• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

cdyhybrid

Double jump is fun

sQmuRUO.jpg

Fjordson

The reason why people are more into alts now is that your progress these days is gated so much by daily or weekly limits.
Totally agreed, have a bit more time.

Am I the only one who doesn't really mess around with alts? Feel like back in vanilla being an altoholic wasn't nearly as common as it seems to be these days, which on one hand makes sense given how long the games been out but still - always been the type given my limited available playtime to prefer to max the potential of one character
I think one major part of it is the account-wide factor, at least for me. Starting an alt back in the day was truly going back to square one. Nowadays I can use all my heirlooms to level faster, use all the dope titles I've earned over the years, ride my Mimiron's Head or any other cool mount I've acquired, etc. Some of it's superficial, but it makes a difference.

They've basically made it a lot more attractive to start new characters because you aren't totally hitting the reset button.

Jag

The reason why people are more into alts now is that your progress these days is gated so much by daily or weekly limits.

My motivation for leveling alts started when I stopped raiding seriously. I needed something else to do during endgame and at first I found trying new mechanics interesting.

Garrisons (and lack of content) is what finally made me finish all my alts and probably why I just broke 1M gold (thanks Fel Spreaders!) without trying too hard.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Alts also share mounts now, and heirlooms are not only a thing but much easier to access. Leveling itself is also much faster. Having a set of max level characters back then was a much bigger deal than it is now.

Epix

Anyone know why no matter how many times I move the Achievement frames using MoveAnything, they always reset to the bottom of the screen?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dalaran seems the same to me.

I mean, okay it doesn't have the lag. Or CITIZENS OF DALARAN

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm still mad we never got to go inside alt-Shattrath. It was just a big inaccessible dome in a state of being perpetually assaulted.

Remember when Karabor and some cut Frostfire city were supposed to be faction capitals? And we were meant to have garrisons in any zone we wanted? So much was cut from WoD.

I just signed on again after skipping all of WoD. I have a 90 monk but I think I'll go with my 85 paladin instead. I'm assuming going through Pandaria is still the way to go? Or can I find consistent stuff to do within the launch invasion event thing?

I've forgotten all my buttons so my paladin is crappy to say the least, so I don't want to deal with groupfinder.

Xando

I just signed on again after skipping all of WoD. I have a 90 monk but I think I'll go with my 85 paladin instead. I'm assuming going through Pandaria is still the way to go? Or can I find consistent stuff to do within the launch invasion event thing?

I've forgotten all my buttons so my paladin is crappy to say the least, so I don't want to deal with groupfinder.

Invasion + dungeons seems to be the fastest way. Atleast that's how i lvl my shadow right now

mileS

My computer is long in the tooth now so I'm finally messing with settings to get the most out of my performance. I'm one of the rare people that doesn't mind the FXAA blur (for some games, not all) and I found in some cases it really improved my FPS in WoW from what I tested (used MSAA 4x before) I actually find the blur works well with WoW's art style.

One thing that I can't get around is how god awful the player and NPC names are. It makes me feel like I need glasses and you need to be close to npc's or players to pick out the text. Is there annnnnny way around this at all?

Aeana

After playing disc a bit I feel like I understand the spec really well now. I was doing terribly at first, but I'm holding it down fine in dungeons at this point. The stories of people kicking disc priests from dungeons because they think the new spec is bad concern me; it seems like a really misunderstood spec.

I have to admit, though, that the community pessimism makes the spec more compelling to me. I'm weird like that.

Aeana

My computer is long in the tooth now so I'm finally messing with settings to get the most out of my performance. I'm one of the rare people that doesn't mind the FXAA blur (for some games, not all) and I found in some cases it really improved my FPS in WoW from what I tested (used MSAA 4x before) I actually find the blur works well with WoW's art style.

One thing that I can't get around is how god awful the player and NPC names are. It makes me feel like I need glasses and you need to be close to npc's or players to pick out the text. Is there annnnnny way around this at all?
Best way around this is honestly to just use an addon that changes the font that names are rendered in to something bolder.

scoobs

I don't use any AA at all, I game at 1440p and the game is beautiful

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Even just having the pre-launch event has made WoW feel soooooo much more lively than it ever has in the past two years. Can't wait to see how it is when Legion is out.

vocab

After playing disc a bit I feel like I understand the spec really well now. I was doing terribly at first, but I'm holding it down fine in dungeons at this point. The stories of people kicking disc priests from dungeons because they think the new spec is bad concern me; it seems like a really misunderstood spec.

I have to admit, though, that the community pessimism makes the spec more compelling to me. I'm weird like that.

Problems with the spec come from a) your tank doesnt understand how they heal (also unfamiliar with tanking in Legion). b)people in your group don't know how they heal (so they think you can just emergency heal them to full easily) c) have very little to no room for mistakes. If your tank anit using any mitigation or defensives you pretty much have to baby sit him with shield on cooldown. Aoe healing upfront (requires setting up similar to mop mistweaver) anit as good as druid/resto shaman D) unproven in raids.

I watched Sco from method try a disc and his tank was oblivious how disc worked in a 5 man alpha dungeon, and people dropped to very dangerous levels, and some people died because of pulling when the healer isn't ready.

It's probably going to take a full expansion for this spec to work. I think it will be a decent Gold/WR challange mode healer, but hard to know if competes when everyone else can heal easier and do damage easier. Lower level disc sucks because things die too quick, shield gets eaten in 1 sec. and atonement doesn't do shit for healing. I feel pretty confident using it in 5 mans as long as the group has a brain.

Also I dislike that you have to choose from some talents that should clearly be baseline.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I don't know that it's entirely based around perception that Disc is bad. It has a steep learning curve though and there's not a great environment to work through that for most players. You have to consider that Disc went from being the easiest healing spec to play to the hardest overnight, so traditional Disc players are not typically great candidates for picking up the new version.

FeD.nL

Damn, it's been a long time since I was this excited by WoW. Resubbed last week and this event is really hitting all the right notes for me. Past expansions were basically levelling two/three character to max level and abandon it but this time I'm getting WotLK vibes.

Cannot wait for the 30th.

Aeana

I don't know that it's entirely based around perception that Disc is bad. It has a steep learning curve though and there's not a great environment to work through that for most players. You have to consider that Disc went from being the easiest healing spec to play to the hardest overnight, so traditional Disc players are not typically great candidates for picking up the new version.
Right, I recognized in an earlier post that the skill cap on this is much higher than other healers, at least potentially. I was struggling because I don't like DPSing so I'm not very good at it, but I think it helped that I am used to managing DPS and healing simultaneously thanks to scholar in FF14, so I've managed to adapt.

biaxident

I find disc to be a lot of fun to play. I just like how they heal completely differently from the other healers. Mouseover macro's are key for sure. Raid wise, I feel like they might need innervates for aoe situations, power word radiance really eats the mana quickly for the aoe situations. In raid's i've found myself going oom some, gotta keep working at it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Should've gotten it four years ago but I'm glad I finally got this motherfucka.
Q7O51ug.png

Still need to get the normal version and the normal version, though, so I still gotta do DS...

Aeana

I'm going into Legion once again wishing I had the water strider mount. I never took the time to grind the rep and with each expansion I find myself wishing I had done it.

Shahadan

It's fun and I've been a disc forever so I'll stick with it no matter what, but I 100% expect people to be annoying shits about it, having trouble finding groups, being talked down like I'm trash, and probably blizzard backpedaling next expansion cause people would have once again ruined everything.

My artifact still looks the best and they're all jealous.

Class hall is utter trash though

Zelias

Banned
I'm going into Legion once again wishing I had the water strider mount. I never took the time to grind the rep and with each expansion I find myself wishing I had done it.
It might be a bit late now but I just did Angler's dailies until I hit Exalted (get the commendation at Revered for double rep gains), and then bought the mount last month.

Edit: Oh and the Dread Wastes Anglers questline too.

Mowgli

Banned
Hi Gaf WOW community! I am thinking of starting WOW and was wondering if Legion would be a good time to start? I tried starting a long time ago in the Vanilla WOW days but never made it past the first 2 months. I enjoyed my time for what it was, the conundrum I have now is not a whole lot of time to play (family/job) . If yes what would you recommend as a good starting character.

Zelias

Banned
Hi Gaf WOW community! I am thinking of starting WOW and was wondering if Legion would be a good time to start? I tried starting a long time ago in the Vanilla WOW days but never made it past the first 2 months. I enjoyed my time for what it was, the conundrum I have now is not a whole lot of time to play (family/job) . If yes what would you recommend as a good starting character.
An expansion launch is generally always a good time to start as it's like a fresh reset for all characters pretty much, since everyone has to level and gear up again. For buying Legion you also get a free boost to level 100 (the starting level for Legion) so you don't have to level through all the old content to get to the endgame. Though if you want to explore that you can always do so on an alt!

As for which class... that depends what you want. Druids are capable of all four major roles in the game with their specs (Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS) so that might be something to consider if you're not sure what you want. They just added class trials where you can try out a character at level 100 but I haven't used one of those so I couldn't tell you how useful they are for seeing how much you like a character.

Not having much time won't really stop you. The game is a lot less grindy in most of the places that count than it used to be - especially compared to Vanilla.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't understand any of the things people put in the premade groups -> raids thing

except that i need item level 710, and i have no idea how to get that without already having done raids

Mowgli

Banned
An expansion launch is generally always a good time to start as it's like a fresh reset for all characters pretty much, since everyone has to level and gear up again. For buying Legion you also get a free boost to level 100 (the starting level for Legion) so you don't have to level through all the old content to get to the endgame. Though if you want to explore that you can always do so on an alt!

As for which class... that depends what you want. Druids are capable of all four major roles in the game with their specs (Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS) so that might be something to consider if you're not sure what you want. They just added class trials where you can try out a character at level 100 but I haven't used one of those so I couldn't tell you how useful they are for seeing how much you like a character.

Not having much time won't really stop you. The game is a lot less grindy in most of the places that count than it used to be - especially compared to Vanilla.

Thanks for the quick response ! and good tips I have been watching people stream the beta and it looks fun I mainly play D3 seasons and it looks somewhat similar as far as skills and stuff.

biaxident

It might be a bit late now but I just did Angler's dailies until I hit Exalted (get the commendation at Revered for double rep gains), and then bought the mount last month.

Edit: Oh and the Dread Wastes Anglers questline too.

I just hit revered myself, got the commendation and raft at least. Now I didn't know this dread waste questline was a thing, start at klaxxi?

Daniel R

i don't understand any of the things people put in the premade groups -> raids thing

except that i need item level 710, and i have no idea how to get that without already having done raids

Getting full invasion gear + a few kazzak drops at 720 will get you close.
Also, the pvp gear is 710.

Zelias

Banned
I just hit revered myself, got the commendation and raft at least. Now I didn't know this dread waste questline was a thing, start at klaxxi?
You have to do a few Klaxxi quests and then you can fly down to the Anglers village on the south coast and start the questline there. Not enormously long but it does boost your rep a bit.

phierce

16 days until Legion. You can still get it or get within a day or so of getting it. Takes about 10 minutes a day. Stop complaining and do it 😁

(Without doing the math, I think it's 19? days to get exalted from 0 with just doing the 3 anglers dailies...so yeah)

carlsojo

Invasion exp is probably going to get me at least one more alt leveled to 100 before Legion, especially when the Invasions get closer together.

sora87

Invasion exp doesn't seem to be as high as it was the other day on my warrior alt D:

Learning to play warrior is weird too, arms doesn't seem to have a lot of skills

Top Bottom