• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT7| Feel the hatred of 10,000 Murlocs

Lanrutcon

I was in LFR yesterday grabbing the last few tomes on an alt: Fel Reaver kept pointing in the wrong direction before he Blitzed.

Fjordson

Z-Perl got updated. And all my settings are right where they were. Yass

tumblr_nam7hzLUFp1tuhfoxo2_250.gif

Now I can actually play =D

Frostbrand without Hailstorm is pointless in PVE, yes. Boulderfist is amazing. Like, no-brainer good.

Your rotation should be something like: apply your 3 buffs (Boulder, Hail, Fire) and keep them up. Feral Spirit when it's up. Stormstrike and Crash Lightning when they're up. Lava Lash to dump Maelstrom when your buffs are up and SS/CL are on CD. Boulder to build Maelstrom if you don't have any.

Oh, so drop Rockbiter completely and just generate maelstrom from regular melee and Boulderfist? I guess that would make things a little better. But I'll still have to wiggle Frostbrand in there. I just realized Hailstorm means that while Frostbrand buff is up the melee swings deal the frost damage. I read it as just bumping up the damage with each Frostbrand cast. Yeah, that makes Hailstorm much better than I previously thought.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check this out soon.

Edit: Ugh, just realized that I have Landslide as my last talent which gets a buff from Rockbiter so with that talent I'd need to work that buff in as well. Now it's just getting silly. I'm assuming with how you wrote about it you must go with Ascendance since you didn't talk about the Rockbiter buff or working Earthen Spike into the rotation or using it off cooldown. Big ol' mess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I did have that moment earlier today of going to farm frogs, seeing two boomkins there and being like, 'oh well so much for this spot.....wait a minute. you dont have god mode starfall anymore'

Anyone know what the pre-patch max is on the new 1-10 scale for view distance, ground clutter, etc.?

Pretty certain those fell to 7/10. That's what mine started at when I came back to the game today after my break. And I thought I recall reading in the patch notes about how there's three higher graphics levels over the previous highest level. But that could be my imagination.

Fjordson

Pretty certain those fell to 7/10. That's what mine started at when I came back to the game today after my break. And I thought I recall reading in the patch notes about how there's three higher graphics levels over the previous highest level. But that could be my imagination.
Yeah, 7 seems pretty similar to me, both in performance and looks, but wasn't sure exactly.

Lanrutcon

Oh, so drop Rockbiter completely and just generate maelstrom from regular melee and Boulderfist? I guess that would make things a little better. But I'll still have to wiggle Frostbrand in there. I just realized Hailstorm means that while Frostbrand buff is up the melee swings deal the frost damage. I read it as just bumping up the damage with each Frostbrand cast. Yeah, that makes Hailstorm much better than I previously thought.

Edit: Ugh, just realized that I have Landslide as my last talent which gets a buff from Rockbiter so with that talent I'd need to work that buff in as well. Now it's just getting silly. I'm assuming with how you wrote about it you must go with Ascendance since you didn't talk about the Rockbiter buff or working Earthen Spike into the rotation or using it off cooldown. Big ol' mess.

Landlside also works with Boulderfist. That talent is going to scale stupidly well as our gear gets better. Plus 8% main stat? yes please.

mclem

Hey all. Returning to WoW after a year or so break and currently in the need of a guild.

I'm on EU. I use to belong to a fairly large guild but prefer a small guild so I can get to know everyone and have a sense of a community like the old days.

We (Last Crusaders: Aggramar) always open to new people, although don't come to us if you want top-end raiding!

(That said, we are a bit quiet at weekends, so that might not suit you)

Landlside also works with Boulderfist. That talent is going to scale stupidly well as our gear gets better. Plus 8% main stat? yes please.

Ah, good stuff then. I can definitely see that being nerfed as that 8% bonus does seem a bit crazy. I really didn't think I'd get pulled back in but these changes are good and after browsing a bit about Artifact weapons those appear like they'll be fun to work on. And there's plenty for me to just be a bit overpowered and catch up on with Warlords content I can return to and Pandaria raids I imagine will all be solo-able at level 110 (mechanics might require more people on some bosses)?

So have you guys picked your main for Legion yet?

Going all in on WW, which is really surprising since I was dead set on Fury or Shadow.

I get to switch to Demon Hunter as one of two on the raid team.

Right now I'm just praying, praying that they fix all the Momentum animation cancelling bullshit and/or buff other talents to be better. Momentum is more fun than you might anticipate if you were skeptical like I was, but it'd get old very quick if it's the only viable build.

The thing I'm kinda dreading is that I'm almost sure they'll get significant changes after launch, be it in a major (7.1) patch or not, causing everyone to have to relearn half the stuff.

Still need to try out Vengeance for the occasional time I may be asked to tank if an encounter is particularly suited to it and/or we're out a tank for the night or need a third tank beyond the main 2.

Robin64

Ret feels fine to me. Before the patch it was pretty much "hit any button that's up", but now I have to make sure I've got a Judgment debuff on my target before hitting it with a holy spender. I've picked the "Crusade" talent which replaced Avenging Wrath and requires me to spend as much holy power as possible in a quick amount of time to get up to 52.5% extra damage and haste. That requires a little thought and planning to get there as fast as possible. Execution Sentence simply gave me another button to press, too. Then there's Eye for an Eye which is super badass against melee attackers.

Nah, don't see why anyone would say it's worse now, there's more to think about.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only specs that feel 'ruined' to me are BM and MM Hunter because they were already too easy to play at a core level as it is.

oh and Demonology is just unfun. I hated old demo though so i dont know how to say it's 'ruined' or not

mclem

I feel like the new change to personal loot that allows it to be tradeable to raid members if it is not a strict ilvl upgrade for you makes the scenarios in which master loot would be preferable for a pug (or even a non-guild organized group) very, very small.

My main worry about the new personal loot system is the situation where - in a raid - there's certain items that are only appropriate to very few classes/specs. Do they effectively have far fewer rolls that might drop the item? From a personal standpoint shields are the biggy there, but there's also occasional situations where we have, like, five plate users and one cloth user in a 10-man raid. Is the cloth user screwed?

Well ret pally feels like absolute poop now. I'm all for getting rid of bloat but with this patch I now feel like I truly have just three usable skills, with the rest on my bar just waiting for my holy power to fill up. I especially feel sparse on abilities when the three that I can use have 4-6 second cooldowns, and if I spam them all I'm left scratching my bum until holy power is full ans then I use one of my powered abilities.

Definitely need to test more but I am just not having fun. Time to level a druid, I'm hearing great things about them and on my old server during wotlk I loved playing druid.

I absolutely miss Exorcism, the free procs we used to get off of a couple of abilities and not really having that big holy power spender anymore with Seraphim being gone. Went from being super active, with multiple abilities to choose from at any given moment to just spinning your wheels a lot waiting for a few abilities to come off of CD and auto-attacking junk. It's going to be a painful wait for that artifact.

I do some Tanaan junk on my Ret and that's about it right now. Been leveling a Survival Hunter in the meantime.

Shahadan

The new nameplates are a cool idea but half assed once again. No useful settings whatsoever, especially if you're a healer.

And Tidyplates is still not working =(

HowZatOZ

Banned
You don't get it - the spec is built to have as many or as little buttons as you want through the talent tree. If you want to be all passives, you can do that. If you want to push buttons, you can do that.

The base spec is five or so abilities yes, but how you want to play it is determined in the talents.

Like it should be.

And that's fine for classes to be built around talents unlocking abilities, but right now I feel like its a punishment to mix and match to what I think is interesting. I come out with only three abilities to use that aren't reliant on holy power and if I actually use those abilities I'm stuck auto-attacking trash waiting for them to refresh. As I said, I'll be experimenting anyway but right now it feels like ret paladin ain't my cup of tea, though I have yet to try holy and prot.

erawsd

My main worry about the new personal loot system is the situation where - in a raid - there's certain items that are only appropriate to very few classes/specs. Do they effectively have far fewer rolls that might drop the item? From a personal standpoint shields are the biggy there, but there's also occasional situations where we have, like, five plate users and one cloth user in a 10-man raid. Is the cloth user screwed?

My understanding of personal loot is system figures out how much loot the group gets (20% per person)> who should get it> what they get based on spec.

The new nameplates are a cool idea but half assed once again. No useful settings whatsoever, especially if you're a healer.

And Tidyplates is still not working =(

I don't know if Kui Nameplates is working, but that's what I've used in the past. There's also this new one called Plater Nameplates that may be worth a try. Done by the guy that did Details!, Iskar Assist, and Flash Taskbar, among others. It's supposed to be pretty good. He's also doing World Quest Tracker, which I've already said is the god-tier addon for world quests on beta - gonna be the Master Plan of Legion with a little more refinement.

Khoryos

Have any of you noticed a change to the Daily/Assault mission progress bars? One of my friends just told me that he and his guild don't see it at all any more, which sounds kinda fucky.

I've not done any since the patch, so I don't know.

Have any of you noticed a change to the Daily/Assault mission progress bars? One of my friends just told me that he and his guild don't see it at all any more, which sounds kinda fucky.

That the stuff where you kill mobs and do random things to get it to 100%? I ran into one in the area leading up to building the shipyard (Iron Docks?) that had the meter and I completed it. No problems at all.

mclem

Got on today to test out tanks.

I've never been more sad. They've gutted everything. All the tanks use like 6 abilities now.

How is this fun?

Anyone in the beta, does tanking at least get better at 110?

It feels like I'm using more, currently, personally. Or maybe it's that it feels like I have to use absolutely everything to survive!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As gross as this sounds to say. It's just where I'm at in my life.

I would probably pay like 20 bucks to boost all my primary and secondary professions to max. I'm switching mains for Legions and this is by far the worst part

Shahadan

I don't know if Kui Nameplates is working, but that's what I've used in the past. There's also this new one called Plater Nameplates that may be worth a try. Done by the guy that did Details!, Iskar Assist, and Flash Taskbar, among others. It's supposed to be pretty good. He's also doing World Quest Tracker, which I've already said is the god-tier addon for world quests on beta - gonna be the Master Plan of Legion with a little more refinement.

Tried Plater just now and I like it. Thanks!

This guy is doing all the cool things

Had this problem on beta. Gotta make sure you're not tracking too many other quests in the objective tracker or it won't display bonus objective progress bars/world quests which get tacked on the bottom of all your other quests. It's kinda dumb, but that's the simple fix that I'm aware of.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'm not sure.

As gross as this sounds to say. It's just where I'm at in my life.

I would probably pay like 20 bucks to boost all my primary and secondary professions to max. I'm switching mains for Legions and this is by far the worst part

Secondaries I guess? But right now you can literally level up at least 1-600 in like 5 minutes on most professions with cheap, abundant Draenor mats. And in Legion, profession level doesn't really matter at all as all the Legion trade skill stuff is gated behind quests/reps and the 3-star system. The main offender left is Archaeology, and to some extent fishing, but there's the books for that if you've put in time previously.

v1perz53

Boulderfist replaces rockbiter, so you don't have a choice but to drop it completely. Boulderfist basically allows you to choose between the "I at least always have this button to spam" rotation versus the more WoD style "use these CDs when they are up" style. I like Boulderfist play much better because I always hated classes where any second I wasn't spamming my filler was hurting my DPS (like old hunters with steady/cobra), Boulderfist allows you to have dead GCDs that don't penalize your DPS as long as you aren't Maelstrom capped and one charge of Boulderfist is cooling down.

Seiniyta

Hm, yesterday when I unlocked a new appearance a message appeared in the chat window that I did so which was really handy. But I'm not sure what I did, but now it doesn't appear anymore. I'm not sure if it was an addon I disabled or a setting I changed but I can't seem to find how to put that back.

Tried Plater just now and I like it. Thanks!

This guy is doing all the cool things

Glad you like it!

I want to try it myself, though Kui Nameplates is updated as well. Really want to rejigger a bunch of my UI going into Legion though to freshen things up. No better time, and you really can get too complacent with a UI that works but isn't necessarily optimized.

Maybe I'm a little eccentric in this regard, but I love getting and playing around with new addons and weakauras, trying to get the best experience possible. Because I know some people detest change like that and try to have as few addons as possible.

Hm, yesterday when I unlocked a new appearance a message appeared in the chat window that I did so which was really handy. But I'm not sure what I did, but now it doesn't appear anymore. I'm not sure if it was an addon I disabled or a setting I changed but I can't seem to find how to put that back.

I think some addon may be responsible for that. Haven't a clue which one it might be though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Been a good while since I've played and I have no idea what race I want to start with... As a rogue.

I forgot how hard it was to just pick something!

So I think I figured out what's weird about Shadow priest for me. Note I'm 96 - been leveling since returning (was 80) and whereas before I felt like I had some choices in my rotation, now it's just dots/fill with Mind Flay/wait for voidform. Which, okay, I can get used to; I liked having some choices, but can do. However - in instances and while questing, I'm really wondering why voidform isn't instant. It's got a fair casting time and then a second before you can use the bolt - and by then everything/most everything is pretty much dead and you're waiting for the next and you're running and there's nothing to cast on so you can't maintain insanity and oh, well, okay. Maybe next time.

On some boss fights I've been able to keep it up and in busy rooms, but on average, I never really get any use out of it so I have no idea if I like it or not. Any spriests in endgame here can tell me about it? Do you like it?

So I think I figured out what's weird about Shadow priest for me. Note I'm 96 - been leveling since returning (was 80) and whereas before I felt like I had some choices in my rotation, now it's just dots/fill with Mind Flay/wait for voidform. Which, okay, I can get used to; I liked having some choices, but can do. However - in instances and while questing, I'm really wondering why voidform isn't instant. It's got a fair casting time and then a second before you can use the bolt - and by then everything/most everything is pretty much dead and you're waiting for the next and you're running and there's nothing to cast on so you can't maintain insanity and oh, well, okay. Maybe next time.

On some boss fights I've been able to keep it up and in busy rooms, but on average, I never really get any use out of it so I have no idea if I like it or not. Any spriests in endgame here can tell me about it? Do you like it?

I don't really play priest, but I think I've heard (from Slootbag's stream?) that this is a problem with the spec right now. Performs poorly in mythic dungeons and the like because of the need to constantly be in combat to be effective. Unless they change the mechanics significantly (unlikely until at least a 7.1 patch), you're probably just fucked if you don't like the way it works, unless they buff it out the wazoo for it to not matter.

But low level dungeons are usually not the best indicator either if people are blazing through them with heirloom gear regardless.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Survival hunters are weird.

I was doing some Battlegrounds as surv last night and it was pretty cool. Harpooning onto dudes running away from you is super fun.

Ultratech

Only specs that feel 'ruined' to me are BM and MM Hunter because they were already too easy to play at a core level as it is.

oh and Demonology is just unfun. I hated old demo though so i dont know how to say it's 'ruined' or not

*reads Hunter changes*

Ooof. They really stripped the specs of a lot of stuff it seems.

BM in particular sounds awful and super simplistic now.

It already felt somewhat stripped down in WoD, Legion makes it sound worse than before.

I don't really play priest, but I think I've heard (from Slootbag's stream?) that this is a problem with the spec right now. Performs poorly in mythic dungeons and the like because of the need to constantly be in combat to be effective. Unless they change the mechanics significantly (unlikely until at least a 7.1 patch), you're probably just fucked if you don't like the way it works, unless they buff it out the wazoo for it to not matter.

But low level dungeons are usually not the best indicator either if people are blazing through them with heirloom gear regardless.

Yeah, that's why I figured I'd ask, because the experience may be different later, but it sounds like not. If they would just make going into voidform an instant, I think this would be largely fixed. That's it's a relatively slow cast is just weird. I'm going to reinstall a damage meter today and if I can't get a handle on it, I'm gonna change specs, I guess. It's not like the gear matters as much anymore since they took away all the stats, amirite?

Daniel R

Camped in Dread Wastes for the last Primordial Direhorn and finally got it.

That takes some pain away from cleaning 40 + character banks of stuff in preparation for Legion + opening 5k crates and 2 full guild banks worth of Transmog items.

Boogdud

*reads Hunter changes*

Ooof. They really stripped the specs of a lot of stuff it seems.

BM in particular sounds awful and super simplistic now.

It already felt somewhat stripped down in WoD, Legion makes it sound worse than before.

Yeah MM is pretty stripped down as well. I was really down on it with what little I did on the PTR. But Milennia wasn't kidding, they do a SHITLOAD of damage. If you're good at weaving your vulnerabilities they absolutely wreck stuff. I'm kind of torn because the hunter makes most content much easier, but the other melee classes are so flashy and neat...

Top Bottom