• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gonna have to agree to disagree because that is crazy talk to me. Leaving an expansion out to rot nearly a year absolutely hampers the quality of it.

The content droughts hamper enjoyment of the content, not the content's actual quality. That's to be expected because of course we get tired of doing the same shit every week for like 13 months or whatever. It's human nature and diminishing returns making a thing that was great seem less great due to being so used to it. That doesn't retroactively make those things less good.

I mean, I still think Diablo 2 was one of the best games of all time, but I don't really feel like playing it ever again because I played it so much for so long.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yep, pure melee hunter. What little I played seemed pretty fun, though I didn't experience any end-game content on it.

Annoyingly, you have to do 1 to 10 as BM. Every class now starts level 1 in a specific spec and you can't change til 10 as usual.

cool cool

anoregon stop ignoring me asshole

I really enjoyed TOGC tbh, more than anything after it besides T11, T10, ToT and maybe T12. Faction Champions is of my favorite raid bosses of all time.

I'm very anti trash though, ever raid was a boss rush I might actually start raiding again.

I want my WAR White Lion damn it ;_;

This might be rose colored glasses speaking but ptr survival is nowhere near as fun as WAR's white lion was.

ampere

You guys talk about the pvp changes yet?

Normalizing gear is a great way to make everyone more effective and allow skill to play more of a role in pvp but it takes away a lot of the incentive hardcore pvpers had.

It's not 100% gear independent, it's just the difference it only a few % now instead of 15%+

So better gear is still good, but I think cosmetic stuff (titles, mounts) and the glory of winning is what mainly motivates people anyway

ZenaxPure

The content droughts hamper enjoyment of the content, not the content's actual quality.

The things I said I disliked had nothing to do with how long they were out, I just didn't like them for the reasons I gave.

Basically, yeah I agree with what you're saying if this is your point.

Robin64

It does seem initially like there are less buttons for most classes, but then you realise that every talent row offers (usually) either a passive for people that like that, or a new button to press. You can, if you want, go nuts with buttons to press.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The things I said I disliked had nothing to do with how long they were out, I just didn't like them for the reasons I gave.

Basically, yeah I agree with what you're saying if this is your point.

It's cool cuz we'll both feel great when Legion has the best content ever and the gap between the last patch and 8.0 is less then 8 months

I'm laughing to hold back the tears.

Panthers

I'm just praying Blizz will tune the damage on Demo locks before launch. They keep saying they want all specs viable, but viable is a very loose term.

ZenaxPure

It's cool cuz we'll both feel great when Legion has the best content ever and the gap between the last patch and 8.0 is less then 8 months

I'm laughing to hold back the tears.

Even just 8 months between the final content patch and the next expansion would actually be damn impressive for Blizzard.

Anoregon

I'm just praying Blizz will tune the damage on Demo locks before launch. They keep saying they want all specs viable, but viable is a very loose term.

I think I'm done with Demo lock until/unless the retool the Demonic Empowerment mechanic. It's not fun and it contributes pretty heavily to some of the specs major issues (ramp up time, lack of quick target swapping). It needs to be literally anything other than a buff that you cast twice every 12 seconds. Its current incarnation is literally the worst possible version of it.

Even just 8 months between the final content patch and the next expansion would actually be damn impressive for Blizzard.

I know, 8 months would be fucking miraculous. I almost put 10 months because even that seems too hopeful.

Boogdud

I was kinda hoping they would just so I wouldn't have go through all of my keybinds later today. That's going to take an entire night to figure out.

I'm going to be toast if bartender doesn't work. I haven't even checked, I think because I'm scared to find out it won't be updated...

Also, I really dislike the argument that less buttons = less skill/dumbed down. The decision making process in combat is what determines "skill" within the game in my opinion.

It's like saying a formula 1 car is simple because it has 4 'buttons' (steering wheel/gas/brake/shift).

ampere

A lot of the complexity for classes is gated behind artifacts, so many specs will feel overly simplistic this week I expect.

Damage is not going to be balanced this week. It never is in pre-expansion patches

I'm going to be toast if bartender doesn't work. I haven't even checked, I think because I'm scared to find out it won't be updated...

Also, I really dislike the argument that less buttons = less skill/dumbed down. The decision making process in combat is what determines "skill" within the game in my opinion.

It's like saying a formula 1 car is simple because it has 4 'buttons' (steering wheel/gas/brake/shift).

It was not my intention to say less buttons means less skill. I just want less buttons to babysit and press.

ZenaxPure

A lot of the complexity for classes is gated behind artifacts, so many specs will feel overly simplistic this week I expect.

Yeah this can't be stressed enough. Especially because for almost every spec your artifact ability is part of your core rotation. A lot of specs will feel like they are missing a button somewhere, because they totally are.

I know we usually have a similar thing with talents (not being able to access the upper talent tier until the expansion launches) but this feels even more crucial than that.

ZenaxPure

I dunno about revamped. Anything they like from the artifact tree they can simply roll into the base toolkit when the expansion is over and toss out the stuff they don't like.

ampere

There will be another revamp (maybe revamp is too strong, there will be many class changes in 8.0 ofc), but if they like how the artifact abilities/passives worked out for a spec, they can pretty easily just roll those into the spec's base kit. Similar to how they do test runs for new class mechanics using tier set bonuses (and in Legion, Legendaries as well)

Anoregon

Wow. The Icyveins class guides are up for all specs, and here is what it says about Demonology:

Viability in the Current Patch

Though Demonology presents a novel concept, it is currently an extremely weak specialization. Presently, the other two Warlock specializations do everything better, without exception."

Fucking GG. I really wanted this spec to be worth a shit.

Tarazet

Are all class specs becoming dumb-downed after this patch? I mean will there be less buttons to press in regards to rotations.

I know my spec, Balance Druid isn't getting pruned at all in terms of core rotation. In fact we have more buttons than before though it's really just back to how it was before the auto-Eclipse meter.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I know my spec, Balance Druid isn't getting pruned at all in terms of core rotation. In fact we have more buttons than before though it's really just back to how it was before the auto-Eclipse meter.

The auto-eclipse meter was the stupidest thing ever, imo.

I can't wait for my work day to be over so I can get on the game again. Assuming the game is up ... lol

Robin64

There at least needs to be another squish. My stats at 110 are obscene again and bordering on meaningless because of the high numbers.

Milennia

Are all class specs becoming dumb-downed after this patch? I mean will there be less buttons to press in regards to rotations.

some have more and some have less, many of the specs that have less are more complicated in their priorities.

shadow doesnt have many buttons at all but is probably the most complex spec to get used to playing well for example due to their constant resource management in voidform trying to fight for higher stacks.

gets REALLY fucking crazy in s2m.

Can't wait to re-learn my specs :3

I'm especially excited about Enhancement, but my main spec (Resto) doesn't appear to have changed much at all. Oh well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah this can't be stressed enough. Especially because for almost every spec your artifact ability is part of your core rotation. A lot of specs will feel like they are missing a button somewhere, because they totally are.

I know we usually have a similar thing with talents (not being able to access the upper talent tier until the expansion launches) but this feels even more crucial than that.

and are casuals going to miss out on this because they dont raid?

Lomax

Woah, they expanded mob tapping to five people? That's a huge change. Maybe I'll go back to farming warbringers.

Also, the patch applied (as far as I can tell) but my install size hasn't changed any. Did they really manage to bump up the size of WoW permanently from 30 gb to 50 gb without even a mention? How big is the beta install?

and are casuals going to miss out on this because they dont raid?

Casuals "raid" now, LFR is about as casual as you can get. The casual/hardcore delineation regarding raiding has always been a misnomer anyway. If the question is, will non-raiders miss out? Well they always do, it's a core aspect of the endgame play.

Rhaknar

Wow. The Icyveins class guides are up for all specs, and here is what it says about Demonology:

Fucking GG. I really wanted this spec to be worth a shit.

youre killing me here. This and stuff like melee hunter or that rogue with pistols thing are the stuff that make me want to resub. basically anything that is novel

Rhaknar

Everyone get an artifact when starting the expansion, it's not a raider thing.

even alts? I asked this yesterday but think it got lost in the shuffle. and how do multiple specs work?

like hunter gets a artifact bow I assume, but survival doesnt use bow? or tanks?

Tarazet

even alts? I asked this yesterday but think it got lost in the shuffle. and how do multiple specs work?

like hunter gets a artifact bow I assume, but survival doesnt use bow? or tanks?

Each spec gets its own artifact and earns AP separately. I don't think there is anything like a "loot spec" where you can spec one way while earning power for another.

Robin64

Every class has a unique questline before venturing to the Broken Isles proper, which is where you acquire the artifact. These take you all over, some people will be going back into Ulduar, some will visit The Lich King, and others will delve deep under Karazhan.

Every class has three questlines for the three artifacts, and while you choose one at 100, you get to do the other two at 102.

Rhaknar

Every class has a unique questline before venturing to the Broken Isles proper, which is where you acquire the artifact. These take you all over, some people will be going back into Ulduar, some will visit The Lich King, and others will delve deep under Karazhan.

Every class has three questlines for the three artifacts, and while you choose one at 100, you get to do the other two at 102.

you are selling me hard on the xpac

Shahadan

I'm still annoyed that my monk is getting ugly fist weapons. I like using two swords ;(
The artifact questline was a huge disappointment as well.

Probably going to bench him in favor of DH.

ZenaxPure

Woah, they expanded mob tapping to five people? That's a huge change. Maybe I'll go back to farming warbringers.

Also worth pointing out, if you're in a party and someone tags the mob you still get credit, even if that goes beyond the 5 person limit apparently. Honestly not sure about the specifics of it (like can 5 full parties all tag the same mob?) but they specifically mentioned parties in their feedback thread about it.

Lomax

I'm still annoyed that my monk is getting ugly fist weapons. I like using two swords ;(
The artifact questline was a huge disappointment as well.

Probably going to bench him in favor of DH.

They really should have had a transmog exception for artifacts that lets you xmog any weapon type your class can use. Even allow people to switch dual wielding and such. Lots of us have defined our characters with weapons for a long time now and forcing such a fundamental and unalterable change sucks with limited or no alternatives.

Also worth pointing out, if you're in a party and someone tags the mob you still get credit, even if that goes beyond the 5 person limit apparently. Honestly not sure about the specifics of it (like can 5 full parties all tag the same mob?) but they specifically mentioned parties in their feedback thread about it.

That's interesting, I wonder how they're handling loot in those situations. I'm skimming that thread now.

Edit: ugh, reading that thread makes the feature sound half baked and poorly implemented. I guess it's still an overall improvement though.

Rhaknar

what art do locks get? better be some creepy ass staff because staves > 1h/oh damn it

Anoregon

what art do locks get? better be some creepy ass staff because staves > 1h/oh damn it

Destruction gets the Staff of Sargeras, which is what Ner'Zhul had when he blew up Draenor

Affliction gets a Soul-reaping Scythe thing.

Demo gets the disembodied (sentient) head of an ancient Eredar demon summoner. It floats around over your shoulder.

Rhaknar

just logged in for the first time in months... my 100 is my Priest. lolwhut?

my lock is 90 wtf lol.

and I notice all my chars say innactive (im not subbed yet) except my rogue which is normal, she is lvl 20. So i guess thats how the 1-20 for free works then

Does the new target tapping rules change how boss/quest mob tapping works? With those as long as you did some damage you got credit. They aren't limiting those to 5 now too, right?

Lomax

Does the new target tapping rules change how boss/quest mob tapping works? With those as long as you did some damage you got credit. They aren't limiting those to 5 now too, right?

No, that stuff is unchanged. It's just been expanded somewhat on "normal" mobs.

ZenaxPure

Feedback thread says that bosses/rares and the like will continue to work like they do now (so FFA tagging).

Top Bottom