtain and the PvP talents that you unlock.

I guess PvP gear will only be cosmetic rewards now. But how are set bonuses going to work?

Tenebrous

I guess PvP gear will only be cosmetic rewards now. But how are set bonuses going to work?

Hopefully disarm reduction CD will now be baseline.

Either way, it seems like a very good change. I like the idea of getting a toon to max level and being able to compete almost straight away in PvP. I know how casual that sounds, but joining a BG undergeared is just a huge disadvantage for the team, and I feel bad doing it.

ZenaxPure

So, can we expect a Badge of Justice type of system? I hope so.

Unknown at this point. The interviews from yesterday basically say they haven't figured out exactly what they want to do to keep people running dungeons (outside of the obvious artifact system).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

A screenshot of the new honor system showed the pvp trinket as an unlockable, so set bonus stuff will function the same way I imagine.

In TBC my warlock and i my guess every other one was amped up to be a glass cannon and nothing else when the old talent trees where there i always sacrificed one of my demons so i could do extra damage i was pushing life tap since you would mana burn so damn fast. Worst part is i couldn't farm with it i needed to respec every single time and the prices where high all of a sudden this was before dual spec.

I was using 2 things out of the 3 talent trees..it was nearly 50/50 split between demo and fire .

Here it is the famous 0/21/40 in destruction build.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Warlock_builds/Level_70

TBC really was a wild frontier. None of it was balanced but there was a lot of options and classes were still unique. Pretty sure I'll always remember how broken Deep Thunder, Mace Stun and Windfury totem was.

Kind of hoping Windfury totem will be a pvp thing again. It probably won't be as good though, White hits aren't as powerful as they use to be for Warriors.

ampere

Gemüsepizza;174675870 said:
Probably because nobody really cares about them, except a small minority. And with the amount of boosting going on, they seem even more pointless.

I mean, it's basically designed for the semi-hardcore+ raiding audience, or those who used to raid and don't have time anymore. I remember a quote where they said participation rates in MoP exceeded their expectations.

That quote about making Challenge Modes more "accessible" has me mildly worried.

Yeah, isn't them being hard kind of the point?

Tacitus_

TBC really was a wild frontier. None of it was balanced but there was a lot of options and classes were still unique. Pretty sure I'll always remember how broken Deep Thunder, Mace Stun and Windfury totem was.

Kind of hoping Windfury totem will be a pvp thing again. It probably won't be as good though, White hits aren't as powerful as they use to be for Warriors.

Ahh, 2v2, a shaman pockethealer, Stunherald and mace spec. Good times.

The Raid or GTFO philosophy is pretty much set in stone as one of WoW's principal tenets at this point (unless you PvP), I wouldn't have expected much else.

It doesn't fit their playerbase anymore and raids are apparently too difficult for Blizzard to release on any kind of reasonable schedule anyway, so I'd like to see some mindset changes there, yes.

Gemüsepizza;174675870 said:

He is talking about Challenge Modes, not Dungeons in general.

I know he's talking about Challenge Modes, and that quote underlies the greater theme of small group content being strictly leveling content and very briefly progression until an ilvl that's LFR appropriate is reached.

Challenge Modes and Mythic Dungeons are good ideas with poor executions. When the reward is entirely cosmetic or useless from a progression standpoint for anyone capable of completing it, it's not being given much internal value.

I don't think people are asking for 20 dungeons upon release date. I do think people are asking for small group content to be supported throughout the lifecycle of an expansion.

ampere

Challenge Modes and Mythic Dungeons are good ideas with poor executions. When the reward is entirely cosmetic or useless from a progression standpoint for anyone capable of completing it, it's not being given much internal value.

Challenge Modes did give progression loot in 6.0 though. 640s before raids opened. We ran them a lot just for that, and I think a lot of others were doing the same.

And Mythic dungeons give useful loot to some, just not to Mythic raiders

Ahh, 2v2, a shaman pockethealer, Stunherald and mace spec. Good times.

nicely timed mace stun bro

Mythic dungeons are utterly pointless. You won't get an invite unless you have way higher ilvl than the dungeon is tuned for, making it useful for like raiders who want to fill in those last few slots that are lower ilvl. I see like 3-4 groups at most in LFR looking for people and it's always 680+ or have achievements. For people looking to catch up on gear, apexis + lfr + normal BRF seems like the way better option.

Dunlop

One of my buddies is starting to play again, which might suck me back in.

Are there any promotions going on right now for returning players?

I used one to play MoP a while back and apparently moved my main character to another server lol.

I really have no experience in this game since Cataclysm

Yeah Mythic dungeons are in a weird spot. I got to like 690+ solely off Apexis (albeit funneled empowered fragments from other characters) and about one piece of crafted gear on my alt. And 690 is good enough to get into normal HFC.

The tuning for the rewards is just not quite right, given that you pretty much have to overgear them to get into a group when the appropriate iLvl for them would be something like 670-675.

Some people speculating with the artifacts that frost might be dual wield only. That's disappointing, Arthas is the most iconic Death Knight for me and he's always come across as a mostly Frost death knight.

I'd be ok with it if they gave back Blood as a dps spec.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Some people speculating with the artifacts that frost might be dual wield only. That's disappointing, Arthas is the most iconic Death Knight for me and he's always come across as a mostly Frost death knight.

I'd be ok with it if they gave back Blood as a dps spec.

It is confirmed to be DW only now. 2H is for blood and they haven't said anything about unholy. Unholy is a 2Her of course.

The only weapon for frost in Legion is DW.

It is confirmed to be DW only now. 2H is for blood and they haven't said anything about unholy. Unholy is a 2Her of course.

The only weapon for frost in Legion is DW.

That's disappointing, I always liked the huge obliterate crits, guess there's always Ret Paladin or Arms warrior for that. I'm really curious to see the full extent of their changes. I'm guessing no spec going forward is going to have multiple styles anymore. Hunter probably 2h only as well. Wonder if they'll fuck with SMF and Titan's Grip.

Khezu

Usually when I come back to a wow expansion late, there is a lot of things I want to collect, like mounts, toys, gear, w/e.

So far in WoD, the only two things I want are the Tanaan bird mount, and a farming weapon from the garrison.

Kinda disappointed.

Zelias

Banned
In theory it's cool to have sub specs, but there are what, 34 total specs in the expac? That's enough really
36, and yeah if they can achieve their aims of taking specs back to their roots then I'm not bothered about things like 2H Frost.

Wonder what they'll do with Fury though. Gonna guess they'll get two-handers since that's unique to them iirc

Tacitus_

36, and yeah if they can achieve their aims of taking specs back to their roots then I'm not bothered about things like 2H Frost.

Wonder what they'll do with Fury though. Gonna guess they'll get two-handers since that's unique to them iirc

Uh, Two-handers is Arms' hat. Fury gets to DW.

Nokterian

As i said to yoshi on twitter the amount of salt in the reveal thread was so damn high clearly people who stopped playing after Wotlk or cata do not know how much has changed still looking forward to play the new expansion it's still the only MMO i truly play to this day.

RPGCrazied

I hope they get rid of Assault quests in Legion, so long to do some of them. I have 3 more thank god, and one of them I might not be able to solo. Into the pitt.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Uh, Two-handers is Arms' hat. Fury gets to DW.

He's saying dual-wielding 2-handers is unique to Fury. I would be very surprised if they forgo that aspect of the "class fantasy" and give fury a pair of 1-handers.

TheYanger

I meant dual wielding two handers. That is unique to Fury, yes?

It is, but it's not like it's 'iconic' to them. Just dual wielding in general is. I mean, they could go either way with the artifact weapon (heck they don't even have to remove 2h frost for example, but only giving dw effectively kills it for the expansion at least) and then have both again in the future. I think making warriors just not care about one handers would be a mistake.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What prot Warriors get.

"Icebreaker"

eDjlwxml.jpg

Doesn't look all that legendary.

Khezu

Would be cool if the shield doubled as a scabbard, and you sheathed your sword into it.

Would give it a nice unique effect.

They also said the WoW team was the biggest it had ever been in WoD. We all know how that turned out.

Well done, Blizzard.

Sounds about right.

Tenebrous

It is, but it's not like it's 'iconic' to them. Just dual wielding in general is. I mean, they could go either way with the artifact weapon (heck they don't even have to remove 2h frost for example, but only giving dw effectively kills it for the expansion at least) and then have both again in the future. I think making warriors just not care about one handers would be a mistake.

I'm not really bothered if Fury gets one handers or two handers, but I would like a Sword/Axe combo. Maces don't feel very fury.

traveler

Not Wario
If the dungeons maintain the quality of WoD, have a challenging option, and are actually valuable to do beyond the pre-raid period in endgame, I have no problems with the number. There's nothing contradictory about saying you want players to stick around with 5 mans longer and only giving 9 5 mans- they just haven't specified what they intend to do about it. Having 30 brand new dungeons without making dungeons more useful in endgame would be pretty much the same as having 10. You'd repeat less dungeons in that period where you run them, sure, but then you'd stop running them all the same once you cleared the gear threshold for entry level raiding..

Top Bottom